Castaways [GxB] [Otome] [Adventure/Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sleepyferret

Castaways [GxB] [Otome] [Adventure/Romance]

#1 Post by Sleepyferret »

Hi LemmaSoft! This is my first game, and I'm really excited to share it with you all. It's called Castaways!

You play as Lily, a young, motivated woman who is leaving home for the first time to start a new career and life in Japan.

On the journey, though, something goes horribly wrong and the plane crashes. You and a small group of other people are marooned on an unknown tropical island.

Follow Lily and her fellow survivors as they work out how to help each other, face off the island's dangers and try to make it home. Maybe you'll even find love along the way with one of these other castaways...?

Meet The Guys

The game is purely just a visual novel, with fairly straightforward gameplay involving only reading and choices, no puzzles or character control. It will feature:

- 6 playable routes, 2 with different route paths
- 1 'secret' ending
- 21 unlockable CGs
- Beautiful backgrounds that shift from day to night
- 10 individual character sprites

This game is fairly unique, in that in each playthrough you will only have 4 out of the 6 available men on the island with you (selected by your choices early in the game), and the social nature of the situation that you find yourself in means they will all interact with each other as well as with you. Some of them are amiable and helpful, but others might not get along with each other (try putting Seth and Billy in the same group if you like to stir up trouble...).

When playing through over again for different routes, try out various combinations and see what new parts of their personalities you uncover!

The game is getting close to being finished, thanks to my wonderful team Jane_Runs_Fast, RuneRaccoon and Kherohi who are working hard on the amazing artwork, and the finishing touches being done by myself on writing, proofreading, and coding.

Writing: 95%
Proofreading: 95%
Backgrounds: 90%
Sprites: 70%
Music: 100%
CGs: 30%
Programming: 99%

Image Image Image

Stay tuned for updates, but we are currently expecting a release sometime around fall this year!

Thanks for reading and please post any comments or suggestions below - we would love to hear your feedback!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CastawaysGame
Itchio: https://sleepyferret.itch.io/castaways
Last edited by Sleepyferret on Fri May 04, 2018 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Castaways [GxB] [Otome] [Adventure/Romance]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This is a pretty cool idea. At first, the standard "crash land on a remote island and find love" thing didn't catch my attention, but your characters are pretty cool and I like the idea of choosing who crash lands with you at the beginning. That definitely seems like it would add some replayability.

Will the other characters, like Tracy and the twins, have sprites?

You mentioned that this is a kinetic novel, but it also says that there are routes and choices. I'm a little confused by this.

Sleepyferret

#3 Post by Sleepyferret »

Hi Zelan,

Thanks for the comment. I am glad that the replayability aspect appeals to you as this is what I was trying to aim for!

Yes, Tracy, the twins, and two other side characters have sprites in addition to the six men, though they are still currently in progress.

I apologise, perhaps kinetic novel is the wrong term - I meant there's no gameplay to it, no adventuring or puzzles or anything, just choices. I'll amend that as I can see how it would be confusing, thanks for pointing it out!

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#4 Post by Godline »

This looks adorable.

I've always been tempted to do something similar myself with the premise for the TV show Lost without it being enraging... or making me want to kick kittens (I obviously still have a lot of baggage from that TV show and it's horrible ending).

So far I can see me being partial to Billy and James. James' route seems like it'd be filled with the 'awww' factor.

I 100 percent support this!

Sleepyferret

#5 Post by Sleepyferret »

Hi Godline,

Thanks! Yeah, James's route is one of my personal favourites as well, I really enjoyed writing that one. Glad you are going to play it!

Can I also say how much I loved playing Kaitlyn in Chinaland, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable, thank you so much for your content!

LIZM
Regular

#6 Post by LIZM »

One of the most important things in otome settings to me is solid interaction among the cast (rather than just having a bunch of separate love interests) so I'm really looking forward to this! I'm not usually one to play multiple routes but I can see myself playing through this at least twice just to explore the character interaction possibilities. Followed your Twitter account to stay up to date :)

Sleepyferret

#7 Post by Sleepyferret »

Hi LIZM,

Thanks for the post! I'm glad you are looking forward to it.

There should be some more sprite updates soon on Twitter, so it's a good idea to stay tuned on there :)

Sleepyferret

#8 Post by Sleepyferret »

An slight update - we have now welcomed a new artist on board, RuneRaccoon, who will be in charge of the remaining backgrounds and sprite work. In addition, we look to be on track for a release date in September :) thanks to all for your interest in the game and I hope there will be more updates for you soon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zelan »

All of the images in the first post aren't showing up for me. This could be due to the image hosting site you're using - I've seen some other people having trouble with this as well.

That aside, it's great that you've got RuneRaccoon on board, I love her work. c: I'm glad you're still on schedule for your planned release!

Shiva_Production
Regular

#10 Post by Shiva_Production »

This looks amazing, <3

I hope the game turns out as you want it too ^^
I'm hella exited for this. :)

Sleepyferret

#11 Post by Sleepyferret »

Hi all!

Sorry for the extremely long wait on this project. We have been squirrelling away in the background and finally look ready to release this weekend!

Please keep an eye on the forum as I will be adding a download link to itch.io very shortly! :)

Thanks for the continued support and we very much hope you enjoy the game!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Zelan »

Really glad to see this project has still been worked on! Looking forward to the release. ^_^