Phoenix Season [GxG/B][Historical/Fantasy/Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ioja
Projects: Phoenix Season
Tumblr: galaxy-jar-studios

Phoenix Season [GxG/B][Historical/Fantasy/Romance]

#1 Post by Ioja »

After the coup d'etat that ended over a hundred lives, a female ruler steps up for the first time in three hundred years. You are her heir.

Navigate the new political world you’re thrust into, control a brewing rebellion, make connections with foreign countries, and maybe…maybe you’ll keep your head, but lose your heart.

Phoenix Season is a visual novel in which you, the protagonist, discover a rich world where the choices you make can cause the fall of an empire. Romance people from vastly different backgrounds. Befriend others with their own agendas. Come to terms with the memories that create your nightmares…and confront a grief so strong it could end you.

*This VN is loosely based on several periods of the Ottoman Empire

Characters

Empress to one of the most powerful empires the world has ever seen, Tasmina is the first female ruler in hundreds of years. Smart, pragmatic, and beautiful, she strives to better the lives of her people and balance an empire on the verge of collapse.

As your cousin, she demands much of your time and efforts to help run the domestic side of the palace. This leaves her to focus on national and foreign politics. Help her stabilize the Empire as her heir, or sabotage her at every turn--but be careful, Soloya Tasmina may forgive but never forgets.

Your younger sister Naime is quiet, wise, studious. As one of the youngest advisers in the Empire’s history, she helps Soloya Tasmina run the Empire and is forever ready to offer support.

Find her in the library, throne room, or offices plagued by headaches and having trusted scribes read to her. Choose your relationship–loving, affectionate, antagonistic. The choice is yours, but she always had a mind of her own.
As a diplomat from Rezhong, an empire that closed its doors for the past several decades, Councilman Khar Tai Lan has much weight on his shoulders. He comes to you to learn, observe, and forge new ties for his homeland.

Polite, dutiful, and always watching, Tai Lan is still an odd choice for a diplomat. Can you figure out why he’s been chosen? Will he trust the heir to an unstable empire? And will you fall in love with someone who will always leave you? The choice, as always, is yours.
Reyhan Inedi is the head palace physician, a traditionally male role. Calm, collected, and poised, it’s almost impossible to crack her emotionless figure. Almost.

But Reyhan has her own secrets, covered in blood and money. No one knows where she came from, what her goals are, how she learned the art of medicine and poison. Can you uncover her secrets? And will knowing them frighten you, or make you fall in love?
The Imperial Commander Vitri is a handsome, suave, kind leader, ready to lay down his life for your family. He can be found charming ladies or training his men, decorated in a brilliant uniform he always seems to be uncomfortable in.

But while his men respect him, there are others calling him traitor. And he never fights back. What happened, to silence Vitri when the whispers become too loud? Perhaps you already know, and perhaps you are already falling in love.
Gameplay
  • 3 Love Interests
  • Decisions with impact
  • 20+ BGs and CGs
  • Heavy themes, such as PTSD
Questions
In CGs, would you rather have an MC you only see a part of (like a glove) or a predetermined one?
What's your favorite "type" of LI?
Are you a fan of stat-building games?
Last edited by Ioja on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:21 am, edited 7 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Phoenix Season [GxG/B][Historical/Fantasy/Romance]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Would you rather have an MC you never see, or a predetermined one shown in CGs?: I prefer predetermined MCs. I'm not a fan of blank slate protagonists, and keeping them invisible is super hard for games with romance elements since any sort of intimate CG has to be really well thought-out or it just looks weird.
What's your favorite "type" of LI?: I don't know that I have one singular favorite type but I'll list a few of my favorite tropes (physical and character-wise):
-Glasses. I really like glasses okay.
-I'm also kind of a sucker for "tsundere" type love interests. Not necessarily overly so, to the point of this being their only character trait, but any sort of thing where the character in question is reluctant to enter a relationship with MC and/or the relationship is more slow-burn is a good time.
-On the other hand, I like romances with "childhood friends," or just people that MC knew before the start of the game. A lot of romance-oriented games start with the MC meeting a bunch of new people all at once and then it's just "which one do you wanna date out of nowhere," like ok, game, sure. Depending on your plot it can be totally justified but I still like having at least one person that I have a prior relationship with.
-I like when characters go out of their way to do things for the MC. This isn't exactly a trait, but it's a little thing that I like seeing.
-Girls are pretty nice honestly. like just any girls.
Are you a fan of stat-building games?: Depends. If it's too complicated for me, that leads to frustration and giving up the game pretty quick, but I think this is true for a lot of people and the differences lies in what we find "too complicated." They can also drag a bit, especially if there's a portion where you're just grinding stats to get to a certain event and you just end up reading the same flavor text over and over and over again. For the most part, though, I don't have a problem with them as long as they're fairly easy to figure out.

