The Hayseed Knight (Chapter 2 available!) [Comedy][Adventure]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SandraMJ
Completed: The Hayseed Knight
Projects: The Hayseed Knight
itch: sandramj

The Hayseed Knight (Chapter 2 available!) [Comedy][Adventure]

#1 Post by SandraMJ »

The Hayseed Knight is an indie visual novel that follows the adventures of Ader, the one eyed deer, while he desperately tries to stay on track to fulfill his dream: becoming a knight. On a meta sense, the player is The Narrator, a character hellbent on finding out what truly happened to Ader and his friends, who are little more than legendary characters at this point.

This is still very much in development, so anything is subject to change in future versions! If you want to help me develop this game, there's a patreon and any contribution is really appreciated :)

Download it for free on itch.io and keep up with development on twitter
  • Fully and lovingly voice acted!
  • Gorgeous, animated sprites! MOVING IMAGES? WHOA!
  • Meet adorable, unique characters!
  • Romance is cool and all, but have you seen the lore?!
  • "IS THIS FURRY?" I DON'T CARE!
  • Exclamation! Marks!
Attachments
Screenshots 7.jpg
Screenshots 6.jpg
Screenshots 2.jpg
Screenshots 1.jpg
Last edited by SandraMJ on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

threebards

Re: The Hayseed Knight (demo)

#2 Post by threebards »

Hey, I saw your game on twitter from one of my followers from CCC! Your art style is amazing and I'm excited to see how the game turns out!

itch.io link is busted, though. :(
Nevermind it works now!

SandraMJ

#3 Post by SandraMJ »

Hey! I've been keeping an eye on yours as well, I think it's Griffin who we have in common, haha!

Hope you'll enjoy the demo ^^

Mello-Knight
Regular
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

#4 Post by Mello-Knight »

I've seen art for this popping up in my twitter feed as well! :D looks interesting. I like the idea of the player being the narrator.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

I agree with Mello-Knight, playing as the narrator sounds cool and I love meta stuff like that. It's also awesome to see another game with anthro characters - there aren't nearly enough of those. ^_^

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey SandraMJ,

I cant believe more people haven't commented on this post! I tried out the demo recently and I must say I really enjoyed myself. Right from the get-go I immediately had a feeling I was in for something special. It is such a polished product (even though the BG's are still very rough) and alot of care in the animations and movement were so refreshing! It had way more animation than I've ever seen in any VN I've played. It's inspiring and I hope to do some of that in my next VN.

The world is very rich in lore and flavor as well. I found myself reading alot of the notes/annotations not cause I was lost but because I was genuinely interested in the universe being shown.

Also the voice acting...I'm usually wary of voice acting in VN's...1 of the things I like about VN's is I can imagine their voices any which way I want (which is probably why I prefer the older JRPG's lol). Alot of voiceactors also come across as very..."voice actory" and not natural at all. The voices in your game were cartoony but not annoying and so I found myself loving it and them, the characters in turn.

Ader's voice was especially surprisingly good! I knew he was kinda going for that dumb jock feel, which would normally be aggravating but his voice and characterization of Ader was endearing (no pun intended). Ader was by far my fav character...so cute!

Anyways, goodluck on the dev and hope to see more of this VN soon!
ImageImage
ImageImage

SandraMJ

#7 Post by SandraMJ »

First off, thank you so much for your kind words!

I do believe that furry art tends to drive people away, haha. Alas! Hopefully it'll gain traction as I publish new updates in the future.

I have to admit that polished backgrounds have never been my forte to be honest, but I'll try to have something nicer looking for future releases! Thank you very much for pointing that out!

I'm really glad to hear you liked the voice acting! It's been one of my priorities since the start, and I got very involved acting as the director and working with the voice actors to develop the characters themselves and find quirks that added to the appeal of each one. I'm immesely proud of my team of VA's and I'm glad it paid of! — speaking of, Belsheber Rusape is the VA for Ader, in case you wish to keep up with his work!

I'll try my best to keep delivering an even more enjoyable product in the future! Thanks a lot once more!

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#8 Post by illuminate001 »

Is Hayseed Knight considered furry?! Well I suppose it is, but if it drives ppl away I have no clue why...Disney has tons of "furry" movies with at least talking animals with incredibly human traits if not outright anthropomorphic (like Robin Hood) and ppl still love Disney. I dunno *shrugs* ppl are weird.

Anyways yes I'll keep my eye on your project. Is this your first ever VN btw?
ImageImage
ImageImage

SandraMJ

#9 Post by SandraMJ »

Yeah, that kind of look will only drive away people who have preconceptions like "ugh, it's furry, it's going to be NSFW or dumb or something". People who have grown up with Disney and stayed away from the internet or didn't get into subcultures never seem to have any problem like that!

Yup, it's my very first VN! I'd been in other game dev groups before, but since all of them fell apart due to group dramas, I just decided to try my hand at something where I could feasibly be in charge of art, writing and programming... and a VN made that possible! I've been lurking around the forums a lot to learn as much as I could!

SandraMJ

#10 Post by SandraMJ »

Bumping since the first chapter has been updated! I've worked on improving the art and added more expressions to the main character, who was severely lacking them; improved the UI as well to make the encyclopaedia more noticeable, and added a French translation as well as the Spanish one!

Here's a comparison between the two versions:

(previous)
(current)

I had to switch back to Ren'Py 6.99.12.4 for this, however. 6.99.13 gave me some major lag when it came to ATL animations (I tried following the instructions in "compatibility issues" to no avail!).

peppermintdragon

#11 Post by peppermintdragon »

Woahh! this is amazing! im going to download and try it out later :D
My WIP project: Hallow Mystery.
Check it out!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=26120

SandraMJ

#12 Post by SandraMJ »

Chapter 2 has just been released! You can download and play the continuation of the story for FREE!
I also updated the first post to make it prettier <3 Hopefully get to make a trailer soon.
Attachments
BANNER CHAPTER 2.jpg