Once Upon an Irony [GxB, BxB, GxG] [Comedy] [Fantasy] **01/28/18 UPDATED**

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Tsukiyoro
Projects: Once Upon an Irony
Tumblr: tsukiyoro
itch: tsukiyoro

Once Upon an Irony [GxB, BxB, GxG] [Comedy] [Fantasy] **01/28/18 UPDATED**

#1 Post by Tsukiyoro »

Fairy Tales with a Twist!
Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess rumored to have slept for hundreds of years, awaiting patiently for her one true love to awaken her, except… She’s already awake?!
So much for the rumored ‘skin white as snow and hair black as ebony’. What ever happened to the “cute and naive” Little Red Riding Hood?
These fairy tales seems to be a bit different from how people might’ve remembered them…

~Info~
Once Upon an Irony is a three-part visual novel centering around popular fairy tales but told with a twist!
✧ The game features three protagonists; all who's story will be told in each part, or 'volume' of the game.
✦ Includes the stories of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood!

~Protagonists~
*Click the link on their name for a full image!
~Auros~
Pron: Uh-rose

"I'm asking you, why did you wake me up?"
The Protagonist of 'Sleeping Beauty' and also the first story in the game. A (constantly reminded) 17-year-old who suffers from severe insomnia.
A very laid-back person who often zones out too much, most likely just because of how exhausted they are. The type of person who doesn't have the energy to focus on the smaller things, such as their age or gender. Although carefree and rarely ever bothered, there are times when they get irritated for no reason at all. Probably due to their lack of sleep.
Has a sharp-tongue and comes off as rude sometimes, possibly due to the influence of Rufino.

~Katrine~
Pron: Cat-reen-neh

"I hope the animals are doing well today too! ♪"
The heroine of 'Snow White'; the second story in the game. A cheerful, outgoing (and possibly) 17-year-old girl who loves being outside.
A person who tries to stay upbeat and positive regardless of the situation. Sometimes she has her moments where she might be able to make a witty comeback, but the majority of the time she tends to come off as an airhead. She's awfully quirky and energetic which causes others to think of her as a weird person.
Has an allergy towards animals and often yells at them from far to greet them.

~Rufino~
Pron: ru-fee-no

"...Say one more thing about the coat and we're taking it outside."
The protagonist of 'Little Red Riding Hood'; The third and final story in the game. A sharp-tongued, yet friendly 19-year-old young man.
He cares for his friends even though he might often say something rude, but most likely he doesn't mean it and is just scolding the other person using his own methods. He has high understanding, shown to be very insightful and intuitive. He often has to play the role of the 'straight man', yet without noticing he also plays the role of the comic relief.
Surprisingly he has a delinquent side.

**UPDATE**

~Interests: Side SB~
*Click the link on their name for a full image!

~Luntian~
Pron: Loon-tee-ahn

“If you need anything, feel free to tell me, okay?”
A friendly and quiet person, he always cares for others and watches over them. He tends to get flustered easily when someone turns the topic to him and tries changing the subject.
Although he is a quiet person, he’s not exactly taciturn and will talk to the people he’s comfortable with.
Often has to stop the others from fighting.
Role: Green Fairy

~Azul~
Pron: Ah-sool

“Are you okay? You’re not running a fever because of your lack of sleep or anything, right?”
She’s fairly protective and calm. She doesn’t show much interest in things and she might look like she has a bad attitude, but in reality she’s very similar to a gentle mother. She tries her best to make sure nothing bad happens towards her loved ones.
She has a hobby of messing with Rubrum.
Role: Blue Fairy

~Rubrum~
Pron: Roob-ruhm

“Oh? You wanna try saying that again?”
A person that’s very quick to start fights. He has a bad attitude and seems to have a quick temper, but not many people are really intimidated by him and rather tend to tease him instead, which leads to him getting frustrated once again.
Although he’s a bit rude and occasionally mean, he doesn’t cause problems for people that don’t bother him.
He gets flustered easily when someone compliments him.
Role: Red Fairy

~Lilith~
Pron: Lihl-ith

“It just seemed unfair for a girl to be stuck in a castle unable to live as they please…”
A princess from a neighboring country who came to break the curse of ‘Sleeping Beauty’.
She’s a bit of a tomboy and tends to be very brave, showing little to almost no fear, because of this many people admire her. Very optimistic and doesn’t let things stand in her way. The one most confused by Auros’ gender.
The fraternal twin and older sister of Elliot.
Role: The Prince (1/2)

~Elliot~
Pron: El-lee-eht

“Hmm, so you can’t sleep… How’s that like?"
A prince from a neighboring country who was curious about the curse of ‘Sleeping Beauty’.
A refined young man who, unlike his sister, is not much of the out-going type and, if possible, would like to blend more into the background. A relaxing person that prefers staying lowkey. He tends to find any type of situation interesting.
The fraternal twin and younger brother of Lilith.
Role: The Prince (1/2)

--

~Extra~
✧ For wips, game process and updates, etc., please refer to the official page !
✦ On further note, for each protagonist there will be a total of 4-5 interest, each interest varying in gender. It might sound long, but each volume will be the length of an average (~20 hours) visual novel, so don't worry! There's also an interval between each release, so it gives plenty of time to enjoy at a steady pace!
✧ The game will also be free and in English!

~Short FAQ!~
Will the game be a comedic retelling of the stories or something a little darker?
✦ Actually!!! rather than a ‘retelling’, it’s more like a different version overall (but yes, comedy.)
✧ The main point is to take the most known part from the original one (i.e: Sleeping Beauty sleeping for a really long time, Snow White being targeted by the Evil Queen, and Red Riding Hood traveling through the woods for her grandmother), and twist it around to get a more ironic version of it– Or at least something a little different.

