Picture Perfect Romance [GxB] [Friendship, Romance, Comedy, Celebrity, FREE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
renkka
Regular
Projects: Picture Perfect Romance, Mizari Loves Company, SSWK, Angels with Broken Hearts
Organization: Reine Works, Crystal Compass

Picture Perfect Romance [GxB] [Friendship, Romance, Comedy, Celebrity, FREE]

#1 Post by renkka » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

"Picture Perfect Romance" is a lighthearted otome game with a focus on character interactions and relationship-building between all of the characters. The story has deeper elements to it as well, but those will be revealed as you play the routes!

What I'm basically hoping to gain with this thread are general reactions, suggestions, and feedback from everyone.

[From left to right: MC, Jerri, Zene, Vin, Nate]

Picture Perfect Romance
Genres: Friendship, Romance, Comedy, Adventure, Otome Game (GxB)

STORY

Famous actress, Kara Devara (Customizable Name), receives an exclusive invitation to a VIP party at a luxurious mansion. On the night of the party, Kara is met with the biggest surprise of her life. The party only has four other guests: Jerri Liun, Zene Moon, Nate Roserenos, and Vin Nadyatkhul, some of the hottest male celebs in the industry. The five of them discover they will be living together in the house for the next ten days as part of the reality TV program, "Picture Perfect Reality."

During that time, will they develop more than just on-screen friendships? Will Kara's “Picture Perfect Reality” become a “Picture Perfect Romance” between her and one of her attractive co-stars?

CHARACTERS

[ Kara Devara ]
Actress/Model/TV Personality
Personality: Optimistic, Ambitious, Adventurous, Honest, Sociable, Stubborn, Bold
Hobbies: Jogging, Exercising, Acting, Socializing, Watching Movies/TV Shows
Background: Her charming, confident, honest personality and talent made her successful in the entertainment industry at a young age. Her humble beginnings and gradual rise to success inspired many aspiring entertainers to pursue their dreams. Now a successful actress, model, and TV personality, she’s interested in meeting new people, gaining more life experiences, and finding more purpose in everyday things.
Initial Reaction to "Picture Perfect Reality":
"I came here expecting a VIP party, but when I got here, there was no party at all! I guess it's a big opportunity to make new friends and have new experiences."

[ Jerri Liun ]
Idol
Personality: Sensitive, Adventurous, Playful, Honest, Impulsive, Naive, Hyper
Hobbies: Singing, Dancing, Listening to music, Socializing, Playing games, Makeup
Background: Jerri is a member of the popular boy band, Re:Vamp, and his outgoing, adventurous, and fun image has earned him millions of fans around the world. Nicknamed the “Trend Idol,” Jerri is known for starting viral trends ranging from fashion statements to catchy phrases. His unique perspectives and behavior revolutionizes the ways the public perceives idols and influences those around him to be more adventurous.
"I'm treating this as a 10-day sleepover with Kara and the others so I won't be tempted to walk all the way home. This better be fun!"

[ Zene Moon ]
Idol/Actor
Personality: Modest, Reserved, Kind, Level-headed, Loyal, Mature, Knowledgeable
Hobbies: Singing, Acting, Hiking, Camping, Appreciating Artwork, Cooking
Background: Zene is the heartthrob member of the boy band, The Flight, and is known for his maturity and intense stage presence. He is one of the leading idol-actors in the industry and comes from a family of considerable influence. His down-to-earth, kind, and calm personality puts others at ease, although he’s often an easy target for playful teasing from friends.
"I'm worried about neglecting my responsibilities for so long. However, if this is what my agency signed me up for, then I'll make the most of this experience."

[ Nate Roserenos ]
CEO/Fashion Designer/Model/Activist
Personality: Confident, Optimistic, Knowledgeable, Witty, Adventurous, Talkative
Hobbies: Designing, Traveling, Socializing, Campaigning, CEO-ing (haha)
Background: Nate is one of the youngest, most affluent CEOs in history and owns the eco-friendly fashion label, Nateural. His brand raises awareness for and campaigns for global issues, including environmental deterioration and animal cruelty. His genuine, upbeat, adventurous personality and dedication to his cause has lead to an increased level of advocacy in the masses.
"I'd usually be excited for this kinda thing, but I have a lot on my schedule! If it wasn't for Miss Kara's optimism, I'd probably be kissing this place goodbye and flying back home on a helicopter."

