Aeterna [Furry][18+][Gay/Bi/Straight][SFW mode available][VN][Surreal]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Sunkra
Projects: Aeterna

Aeterna [Furry][18+][Gay/Bi/Straight][SFW mode available][VN][Surreal]

#1 Post by Sunkra » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello everyone.

Ever since 'Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator' came out I've had the itch to give the visual novel medium a go (especially since I found this game to be lacking in content but I still liked its charm).
I've authored a ton of short stories and two webcomics before.

1. Introduction

My visual novel game is set in an anthropomorphic world and concerns the everyday life of an otter named 'Sunkra' and his love interest; a zebra named 'Milo'. The story focuses on Sunkra and his group of friends, his work and his environment.
The world is a mix of modern day commodities and fantasy, leading to surreal situations as well as very normal ones.

Though this is not a dating simulator, there is a friendship mechanic to increase Sunkra's standing with his friends to unlock possibilities in the game (some sooner than others). There are 18+ situations and sprites in this game, and in the future there will be 18+ scenes as well. These are mainly homosexual in nature but bisexual and heterosexual content is also provided.
When starting the game you're offered a choice between NSFW and SFW mode, the latter will censor nudity below the waist with a fig leaf and will cut out sexual tension and situations in the game.

2. Artwork

Most of the artwork in the game are placeholders for now. The drawn characters are from my older webcomic projects and the backgrounds from Google. It's the intention that everything will be replaced with brand new art assets.
So far Milo and Geist have received updated art assets and Sunkra has WIP art assets.

And a few screenshots of the game itself (please don't mind the standard layout, it will be replaced as one of the last things before finishing the game):

3. Constructive critique

I welcome constructive critique, feedback and tips very much!
Please do keep in my that it's my first ever visual novel project.

I haven't been able to get much feedback on the game, only from a few very close friends who are getting tired of me asking them to play test. :P
So I thought I'd stop lurking the forums for answers to questions and start being public about my project.

4. The game download links

Download the public Mac client here.
Download the public Windows/Linux client here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Your anti-virus may flag the game as a false positive because the program is unsigned. To bypass this, add the game to your anti-virus' exceptions list/whitelist, restore the .exe from its quarantine and try again.
IMPORTANT NOTICE 2: Never use old save files on a new version of the game! Always start fresh (and use the 'skip' button), otherwise the game may bug out.
Patch notes v.0.9.5.2:

Art.
- added new WIP art assets for Sunkra up until Crystal/Orlando's choice in chapter 6
NOTE: Sunkra's WIP art assets will not be finished but instead redone
- added new art assets for Milo up until chapter 2
- added new art assets for Geist up until chapter 6

Spelling and grammar.
- corrected a ton of typos and grammar mistakes

Gameplay.
- edited a ton of dialogue
- added a more interesting RNG mechanic to the intro's tabletop game scene with over a 100 different outcomes!

Other.
- probably a lot of stuff that slips my mind right now

6. Patreon link

If you'd find my visual novel game interesting enough to want to support me, I'd very much appreciate any support over on Patreon. Thank you!
The Patreon version adds two more chapters to play test, as chapters become fully completed they will shift over to the public version.

Thank you for your support!

5. Thank you for reading

Thank you for taking an interest in my project and possibly giving feedback on it!
It means a lot to me.
Last edited by Sunkra on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw, Let's MEAT Adam
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Aeterna [Furry][18+][Gay/Bi/Straight][SFW mode available][VN][Surreal]

#2 Post by illuminate001 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm

I dunno if you knew this, but once I unzipped your demo...the EXE file was causing all my malware and virus protection stuff to want to guarantee it. :(

Suffice it to say, I did not try your demo because of that.
ImageImage

Sunkra

#3 Post by Sunkra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 pm

illuminate001 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm
I dunno if you knew this, but once I unzipped your demo...the EXE file was causing all my malware and virus protection stuff to want to guarantee it. :(

Suffice it to say, I did not try your demo because of that.
Hey Illuminate001, the warning about the anti-virus stuff is marked under the download links in red.
Basically my program is unsigned and unknown to the AV's database, so it flags it as potential malware.
After doing some research, it seems any Ren'py project without a digital signature has the same problem.

Rest assured that my files are completely malware free.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw, Let's MEAT Adam
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
itch: soulsoftea

#4 Post by illuminate001 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Doh~! That's what I get for not reading the fine print...or in this case, the GLARING RED print. Thanks for clarifying!
ImageImage

Sunkra

#5 Post by Sunkra » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 am

Update: Added Sunkra's completed art assets.

Sunkra

#6 Post by Sunkra » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Update: Added Leia's completed art assets.