✨【Love Net】✨ » A (Dark) Web Browser Romance (HIATUS)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pick_One
Regular

Re: ✨【Love Net】✨ » A (Dark) Web Browser Romance

#16 Post by Pick_One »

I look forward to your updates but it's ok if you don't post sometimes. Although kudos for working so hard then keeping the thread updated, which surely will make more people notice the game and keep the interest up. :)

The main menu looks great, I like the abstract spacious feel. It does somewhat give me the feel of cyberspace. The save and gallery menu looks fantastic.
That quote on the gallery menu though... It's actually sounds ominous to me. Maybe I'm thinking too much...but I like it.
The glitched screen is a neat effect
and well, combine that with the quote, it does sort of reinforce one of my theory about the game. But don't worry, I think there are still lots of possibilities, so go ahead and include it if you feel it will add something to the game.

Mikomi
Veteran

#17 Post by Mikomi »

woobv wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:15 pm Oh, I see I see! No I totally understand, and I think those are very valid points that I'm sure other people will also share! Thank you for opening that perspective for me. :D
It is the Indie Game Makers Contest. It opened on October 6 (so we started a few days late), but it will end on November 6! :)
And I'm glad! We hope not to disappoint with our demo.
Wow, this was made in an RPG Maker engine? :shock: I didn't even know any of this was possible in any of them, and I use them 😅 Which engine are you using for this?

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#18 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Woobv,

From the short description, your VN seems like a romance VN...but I'm betting it starts off as one thing (romance) and infact turns into something else (the "dark" portion).

I guess my question is why did you choose Browsers (turning them into avatars/humans) of all things, as the confine in which to express these dark themes like bullying (perhaps this VN is centered around online bullying?), sexual assault and gender crisis?

Just very curious :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

sorabokki
Regular
Projects: Love Net

#19 Post by sorabokki »

Pick_One wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:39 pmI look forward to your updates but it's ok if you don't post sometimes. Although kudos for working so hard then keeping the thread updated, which surely will make more people notice the game and keep the interest up. :)

The main menu looks great, I like the abstract spacious feel. It does somewhat give me the feel of cyberspace. The save and gallery menu looks fantastic.
Awww, thank you so much!! As the demo is coming out soon (aka the contest is ending soon), I thought it would be nice to update as much as possible! The only issue now is ... for the next 4 days, i'll just be focusing on writing, so I most likely won't be updating until Thursday or Friday this week! T _ T;;

And thank you!!!!!!! I REALLY am so happy that you like the UI for the game so far. I'm always worried if things feel jarring or disconnected.

As for the quote - I hope it does bring (a little???) encouragement to people as they play the game. :D Hehe~

Mikomi wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:49 pmWow, this was made in an RPG Maker engine? :shock: I didn't even know any of this was possible in any of them, and I use them 😅 Which engine are you using for this?
Hahaha! Yea, it is a sad thing that they aren't accepting *any* game engine this year. We are currently using RPG Maker MV! The Programmer is custom writing a lot of the script to accommodate for some of the features we'd like to have. On that note - some things may not make it in time! A couple weeks is too short to write custom plug-ins. XD

illuminate001 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 pmHi Woobv,

From the short description, your VN seems like a romance VN...but I'm betting it starts off as one thing (romance) and infact turns into something else (the "dark" portion).

I guess my question is why did you choose Browsers (turning them into avatars/humans) of all things, as the confine in which to express these dark themes like bullying (perhaps this VN is centered around online bullying?), sexual assault and gender crisis?

Just very curious :)
Hi illuminate001! Thank you so much for that thought! It is the sort of "mood" we're trying to set - a seemingly normal high school life story with potential romance options, but as you go through the story, life isn't always rainbows and unicorns every step of the way!

