Xagia Wars ~Magna Chapter~ [BxG][Fantasy,Romance,Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
XagiaWars
Projects: Xagia Wars
Organization: NextHeaven Circle

Xagia Wars ~Magna Chapter~ [BxG][Fantasy,Romance,Drama]

#1 Post by XagiaWars »

Check out our Prefundia page here!

Magica is one of the two greatest gifts given to all of the creatures of the Earth by the all-loving Xagia. It was the gift which has enabled Humankind to free themselves from the bound of an evil God, who calls himself Cahos.

Cahos has birthed a number of Divinus to help him in fulfilling his desire to conquer the Earth. With a fell swoop, all those who dwell the surface of the Earth have bent their knees in front of the malevolent Cahos, until Xagia sent Leonhart, the Mystical Beast, to help Humankind in their struggle against Cahos with the powers of Magica. Eventually, victory was seized by Humankind, and Cahos was sealed into a crystal.

Even if the struggle was over, Xagia still allowed Humankind to borrow the power of Magica through Leonhart. This power provides amplitude of benefits for the well-being of Humankind, all over the earth. Born to those who can wield it naturally, this is not a power one can learn to be able to use it.

Magna, a majestic kingdom born of such a long struggle. This kingdom is the home for those who can wield Magica, and those who cannot as well. This kingdom thrives in prosperity, with all of its citizens living their daily lives fulfilled and in harmony.

Isaac
, the main character of this story, is a youth who is a student of Magna Academy, the most prestigious school for those who can wield Magica. He lives his life with his loving parents, and dearest friends who love him. Until one day an incident happened, and turned his peaceful life upside-down. This incident turns out to be a part of a larger story waiting to unfold, and will not only affect his life.

This is not about Isaac
This is about the world… and Isaac is only a part of the prophecy…

We are a group of artists who love to draw digital arts, mostly fanarts. We’ve created and sold many kinds of fanart-based merchandise; artbooks, magazines, posters, badges, keychains, harisen (Japanese slapping paper fan), and many more!
As we grew more confident, we decided to create our own world and characters. Thus, we created our very first Visual Novel Project, Xagia Wars – Magna Chapter.
It is fun to design and develop something from scratch, and it is a whole new experience for us. As this is our first time, it also proves to be a challenge for us. But there is no hesitation in doing our best. With the assistance of Vifth Floor, we are confident in delivering the best outcome for this project.

Art Director: Aden Rohmana
Marketing: M. Iqbal Faruqi
Project Manager: Iqro SJ
Producer: Rudy Rachmawan Indrawanto
Writer: Loka S. Ratimaya
Sprite Artist, Character Designer: Chiiririn
Lead Artist, CG Artist: MysticSwordsman
Artists: Azalanz, Lazyremnant, daybreaks0, Hiikarin25, Eocore
Programming: froznkamui
Opening Song: Vesuvia.Ecky, iMochi
Proofreader, Translator: Ojupo Noskal

Check out our Prefundia page here!

Questions

1. What are your impressions of the characters and which character are you most interested in?

2. What are you looking forward to from this project?

3. How do you like the art style?

4. Are you interested in playing this visual novel?

5. Would you support this project on KickStarter?
Last edited by XagiaWars on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Xagia Wars ~Magna Chapter~ [BxG][Fantasy,Romance,Drama][Kickstarter]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I would suggest having your proofreader (or another one) look over this post. There are a few errors, especially on the character cards.

The art is super nice. I'd probably buy it once it came out, but whether or not I backed on Kickstarter would probably depend on the rewards.

Mikomi
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikomi »

Wow, the character art looks amazing! I like the character designs (the girls seem to own the short sleeves more than the boys, though, but I'd guess that's because they're drawn more dynamically). Sophia is definitely my favorite character so far, she looks great! (I see you guys must like her a lot too, since she's the face on all the divider art!) I look forward to seeing more of this project and hopefully supporting it a bit in the future.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm1. What are your impressions of the characters and which character are you most interested in?
Right now, I'm Team Elphia. Based on her character description, I think I would relate to her. I admit that it's because I have had trouble relating to other people, so I have delved into all kinds of fiction.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm2. What are you looking forward to from this project?
External conflict could be enjoyable. Maybe the characters will need to fight Divinus. Maybe they will deal with Cahos cultists.

