K9-11 Pet Emergency! Ep 1 [Comedy] [Free] [Demo] [Cute]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Re: K9-11 Pet Emergency! Ep 1 [Comedy] [Free] [Demo] [Cute]

#16 Post by skyeworks »

niannn wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 pm I know right xD if I didn't have to shade than I wouldn't do it since it will be faster to create sprites while making sure that you take note of everything that needs to be done. As I watched in the Game Dev Underground Channel, there's always a 10% that although tedious needs to be done (am I making sense? haha). And yep, programming does take time so sometimes I try to not make my VN complicated as well.

And I really liked your idea and the overall art (it makes me look forward to the game more!). I'm looking forward to the shenanigans and to know certain key characters (and know what's really up with Rex's Dad). Also, yay, extras (I really want to know more about what dogs they are inspired off of)! Anyways, will we ever see a human character? Like Rex's owner perhaps? Like see Rex live the double life of being a good boy and a good boy cop?
OOOH, that 10 % thing makes sense! (It's not that I'm trying to make it complicated just that I would get bugs because my code is messy probably)

Human character? I had plans but not sure if it will fit so we'll see! (I basically create an outline of what I want to be done in that day and sometimes things change so I plan for something like that but who knows, it might not fit the story.) The story is meant to be very cheesy sorta predictable kind of like buddy cop movie or maybe a Disney movie. (Also, I"m looking forward to your vn, I'm so hyped for a snarky heroine!)

bobconway wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:31 pm This... is exactly what I needed right now. It's adorable and looks polished and has adorable animals in it. What isn't to love?

Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this?
I think it looks fine and works well for the game

Would you play something like this?
Yes!

Do you like the characters so far?
Yes! They all have such personality, even if they're just calling in briefly. I really like the interactions between the gruff older uncle and the eager young recruit (Sparky and Rex).
The character portraits are also super adorable, and emotive.

What would you like to see from this game?
Just... more, I guess. This is exactly what I was wanting, and I'm intrigued by the mystery as well as amused by the 911 callers asking for help with things that totally make sense as dogs.
The demo is short but is it interesting? Did you like any of the dogs?
The demo is great! Two days plus just enough of the overarching plot was enough to really get an idea of the game and its humor.
Thanks so much for playing the game! I'm so glad you liked it! It's my first game so you calling polished is pretty amazing! I'm going to try to answer the notes because I want to thank you for the detailed notes, it's so helpful!!! I made this game so people can be happy and laugh. Sparky and Rex dialogue, when I first wrote it was hard lol because I didn't want to write Sparky as too mean or Rex as too dumb, I wanted to show that Sparky is one week from retirement and he is SO DONE.

- The little things, like bouncing animations, are kind of perfect, and I'm kind of a fan of the meta interface explanation at the beginning.
lol you know what's funny is that I almost cut that out from the game because It glitched during the part where you meet the chief so I got scared and was thinking no one notices those kinds of things anyway. I should cut it.
- Minor nitpick: When you select an option at the beginning to ask Sparky, the options you select don't go away.
I'll have to look up tutorials, haha. I didn't know how.
- "-When can I go out to the fields?!" probably doesn't want the leading -
I wanted to show that Rex interrupted Sparky by asking him that question.
- "The creator isn't very good at drawing machinery." :D :D :D
OwO yeah... lol I can't draw machinery. and it's totally not a computer monitor.
- Maya is adorable!
I had to reference so much for that cuteness. lol Because I am noob at dogs now this game kinda forces me to draw doggos. (Usually draw anime lol)
- The portrait for Rex sending in the troops is perfect
Took me a while to find the right music for that animation, I ended up combining it with the howl to make it awesome.
- The ball was never thrown? :o
Sorry, I was referring to the old game where someone would pretend to throw a ball but actually hide the ball behind their back to trick the dog.
- All caps with Sean, including the choices, are great
- Rex never says his name to Chica, but she thanks him by name
Oh...That's totally my fault, so in the first version of the demo, Rex actually did introduce his hame to her when she asked. I rewrote her dialogue(due to other things) and forgot to delete her calling Rex by name. (I figured that Rex wouldn't introduce himself as Rex after Maya/Sparky have told him not to.) The first demo ended on Day 1 which was a great stopping point too, IMO but it didn't introduce the other two dogs so it made me sad.
- The little comic interludes when you send in the hounds are great
It's pretty fun to come up with them, they have the same format but a unique solution.
- "You welcome" Not sure if that typo is intentional or not
- "How cold! Even when it' concerns... Your father?" should be "it"
- "...You promised?"
- "Didn't we just talked?"
- "You think I would just give on your dad just like that?"
- "But why chose a cat?"

Ah, There it is. A need for more editing. That's it, I'll need to give the final dialogue to someone to proofread. Thank you so much for catching those!
- Dog jumping scene! So great!
Trade secret, Silhouette drawings are so easy to animate.
- Gizmo! :D
He's trash. :D

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#17 Post by bobconway »

skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 am- The ball was never thrown? :o
Sorry, I was referring to the old game where someone would pretend to throw a ball but actually hide the ball behind their back to trick the dog.
Sorry. I meant that I totally got that reference and found it hilarious how stupified Rex was by the revelation. Dogs are adorable.
skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 amI'll have to look up tutorials, haha. I didn't know how.