Oh boy, as for your question. It's going to be a bit long-winded, but it started off with the thought that "I want everyone to know that they're beautiful." I asked The Programmer if he'd like to join the game jam and at that point, he said he had a lingering idea about making a game about the history of web browsers. It all started with Netscape and went on to Internet Explorer. There were struggles for power (IE vs. other browsers), good initiatives taken on behalf of the people (i.e. Mozilla & Chromium Project), and browsers that went unloved (i.e. Opera, and others). With that in mind, we wanted to share the story of how web browsers came to be, while trying to subtly indicate that - just like browsers - you are perfectly fine just the way you are. IE may be slow and annoying to some, but people still use it. Mozilla was loved by many until Chrome came out. Opera was part of the same base project that Chrome came from.

Ultimately, no matter what, there will always be someone out there who loves/loved all the browsers that ever came to be, in any way, shape, or form that it was made. Even if you're slow or not-optimized like IE. Even if you open windows at a slower rate than Chrome. People will still want you.

Is that too cheesy? Hope that answers your question!

Pick_One
Regular

#20 Post by Pick_One »

If you want, I have seen some people sometimes post a bit of writing. But of course, it's up to you. Can't wait to see what's new and even more so, can't wait to play it. ^^

sorabokki
Regular

#21 Post by sorabokki »

Pick_One wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:39 pm If you want, I have seen some people sometimes post a bit of writing. But of course, it's up to you. Can't wait to see what's new and even more so, can't wait to play it. ^^
You are seriously so sweet, @Pick_One! I really appreciate all your encouragement and kind words so far. <3 It really helps keep me motivated!
Unfortunately... this past few days, I came down with a bit of a medical emergency, so I haven't been able to work for a couple days. Poop! Hoping to catch up ASAP. Gotta pull off a few all nighters (or as close to it as I can!)

=====================

Meanwhile, if you didn't know yet, we're Recruiting voice actors for our Arc 1 Cast! The deadline is Thursday evening if anyone is interested. ^ ^ (Click on the picture below to go to the recruitment thread!)

Pick_One
Regular

#22 Post by Pick_One »

I hope everything is okay now. Don't overexert yourself. If you are able to and feel fine pulling a few all nighters that you feel necessary, alright, but please don't overdo it. ;;

That's nice to read that my comments are helping to keep you motivated. ^^ I think you really deserved it.

I don't do any voice acting but I checked the thread and saw the profiles. It's fun to see how off or close I was in my guesses (although it's possible there is more to them than what it is said on their profiles or that it's not all the truth!), they seem to be pretty accurate. XD

Chrome: Definitely thought that he looked like a perfect student and got that flawless feel. Look into his eyes, they make me think I can possibly instantly trust him. lol.
IE: Sucks that he's a bully. ;; Although that was like my second thoughts on him, that it was possible he's actually a real mean/sadistic person. And did thought that him, Chrome, and Firefox were somehow popular in some way. Didn't think he was a son of CEO of a big company, but did thought he had maybe some sort of power. Also I already thought before that he might possibly have some serious issues but even more so after reading his last line. @@;
Firefox: When I looked at him, he definitely screamed of energetic and very likely that he's on some sort of sports team. And looking at him longer, he had that feel of a hard worker and like a caring older brother to many people, so I guess like his profile says, a huge community man. ^^
Netscape: Aww.... I didn't want to assume he's sickly but that was like my second thought. ;; Didn't think he would be bully by IE. But yea his expression and pose made me think that he's quiet and reserved, possibly have a weak personality too.
Opera: Yup, I did thought like...'Looking at his hair,scarf, and outfit...does he maybe like fashion?' and maybe oddly, his hand and expression helped too? Lol. Also I did picture him with some kind of soft voice but didn't thought of him with a higher voice.
Safari: Yup, her being friendly and sweet when someone needs to talk... those were my thoughts. ^^

Seeing how I was pretty accurate in my guesses; you did a very good job at designing the characters! Their personality shows through their design. Good luck on finding voice actors who fit the roles. =)

Also have to say the chibis are very cute. ^^

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#23 Post by illuminate001 »

woobv wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 am Oh boy, as for your question. It's going to be a bit long-winded, but it started off with the thought that "I want everyone to know that they're beautiful." I asked The Programmer if he'd like to join the game jam and at that point, he said he had a lingering idea about making a game about the history of web browsers. It all started with Netscape and went on to Internet Explorer. There were struggles for power (IE vs. other browsers), good initiatives taken on behalf of the people (i.e. Mozilla & Chromium Project), and browsers that went unloved (i.e. Opera, and others). With that in mind, we wanted to share the story of how web browsers came to be, while trying to subtly indicate that - just like browsers - you are perfectly fine just the way you are. IE may be slow and annoying to some, but people still use it. Mozilla was loved by many until Chrome came out. Opera was part of the same base project that Chrome came from.