It might be a good idea if the protagonist's relationships are *not* a crucial element of the story. I can certainly understand that Isaac would be interested in a significant other. However, I would discourage writing a story with the premise "if the protagonist doesn't get a girlfriend, then that leads to a Game Over screen." Perhaps he can overcome conflicts and enemies even if he just stays friends with other people.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm3. How do you like the art style?
I like it. However, it reminds me of some original Japanese language visual novels that I've read. For instance, I'm currently reading through Yoake Mae yori Ruri-Iro na, which is the first compuer OJLVN that I've tried in maybe three years. That said... in my opinion, Xagia Wars might stand out more if it had a distinct, offbeat art style. That's one thing which got me interested in the work-in-progress VNs Necrobarista and Tales From Windy Meadow.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm4. Are you interested in playing this visual novel?
I might enjoy it. However, there are a few things which leave me worried:

* What if it collapses under the weight of complex plans and high expectations? There are many examples of people talking about making freeware visual novels with a huge scope, exceptional art, a life-altering story, and aspects that are meant to change fandom forever. Not many freeware VNs get past the planning stages. I recommend reading the Why so many unfinished visual novels? thread.

* Make sure the story doesn't leave people wondering "Who's that again?" or "Where are they now?" This can be a problem in stories where the reader has to learn the names of many characters, places, abilities, organizations, and so on. You will benefit if the reader sees a name such as Xagia and remembers that it's the name of the lawful good deity. Be careful with your story's pacing, so that the reader learns a few things in each scene. A glossary might help.

* I recommend writing a story pitch, and mention very few names or fictional terms. Summarize your story in one, maybe two sentences. Focus on the plot.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

To give you a heads up, you will need a downloadable demo to post the Kickstarter itself here.

The one thing that flags me is that by promoting things like "Magna Chapter", "Xagia Wars 1st", and so on, it feels like this game is meant to be the first story in a larger series. That's kind of a warning sign to me - am I going to get a finished game here, or a cliffhanger that may or not be finished. My feeling is that even if you want a series it's best to just release the first part as a standalone game, perhaps with a hook for the next chapter. (Think about how Star Wars stands alone, but has Vader escaping at the end.)
gekiganwing wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm I like it. However, it reminds me of some original Japanese language visual novels that I've read. For instance, I'm currently reading through Yoake Mae yori Ruri-Iro na, which is the first compuer OJLVN that I've tried in maybe three years. That said... in my opinion, Xagia Wars might stand out more if it had a distinct, offbeat art style. That's one thing which got me interested in the work-in-progress VNs Necrobarista and Tales From Windy Meadow.
I don't think a game needs an "offbeat" art style just for the sake of being offbeat. The art looks great, and I can't see changing it for marketing reasons or something like that. In fact, I think that the styles gekiganwing suggest probably would have trouble supporting a game that wants to feel action oriented.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

XagiaWars
Projects: Xagia Wars
Organization: NextHeaven Circle

#6 Post by XagiaWars »

Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 pm I would suggest having your proofreader (or another one) look over this post. There are a few errors, especially on the character cards.

The art is super nice. I'd probably buy it once it came out, but whether or not I backed on Kickstarter would probably depend on the rewards.
Thanks for the feedback! It seems we already proofread it but failed to change the text on the character cards, since it has been made before we got ourselves the proofreader. Sorry about this! >_< we will replace it as soon as possible!
Mikomi wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:49 pm Wow, the character art looks amazing! I like the character designs (the girls seem to own the short sleeves more than the boys, though, but I'd guess that's because they're drawn more dynamically). Sophia is definitely my favorite character so far, she looks great! (I see you guys must like her a lot too, since she's the face on all the divider art!) I look forward to seeing more of this project and hopefully supporting it a bit in the future.
Thank you! We glad that you like her, we still have some more characters but we will post it along with the update progress later on!
gekiganwing wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm1. What are your impressions of the characters and which character are you most interested in?
Right now, I'm Team Elphia. Based on her character description, I think I would relate to her. I admit that it's because I have had trouble relating to other people, so I have delved into all kinds of fiction.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm2. What are you looking forward to from this project?
External conflict could be enjoyable. Maybe the characters will need to fight Divinus. Maybe they will deal with Cahos cultists.

