Hallow King [Halloween Themed Otome] [Supernatural/Comedy] [DEMO!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ConjuringCoffee
Projects: Hallow King; LOLOL
Tumblr: ConjuringCoffee

Hallow King [Halloween Themed Otome] [Supernatural/Comedy] [DEMO!]

#1 Post by ConjuringCoffee »

Booo!

It’s the spooky time of the year again!
Halloween!
You thought after this special spooky day it would be all over. Time for Christmas, right? ...Wrong!
There is still a very special and important event to come…

Follow along for a cute and exciting adventure to pick the next King of Halloween!
Who do the Monsters need to lead them? Who do you want to win? Decide in this short visual novel!

Should it be a strong and determined leader?

Or should he be quiet, kind and patient.

But maybe he should be more earnest and fierce!

You choose!

You should get to know them first though!
We do not want the wrong guy to get the crown now do we?
But, do not worry, we have got just the right thing for you…

The game is expected to be released in-full before the end of the month, although we can't provide any specific date for release at this point.
The game is a noncommercial project, so it will be completely free to download and enjoy. Except if you really want to support our work! Then you can always buy us a coffee at https://www.ko-fi.com/conjuringcoffee. Image
We would appreciate it very much and it would help us to continue making free games.

If you do grab this chance to play the demo and take a look at the game’s story, art and gameplay, please leave a little review or comment so that we know what you think! We love getting feedback.

Some things you can comment on are the storytelling, the plot, the art too, just everything that comes to your mind!

We, ConjuringCoffee, are a two-person team that wants to focus on visual novels for now. Lacey writes the beautiful stories while Sofie takes on the arts for characters, CGs and so on.
We are so excited to bring our first little game to you and we hope you’ll be excited too!
Attachments
LOGODemo.png
HallowKing DEMO mac.zip
(35.63 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
HallowKing DEMO pc.zip
(50.4 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by ConjuringCoffee on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConjuringCoffee

Re: Hallow King

#2 Post by ConjuringCoffee »

Well hello there!

With our Demo one week published we'd like to update you on a few things! First you might notice that we upgraded our character pictures a bit! They got a little frame and a background too!

The CGs are in work and the story is almost all done!

Plus we would love to hear what you think about our little project! So we will take the admins advice and start the conversation!

What are your thoughts on the story and the setting?
Do you want to know what will happen next?

Any comments on the characters?
For example their design, behaviour or just their whole character! (If you played the demo)

How's the lenght of the demo?
Maybe too short, too long, or just the right lenght?

Or whatever you can think of! Since this is our first game published feedback is more than apprechiated! ♥
ImageImageImage

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

Re: Hallow King [Halloween Themed Otome] [Supernatural/Comedy] [DEMO!]

#3 Post by Smaymay »

Congrats on your demo release guys!

What are your thoughts on the story and the setting?
I'm curious about how this story will unfold. At first, I thought the protagonist was a real-life witch but I was pleasantly surprised when I learned she was going to a costume party. But what will happen at that party? And where did those guys come from? Hmm...

Any comments on the characters?
The art style is cute and vibrant and the expressions are really funny. (But whenever an expression change occurs the dialogue box moves up and down 1 pixel. Don't know if this has anything to do with my computer or my operating system, but I thought I might as well mention it.) The protagonist is pretty relatable and I find myself laughing at her comments. The blue marshmallow is my favourite so far. I'm rooting for him.

How's the lenght of the demo?
This demo felt like a premise of a story but in my opinion, it was a bit too short. I'm used to demo's being around 20 min. and I completed this demo in 10 min. so I didn't feel a strong connection with the story and characters, yet. I could get a grasp of their personality but would've liked to talk to them a bit longer.

Good luck with the development. I look forward to the full game. :)

ConjuringCoffee

#4 Post by ConjuringCoffee »

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback Smaymay! It makes us so happy to see someone tried our game and was even a little bit interested!

May I ask what operating system you were running the game on? And what screen resolution? So far we have been unable to duplicate the movement of the dialogue box that you reported but we’d really like to get to the bottom of that and fix it.