Ultimately, no matter what, there will always be someone out there who loves/loved all the browsers that ever came to be, in any way, shape, or form that it was made. Even if you're slow or not-optimized like IE. Even if you open windows at a slower rate than Chrome. People will still want you.

Is that too cheesy? Hope that answers your question!
No not cheesy at all. Actually, your explanation is really thoughtful and once you explained the origins and how the browser analogy is weaved into it all, it actually makes alot of sense. Granted it seemed like a stretch at first but its all a matter of perspective.

Also, I love the idea that your games underlying motto is "Everyone is beautiful". I really hope you work hard to have people who finish your VN feeling that and accepting it as truth. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

sorabokki
Regular

#24 Post by sorabokki »

Pick_One wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:05 pm I hope everything is okay now. Don't overexert yourself. If you are able to and feel fine pulling a few all nighters that you feel necessary, alright, but please don't overdo it. ;;

That's nice to read that my comments are helping to keep you motivated. ^^ I think you really deserved it.
Awwwww, thank you! Your concern is so touching. I-- YOU'RE SO NICE I ALMOST WANT TO CRY!! T__T
And yes, your comments - I LOVE reading everything you post; every single word is filled with so much tenderness and kindness that it really does warm my heart! Thank you. :)
Pick_One wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:05 pmI don't do any voice acting but I checked the thread and saw the profiles. It's fun to see how off or close I was in my guesses (although it's possible there is more to them than what it is said on their profiles or that it's not all the truth!), they seem to be pretty accurate. XD

Seeing how I was pretty accurate in my guesses; you did a very good job at designing the characters! Their personality shows through their design. Good luck on finding voice actors who fit the roles. =)

Also have to say the chibis are very cute. ^^
The biggest compliment I could probably ever receive! Knowing that I designed them well enough to portray (to an extent) the personalities they should be is an honor to hear. :D It's definitely very difficult trying to do that, so the fact that you think I was able to do that decently is such a joy to hear. ^ ^ <3

illuminate001 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pmNo not cheesy at all. Actually, your explanation is really thoughtful and once you explained the origins and how the browser analogy is weaved into it all, it actually makes alot of sense. Granted it seemed like a stretch at first but its all a matter of perspective.

Also, I love the idea that your games underlying motto is "Everyone is beautiful". I really hope you work hard to have people who finish your VN feeling that and accepting it as truth. :)
Thank you so much! It definitely is a bit of a stretch, but when I was doing research into the backgrounds of the browsers, I found a lot of connection between the browsers and how much it applies to people. It definitely is interesting to read the background of how certain browsers came to be (especially Mozilla - a project by the people for the people)!

Not all of the outcomes will be apparent in the theme that "Everyone is beautiful," but we do hope that playing through it as the story unfolds, the player will get the sense of it! ^ ^

===================================

Also, FINALLY finished....

Branching for one Character's route in Arc 1

We are planning to have multiple routes in Arc 1. Our goal is roughly 10k words in our demo, which should be similar in other routes (~5 routes total). So Arc 1 should be around 40k-50k once we're done! :D

sorabokki
Regular

#25 Post by sorabokki »

Oh man, sorry for the long silence there! I was working on the script, but had a prior travel arrangement over the weekend (all day from Friday~Sunday) and couldn't really work on anything during that time.

But I've been working hard since I've come back!

Newest Update:
  • Just hit an 18k milestone in our writing! This is just for 1 route in Arc 1, haha~
  • Finished casting for voices for our characters! People have begun to submit lines too, very exciting.
  • The theme song was finished on Thursday! You can listen here: SOUNDCLOUD

Screenshots:

Visual sneak peek of the script on Sublime Text Editor!

Almost at that 18,000 word count!

