Chevalier ♦♦♦ [BxB] [Fantasy, drama] (Now with twitter!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Saibraeus
Regular
Projects: Chevalier
Organization: Kogitsune

Re: Chevalier ♦♦♦ [BxB] [Fantasy, drama]

#31 Post by Saibraeus »

@Mitoky

I answered you on discord too but I'd like to say thank you once again for your kind words and encouragement!
I definitely have my ups and downs with this project so far. I can sometimes lose days/nights getting into the flow of things. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make my deadline but I might have been a bit too optimistic about my ability, haha...

As for the art, I'll definitely be taking your advice and holding off on it. I think I just get extra anxious if the beginning art isn't very good but I suppose there's no use fretting over that until I have something completed!

@Zelan
Hello again!
Thank you very much aaah T__T// It looks like I'll most definitely be including Noa's route so... there's that, haha!

===============================================

Updates again!

- I wasted two weeks playing Persona 5, oops...
- But on the upside I'm back and recharged!
- I'm still a little stuck on the last backgrounds (And looking for ways to get around'em...)
- While procrastinating on the above, I have the full GUI finished though!
- Put up a recruitment thread for some coder help
- Finished fully scripting the first two scenes (With music!)
- Didn't realize finding proper music was so difficult...
- Coded a little less than half the demo so it's slowly coming together T__T//
- Finished the chapter card... Also while procrastinating on the BGs.

Until next time!
ss (2018-05-25 at 10.43.37).png
ss (2018-05-24 at 06.30.32).png

Saibraeus
Regular

#32 Post by Saibraeus »

Hello!

Wow, it's been two years huh?
Fear not! I haven't abandoned this project but I did go and super level up my art skills so hopefully things will go a lot smoother from here on, particularly in the background department.

Some general updates:

I did finally get around to updating the summary. Hopefully it's more concise and less convoluted now!

And in the near future I'll be searching for a sound designer. That was actually the part I got stuck on.
I'm also thinking of looking for a co-writer, so if you know anyone who's interested in these two positions do shoot me a message. I can't pay but I can possibly negotiate a skill trade! (I'll write a formal looking thread once I finish editing the script and such T__T)

In the mean time, I'll be finishing up my portfolio and classes by Saturday and returning to this project full time.

I do have a minor concern:
Because I've gotten so much better and for the sake of speed, the new backgrounds might not particularly match the old backgrounds. Going by general advice, I'm holding off on redrawing anything until I have everything in place. I only have a few more backgrounds left to do for the demo so hopefully the switch from clean to concept-like quick paintings won't be too jarring...

Anyway, hope everyone's staying safe and doing well!

Edit: Oh yes! I forgot to mention that I'm honoured to have Mitoky on board as my programmer now! So we'll have to be redoing things a bit from scratch because my original file was a disaster, lmao.

meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

#33 Post by meowworkstm »

I always lurk on the forums, but I'm really glad to see you coming back to your game!! I had my eye on Chevalier for a while and I'm happy to see it's not abandoned since I love the premise and characters. Best of luck to your team and finding a writer! If you make a formal thread I might consider applying as a co-writer but I'm not too sure how my schedule will be looking haha

Saibraeus
Regular

#34 Post by Saibraeus »

meowworkstm - Hi hi!! Sorry for the late reply. I always feel self conscious if I respond without any real updates, haha.
But thank you very much! It always brightens my day to have someone drop by and mention they're excited to see the things I'm working on.
As for the hiring thread, we actually have one now!

I opened it a little on the sly, oops.

Do feel free to peek in if it still interests you!

=======================
That said, moving onto general updates!
- I do have one co-writer on board at the moment and (possibly?) a sound designer so we're doing this...(?!?)
- I've finished editing the demo script in full now! Passing the torch onto the other team members while I crack my whip and drink tea, ye.
- Finished Raphael's expressions (That's all of'em!) and in general tidied up/did some housekeeping for the team to be on the same page.

Not much to show but there should be more visually in the coming weeks, as I'll be catching up on the remaining BGs.

Also dead fighting with myself to not try to redraw everything!! I've improved an astonishing amount in the last two years and it's honestly killing me. T__T

In any case, happy holidays everyone! You're almost at the end of 2020 so hang in there!!

Saibraeus
Regular

#35 Post by Saibraeus »

Hi hi! We're back for real so here's an update with Cyra's penthouse.
I basically had this lined and flat coloured two years ago so compositionally there's a lot lacking. Nonetheless, I thinks it's serviceable until I have time to redo things.

Screenshot_8.png

Otherwise, not much to say aside from everyone slowly working on their parts, but with this there's only one BG and two variations left to do.

I'm also redoing the menu page but that's really it for visual assets. Just needs to be coded and music input before the demo is more or less ready!

Hope everyone's having a good holiday season! Please take care!

caibanh

#36 Post by caibanh »

Oh my, I'm so glad to see your update! Really! (I've stalk this game for a long time!)