[ Vin Nadyatkhul ]
Musician/Composer/Producer
Personality: Compassionate, Gullible, Forgetful, Thoughtful, Humble, Patient
Hobbies: Playing music, Songwriting, Reading
Background: Vin is one of the few remaining “anonymous” celebrities in the entertainment industry. His name is in the credits of some of the most famous songs in the world, but few know what he looks like. He is currently working on an autobiographical novel and has promised curious fans that he will soon make his long-awaited, shocking reveal to the public for the very first time.
"I expected a larger setting for my big reveal, but I suppose this is fine, too. It's somewhat out of my comfort zone, but I'm excited to make new friends and spend quality time together with them."

Finished lineart of our precious boys, Jerri, Vin, and Nate! And who's that cute little guy peeking over Jerri's shoulder? Stay tuned to find out!

SETTING

June 2020 in western Kalroze (Original Setting)

Picture Perfect Reality Mansion: The luxurious two-story mansion (along with a rooftop lounge) that the five participants in the program will live in. It is located in the mountains with a nice view of the forest, along with the distant city.

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay will be relatively simple and follows a traditional VN and otome game format.
There is a common route (prologue + main chapter) with opportunities to raise the affection meters for all of the characters through choices.
Every choice has a unique dialogue and length, and you will only learn particular details about a character through certain choices.

FEATURES

[*] Customizable MC Name
[*] 4 Unique Routes, 12 Unique Endings (Bad, Normal, Good)
[*] Stories focused on character and relationship development
[*] Complex backstories
[*] Original Soundtracks! All completely original, including the theme song!
[*] 1-3 hours of gameplay per route
[*] 160,000+ words total (~37,000 words per route)

PROGRESS

Writing 40%
-----Common Route
---------Prologue 100%
---------Main Chapter 100%
-----Outlines
---------Jerri 100%
---------Zene 100%
---------Vin 100%
---------Nate 60%
-----Main Routes
---------Jerri 10%
---------Zene 100%
---------Vin 15%
---------Nate 0%
-----Endings
---------Jerri 0%
---------Zene 100%
---------Vin 0%
---------Nate 0%
Editing 40%
Programming 20%
Sprites 0%
CGs 0%
GUI 20%
BG Art 30%
Music 70%
SFX 70%
Video Trailer 0%

PROGRAMMING PREVIEW

TEAM

Writer, Director, Programmer (Renkka)
Character and Art Concepts, Director (Wes)
Character Artists ((Formerly) Lexki, Invierno)
Chibi Art (Red-Baby)
Proofreaders (Metatype, Crystalscm)
Editors (Twig, Lunaterra, Iron)
Composer (Jeff Penny)

QUESTIONS
  • What are your initial reactions to Picture Perfect Romance (PPR)?
  • Which character(s) caught your attention first and why?
  • What features/scenes would you like to see in the game?
  • What are your expectations for the game? What do you most look forward to seeing?
Of course, I also invite any comments/constructive feedback/suggestions. Thanks for checking this out! I will be updating this thread as more work is done on the game. :D
Last edited by renkka on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 30 times in total.

renkka
Regular
Projects: Picture Perfect Romance, Mizari Loves Company, SSWK, Angels with Broken Hearts

Re: Picture Perfect Romance [GxB] [Friendship, Romance, Comedy, FREE]

#2 Post by renkka » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Recruiting 1-2 proofreaders and an editor for this project.

Recruitment thread is posted here. Looking forward to hearing from you!

renkka
Regular

#3 Post by renkka » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 pm

[PROGRESS UPDATE 1/15/2018]
- Refining scripts for prologue, main route, and Jerri's route
- Started on Vin's first chapter
- Recruited BG Artist (andrewus)

[TEAM RECRUITMENT]
Are you looking to expand your portfolio/experience? I am recruiting multiple unpaid positions (composer, GUI artist, marketer, editor, etc). Please check the recruitment thread for more information or drop me a PM!

renkka
Regular

#4 Post by renkka » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm

[PROGRESS UPDATE 3/20/2018]
- Editing for Prologue and Main Route: 70% Complete!
- 4 Soundtracks completed!
- Additional progress made on character concepts, BG art, and scheduling. Still recruiting character artist, which could potentially set back the demo release date.
- Chibi art by the mega awesome Red-Baby! Aren't our characters so adorable?

renkka
Regular

#5 Post by renkka » Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm

[PROGRESS UPDATE 5/22/2018] - MAJOR UPDATE!
- Sketches + Linearts for Zene, Jerri, Nate, and Vin Sprites
- Edited up to Zene 04
- Self-Edited up to Jerri 04
- Main Theme Song Completed!
- Finished programming music for prologue
- Tons of character art (sprites, promotional graphics, fun sketches and doodles, more references)
- Detailed outlining for Vin (70%) ~5k words

[UPCOMING]
- Planning for video trailer (storyboard, sound effects)
- Begin designing GUI
- Social Media (Twitter, Tumblr)
- Completed Logo
- Team Name

[CHARACTER ART]
Below you will find previews of our character art, including doodles that were done just for fun and WIPs of more serious art.