Code: Select all

$ choice1_selected = False
$ choice2_selected = False
label mymenu:
menu:
    "Choice 1" if not choice1_selected:
        "Say things!"
        $ choice1_selected = True
        jump mymenu
    "Choice 2" if not choice2_selected:
        "Say different things!"
        $ choice2_selected = True
        jump mymenu
    "Done":
        "Done!"

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

#18 Post by niannn »

skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 am OOOH, that 10 % thing makes sense! (It's not that I'm trying to make it complicated just that I would get bugs because my code is messy probably)

Human character? I had plans but not sure if it will fit so we'll see! (I basically create an outline of what I want to be done in that day and sometimes things change so I plan for something like that but who knows, it might not fit the story.) The story is meant to be very cheesy sorta predictable kind of like buddy cop movie or maybe a Disney movie. (Also, I"m looking forward to your vn, I'm so hyped for a snarky heroine!)
Yep, the 10% is when things get really messy at times and usually what holds one back from releasing.

I see. I see. Welps, the outlining is really hard to stick by at first for me too since things usually change when you start writing it out. However, at least you have a plan and not grasping wildly at what might sound good and what fits the story next. And I see if that's the direction its meant to take then that's okay! (and once again, thanks for looking forward to my VN)
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#19 Post by skyeworks »

niannn wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:42 am
skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 am OOOH, that 10 % thing makes sense! (It's not that I'm trying to make it complicated just that I would get bugs because my code is messy probably)

Yep, the 10% is when things get really messy at times and usually what holds one back from releasing.

I see. I see. Welps, the outlining is really hard to stick by at first for me too since things usually change when you start writing it out. However, at least you have a plan and not grasping wildly at what might sound good and what fits the story next. And I see if that's the direction its meant to take then that's okay! (and once again, thanks for looking forward to my VN)
I don't stick strictly by the outline, but I swear by it now because I started this project last year and took a hiatus because (A hurricane came I had to help my family plus school was pretty much wack.) And while I remembered the basic stuff, I could not remember a minorish important plot point. So I had to make something up but it's seems to be good!
bobconway wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 am
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED!

skyeworks
Regular

#20 Post by skyeworks »

So originally I intended K9-11 to more film noir in tone. Rex was not the main character but Sparky the detective was the main character! Sparky was the first character I drew, (despite Rex being the reason I started the game, I had trouble drawing him and his expressions so I wanted to make him a side character.)

Image Image Image

"You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. " That's what they said when they tried to reject me from the force. Jokes on them, I was born tricky.

Very pretty aesthetic imo. Then I found out how time-consuming it was to shade every one of the dogs. (Let me tell you, it's time-consuming for me because both dogs and Film Noir style was something that I don't usually draw so it takes me time, at the expense of the story.) Even now, I look at this pic and think I should fix something, it's really is a mess. lol.

Rex plays somewhat the same role except he follows Sparky around and comments on things. If anyone ever played the Professor Layton games, it would be similar to the Professor and Luke, except Sparky would be really gruff explaining things. Then the same thing about phone calls that you would have to stop Rex from choosing the bad decision. The comedy would still be there but it would be a little different! I was going for an Arcade sort of feel with the game menu as you can see here: The text was kinda bright to give it a nightlife sorta feel. Though I'm not happy with the bright text so would have probably changed it 3,4 times.

"The mangled bones" was the most Film Noir-ish title I could think of.
Maybe this can be a spin-off mini vn after the main one is finished! (The story for the game was much shorter than the current one and it was more centered on Sparky and Rex's dad rather than Rex)
Last edited by skyeworks on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

#21 Post by niannn »

skyeworks wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 pm
niannn wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:42 am

I don't stick strictly by the outline, but I swear by it now because I started this project last year and took a hiatus because (A hurricane came I had to help my family plus school was pretty much wack.) And while I remembered the basic stuff, I could not remember a minorish important plot point. So I had to make something up but it's seems to be good!
I see, I see. Well, anything that works will be fine. And yep, having to juggle through personal matters will really end up with not being able to do some VN related things. I can also totally relate with not remembering minorish important plot points xD (my outline sometimes is all over the place. I don't indicate what's major or minor. I just jot down things that I think should happen or will happen in a certain chapter.
Image Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#22 Post by Zelan »

Oh man, a dog-centric noir VN would have been awesome. cx Comedy is great too, though, I'm excited for the full release!

skyeworks
Regular

#23 Post by skyeworks »

Zelan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:09 pm Oh man, a dog-centric noir VN would have been awesome. cx Comedy is great too, though, I'm excited for the full release!
The Noir story was still funny, but more around the lines of fact it was over-the-top serious about mundane dogs things. (One of the cases that Sparky took was that a dog's sibling has been kidnapped when actually the sibling was taken to the vet. CUE INTENSE RESCUE MISSION!

I'm so glad! I'm been working on it little by little but I think it's really turning out really well! Hopefully, the comedy stays funny! The one good thing about this VN is that it's teaching me so much about game dev and programming. (I actually made a custom menu this time!) Mostly trying to figure out how to do certain things was fun to do!