Deliverance [GxG] [Neo-Noir] [Demo Available]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
crouchingbacon
Completed: Wishcraft, Whale's Waldo
Projects: Deliverance
Deviantart: fightingham
Soundcloud: paperprosciutto
itch: 12amstatic

Deliverance [GxG] [Neo-Noir] [Demo Available]

#1 Post by crouchingbacon »

Link to Demo:
https://12amstatic.itch.io/deliverance

Blog link:
https://12amstatic.tumblr.com

In the span of four days, down and out extortionist Rosca faces a personal hell. Her brother Oberon has just been killed and only time will tell if she is next. Fighting to satisfy rising quotas from a ruthless Boss while seeking solace from her loss, will she find damnation or deliverance?

Meet the crooks:

Rosca

Rosca works as an extortionist for the Black Aces, Veccio Palermo’s biggest criminal organization. She prefers the term tax collector, though. Her ambitions include winning the lottery, sleeping in on weekends and becoming the Boss’ main moll someday. Hey, anything for an easy life, and on this side of V.P., life is anything but that.

Oberon

Oberon is Rosca’s little brother, though everyone makes the mistake of thinking he’s the older sibling since he towers over most anyone he meets. The guy’s an extortionist like his sister, but where she’s a smooth talker, Oberon’s more of a music man. What music, you ask? Nothing but the sweet sound of curb-stomping, jaw-breaking chin music, of course.

Insp. Leola

Inspector Leola is a dirty cop. She often forgets to wash her hands before eating, says a lot of swear words and enjoys a good peep show once in a while. Oh, and she works for the Boss of the Black Aces, too; everyone needs a side-racket. She’s known Rosca and Oberon for three years and often accompanies them on their shady activities as a bodyguard. Well, Rosca’s bodyguard, at least.

Nic Dillinger

Nicasia “Nic” Dillinger is the Boss. Everything and everyone in V.P. is her bitch, whether they like it or not. Nobody really knows how she managed to take the top spot, since her story keeps on changing, but she sure knows how to spin the tale. One thing’s for sure though: be it lucre or love, she always plays for keeps.

Preview of GUI so far:

The Team:
  • Crouching Bacon – writer
  • Kamaloba – Sprite and BG artist
  • nimbusphoenix - CG artist
  • skarn – programmer
  • Tobin Reece – resident sound hound
  • olive – previous programmer, customized sprite script + shooting minigame
Thanks for checking us out! You can also follow our progress over at this devlog.
The VN prologue was made for the Yuri Jam 2017 event, which will ran from September 1st to October 31st.
The full game is being made and is planned for release around 4th quarter 2018.

Some questions for feedback, bruhs, if you’d please. o/
  • So, plot. Interesting or snoozefest?
  • Which character do you find most interesting? Least interesting? This game will be in multiple POV, and there are 4 characters, though only Rosca, Leola and Nic are pairable, as romantic interests.
  • How do you find the art style? The vibe?
  • Do you believe all VNs should have at least one happy ending; or would you feel cheated if you didn’t get at least one good end? I find this very important, since noir traditionally doesn’t have happy endings.
  • Anything else you want to say to the team? Post below, or email at hiddenfryer@gmail.com!
Last edited by crouchingbacon on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 am, edited 12 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Deliverance [GxG] [Neo-Noir] [Romance]

#2 Post by Zelan »

So, plot. Interesting or snoozefest?: Sounds cool! Though I'm sad that the brother has to die, he looks like a fun character.
Which character do you find most interesting? Least interesting? The two love interests for this game are Leola and Nic.: Leola's my favorite right now, but Nic looks fine in that suit.
How do you find the art style? The vibe?: I like the mostly black-and-white look of it. It's cool to do something different with the art.
Do you believe all VNs should have at least one happy ending; or would you feel cheated if you didn’t get at least one good end? I find this very important, since noir traditionally doesn’t have happy endings.: I can definitely understand that you want to stay within the genre. At the same time, I'm a sucker for fluffy happy endings.Maybe you could compromise and make at least one ending more bittersweet, with a leaning towards "sweet"? I'd probably still play it either way though.

Farryn
Regular
Projects: Diplomatic Relations
IRC Nick: Farryn
Tumblr: princessdealtry

#3 Post by Farryn »

So, plot. Interesting or snoozefest?
  • Loving it so far! Not enough gangster ladies out there in my opinio
n

Which character do you find most interesting? Least interesting? The two love interests for this game are Leola and Nic.
  • Gotta say I'm loving both Leola and Nic and have no idea who I'd choose first! I love that they're both in suits.
How do you find the art style? The vibe?
  • Feels very 1950's mobsters and very stylized to suit the setting.

