After Years [BxB][Slice of Life][18+]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Tyrving
Projects: After Years

After Years [BxB][Slice of Life][18+]

#1 Post by Tyrving »

Howdy, everyone! It's nice to meet all of you.
I would like to share with you a game I've been working on for over two years.
AY_Logo.png

About the project :
After Years is an adult themed Visual Novel that features kemono (furry) characters.
The story revolves around Welkin – a young wolf who after six years finally reunites with his childhood friends during late, summer vacations. Spend a week in the peaceful, seaside town Rochelle, living your life to the fullest. Make decisions that will affect relations between protagonist and his friends – strenghten up dimmed bonds by becoming closer friends or go a step further by starting a romance relationship. The love knows no bounds.

Characters :
Angus_bio.png
Rowley_bio.png
Kegar_bio.png
Screenshots & Artwork :
Scr2.png
Scr1.png
scr7.png
Download :
The third demo of After Years (0.3.0) has just been published!
Download avaliable at GameJolt.

Questions :
-Despite the simple premise, do you find the story interesting?
-What are your expectations for this game?
-Which character appeals to you the most and why?
-What's your opinion about pacing of the story (and scenes lenght).
-Does the lack of choices make a significant impact on the way how you enjoy the game?
-Do you have any feedback/suggestions/questions?

Thank you very much for your time.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: After Years [BxB][Slice of Life][18+]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Tyrving, it's your 1st post so welcome to the forums! ^_^

Anyways I know I played AfterYears literally years ago, probably back when Ch.1 was the only one available. I really enjoyed it, and obviously my fav character was Angus lol.

So yes you address it in 1 of your questions, but there is indeed a lack of choices/decision making. The game feels like a kinetic VN...but, uh it's not supposed to be right? Personally I find myself dropping VN's that don't let me make choices earlier on enough. Certainly After Years does not come off as a VN where you can make choices, but your question implies that you can?

Anyways if you can clarify that, that would really help. Thanks!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tyrving

#3 Post by Tyrving »

Thank you for your warm welcome.
The questions were related to the current state of the game, where indeed, there was no choices at all.
However, the general idea behind the game is that the player will have to decide who he want to be with -
each character will have it short story (day) and at the end of it, there will be an important decision.

I asked this question, because I'm wondering if the lack of less important choices, make an serious impact on how this story is received.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

You're welcome :)

For me, it does affect how the story is perceived. I like to have many choices leading up to the "important decision", even if they don't actually impact the flow of the story or which route you are on.

1. More choices helps me feel like I'm more involved in the story, thus more immersed. Even if some choices don't have much impact.
2. Even if a choice is minor and doesnt affect the storyline, it can help reveal more about the character you're questioning for example. This also encourages replayability to a degree.
3. Choices help the player feel like they are building towards the climax (the important decision/choice).
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tyrving

#5 Post by Tyrving »

Thank you for the opinion, I really appreciate it.