Will you be taking inspiration from the original stories or from their Disney stories?
✦ I’m actually taking inspiration from the original stories and their Disney stories! Since most people are more familiar with the Disney counterpart, I decided to at least model (some of) their appearance after those. But details within the story might include some aspects of the original stories.

Does Auros’ gender lean more towards nonbinary or a mystery?
✧ Auros would lean more towards ‘genderfluid’ actually! ‘He’, 'she’, and even 'they’ pronouns would all be OK when referencing Auros! The pronouns would all vary depending on how the players or even characters see them best.

✦ For more answered questions, please visit the full FAQ here!
As always, I would love to hear your question and thoughts!! Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Tsukiyoro on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nekobara
Regular

Re: Once Upon an Irony [GxB, BxB, GxG] [Comedy] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by nekobara »

I love the irony, so I'll definitely have to play this game when it's released.~
I would also like to add that all of the protagonists are pretty dang adorable.🌹
*meow*

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

#3 Post by Empish »

This looks awesome. I'll definitely be checking it out as you add more.

pigionsdeliver
Regular
Projects: SSWK, TWA, SDS: The Tail Makes the Fox
itch: pigionsdeliver

#4 Post by pigionsdeliver »

This seems really interesting. I am probably most excited about Sleeping Beauty since their description seemed to have included a lot more ironic aspects related to their story rather than just personality.
I am interested to know whether you will be going for a comedic retelling of the stories or something a little darker?
Also, will you be taking inspiration from the original stories or from their Disney stories? [I only ask since the designs seem to lean towards their Disney ver.]
Last question, [promise] how far in development is this project?

Tsukiyoro

#5 Post by Tsukiyoro »

pigionsdeliver wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 am This seems really interesting. I am probably most excited about Sleeping Beauty since their description seemed to have included a lot more ironic aspects related to their story rather than just personality.
I am interested to know whether you will be going for a comedic retelling of the stories or something a little darker?
Also, will you be taking inspiration from the original stories or from their Disney stories? [I only ask since the designs seem to lean towards their Disney ver.]
Last question, [promise] how far in development is this project?
Hello and thank you! I'm actually going for making all their stories rather ironic, but since Sleeping Beauty will be the first one in the series, I decided to focus more on that one :>.
- Overall, I'd say a comedic...version? Granted there'll be a difference since minor characters in the original will be made more important, most likely. But yes, it'll definitely lean more towards comedy and a more light-hearted feeling rather than dark.
- I'm actually taking inspiration from the original stories and their Disney stories! Since most people are more familiar with the Disney counterpart, I decided to at least model their appearance after those. But details within the story might include some aspects of the original stories.
- Uuhh I'm not good at coming up with things percentage-wise -laughs- but I'd say... Half-way? Though that's too vague. I have rough sketches down of all: CGs, BGs, other characters, and even the storyline, so honestly all that would be left is to color the sketches and put the story into an actual script format (and then encode it afterwards). So... Yeah, halfway -laughs-. I actually really like this idea myself so I really, really wanna finish it to a point where my mind is constantly just wandering off to think of ideas for this game and I can barely focus on anything else lmao, so I will try my hardest to actually finish this game!!! Please look forward :> !

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#6 Post by Dovahkitteh »

First off, I love the name! It's very flowing and cute.

I also like the concept of switched-around fairytales. It's something I've seen done before, but your take on it feels unique enough to be refreshing and interesting!

I'm curious about length; you say the volumes will be the "lengths of an average visual novel" but lengths tend to be pretty all over the place, so what does that mean in terms of word count?

Also, one thing:
Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess rumored to have slept for hundreds of years, awaiting patiently for her one true love to awaken her, except… She’s already awake?!
I know you're referencing the original Sleeping Beauty here, but because Auros' gender seems to be a mystery/nonbinary, this struck me as a bit confusing after I re-read it. XD

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Tsukiyoro

#7 Post by Tsukiyoro »

Dovahkitteh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 pm First off, I love the name! It's very flowing and cute.

I also like the concept of switched-around fairytales. It's something I've seen done before, but your take on it feels unique enough to be refreshing and interesting!

I'm curious about length; you say the volumes will be the "lengths of an average visual novel" but lengths tend to be pretty all over the place, so what does that mean in terms of word count?

Also, one thing:
I know you're referencing the original Sleeping Beauty here, but because Auros' gender seems to be a mystery/nonbinary, this struck me as a bit confusing after I re-read it. XD
Hello, and thank you very much~!
- Ah, I should probably specify that -laughs-, well, the overall length of an average visual novel would be around 20 hours maybe, so basically I'd say around 15~20 or so? Hmm, enough to possibly finish in a week or less (depending on how much a person plays it), if I make sense? (EDIT: I didn't realize you said in terms of word count aaaa unfortunately I'm not sure how to make word count = length, I'm sorry! Even if I say "2000" words, I'm unsure of how long that would actually be, forgive me...)
- Ahh I shoulda probably specified that too lmao. Auros would lean more towards 'genderfluid' actually! 'He', 'she', and even 'they' pronouns would all be OK when referencing Auros! The pronouns would all vary depending on how the players or even characters see them best. Though the quote was also used to reference the original Sleeping Beauty -laughs-

Tsukiyoro

Re: Once Upon an Irony [GxB, BxB, GxG] [Comedy] [Fantasy] **01/28/18 UPDATED**

#8 Post by Tsukiyoro »

Updated content!
- The interests for SB (Sleeping Beauty) added.
- Added some faqs + Link to the entire faq.
- Full image of the characters are now available when you click on the character's name.
- New illustration rather than just the logo!