Jerri's Sprite Preview! Isn't he handsome? :oops: Thanks to our character artist, Lexki, for always being so frequent with updates (and feeding us).

Quick colored sketch of our resident chatterbox, Jerri!

Colored sketch of Vin, the denim-loving bookworm. He spends his breaks at coffee shops because the fragrance of fresh-brewed coffee helps him relax and concentrate.

Another colored sketch of Vin, this time featuring our lovely protagonist, Kara!

One more preview for Vin, which is his WIP sprite!

Colored doodle of Kalroze's Mr. Worldwide, Nate Roserenos!

WIP sprite for Nate, which has recently been revised for improvements from this one.

For everyone who is curious about what Zene looks like, here is a colored sketch of him. Here is one of Kalroze's hottest up-and-coming actors!

Lexki is doing great with refining the sprites and constantly sharing exciting previews! Here's one of Zene!

Yulia/Wes has also created a somewhat scandalous concept art of the boys in chokers.

[PROGRAMMING PREVIEW]
Playing around with this free resource by Uncle Mugen!

[RECRUITMENT]
Looking for an additional editor and a GUI artist!

[PROJECTED RELEASE]
Sometime late July or early August, depending on how quickly we can finish the art assets. We are ahead of schedule in terms of music, programming, and editing, however, which is exciting!
Last edited by renkka on Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights
Projects: PotBR, DemiDato, HEROxTRIO
itch: red-baby

#6 Post by Red-Baby » Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 am

Loving the look of the new sprites =D
Glad to see an update ^w^ Keep it up Renkka!

renkka
Regular

#7 Post by renkka » Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Red-Baby wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 am
Loving the look of the new sprites =D
Glad to see an update ^w^ Keep it up Renkka!
Thanks, so glad to hear that. :) We'll work hard to bring a really polished demo in the next few months, so stay tuned for more updates!

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

#8 Post by DirkB » Sat May 26, 2018 5:30 am

renkka wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm
That is a great picture and I just checked out Uncle Mugen's page now for the first time. It's full of incredible art.

But what I am wondering about is ... how do you deal with the possibility that others might use the same picture in another novel?

I am making something entirely with pre-rendered environments that I buy in a store and it's my main concern that I think others might just use the same stuff as I do, which takes away from its originality. Maybe I am too concerned about this ... I don't know. I just like to hear your thoughts about this.

Good luck with your novel!

renkka
Regular

#9 Post by renkka » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

DirkB wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:30 am
renkka wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm
That is a great picture and I just checked out Uncle Mugen's page now for the first time. It's full of incredible art.

But what I am wondering about is ... how do you deal with the possibility that others might use the same picture in another novel?

I am making something entirely with pre-rendered environments that I buy in a store and it's my main concern that I think others might just use the same stuff as I do, which takes away from its originality. Maybe I am too concerned about this ... I don't know. I just like to hear your thoughts about this.

Good luck with your novel!
Hello! Our project actually has its own BG artist, but as many BGs still need to be completed, I used Uncle Mugen's BG as a placeholder of sorts.

With any art assets that are free resource or purchasable by anyone, the chance of someone else using it is high. However, I personally don't find it to be a huge issue unless what you are aiming for is complete originality: in that case, it would probably be in your best interest to commission a BG artist to develop those BGs for you.

In PPR's case, it would be in our project's best interest to use unique BGs, as our locations are completely original with unique components and roles in the story that wouldn't be found in just any BGs.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Best of luck with your project! Wishing you all the best!

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

#10 Post by DirkB » Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm

renkka wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm
With any art assets that are free resource or purchasable by anyone, the chance of someone else using it is high. However, I personally don't find it to be a huge issue unless what you are aiming for is complete originality: in that case, it would probably be in your best interest to commission a BG artist to develop those BGs for you.