Do you believe all VNs should have at least one happy ending; or would you feel cheated if you didn’t get at least one good end? I find this very important, since noir traditionally doesn’t have happy endings.
  • Personally I play VNs for the happy ending. As a queer person, I see enough of my favorite characters and characters I identify with get killed or a raw deal at the end of stories. Now, this doesn't mean I absolutely have to get the girl and everything is sunshine and rainbows at the end, but there needs to be at least 1 positive, kinda-hopeful ending for me to play. Also, please don't kill your gays unless it is very obviously coming and you have a lot of other lgbt chars in the story.
Looking forward to following this project!

crouchingbacon

#4 Post by crouchingbacon »

Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm So, plot. Interesting or snoozefest?: Sounds cool! Though I'm sad that the brother has to die, he looks like a fun character.
Thanks for checking us out! o/
Yeah, Oberon is a good bro. But the show must go on, and the plot gods need a sacrifice ;u;
Farryn wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm So, plot. Interesting or snoozefest?
  • Loving it so far! Not enough gangster ladies out there in my opinion
Never have truer words been spoken, bruh.
I'm just happy that a movie like Bound exists.
Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm Which character do you find most interesting? Least interesting? The two love interests for this game are Leola and Nic.: Leola's my favorite right now, but Nic looks fine in that suit.
Farryn wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm Which character do you find most interesting? Least interesting? The two love interests for this game are Leola and Nic.
  • Gotta say I'm loving both Leola and Nic and have no idea who I'd choose first! I love that they're both in suits.
YES. ALL THE SUITS.
NOT GONNA LIE: the main reason why i joined the jam in the first place was that i just wanted to see more women in gangster outfits
Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm How do you find the art style? The vibe?: I like the mostly black-and-white look of it. It's cool to do something different with the art.
We're working with a cool artist. She gets the vibe right, and I'm pretty happy with what she's done. Glad to hear it appeals to you too!
Farryn wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm How do you find the art style? The vibe?
  • Feels very 1950's mobsters and very stylized to suit the setting.
Heh, glad you got that vibe! Actually, the setting is kind of 20-minutes into the future, but we're not focusing on the tech or sci-fi aspects. I mainly moved it to the future because I couldn't find a smooth way of accounting for 1950s misogyny without distracting too much from plot and character.

Maybe someday, I'll write something tackling those stuff too, though. Very important themes.
Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm Do you believe all VNs should have at least one happy ending; or would you feel cheated if you didn’t get at least one good end? I find this very important, since noir traditionally doesn’t have happy endings.: I can definitely understand that you want to stay within the genre. At the same time, I'm a sucker for fluffy happy endings.Maybe you could compromise and make at least one ending more bittersweet, with a leaning towards "sweet"? I'd probably still play it either way though.
I've been doing a lot of thinking for the ending. But yeah, will probably go the bittersweet route.
Something hopeful, but still tinged with the blues.
Farryn wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm Do you believe all VNs should have at least one happy ending; or would you feel cheated if you didn’t get at least one good end? I find this very important, since noir traditionally doesn’t have happy endings.
  • Personally I play VNs for the happy ending. As a queer person, I see enough of my favorite characters and characters I identify with get killed or a raw deal at the end of stories. Now, this doesn't mean I absolutely have to get the girl and everything is sunshine and rainbows at the end, but there needs to be at least 1 positive, kinda-hopeful ending for me to play. Also, please don't kill your gays unless it is very obviously coming and you have a lot of other lgbt chars in the story.
Yeah, (literal) sunshine is in short supply here, but I feel like Rosca's gone through enough to at least deserve one hopeful end.

Hmm, character deaths may happen, but not because they're gay. More like... if you live in a crime-infested place like Veccio Palermo, and you're bound to get hurt somehow, sometime. If you live there, it's been coming afor you a long time, is what I'm saying, heh.

As for the ratio of gayness in this story, it's 75% lgbt+, as 3/4 of the characters are part of the spectrum (and hell, maybe Oberon too, if we give him enough tequila, who knows but we'll never know because he dies loool).

Thanks again for your comments!

crouchingbacon

#5 Post by crouchingbacon »

Also, jam progress update!

