COPACETIC! [B/GxROBOT; SCI-FI COMEDY]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
becksbarrett
Projects: copacetic!
Tumblr: vkia

COPACETIC! [B/GxROBOT; SCI-FI COMEDY]

#1 Post by becksbarrett »

Can a single human survive on a space station full of robots?
Can a space station full of robots survive with a single human on board?

COPACETIC! is a lighthearted visual novel/dating sim about a scientist working on a space station with a bunch of robots that have never seen a human before.
Sentient robots have been a part of everyday life for a couple of decades, and humans research the possibility of exploring deep space with their help. However, humans aren't so sure robots will perform admirably with minimal human supervision and cooperation. Thus, project "COPACETIC" is born.
Features:
  • asimov-ish mood
  • 50-esque cartoon/atomic age aesthetic
  • dubious jokes
  • mini games, hopefully
  • 3 robots to romance (choice of pronouns for each of them)
  • several (at least 9) endings
Characters:
left to right: Perko, Pepper, Pancake & Pickle
  • Perko (male sprite only for now) is a scientist who agreed to partake in a social experiment that reintroduces robots made by other robots on a remote space station to humanity. It goes surprisingly well. At first.
  • Pepper, peppy robot in charge of human resource management. Perko's supervisor.
  • Pancake, workaholic and perfectionist. It and Perko share a lab.
  • Pickle, fatalistic janitor. Can sour any mood by simply being present.
  • Other Robots: are working on a space station. Perko doesn't interact with them much.
BG Example:
  • draft|script: 15%
  • art (sprite|bg|cg): 5%
  • gui: concept stage
  • code: 5%
Questions:
  • Which robot would you like to romance first?
  • Do you have any expectations for a robot dating game?
  • What kinds of mini games you would like to see?
  • Other questions/comments/ect.?

crouchingbacon
Completed: Wishcraft, Whale's Waldo
Projects: Deliverance
Deviantart: fightingham
Soundcloud: paperprosciutto
itch: 12amstatic

Re: COPACETIC! [B/GxROBOT; SCI-FI COMEDY]

#2 Post by crouchingbacon »

Hi there! Got curious about your project, heh.
I have to say, the art is pretty cute. I dig the style, pretty refreshing.
It kind of reminds me of the cartoons we have today!

Which robot would you like to romance first?
Hmm, romance isn't the first thing I have in mind, but if it comes to that, I'd say Pickle. Reminds me of Marvin from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, heh.
Except in this one, he's a janitor.

Do you have any expectations for a robot dating game?
I honestly don't know, since when I think robot and dating game, my mind drifts to Motoko Kusanagi-esque cyborgs.
Dialogue could definitely interest me though. The whole dynamic between human and robot romance sounds like a recipe for interesting conflicts.

What kinds of mini games you would like to see?
Ah, fun stuff that relates to the robot's work, if that makes sense?
Like, in HR, signing/stamping papers, or mixing stuff in a lab, or picking up garbage.
And how well the MC does it can affect their relationship? Something like that.

Other questions/comments/ect.?
Can't say much for now, but I do look forward to a demo. I think the art's pretty unique and cute too.
You can do it, bruh.

Cotton Blue
Regular
Projects: メモリーズ~ 女神の保護者
Organization: Cotton Blue
Deviantart: CottonBlueVN
Soundcloud: Cotton Blue
itch: Cotton Blue

#3 Post by Cotton Blue »

Wow, I'm so interested in your vn, I had always dreamed something.

=> I'm like Pepper, its look and personality are my taste.

=> No, my experience more similar would be TS3 (The Sims 3) xD

=> Mm... I don't know, could be doing work in the space station, like repair something.

=> I'm very excited for the game <3

Very luck with the project!
Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [GxB] [Fantasy, Romance, Drama, Yōkai]

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4 Post by Nuxill »

HHHHH oh my GOSH I'm absolutely in love with the art style for this!!!! The gouache like textures on the backgrounds are a nice touch.

My favorite robot design is Pancake so far, so I'll probably choose them first. Good luck with everything!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#5 Post by YossarianIII »

Hey, just wanted to stop by and say I really like the art on this one!

Pickle! :mrgreen:

I'd probably be more likely to expect a sense of humor since dating robots is still kind of a ridiculous idea in real life (at least for now!).

I think by its nature Ren'Py is probably better suited for slower-paced mini games compared to fast-paced, precision games. Timer-based games in particular can be tricky because you want to be able to account for players with different reaction times and skill levels. That said, I'm personally up for any sort of mini game.

Good luck! I'll look forward to seeing more about this one.

Image Image

becksbarrett
Projects: copacetic!
Tumblr: vkia

#6 Post by becksbarrett »

So so sorry for the late reply guys, but life came at me fast in November, and I didn't have as much time to work on this game as I wanted, but.
First of all, thank you for your interest and comments! I'm happy to read that you like the visual direction I'm taking this in, and I'm grateful for your input in the mini-game ideas pool.
I'm also excited to see that people are willing to choose different robots to interact with.

Now, for the individual comments...
crouchingbacon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 am Can't say much for now, but I do look forward to a demo. I think the art's pretty unique and cute too.
You can do it, bruh.
Thank you! Encouragement coming from others means a lot to me, and I hope I'll have a small-ish playable bit sometime in late January 2018.
Cotton Blue wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 am => I'm very excited for the game <3
Very luck with the project!
Thank you!!
Nuxill wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:28 am HHHHH oh my GOSH I'm absolutely in love with the art style for this!!!! The gouache like textures on the backgrounds are a nice touch.
Ah-hh thank you so much, I'm still quite nervous about the art style 'cause it's different from most other visual novels and in some aspects it's harder to pull a consistent look with art that looks like this. I'll try my hardest to make it all extra pretty, lol.
YossarianIII wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am Good luck! I'll look forward to seeing more about this one.
Thank you! I hope I'll be able deliver a satisfying experience in the end.

I'd like to end with a small progress report:
- I've been busy working out the GUI and writing the introduction scenes for the game, as well as drawing more sprites and assets.
- I'll update the main post in this topic with better introductions for all characters, as well as additional background art in late December/early January.
- For now, I can show you the hivemind robots (i.e. all the other robots on the space station besides the main cast):
Once again, thank you all so much for your interest!! I'll try to do monthly updates on this game from now on.

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

#7 Post by VimislikArt »

I like the visual style! It's nice seeing more stuff break out of the norm.

Pancake! Look at that fella!

I kind of feel like the whole "teach me what love is" thing with robots is a bit played out - I'd like to see more robots trying to assert their own ideas of love, and see what actions and emotions robots attribute to affection.

Any games where you can work interpersonal details into play. For example, maybe "Asteroid Fishing" - scavenging where you can see what the different robots consider valuable or not. Pancake may like rock specimens, while Pickle prefers finding old space trash from the station. This gives you hints as to what you can give them as gifts later in the game.

Keep that 50s aesthetic going!
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!