Tales From Windy Meadow [Fantasy/Slice of life/Pixel Art]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aureus
Veteran
Completed: The Tavern, Tales From Windy Meadow
Projects: Roadwarden
Organization: Moral Anxiety Studio
itch: moral-anxiety

Re: Tales From Windy Meadow [Fantasy/Slice of life/Pixel Art]

#106 Post by Aureus »

The last month and a half are just so... What's the opposite of "soul-crushing"? Soul-building?
Anyway, all of the parts of the larger picture finally work together and look as they were supposed to. : )
SSS01.png
SSS02.png
SSS03.png
SSS04.png
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

Aureus
Veteran

#107 Post by Aureus »

Greetings!

Very soon we plan to share 1) the trailer 2) the demo version of the game 3) the Steam page for wishlisting. The former two are almost there - if they pass the testing process, we should be able to share them next Saturday. : )

Also, there is a good chance that Oray Studios (which makes a huge part of the game's graphics!) will show our work at G-Star 2018 in South Korea in just a couple of weeks!
indiedevhour01.png
SSS08.png
SSS07.png
SSS06.png
SSS05.png
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#108 Post by cedes »

Super exciting the progress of the game! Can't wait to test it out <3

Aureus
Veteran

#109 Post by Aureus »

cedes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:13 am Super exciting the progress of the game! Can't wait to test it out <3
Thank you so much! : ))

Aureus
Veteran

#110 Post by Aureus »

So, the trailer wasn't officially shared in social media... I was hoping to see your opinion first since I can still try to change it.
This version, however, is very close to my heart and I'm happy to share it with you. : )
Since this Visual Novel is a bit different, I wanted its trailer to also be unique. But is it even good? Do you like it?

In the meantime, I think I fixed all the bugs and problems from the demo version of the game. I was planning to share it through itch.io, but I decided to wait with it for about a week.

Nevertheless, if you find this project interesting and you would like to see the beginning of all 3 stories that are a part of the entire game, you can download the demo from here. : )

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#112 Post by AntiquedFae »

I need to drop in and say that this game's visuals are just amazing. When you say it all came together, that doesn't begin to describe how fantastic everything looks. I've been following this game casually for a while and I am so, so happy to see what you have managed to create! It looks absolutely spectacular. Be proud. Be so, so proud.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Aureus
Veteran

#113 Post by Aureus »

AntiquedFae wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 pm Be proud. Be so, so proud.
Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me! I hope I won't disappoint you.

I'm afraid the marketing side was quite a failure and it may be that the game will end up unnoticed... But I'm still doing my best trying to make a Visual Novel that I will love. ^^

roytam

#114 Post by roytam »

Hi,

I have watched the trailer video of this game. The trailer looks interesting and nice.

I hope that many gamers will love this visual novel....Sure!!

Aureus
Veteran

#115 Post by Aureus »

roytam wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 am I have watched the trailer video of this game. The trailer looks interesting and nice.
Thank you so much for your kind words as well as your time! I appreciate it!

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#116 Post by Preseva »

I am sorry to hear that marketing was not as successful as hoped, but once it is finished I have a hard time imagining that this game could go completely unnoticed. This is something truly special: the care, consideration, passion, and talent that has gone into it is evident in every screenshot. I believe its difference is its strength, and it may miss the VN crowd for that, but it will have more mass appeal. It is certainly resonating with the part of me that has always wanted to see a return of the 1990s era of CRPGs given a more modern depth. It's a niche audience for sure, but a dearly wanted type of game for people like us. Here's to hoping a site like Kotaku picks it up once it's done.

I asked a friend what he would think if he saw a game like this while browsing through Steam, and he said, "I'd pause." It sounds like a small thing, but to get even a second of someone's time is so, so precious and rare and says a lot about what kind of game this is: it stands out.

In any case, it is on my wishlist now!

Aureus
Veteran

#117 Post by Aureus »

Preseva wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 pm This is something truly special: the care, consideration, passion, and talent that has gone into it is evident in every screenshot. (...) Here's to hoping a site like Kotaku picks it up once it's done.
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I can't help but blush a little since it's still possible that the game in itself is just awful and I am too delusional to see it. It's just the type of personality I have. Nevertheless, I will try my best to make you smile you are going to see the game on your wishlist in the nearby future. : )

Aureus
Veteran

#118 Post by Aureus »

Well hello there!

Our developer had a bit of time to spare and we are trying something new. From now on, many of the character sprites will have irides that reflect their character portraits. Details still may change, but it's a fun way to make some characters look more unique during the scenes which introduce multiple characters at once.

And since it's a feature that should have been added four months ago or so, making it work required modifying something like 1400 PNG files. This is what our dev gets for making late-development changes. Bad planning at its finest.
fabelfrontpointingfull.png
indiedevhourvena.png

Aureus
Veteran

#119 Post by Aureus »

It was a difficult week, but quite efficient as far as working on Tales From Windy Meadow goes. We are now working on the epilogue, but also fixing older graphics that don't match the level of the rest of the game, adding new sound effects and, of course, fixing the dialogues.

In some parts our designer rewrites pretty much 60%-80% of the original script. Yikes.

At least the music is fantastic and needs no work whatsoever. ^^
sss01.png
sss02.png
sss03.png

Aureus
Veteran

#120 Post by Aureus »

Whenever I feel like I need to take a break from developing Tales From Windy Meadow, I try to add to the backgrounds some animated critters. : P