Synthetic Lover [Sci-fi, Drama with Romance, Yaoi] Releasing December 16 on itch.io

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Knight of Hearts
Regular

Re: Synthetic Lover [Sci-fi, Drama with Romance, Yaoi] 18+

#16 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Backgrounds section added! 8)

A Sci-fi Drama with Romance in Development (Yaoi, 18+) --- Join public DISCORD: https://discord.gg/yPDEZkN

Magiriano

#17 Post by Magiriano »

Magnificent! :o

I am impressed with the work of the artist. In all images, entourage creates a feeling of cold and loneliness, something like claustrophobia. I imagine the sound of footsteps and an indifferent, uncomfortable surroundings. These background plans are carefully worked out, the first causes me to have strong associations with the game "Shadowrun Returns". If you do not know this popular cyberpunk, be sure to check it out. It will certainly inspire you to new ideas.

I really really hope that the game will also have warm and cozy backgrounds as much as these are cold and uncomfortable (but still gorgeous).

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#18 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Magiriano wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:51 pm Magnificent! :o

I am impressed with the work of the artist. In all images, entourage creates a feeling of cold and loneliness, something like claustrophobia. I imagine the sound of footsteps and an indifferent, uncomfortable surroundings. These background plans are carefully worked out, the first causes me to have strong associations with the game "Shadowrun Returns". If you do not know this popular cyberpunk, be sure to check it out. It will certainly inspire you to new ideas.

I really really hope that the game will also have warm and cozy backgrounds as much as these are cold and uncomfortable (but still gorgeous).
Thanks so much for the feedback, this really our backgrounds artist's day! :)
We're definitely familiar with the Shadowrun games, indeed a delightful source of inspiration in terms of sci-fi!
A Sci-fi Drama with Romance in Development (Yaoi, 18+) --- Join public DISCORD: https://discord.gg/yPDEZkN

Knight of Hearts
Regular

soundtrack samples are added!

#19 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Sample tracks:

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#20 Post by Knight of Hearts »

CGs and Voice over added!
Just a couple of examples of in-game CGs!

Magiriano

#21 Post by Magiriano »

It's good to know that the characters have their own voices. :) It is a pity that there are no samples - very curious to listen to. Illustrations also look wonderful and peaceful.

But the melodies sound too heavy. Strong basses give a load on the ears. I think for many people basses are associated with urban themes of megacities and nightclubs, but for places like living quarters and scientific laboratories, quieter and more sonorous sounds are more suitable, I guess. The illustration with Bastian looks charming, but when I think that he is in a room with loud bass music, the mood goes away. I wonder what kind of music Bastian and Terrance like?

If we talk about futuristic and sci-fi melodies, then those who sound energetic and light are closest to me. For example, the superb soundtrack of "Space rangers".

Here is one of my favorite tunes.

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#22 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Magiriano wrote:It's good to know that the characters have their own voices. :) It is a pity that there are no samples - very curious to listen to.
Not to worry, the demo is already in the works with the voice over included for all the characters XD...should be available in fact sometime in April!
Magiriano wrote:Illustrations also look wonderful and peaceful.
Thank you kindly :) they aren't really meant to be peaceful per se, but yeah it's not a dark hack and slash action game, and since the focus on relationships and character interactions we're trying to have visuals that best showcase that.
Magiriano wrote:But the melodies sound too heavy. Strong basses give a load on the ears. I think for many people basses are associated with urban themes of megacities and nightclubs, but for places like living quarters and scientific laboratories, quieter and more sonorous sounds are more suitable, I guess. The illustration with Bastian looks charming, but when I think that he is in a room with loud bass music, the mood goes away. I wonder what kind of music Bastian and Terrance like?
The two tracks included as samples are meant to represent the general feel of the game, the emotional drama and a sense adventure, and yeah...a general summary of the feel of the game. We have separate sound tracks for ambient/environment and they are quite different from the theme tracks. Not to worry :)

The Space Rangers is definitely pretty cool! Interestingly enough while working and thinking on the sound track we were faced with the fact that there's quite a lot of spacey sounding tracks out there...and we really had to think what would be appropriate for an urban setting.

thanks again for your feedback, btw :)

Sanadi
Tumblr: fantasticblazepoetry
itch: sanadi

#23 Post by Sanadi »

1. Which romance option, hm. Impulsively I'd say, Terrence, because I like his looks and because I just love these 'more than he appears' options in games. Gets me every time. And his likes and dislikes are somewhat similiar to mine.
It would still be very hard to choose, because it seems that there's something more to Bastian as well and freedom and security are such understandable motives.