We're joined by skarn, who will now be our primary programmer for the project!
(And if you're thirsty for more yuri, check out their game Melos~)

The extortion minigame will have a timed typing mechanic; here's a down and dirty preview of things to come:

Current word count is sitting at 14.5k. That's 29% of a 50k script.

fuck, i just noticed that the screencaps feature a very poor combination of words.
NSA, if you're reading this, please don't lock me up:
this game doesn't have anything to do with children, or entertainment with children ;u;

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

T y p i n g M i n i g a m e

I want this even more now. Will the minigame be optional and/or have difficulty modes, though? I personally love the idea of this game, but for those who struggle with typing or just prefer their VNs without minigames, it would probably be a good idea to have something like that.

crouchingbacon

#7 Post by crouchingbacon »

Zelan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm Will the minigame be optional and/or have difficulty modes, though? I personally love the idea of this game, but for those who struggle with typing or just prefer their VNs without minigames, it would probably be a good idea to have something like that.
Yeah, accessibility is pretty important. Maybe we'll go for a difficulty mode in the near future, or offer a choice-based option instead.
Our first priority is actually finishing something for you to play though!

Also, also also!
Jam update:

The sound hound delivers.
Picked two groovy tunes for you to listen to. Can you guess whose themes they are? B)
(Click here ♫ and here ♪!)

Rosca now has expressions™
What a smug snake

Minigame update:
Added an "attack" system, a timer and two status indicators.

Wordcount:

30 days left 'til jam's end.
*hyperventilates*

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

The gameplay section seems like it's gonna be fantastic! ^_^ As for the songs, I'm gonna guess that Off The Cuff is Rosca's theme and Anthem is Nic's. (Anthem sounds so cool, by the way. It really has that noir feel to it.)

crouchingbacon

#9 Post by crouchingbacon »

Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:27 pm The gameplay section seems like it's gonna be fantastic! ^_^ As for the songs, I'm gonna guess that Off The Cuff is Rosca's theme and Anthem is Nic's. (Anthem sounds so cool, by the way. It really has that noir feel to it.)
Oh, we'll try to deliver, bruh. o>

Good guesses, but you only get 50% right!
Off The Cuff is Leola's theme. But yeah, Anthem is a dead giveaway, huh B)

Welp, time for a jam progress update.

We're joined by nimbusphoenix, who will be our CG artist! Check their portfolio out, it's puretty, yo.

Oberon and Leola now have emotions™
Have some:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Extortion screen tweaks eyy:

The words to be typed will probably be in the upper area.
We're still working things out, but this is what it'll probably look like in the final iteration.
The blue character in the middle is the mark, who'll have a sprite of their own.

Managed to catch a timer bug in the minigame, but programmer fixed that right up.

A new track has been added, called Blanc.
In the words of our soundhound:
uploaded a new file named "Blanc", because it's a romantic piano song so by nature doesn't sound very noir. I'm sure i'm the only person in the world who ever thought to name something the antonym of the word noir, wow what a visionary i am.
still, it's a nice lil tune
(Click here to give it a listen ♫ )

After tons of editing and a major character reinterpretation somebody stop me, all those words killed by the backspace key wordcount is at:

21 days left before jam's end
wew

that said, we'll still be polishing this game after the jam. o>
as usual, thanks for checking us out ey.

crouchingbacon

#10 Post by crouchingbacon »

Lol, wow, it's been a roller coaster ride since the first day.

In the end, we decided to shift POV for the demo.
Maybe even use multiple POVs for the in-game story.

But without further ado, here's the demo.
We hope you enjoy o>

https://12amstatic.itch.io/deliverance
Last edited by crouchingbacon on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

becksbarrett
Projects: copacetic!
Tumblr: vkia

Re: Deliverance [GxG] [Neo-Noir] [Demo Available]

#11 Post by becksbarrett »

Hello & congrats on the demo! I've played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. The story in it was enough to hook me and leave craving for more plot, and the presentation was nice and polished.
I hope you'll stick to multiple POVs for the game, 'cause now I'm invested in Leola's story and I'd like to see how it plays out from her POV.

crouchingbacon

#12 Post by crouchingbacon »

becksbarrett wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 am Hello & congrats on the demo! I've played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. The story in it was enough to hook me and leave craving for more plot, and the presentation was nice and polished.
I hope you'll stick to multiple POVs for the game, 'cause now I'm invested in Leola's story and I'd like to see how it plays out from her POV.
We're glad to hear it, ey o>
Really wanted to give that noir feel.

Thanks for checking the demo out!
And yeah, you'll definitely be seeing more of Leola.
But heh, the question is, will she be able to see anything later on?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan »

I played the demo not long after it came out. It was short, but extremely polished, and it had me hooked really quickly. The bit with the hat had me screaming. I hope to see a full release for this someday. ^_^