In PPR's case, it would be in our project's best interest to use unique BGs, as our locations are completely original with unique components and roles in the story that wouldn't be found in just any BGs.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Best of luck with your project! Wishing you all the best!
Thanks a lot for the reply. I understand it better now. I would like to be completely original, but I am aiming for a first person immersive story inside 3D environments with multiple camera angles. Something like a tell tale game but without total freedom in walking around yourself. The lack of originality is the main drawback I see, but few people are making novels this way, so I might just be able to get away with it :D

raeurae
Projects: Times New Roman
Tumblr: raeurae
Deviantart: raeurae

#11 Post by raeurae » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Looks very interesting! I love the look of all of the characters; the different colors schemes of them all really catch my eye <3

Can't wait to see more!!

zene is already my favorite ahhh

renkka
Regular

#12 Post by renkka » Sun May 27, 2018 2:37 pm

raeurae wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm
Looks very interesting! I love the look of all of the characters; the different colors schemes of them all really catch my eye <3

Can't wait to see more!!

zene is already my favorite ahhh
Thanks so much for the lovely comment! Creating distinct characters (both in personality and appearance) was one of our goals, so it's so reassuring to hear that. :D

Zene seems to be a fan favorite already, just judging from his popularity among our team members too. We're excited to bring more updates soon! (And I promise you, more updates of Zene too. 8) )

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#13 Post by hyesunxoxo » Sun May 27, 2018 8:19 pm

What are your initial reactions to Picture Perfect Romance (PPR)?
I love the premise! I’ve always been a sucker for celebrity stories, so this one is definitely my cup of tea. Initially, I had the idea that this would be an amazing game, as I know more than ¼ of your production team! Red’s chibis are just amazing, Jeff Penny is a great composer and Yulia and Renkka from Reine Works are absolutely amazing people, as I’ve had the pleasure of working with Reine Works too and these guys produce remarkable visual novels. Looking forward to this!

Which character(s) caught your attention first and why?
Jerri and Zene caught my attention! I love both of their characters, but they seem to contrast each other which makes it even more interesting! I’d definitely go for Zene’s route first, I’m the otome player who always goes for the cool, suave type first. I also love the MC, I think we’re on the same boat when it comes to having strong heroines!

What features/scenes would you like to see in the game?
I’m not very particular with the gameplay, because good art and good story is always more than enough to satisfy me. I look forward to deeper relationships within the characters, because the spotlight can be devastating, and there’s always a backstory to everybody! I believe you guys are in good hands <3

What are your expectations for the game? What do you most look forward to seeing?
I’m looking forward to seeing conflict as well as unexpected events throughout the story! I love great character developments, and there’s not much VNs about the entertainment industry so I hope that this will bring a realistic take on the limelight, and that they’re just as much human as others.

Thoughts on the excerpts?
They seem really fun! Different personalities getting together always results into a beautiful chaos, I believe this will be the case for everybody in their first couple of days together.

This looks amazing, I regret not taking a look as soon as I could. Please keep going, I’ll be keeping tabs on this <3
ImageImageImage
Visual Novel Writer, Project Head and Otome Enthusiast | Hire me to write your stories! [Commissions]

renkka
Regular

Re: Picture Perfect Romance [GxB] [Friendship, Romance, Comedy, Celebrity, FREE]

#14 Post by renkka » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 am

[PROGRESS UPDATE 6/11/2018]
A bit of a small update, but an update nonetheless! I will be rewriting Jerri's route from scratch.
Our lovely and dedicated team of potato rangers will officially be called Crystal Compass!

- Finished Lineart for Jerri, Nate, and Vin Sprites
- Iron has completely edited Zene's route!
- Written up to Chapter 2 of Vin's Route
- Completed detailed outlines for Jerri and Vin
- Finished additional tracks and SFX
- Finished programming SFX for prologue

Say hello to Jerri, Vin, and Nate! Also, who is that we see peeking over Jerri's shoulder? I wonder who that little guy could be...?

[UPCOMING]
- Lineart for Kara, Zene
- Base Colors for Jerri, Nate, Vin
- Planning for video trailer (storyboard, sound effects)
- Begin designing GUI
- Social Media (Twitter, Tumblr)
- Completed Logo
- GUI Customization

[RECRUITMENT]
Looking for additional BG artists (can be line artist, colorist, or both), an editor, and a GUI artist (who will be working closely with me)! Please PM me if interested. We'd be happy to have you on our team!

[SHOUTOUT]
Lastly, I would like to do a shoutout section to highlight the hard work of some of PPR's team members! The members featured this time are...

Iron, who is the backbone of PPR and always brings so much energy, positivity, and amazing ideas to the team!
Invierno, who has given so much life to PPR and the tam by being so fun and just a great person overall.

We're so grateful for you two. Stay tuned next time for more team member shoutouts!