2. About the dynamics: I fully agree with your idea here and find that vastly more interesting than the usual seme/uke dynamic.

3. The antagonist being a shady organisation is fine with me. I don't have a strong opinion onn this.

4. I am, admittedly, a happy end person. There are enough sad things in RL, I don't need that in fiction, too.
It wouldn't stop me from playing, though, if I could get at least one happy end among severals, at least.

5, Regarding choices, I like the fact that there are game changing choices in Bioware games, that they exists and I could take them, but I am more of a get to know the characters person.

6. It's nice that you included an option to avoid the romance, that's really interesting.
Will that be the default or will it be a more conscious choice?
Will the sex scenes be mandatory? It would be great if you had an option there.

I really like the concept so far. Good luck with it.

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#24 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Sanadi wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 am 1. Which romance option, hm. Impulsively I'd say, Terrence, because I like his looks and because I just love these 'more than he appears' options in games. Gets me every time. And his likes and dislikes are somewhat similiar to mine.
It would still be very hard to choose, because it seems that there's something more to Bastian as well and freedom and security are such understandable motives.

4. I am, admittedly, a happy end person. There are enough sad things in RL, I don't need that in fiction, too.
It wouldn't stop me from playing, though, if I could get at least one happy end among severals, at least.

6. It's nice that you included an option to avoid the romance, that's really interesting.
Will that be the default or will it be a more conscious choice?
Will the sex scenes be mandatory? It would be great if you had an option there.

I really like the concept so far. Good luck with it.
hey, Sanadi! Thanks so much for contributing with your thoughtful comments and questions!

1. Glald you like Terrance, he's definitely got a lot going on that doesn't catch the eye, but you're right right to suspect that there's more to Bastian then meets the eye. One of the goals of this game is to make the route characters as complex and human-like as possible, so we're hoping the create them with multiple layers that will be revealed when the player engages with them.

4. In our opinion in a romance game a happy end is a must, so it there will definitely be there along with the some of the others...:)

6. Yes, there's an option to not pursue a romantic relationship with each route! Actually, the isn't a default setting which type of relationship the main character will have with a chosen companion. Though, admittedly, we're having a lot of fun creating assets (dialogue, art, voice over, etc) for the romance branches, a friendship is a definite possibility for each route, since ultimately relationships don't all have to be romantic to be interesting.

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#25 Post by Knight of Hearts »

ui stuff now added!

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#26 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Updates!!! #yey

- Details of the game updated into a cleaner look
- Step by step for CG added
- A preview of expressions / poses / outfits added for two characters of the main cast
Check out some of the expressions, poses and outfits of the main cast!

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#27 Post by Inksword »

I'm really digging the general art direction here, from the sound to the backgrounds to the sprites! Love the range of futuristic styles you have going on, from the more familiar and practical to stuff that definitely looks like crazy future fashion trends. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this!

Knight of Hearts
Regular

#28 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Inksword wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm I'm really digging the general art direction here, from the sound to the backgrounds to the sprites! Love the range of futuristic styles you have going on, from the more familiar and practical to stuff that definitely looks like crazy future fashion trends. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this!
Thank you so much for your comment!
I'm very grateful that someone can appreciate the attempt to create unity and consistency within the different assets of the game. Stay tuned for the demo!

Knight of Hearts
Regular

Re: Synthetic Lover [Commercial][Sci-fi, Drama with Romance, Yaoi] 18+

#29 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Hiatus notice

Knight of Hearts
Regular

Re: Synthetic Lover [Commercial][Sci-fi, Drama with Romance, Yaoi] 18+

#30 Post by Knight of Hearts »

Twitter is officially on.