Some shenanigans that my programmer and I say to each other. (I'm "Waifu" heh)

Click on the above screenshot to check out my (hopeful) timeline of deliverables!

You'll start seeing some artwork again soon! ^ ^

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#26 Post by zankizuna »

This is too awesome! This is the dream GUI for my VN! I need to learn this :O
My VN had programs as people, but well, they're really AI programs operated by real people, and the setting is in desktops. inspired by megaman.exe
I could really learn, just looking at this project! I'm loving IE and Safari!
This is a really sweet VN everybody should see!

Pick_One
Regular

#27 Post by Pick_One »

Updates looking really good. Can't wait to hear the voice acting! ^^ The theme song is pretty catchy and nice. I think the choice of EDM music seems fitting for the game. :) Can't wait to see the other characters too. Although is Nate = Netscape?

Also random, but I think the new sparkling stars for the title of the thread looks nice. ^^ Hmm... and it seems fitting for the game too. Lol. Although it's probably isn't new, since I'm actually using a different browser so I guess it looks different on here. Haha.

sorabokki
Regular

#28 Post by sorabokki »

zankizuna wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 am This is too awesome! This is the dream GUI for my VN! I need to learn this :O
My VN had programs as people, but well, they're really AI programs operated by real people, and the setting is in desktops. inspired by megaman.exe
I could really learn, just looking at this project! I'm loving IE and Safari!
This is a really sweet VN everybody should see!
AWWWWW. You are too kind and give me too much credit. I'm so flattered, thank you!! T w T;;
And ooooooh! Your VN project sounds like a lot of fun! :) Do you have a thread?!

Pick_One wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm Updates looking really good. Can't wait to hear the voice acting! ^^ The theme song is pretty catchy and nice. I think the choice of EDM music seems fitting for the game. :) Can't wait to see the other characters too. Although is Nate = Netscape?

Also random, but I think the new sparkling stars for the title of the thread looks nice. ^^ Hmm... and it seems fitting for the game too. Lol. Although it's probably isn't new, since I'm actually using a different browser so I guess it looks different on here. Haha.
WHOOO! I'm glad you're excited to hear the voice acting. It's sounding great, hehe. And it makes me really happy when you say that EDM was a fitting choice! :D
And yikes - that was supposed to be a secret until the demo came out. I forgot to change Nate to Netscape XD BAHAH!

And YEEE, Thank you! Sparkles are fun haha!! <33

====================================

Just finished writing the ENTIRE SCRIPT!! We're at about 24k words (estimating about 4k words of coding jargon), with 7 unique endings! ^ ^
And now we're exploring the .exe icon.

Would love your guys' thoughts! (I like #1-4 designs the most, but programmer-chan is a fan of #5. xD)

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#29 Post by zankizuna »

AWWWWW. You are too kind and give me too much credit. I'm so flattered, thank you!! T w T;;
And ooooooh! Your VN project sounds like a lot of fun! :) Do you have a thread?!
====================================

Just finished writing the ENTIRE SCRIPT!! We're at about 24k words (estimating about 4k words of coding jargon), with 7 unique endings! ^ ^
And now we're exploring the .exe icon.

Would love your guys' thoughts! (I like #1-4 designs the most, but programmer-chan is a fan of #5. xD)

My Thread doesn't have much but here it is, SOFTWAR
Congratulations on writing the ENTIRE SCRIPT You guys are amazing!
I think I'll go with Programmer on this one Logo number 5 <3 best bet!

xxmissarichanxx
Regular
Completed: Froot Basket Valentine, Devious
Projects: After-Party Chemistry, The Salaryman
Tumblr: xxmissarichanxx
Deviantart: xxmissarichanxx
itch: xxmissarichanxx

#30 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

You make progress quickly! It's amazing! Congrats on finishing the script! I'm looking forward to playing the demo~ :DD

The GUI looks really nice too, and as far as the character concepts, all gorgeous~ C; I can't wait to hear their voices as well~

As for the .exe icon, I think I prefer #4. It fits the aesthetic. C: Although, I must say that #5 is unique as far as icons go. Just a thought.