The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot - Fully Voiced Demo Released! [Mystery][Comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CCNBdev
Regular
Projects: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot
Organization: RockTheClockGaming

The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot - Fully Voiced Demo Released! [Mystery][Comedy]

#1 Post by CCNBdev »

RockTheClockGaming, an independent game company of two, Caty Herndon and Marty Duff, presents to you, its first game, The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot! We've been working hard at this game for almost 2 years now and we're still not done! So please keep in mind that everything you see here may change in the future.

The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot, is an exciting point and click adventure game where you search for clues, question witnesses, and put together the facts to figure out who dun it! In addition to this, it is also a visual novel with a rich story driven by the ever optimistic protagonist Grace Sinclair!

Available for PC, Linux, and Mac.

Click here to play our free demo!

If you enjoyed our game, please support us on kickstarter!

Trailer

Synopsis

Grace Sinclair is a less than stellar student. In fact, she’s flunked out of her high school at 20 years old! That’s not even the worst of her problems. When she gets home later that day, her dad kicks her out! Now starving and homeless, our hero bravely steals a snack from the convenience store on the other side of town.

Just then, a masked man comes in! He holds up the store, waving a gun around and demands for all the money in the register or there’ll be consequences.The police show up and out of luck, Grace is able to help them find out the identity of the robber. The head detective, Delilah Araceli, is so impressed she offers Grace a job. Feeling that this may be her chance to make a true difference in the world, she accepts the job! The only problem is, Grace does NOT have good reasoning skills and on top of that has a condition where she faints at the sight of blood!

As you progress through the story, it’s up to Grace to solve cases from homicide to domestic abuse to the legends of the mysterious and murderous serial killer known only as “The Banshee”. All while she’s hiding her secret from her quirky co-workers, who I remind you are DETECTIVES, or else she’ll end up back on the streets!

She’ll have to solve her hardest case yet when she faces, The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot.

What others are saying about our game:

Characters
Grace Sinclair
Very optimistic, caring, and naive. She’s terrible at English (held back twice because of reading problems and started school a year late). Absolutely, adores her dad and takes care of him when he has episodes of intense depression. Faints at the sight of blood.
Lem Yasui

Very perceptive and sarcastic. He finds others in awkward or uncomfortable situations funny, and takes great enjoyment in placing them there though he’d never do anything to cause others harm. Has a lot of confidence and this can sometimes lead him to do odd things that he is convinced is normal such as ride elevators with his back turned to the door. He is also not very good at expressing his feelings or hearing feelings from others and can be rightly classified as a tsundere.
Delilah Araceli

Smart, clever, beautiful, and kind. Though she is intelligent and fun to be around, she is unaware of these qualities and as a result is self doubting and socially awkward. She believes that using the younger generation’s lingo will make her seem younger and more attractive but often comes off as trying too hard.
George Poppell
Family-oriented, can’t talk enough about his kids. Even carries around their sonograms and birth certificates. He’s not very social, and usually declares dramatic statements incorrectly when excited. For example, when he proposed to his wife, he told her he was having heart failure. When she insisted on bringing him to the hospital, he frantically apologized and said he meant that she had stolen his heart and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.
Bernard Bejerot

At his job, Bernard is very enthusiastic and no rule is too small to break. Off the clock, he is very endearing and kind. He cries at every movie where a county law is broken. He can’t get angry without tearing up and sincerely believes world peace can be achieved.

Game Mechanics
Finding Clues

The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot isn't about clicking everything on the screen hoping you'll find everything. When you search for clues, everything that Grace thinks is important to the case will light up! This is done when you scroll your mouse over an important item. Everything you find is kept in the little evidence folder in the top left corner.
Blood Meter

Not all evidence is pretty. Sometimes they're covered in blood! Since Grace faints at the sight of blood, she can only look at 4 bloody items before passing out! It's up to you to decide which pieces of evidence will help your case or drive you around in circles! Don't worry though, the game will ask you whether or not you want to look at an item if it has blood on it.
Questioning Witnesses

Questioning witnesses is an important way to find clues and catch the villain!
If you play good cop, some witnesses may feel comfortable opening up to you, but other witnesses will use it as a chance to take advantage of you and completely ignore your questions!
If you play bad cop, some witnesses may feel scared and completely gush all the juicy details of the case! But! Other witnesses will get offended and not want to speak with you!

It's up to you to figure out what kind of personality your witness has and what kinds of things you'll have to say to make them talk! If you don’t get any information out of your witness, the case will be that much harder to solve!

Please support us here!

Our Development Blog: https://thecoldcaseofnoellabejerot.wordpress.com

Our free demo comes out this December so please follow us here so you don't miss its big release!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCNBdev

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TCCNB/
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (7.99 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Last edited by CCNBdev on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 am, edited 25 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot Demo Trailer! [Mystery][Comedy]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I think you'll benefit if you can sum up your project in a few words. Write several short, appealing descriptions of your story. Think about who might enjoy it, and what sort of things they enjoy. Look at how other video game developers have pitched their projects. (Recently I learned about an indie dev who got people's attention at a fan convention by shouting "Are you tired of waiting for the next Advance Wars?" Something kind of like that.)
CCNBdev wrote:...after establishing the themes of the game, i.e. more light-hearted and goofy, I realized that the more classical “anime” style didn’t reflect the game’s aesthetic. I changed it to a more western cartoon style...
Looking at the two group character group pictures from the blog post that I quoted, I would describe the drawings as "slightly exaggerated" and "big head mode." :lol: Regardless, I like your character drawings. I usually enjoy 2D art which isn't especially realistic or dour.

