Blake VN [Linear/Episodic/Comic/Vigilante/Sci-Fi/Thriller] [In Development]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LegendOri

Blake VN [Linear/Episodic/Comic/Vigilante/Sci-Fi/Thriller] [In Development]

#1 Post by LegendOri »

Introducing Blake VN - Graphic novel meets visual novel
Blake_Comic_Box.png
Blake_Comic_Box.png (38.29 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
The sci-fi thriller visual novel tells the story of Blake and his transformation into a vigilante. Set in a tech-intelligent world, Blake is framed for a crime he didn't commit which turns his world upside down. Join Blake through the rainy city of New Stone as he uncovers secrets from the past and finds help along the way on his journey in the age old tale of good vs. evil.

Inspired by Batman, Blade Runner and Watchmen, Blake is a sci-fi noir episodic adventure.

Release Date: TBC 2018
Platform: Steam PC
Episodes: 3 confirmed, more to come
Writing: 80% 10K words per episode
Artwork: 60%
Programming: 90%
Character_Intro_Jon.png
Character_Intro_Oli.png
Character_Intro_Max.png
Character_Intro_Tim.png
Character_Intro_Chris.png
Character_Intro_Lee.png
Last edited by LegendOri on Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am, edited 9 times in total.

LegendOri

Re: Blake VN [Linear/Episodic/Comic/Vigilante/Sci-Fi/Thriller] [In Development]

#2 Post by LegendOri »

I have removed the concept art from this post as we are in final character stages now and I will introduce official characters in the near future.

We are also on Twitter @BlakeVN3 so we'd love you to show support and follow!

Is there anything you'd like me to clarify or something that hasn't been answered?
What do you like/dislike about the idea so far?
I'd love to hear from you :)
Last edited by LegendOri on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I like the character portraits, since they're a little bit exaggerated. (If you're curious, I do not tend to enjoy photorealistic drawings, especially when the main characters are humans.)
LegendOri wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:40 amThe kinetic sci-fi thriller visual novel tells the story of Blake and his transformation into a vigilante. Set a tech-intelligent world, Blake is framed for a crime he didn't commit which turns his world upside down. Join Blake as he uncovers secrets from the past and finds help along the way on his journey to fight the evil that has awakened in the rainy, neon city of New Stone.
I like at least three things about this premise:

1. It promises external conflict. That's something I have enjoyed in fiction all of my life. I've had good experiences with many books and movies with "person versus person" and "person versus nature" conflicts, in which the main character has to act and react.

2. It has a fictional world. There have been times when I've disliked real world settings because I wanted more escapism. Occasionally I dislike a real world setting if the premise has too much emphasis on current or unresolved problems. ("Do I want to read this story about war protesters?")

3. Adult characters in major roles.

A couple of worries:

1. Will the main characters grow, ask challenging questions, or discover things about themselves? I say this because I can walk into a library and borrow any number of movies which promise a lot of spectacle, a science fiction world, characters journeying to fight an enemy, or vigilante protagonists. However, I wonder whether I will remember the movie for years, or whether I'll forget it the next day. In my opinion, it helps if a main character grows. Or if a character has to reconsider their assumptions about their world. Or if a character has to confront the person which they have been. (While I didn't like Blade Runner when I first watched it five years ago, it stuck with me because it had these aspects. A negative example would be watching 300: Rise of an Empire in a theater. It was diverting, but I can barely remember anything about it.)

2. I have sometimes associated stories which include many adult characters with negative things. These include a relentless focus on violence, a thoroughly depressing world which seems unsalvageable, treating humor as something abhorrent, and avoiding any positive depictions of romantic relationships. Having written that, I admit that I am probably focusing too much on concepts which I dislike. I also admit that I am having trouble thinking of specific examples which have these traits. (Maybe it's because I had few positive thoughts about how video gaming fandom changed during the 2000s. Maybe it's because I had difficulty finding personally interesting comics written in English in the early 2000s, and then walked away from fandom.)

LegendOri

#4 Post by LegendOri »

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. The character drawings are not finalised images but there will only be minor differences with the completed versions.

You raise some very interesting points, I will try my best to be as factual and as unbiased as I can! All I can say is that I hope you will feel immersed in Blake's world as well as being able to connect and grow with the characters. There is a lot of emphasis on narrative and dialogue rather than an action heavy plot, which is also in part the reason why it has been made into a visual novel over a graphic novel. There will be some violence and a few scenes some viewers may find shocking but not overused and no over-the-top gore.

Blake VN focuses not only on Blake's personal journey but those around him and the decisions they've made. There is a lot to be noticed and to learn about the characters and their backstories. There will be some small choices and minor puzzle-solving throughout the episodes but I must emphasise that this is a linear game.

I hope I've given you enough information to assuage your trepidation, and I am aiming to send out keycodes for Blake Episode 1 to those that subscribe to www.blakevn.com upon release. If there's anything I've missed or something else you are interested to find out please let me know.
Last edited by LegendOri on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendOri

#5 Post by LegendOri »

Hello!

I've been a bit slack with progress reports and now that we're at about 80% of characters in final completion stage so I've added some characters to introduce to you!

salamandra88art
Regular

#6 Post by salamandra88art »

I like the visual style of the characters. Looks attractive: 3

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#7 Post by JBShields »

Looks great! Can't wait to read.