It might be a good idea if the protagonist's relationships are *not* a crucial element of the story. I can certainly understand that Isaac would be interested in a significant other. However, I would discourage writing a story with the premise "if the protagonist doesn't get a girlfriend, then that leads to a Game Over screen." Perhaps he can overcome conflicts and enemies even if he just stays friends with other people.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm3. How do you like the art style?
I like it. However, it reminds me of some original Japanese language visual novels that I've read. For instance, I'm currently reading through Yoake Mae yori Ruri-Iro na, which is the first compuer OJLVN that I've tried in maybe three years. That said... in my opinion, Xagia Wars might stand out more if it had a distinct, offbeat art style. That's one thing which got me interested in the work-in-progress VNs Necrobarista and Tales From Windy Meadow.
XagiaWars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm4. Are you interested in playing this visual novel?
I might enjoy it. However, there are a few things which leave me worried:

* What if it collapses under the weight of complex plans and high expectations? There are many examples of people talking about making freeware visual novels with a huge scope, exceptional art, a life-altering story, and aspects that are meant to change fandom forever. Not many freeware VNs get past the planning stages. I recommend reading the Why so many unfinished visual novels? thread.

* Make sure the story doesn't leave people wondering "Who's that again?" or "Where are they now?" This can be a problem in stories where the reader has to learn the names of many characters, places, abilities, organizations, and so on. You will benefit if the reader sees a name such as Xagia and remembers that it's the name of the lawful good deity. Be careful with your story's pacing, so that the reader learns a few things in each scene. A glossary might help.

* I recommend writing a story pitch, and mention very few names or fictional terms. Summarize your story in one, maybe two sentences. Focus on the plot.
Thanks for your feedback!
1. We glad that you like her! Personally I like her too, there's some characters that we will post it soon~
2. Thanks for the insight, and yes as just you've guessed while this chapter revolves around Isaac but there's bigger story in a whole.
3. That's certainly interesting style from those two you mentioned, it is very distinct ^^
4. Thanks for the worry! While we have such worry we've been keep moving forward so far. We already promoted it on local conventions with the help of our sponsor so at this point, giving this up is not an option. A problem might arise, yes, but we optimist we will get past such hurdle!
PyTom wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm To give you a heads up, you will need a downloadable demo to post the Kickstarter itself here.

The one thing that flags me is that by promoting things like "Magna Chapter", "Xagia Wars 1st", and so on, it feels like this game is meant to be the first story in a larger series. That's kind of a warning sign to me - am I going to get a finished game here, or a cliffhanger that may or not be finished. My feeling is that even if you want a series it's best to just release the first part as a standalone game, perhaps with a hook for the next chapter. (Think about how Star Wars stands alone, but has Vader escaping at the end.)
gekiganwing wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm I like it. However, it reminds me of some original Japanese language visual novels that I've read. For instance, I'm currently reading through Yoake Mae yori Ruri-Iro na, which is the first compuer OJLVN that I've tried in maybe three years. That said... in my opinion, Xagia Wars might stand out more if it had a distinct, offbeat art style. That's one thing which got me interested in the work-in-progress VNs Necrobarista and Tales From Windy Meadow.
I don't think a game needs an "offbeat" art style just for the sake of being offbeat. The art looks great, and I can't see changing it for marketing reasons or something like that. In fact, I think that the styles gekiganwing suggest probably would have trouble supporting a game that wants to feel action oriented.

We glad that you mentioned it, we've been having discussion if we should not post this since the demo are still in progress but also since we technically haven't started the Kickstarter (but planned to) or other crowdfund sites, we don't have a link to it other than Prefundia site which aren't crowdfund site.

Also we understand with the worry since we've been looking for many unfinished VNs or even a failed kickstarter project to give us some insight. But since we have sponsor on our back (Vifth Floor) who released Just Deserts, we're pretty optimist about this. And yes this will be a standalone games, not chapters based like Life is Strange or many others ^^