Did you have any specific influences for your drawings? Mention whether you have a favorite series or illustrator. In my opinion, it helps to have influences which you can cite. I think that it could make the difference between "art which looks kind of like VHS tapes the person saw while browsing shelves at Suncoast" and "art which has steadily improved through research, practice and an individual style."
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

CCNBdev
Regular

#3 Post by CCNBdev »

Hi @gekiganwing! Thanks for the feedback!

I won't address any of the art feedback since that was written by my artist, but I'll let her know what you said and that you liked her art.

The blogs about the game unfortuantely do not have short descriptions of the game because it's a development blog about our progress. They tend to be long because I assume that the people taking the time to read them have read a short description of the game from the posts that direct them to the blogs. If that makes sense. I have oodles of short descriptions littered through out all our social media accounts such as on twitter it reads "How's a detective who faints at the sight of blood able to solve crimes?🔍Find out in CCNB a murder mystery adventure game! Updates every Wed & free demo in Dec!" Would this be a statement that catches your eye? Should I put it in the post above?

This is the very first game I've developed or marketed so I've still got a lot to learn. Thank you for taking the time to help and show interest in our project. :)

Mikomi
Veteran

#4 Post by Mikomi »

CCNBdev wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 am I have oodles of short descriptions littered through out all our social media accounts such as on twitter it reads "How's a detective who faints at the sight of blood able to solve crimes?🔍Find out in CCNB a murder mystery adventure game! Updates every Wed & free demo in Dec!" Would this be a statement that catches your eye? Should I put it in the post above?
Post something that will catch people's eyes more than just a few links. We like to see a lot of images and descriptions on threads, as it makes it appear that the devs really care about their product and want more people to know about it since they put in a lot of time into making the thread. Take a look at the other threads in the WIP section to get a feel for what gekiganwing and I mean.

That being said, the screenshots do look interesting! Why don't you add a few of those to the original post?

CCNBdev
Regular

#5 Post by CCNBdev »

@Mikomi oh thank you for letting me know that! It seems that every website has different expectations. I'm so use to twitter's short tweets that I was scared people wouldn't read a very long post. Let me try and rework this post a bit. Thank you again for the help!

CCNBdev
Regular

#6 Post by CCNBdev »

Mikomi wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 am
CCNBdev wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 am I have oodles of short descriptions littered through out all our social media accounts such as on twitter it reads "How's a detective who faints at the sight of blood able to solve crimes?🔍Find out in CCNB a murder mystery adventure game! Updates every Wed & free demo in Dec!" Would this be a statement that catches your eye? Should I put it in the post above?
Post something that will catch people's eyes more than just a few links. We like to see a lot of images and descriptions on threads, as it makes it appear that the devs really care about their product and want more people to know about it since they put in a lot of time into making the thread. Take a look at the other threads in the WIP section to get a feel for what gekiganwing and I mean.

That being said, the screenshots do look interesting! Why don't you add a few of those to the original post?
How's this? :D

Mikomi
Veteran

#7 Post by Mikomi »

CCNBdev wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am

Looks a lot better, now people have a solid idea of what your group's project is about without having to go digging. 👍 You can always "bump" posts by posting updates, but make sure you have new content to show, as the bottom of the Post Reply section says:
Do not simply bump threads (eg. write "bump!"), especially in the recruitment forum. Post updated content instead.
If you ever feel like people aren't noticing your post, try posting on other people's threads.

CCNBdev
Regular

#8 Post by CCNBdev »

Mikomi wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Looks a lot better, now people have a solid idea of what your group's project is about without having to go digging. 👍 You can always "bump" posts by posting updates, but make sure you have new content to show, as the bottom of the Post Reply section says:
Do not simply bump threads (eg. write "bump!"), especially in the recruitment forum. Post updated content instead.
If you ever feel like people aren't noticing your post, try posting on other people's threads.
Thank you so much for the help again! Quick question, would you recommend commenting with an update when releasing our Demo or Kickstarter or should those be seperate posts?

Mikomi
Veteran

#9 Post by Mikomi »

CCNBdev wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm
Mikomi wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Thank you so much for the help again! Quick question, would you recommend commenting with an update when releasing our Demo or Kickstarter or should those be seperate posts?
Do it whenever it feels right. Take a look at how other people here space out their updates- some people make an update reply on their threads on set days that accumulate all the new content they've made since the last post while some post an update whenever they have new content to show such as a new sprite or such. If you launch the demo and the kickstarter on the same day, I'd make a single update post about them. Otherwise, use your own discretion.

CCNBdev
Regular

#10 Post by CCNBdev »

We have a beautiful new banner on our Twitter and Facebook page!

CCNBdev
Regular

#11 Post by CCNBdev »

Wonder what's left to finish our demo? Read our November Progress report here! https://thecoldcaseofnoellabejerot.word ... ess-report

CCNBdev
Regular

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot Demo Trailer! [Mystery][Comedy][GxB]

#12 Post by CCNBdev »

I'm happy to announce that George is completely coded in for the demo! 

CCNBdev
Regular

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot Demo Trailer! [WesternArt][Mystery][Comedy][GxB]

#13 Post by CCNBdev »

George and Delilah are all finished for our Demo!!!

CCNBdev
Regular

Re: The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot Demo Trailer! [WesternArt][Mystery][Comedy][GxB]

#14 Post by CCNBdev »

The Cold Case of Noella Bejerot now has custom text boxes!

CCNBdev
Regular

#15 Post by CCNBdev »

New window icon! Image