As for the length of the demo, we’re glad you were able to get a feel for our characters personalities in a short amount of time. The full game is going to be fairly short by most standards, and since this is our first time publishing a demo we didn’t really know how long it should be. ^-^’’ We will absolutely keep this in mind for future demos. We’d love for people to connect to our characters more, and of course we'd love to give you the opportunity to talk to them as much as you want!

Also please keep rooting for Dorian, he needs the encouragement. ;)
ImageImageImage

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#5 Post by AntiquedFae »

I played it. It was cute and Halloween-y!

The story is simple, but I think that's a good thing sometimes. I'm curious to see it explained more, like why the main character was chosen, why it is choosing between these three etc. The setting is fantastic. I love the backgrounds!

The characters are...okay. If I'm being honest, I think they might have been a little on the weak side, but this is a short, cute game and the setting is super fun so I don't mind too much. Their designs aren't my favourite though I love the art style. They seem a little simple, and I think a bit too light-coloured since it is a Halloween game. I tend to associate darker colours with most monsters, except for ghosts of course, which is probably why the ghost boy is my favourite. He's also just very sweet. I liked the relationship between the vampire and werewolf though! Their banter was fun.

I agree with Smaymay; the demo did feel a little short, but I was expecting that since the game itself will be short. So that makes sense to me.

All in all, the game is cute and I am looking forward to the release. I think it will be a fun time!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

#6 Post by Smaymay »

ConjuringCoffee wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm Thank you so much for the valuable feedback Smaymay! It makes us so happy to see someone tried our game and was even a little bit interested!

May I ask what operating system you were running the game on? And what screen resolution? So far we have been unable to duplicate the movement of the dialogue box that you reported but we’d really like to get to the bottom of that and fix it.

As for the length of the demo, we’re glad you were able to get a feel for our characters personalities in a short amount of time. The full game is going to be fairly short by most standards, and since this is our first time publishing a demo we didn’t really know how long it should be. ^-^’’ We will absolutely keep this in mind for future demos. We’d love for people to connect to our characters more, and of course we'd love to give you the opportunity to talk to them as much as you want!

Also please keep rooting for Dorian, he needs the encouragement. ;)
No problem! Glad to be of help. :) l"ll check in from time to time how the process is going. And about that dialoguebox problem. I was running the game on Windows 10 and a 1920x1080 resolution. For reference, I also played the tutorial visual novel that comes with ren'py and the problem doesn't occur there. Let me know If you need anything else from me~

ConjuringCoffee

#7 Post by ConjuringCoffee »

AntiquedFae wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks so much for your honest feedback Fae!
We're super happy that you like the setting and art so much! It's a bit sad to hear that the characters seem a bit weak but it's good to know that you think so. Maybe they'll seem stronger as soon as you get a chance to get to know them more! ^-^
We'll keep everything in mind for future projects and see if we can still implement some things in this one! And it's really cute that you like Dorian the most! The sweetheart apprechiates it!
Smaymay wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm
That's so nice to hear Smaymay! And thanks for the information!
We weren't able to find the source of the problem yet... but we'll look more into it!
ImageImageImage

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#8 Post by AntiquedFae »

Thanks so much for your honest feedback Fae!
We're super happy that you like the setting and art so much! It's a bit sad to hear that the characters seem a bit weak but it's good to know that you think so. Maybe they'll seem stronger as soon as you get a chance to get to know them more! ^-^
We'll keep everything in mind for future projects and see if we can still implement some things in this one! And it's really cute that you like Dorian the most! The sweetheart apprechiates it!
I hope I didn't seem too critical; I really love this game's concept and so many things about it! That's honestly probably why was more critical. I want to help make it even better if I can. I'm sure the characters will grow on me more as I have more time spent with them. :) It's hard to get attached to characters in a short amount of time of course. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them all more in the complete game! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

ConjuringCoffee

#9 Post by ConjuringCoffee »

AntiquedFae wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:36 pm
Thank you so much!
No no you weren't too critical! It's super good to know where we can still improve! It really helps out a lot to get the view from other peoples views! It's important to us to hear you guys opinions and ideas to insert them when possible! ^-^
Plus the positive feedback is even more valuable when we know that you're always being honest and saying when something isn't feeling good. ;D
We'll work hard on it! :)
ImageImageImage