Pick_One
Regular

#3 Post by Pick_One »

Historical romance in a political setting with a rebellion on the side, sounds like a good time to me. Also I'm not well verse in the history of the Ottoman Empire so this would be exciting to learn more about. I would be really interested in playing your game. Would like the challenge to help the empire thrive and not have it go up in flames. And would be very interested in the character relationships for this game. Tasmina looks great; the character design and style doesn't look overdone which is a good thing.

Would you rather have an MC you never see, or a predetermined one shown in CGs?

I think a MC that you can see in CGs is better and probably easier to do, particularly for romantic or emotional scenes . But I don't mind one that you won't ever see either, if you can pull it off well. I think a MC that you can't see is good for a game that has heavy MC building (such as background, personality, etc) and you can replay multiple times with vastly different built MCs, or else allowing players to customize appearance would be awesome. So I guess if you want a short answer, for what I can see from what you have shown, I personally vote for a MC that you can see.

What's your favorite "type" of LI?

Hmm... I don't really have a favorite type of LI. But going down a list that I can quickly mentally come up right now, from all forms of fictional media I have encountered.... I have liked some flirty characters but no thanks if they become annoying, too pushy, or doesn't have any other sides to them. They need to be more than just a known flirt. A serious smart type could be charming as long as they don't become boring, same applies to the quiet mysterious ones. A character consider bad/evil, could be fun but they need to be interesting without being forced or me wanting to punch them. I think a character who start out disliking the MC, could be fun too, but again, can't have me wanting to punch them. Funny sweet types who can really pull on my heartstrings and radiant warmth are welcome, but I think can sometimes be hard to do without them being boring or feeling like friendship with them is better. Lastly, I personally think secretly obsessive types can be fun but this also could be hard to do, without making them become annoying or just going way too overboard and pushing me away or I'm just constantly cringe laughing. I hope this helps. But really, for me, it depends on what you do with the characters and how the MC relationship with them progress. And maybe my mood at the moment plays a factor too.

Are you a fan of stat-building games?

Sometimes I do want to play a stat-building game. But the mechanics of it shouldn't be headache inducing to figure out and should make sense. I think different stats leading to different outcomes are fun.

Ioja

#4 Post by Ioja »

Updated with a new character! Love Interests coming next

Pick_One
Regular

#5 Post by Pick_One »

Naime looks pretty. Her outfit has a girly touch to it with a sweet sort of light innocent look, and although her face looks young, she has a serious expression that gives her a bit of mature look too. I like reading how the player has the choice to make their relationship with these characters to become sour and the ominous tone to it.

Can't wait for the love interests. =)

Ioja

#6 Post by Ioja »

Pick_One wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 pm Naime looks pretty. Her outfit has a girly touch to it with a sweet sort of light innocent look, and although her face looks young, she has a serious expression that gives her a bit of mature look too. I like reading how the player has the choice to make their relationship with these characters to become sour and the ominous tone to it.

Can't wait for the love interests. =)
I'm so glad you like her! That's exactly what I was going for with her and it's super nice of you to answer my questions

Ioja

#7 Post by Ioja »

Zelan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:47 pm -I'm also kind of a sucker for "tsundere" type love interests. Not necessarily overly so, to the point of this being their only character trait, but any sort of thing where the character in question is reluctant to enter a relationship with MC and/or the relationship is more slow-burn is a good time.
-On the other hand, I like romances with "childhood friends," or just people that MC knew before the start of the game. A lot of romance-oriented games start with the MC meeting a bunch of new people all at once and then it's just "which one do you wanna date out of nowhere," like ok, game, sure. Depending on your plot it can be totally justified but I still like having at least one person that I have a prior relationship with.
-I like when characters go out of their way to do things for the MC. This isn't exactly a trait, but it's a little thing that I like seeing.
-Girls are pretty nice honestly. like just any girls.
Haha, I hope you enjoy Reyhan then! She'll be shown in about two weeks and is a tsundere physician ;)

Ramidel
Regular

#8 Post by Ramidel »

I have a question. Is Tasmina a potential LI?

Ioja

#9 Post by Ioja »

Ramidel wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm I have a question. Is Tasmina a potential LI?
You're actually related! She's your cousin, so unfortunately no although I can't blame you bc she's pretty af

Ioja

#10 Post by Ioja »

Updated with the first LI!

Ioja

#11 Post by Ioja »

Updated with the second LI!

Harmonywish
Regular

#12 Post by Harmonywish »

Ahhh, Reyhan is so pretty! I adore the Ottoman Empire. One of my favorite books, And I Darken is based off of it as well, so I'm really excited to see this project come to life~ Good luck <33

Ioja

#13 Post by Ioja »

Updated with the last love interest!!

Pick_One
Regular

#14 Post by Pick_One »

Yay, updates! Will have to edit my post and comment on them another time, hopefully tomorrow.