1/Does it matter a lot whether the main character's name is changeable when they have a thoroughly set personality?
If the game don't have wide customable choice for MC personality (like Our Life, Queen's Crown, Ebon Light, etc) I much more prefer a protagonist with set personality.

2/Kyul (as with all demons) is a shapeshifter, so theoretically I could also make this game GxB-- would having that option be a big deciding factor for your interest?
If possible then yes, it will attract more ppl to play your game. I'm fine either way.

3/Is there a character or something about the plot that you like?
Royal stuff always got my attention. As to char, I usually try the demo to feel them myself instead of read the description so...

4/Do you have any suggestions for someone who's making a VN for the first time?
-Talk to your friend about your game / let them try the demo / ask their thought about it. They mind give you some useful perspective that you never think of, and if also give you more motivation to continue make the game instead of keep all for yourself, especially when you make it ALONE and FREE.
-Divide the game smaller and release it, read the cmt from the fan also give you motivation to continue the rest, also keep the hype for the game for both you and fan.
-Do your best but don't push yourself too hard. 1st game is to learn from experience afterall.
-You definitely make game twitter and put on hashtag like #visualnovel #vnlink or something. It easier to track down the game progress than lemma there and not mix with your personal stuff. Also ppl heard about your game easier there.
-If you stop making because of whatever reason please leave an annocement or something. It much more better than silently drop it. I've experience many interesting pj that drop silently, the waiting with no answer so sad and painful and hopeless, I wish they just say something, ANYTHING, even if it because they lose interest in making it is fine. I'll understand and leave it, it's free so you don't need to push yourself over something you not enjoy. (Sorry for such heavy comments ;_;)
-Using renpy is much more player-friendly than tyrano. You should try using imagemap/image button and use renpy hotspot, it the most easy method. (if you need anything you can leave question here, I'll try to help what I can)

5/Is there anything you'd like to see or hope not to see in this game? (It will likely be a mature rated game though, just not a super romance focused one so no R18.)
I'm actually glad it plot-focus and no R18! Some otome game fan that I know wanna try BL game with no R18, but those game like rare animal. I also wanna play more BL game that don't have R18 (I mean, I'm fine with sexy scene but I do want game without it). And the MC have default name so I don't need to naming him LOL That's what I want for now (which your game already have it!). I might have more once I try the demo though.

6/How do you feel about seeing the same character in two wildly different stories? (Ex. Kyul as the MC here and an NPC/Route in another setting completely)
It actually a good idea! I wanna see it!

Sorry for my poor English skills! ;_;

Saibraeus
Regular

Re: Chevalier ♦♦♦ [BxB] [Fantasy, drama] (Now with twitter!)

#37 Post by Saibraeus »

@caibanh - Hello, hello! Wow, thank you so much for your words and advice. Please don't worry about your English at all!

I'm honestly just surprised people still remember this project and take the time to comment. It means a lot to me, really!

As per your suggestion, I did make a twitter but I see you've followed already, haha. Thank you very much!

And for the others, please follow the link below if you'd also like to receive updates via twitter.
I will be using it as a general dev team hub instead of Chevalier specific though, so there will be news about other projects in the mix but since Chevalier is the main project it shouldn't be too noisy.

==================

As for other updates, all BGs are done now! I might go back and tweak some of the old ones (If not I'll probably redo some completely in the future) but that should be it for most of the visual assets.
Hopefully the change in style isn't too jarring but I don't think it's possible for me to go back to the old style, haha. :' )

Ah, and I'm redoing the main menu page so here's a work in progress:

I'm also pleased to announce that EvaRanger will be on as our sound designer now!
I didn't think my little project would be something of interest but here we are now with a full team. T vT I'm super grateful to have each and every member.

As always, thank you for the support as well, lurkers and previous posters alike.

Please have an awesome new years!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#38 Post by Zelan »

Yoooooooo I kid you not I was wondering about this game just last week! It was such a pleasant surprise to see this upon returning to the forums! c:

Love the main menu image!! Good luck! ^_^

Saibraeus
Regular

#39 Post by Saibraeus »

Zelan - Ahh, I'm glad to hear that!! Thank you so much!

=====================

Now a little late but there's been a lot going on so lemme sparknotes some updates:

- Demo script is about 43% coded
- I've finished writing Signum's route in its entirety. It clocks in about 23k words so almost twice as long as the demo!
- Also changed up a pose for Noa's angry expression because I really didn't like his original one, so maybe we'll see two poses for the others in the full game too!
- I've been editing some of the old backgrounds but in the mean time I've just redrawn Kyul's bedroom entirely because... Of reasons..... It won't match the CGs now but... Hopefully that can be overlooked or I'll redo it in the future... T__T
- Music and stuff is underway!
- We're tidying up some graphics stuff and got new chapter/ending cards. They're beautiful T___T
- Oh I also did some quick concepts for NPCs but I'll likely scrap them and redo properly.

twitter1.png
twitter2.png
twitter3.png
troet_concept.png
screenshot11.png

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#40 Post by Zelan »

Hi 👀 is this still being worked on? (I still think about Noa a lot LMAO)