The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot DevBlog [Mystery][Comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CCNBdev
Regular
Projects: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot
Organization: RockTheClockGaming

The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot DevBlog [Mystery][Comedy]

#1 Post by CCNBdev »

Hi there!

I'm developing a murder mystery visual novel!! Recommended ages 13+ due to strong language, mild gore, and mature themes.

Grace Sinclair is suddenly kicked out of her high school, kicked out of her house, and now wanders the streets in search of a home! Things start to look up when she gets offered a job as a detective! Wow, what a lucky break! Only one problem... how can a girl who faints at the sight of blood solve murder cases? Find out when you play The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot!

That's just a little synopsis on what my visual novel is about and through out the game you'll find clues, question witnesses, and work with a unique cast of characters to solve crimes. The game mechanics are pretty similar to The Layton Brother's Mystery Room and Phoenix Wright.

Here's a more detailed description of the game:

Grace Sinclair is a less than stellar student. In fact, she’s flunked out of her high school at 20 years old! That’s not even the worst of her problems. When she gets home later that day, her dad kicks her out! Now starving and homeless, our hero bravely steals a snack from the convenience store on the other side of town.
Just then, a masked man comes in! He holds up the store, waving a gun around and demands for all the money in the register or there’ll be consequences. The police show up and out of luck, Grace is able to help them find out the identity of the robber. The head detective, Delilah Araceli, is so impressed she offers Grace a job. Feeling that this may be her chance to make a true difference in the world, she accepts the job! The only problem is, Grace does NOT have good reasoning skills and on top of that has a condition where she faints at the sight of blood!

As you progress through the story, it’s up to Grace to solve cases from homicide to domestic abuse to the legends of the mysterious and murderous serial killer known only as “The Banshee”. All while she’s hiding her secret from her quirky co-workers, who I remind you are DETECTIVES, or else she’ll end up back on the streets!

She’ll have to solve her hardest case yet when she faces, The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot.

Interested? Check out my devblog where I post all about how to solve cases, the characters, and the story here! Updates every Wednesday at 3pm EST!
https://thecoldcaseofnoellabejerot.wordpress.com

This is a short excerpt of how the visual novel reads:
https://thecoldcaseofnoellabejerot.word ... t-excerpt/

And I've got a twitter that I'm pretty active on right here that you can follow! :)
https://twitter.com/CCNBdev

And keep an eye out for a FREE DEMO coming in December!!! :D I would love to know what you think of the story, which parts of the game you're most interested in, or if you have any questions, comments, or concerns in general!

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot DevBlog [Mystery][Comedy]

#2 Post by bobconway »

Oh, this looks really cute. Also, I really like mystery-based VNs.

Your start screen (assuming the image on your blog is the start screen), looks nice. I might lighten the text that isn't meant to be clickable slightly, just to make the buttons even more obvious, but it seems like it'd match the theme well.

It'll be interesting to play as someone who has trouble with deduction and evidence-gathering in a game where those things seem to be important. I think that's probably the part I'm most looking forward to.

Are the character spotlights representative of the art style in the game? Or are they just drawings to accompany the profiles?

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

CCNBdev
Regular
Projects: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot
Organization: RockTheClockGaming

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot DevBlog [Mystery][Comedy]

#3 Post by CCNBdev »

@bobconway

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes the image on my blog is the start screen for the game. When your mouse hovers over the buttons, a yellow highlight appears. But I could also ask my artist to see what the menu screen would look like if the others words were a lighter color too.

The character spotlights are a little more stylized than the in game character sprites, but those are what the characters will look like if that makes sense haha.

Here's an example of an in game character sprite:

Oh and this is how Grace's condition of fainting at the sight of blood will affect game play!
https://thecoldcaseofnoellabejerot.word ... ance-meter