Vora [Post-Apocalyptic] [Pixel] [Commercial]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

Vora [Post-Apocalyptic] [Pixel] [Commercial]

#1 Post by TellerFarsight »

TitleCard.png

Vora is a post-apocalyptic story of a mysterious old hermit man living in an abandoned city, an undetermined number of years after an apocalypse. On a day much like any other, a group of survivors enter the city, his city, and set up base. At first he just tries to avoid them, but then he starts to feel like they're taking up resources, and just generally messing up his way of life. He decides to find some way to get rid of them.

The story is structured like a multi-act play, inspired by things like The Walking Dead, the works of William Faulkner, the board game Fiasco, and many plays and stories I've read over the years. You take the perspective of the silent old hermit man (photo above, leftmost), and all the dialogue is between these five survivors (photo above, left to right: Aggy, Diana, Francis, Les, Deborah). It will be ~45k words and have multiple endings depending on what you do.

You play as the old man, but he never talks. There are no branching dialogue choices or simple menu options. The gameplay of this game is much like redlight-greenlight, where you sneak around the area where the five survivors are making camp, moving only when no one is looking and moving from spots when you are about to be discovered. It is fairly simple, done using a single "Action" button that you need to time only insofar as clicking it during the right line of dialogue. It is your decisions on when to use the "Action" button that affects the story.

Check out the team!
Nelson Wu - Background Artist - @instant_onion
And check me out on twitter! - @TellerFarsight

Progress
Writing 2/30 (outlined 100%)
Sprites & Animations 70% - still need inventory and parkour animations
Backgrounds 60% - still one more background, and then evening variants
GUI 100% -WHOOO!
Music 20% - Tunes planned out, just need a good program to make them
Programming 60% - still need inventory and player interaction

Vora Music Tracklist (Old version that I hate now and will start redoing soon):

Voracious
Spread of Flowers
Lovejaw
Demeter's Domain
Blight
Consumed Bloody

Last edited by TellerFarsight on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Vora [Post-Apocalyptic] [Pixel] [Commercial]

#2 Post by Scribbles »

I remember you telling me about this, the pixel art looks great! I'll try to keep tabs on this > < I'm excited to see it come out
Image - Image -Image

TellerFarsight
Veteran

#3 Post by TellerFarsight »

Working on the music. Bear with me, I'm real new to this, but I think they turned out pretty good. There's going to be 6 tracks in total, and I'll have the initial attempts at them all finished pretty soon. I'll put the link on the main post.

yaelso
Projects: From the Sugar Plum Kingdom
Tumblr: yaelso
Deviantart: yaelso
itch: yaelso

#4 Post by yaelso »

The premise of this is wicked interesting! The whole use of the "action" button is a nice veer from the grain, plus there could definitely be more post-apocalyptic stories that aren't so...cookie cutter, I guess? I'll be sure to keep an eye out for more updates-- best of luck!

TellerFarsight
Veteran

#5 Post by TellerFarsight »

Thanks! I hope the story feels original and unique when you guys can get your hands on it; I'm trying hard to make it interesting.

I originally planned for the demo to be only the first 3 scenes, but I'm bumping it up to be the first 5, just to give a little bit more of a tease and because I'm kind of getting antsy.

Anyway, the soundtrack is now complete! I mean I've never really made music before and I might end up getting a real composer to clean up these songs, but hey I made something. I think they're pretty alright; y'all can go have a listen using the links in the main post.

I'll be back later, hopefully with some art.

TellerFarsight
Veteran

#6 Post by TellerFarsight »

Things have been progressing quickly. Check out the first background and walking animation in the teaser video I put in the main post. Check back here tomorrow as well, I'll be making a more polished teaser #2 and cleaning up this whole post tonight after work.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#7 Post by YossarianIII »

Hey, just wanted to say I think the art for this one looks pretty cool! I watched the video and the animation looks great.

I've always thought visual novels are kind of like plays and that people could really do some interesting things if they drew more influence from plays. So I'll definitely be interested to check this one out! :)

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

This is super cool, I think I remember you posting about this concept somewhere. The pixel art is absolutely gorgeous, I wish you the best of luck in completing this!

TellerFarsight
Veteran

#9 Post by TellerFarsight »

Hey everyone!
It's been a while since I updated this. It's good to hear there is some interest for it. There was a bit of a change because I went and learned how to do pixel animation myself, and took over animating for this project to develop my own skills. I've posted a second, more robust teaser video onto the original post, which hopefully shows how far I've come with the animation and programming. It will take a while for me to animate the other three characters' walk cycles, and then ALL the other animations, but rest assured that I am still working on this project. Also, I've made changes to the character designs since last posting, they now look like this:
BaseBigger.png
BaseBigger.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 2884 times

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#10 Post by Ertal77 »

I saw the teasers on Discord, and wow! I love these animations and how they work with the background! Congrats!
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

TellerFarsight
Veteran

#11 Post by TellerFarsight »

Alrighty, so here's the second of hopefully 3 full update videos. I've made a lot of progress in the past two months, thanks to a lot of people on this forum.
-new background
-3 new characters
-beepy voices and talking indicator
-improved vertical movement
-multiple characters can walk at the same time
-the entire UI
-finished all standard stand,walk,run,and sit animations, as well as a few idle animations and some unique one
-not part of the game, but I got OBS so this video isn't an affront to the eyes.
I'll update the original post a little bit, but I promise you I am too lazy to redo all of it.

If all goes according to plan, the next update video will have an inventory system implemented and animated, so characters can handle items like guns and bats, walk with them, use them, pass them to each other, etc. The biggest thing is that I'll be working on the soundtrack.

After that I'll probably go dark on actually showing updates, because The final things will be the gameplay aspect, making The Hermit fully playable, and then actually writing out the whole script.