Secrets of Avalon [Otome/Reverse Harem][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][GxB][Friendships][VN][Demo] - Patreon

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Suru
Regular

Secrets of Avalon [Otome/Reverse Harem][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][GxB][Friendships][VN][Demo] - Patreon

#1 Post by Suru »

Secrets of Avalon

Story:

Explore the Great Covenant of Avalon, a gathering of allied representatives on their home planet, as Dere Aislinn; a girl who lost her memory at the same place three years ago. Were your memory loss to be discovered it would be at great strain to your family. Without getting caught, uncover the mystery of your amnesia while navigating between politics and romance. Evade political, social, and sometimes physical dangers to regain what you’ve lost or choose to move beyond your forgotten history. Aid in the exploration of an ancient archaeological site while putting Avalon’s political stability at risk or help maintain the current status quo. While maybe along the way finding life-long friends or unexpected romance…

Characters:
Dere Aislinn – Our Protagonist. A half-elf whose very existence is frowned upon by members of the elven race. Guide Dere in her choices to survive the Covenant meeting friends to support her or push away allies and make it by herself.
Odryn Aislinn – Our Protagonist’s older half-brother. Unlike Dere, Odryn is a full elf. He is also a capable magic-user and rather clever in his own right. He has his own agendas at the Covenant that doesn’t include constantly babysitting his sister, but often feels he needs to. Powerful and calculating Odryn can come off as cold or even cruel but claims to have the best in mind for his sister.
Christian Van Daken – Crown Prince of Avalon. Christian holds to the ideal that he needs to be a regal Prince and always put forward that image. He is thoughtful and wants the best for his kingdom and citizens. He doesn’t always get along with his younger brother Anton, who could or could not be capable of making him break his Princely demeanor.
Anton Van Daken – Prince of Avalon. Younger brother to Christian. Anton is almost always up to no good. While Christian takes his position and image very seriously Anton doesn’t seem to care. He’s always sneaking off when he should be somewhere. It’s as if he is more comfortable in shadows than light.
Javion Raske – Genius Inventor and often jerk. Javion tends to assume he’s the smartest person in a room, and he’s not often wrong. He finds the whole Covenant to be a waste of his time but still forced to attend by his family. He’d much rather be working on his inventions. While his forced attendance could be the reason for his horrible attitude, it’s probably just his personality.
Casidra Wears – Alien anthropologist. Casidra is in attendance for the joint purpose of excavating nearby runes found on Avalon as well as to build more business relationships with people at the Covenant. She is a friendly, warm person – until you endanger her site.
Lana Soliss (“SOLL-iss”) – Lana is a dancer and not a part of the usual circles for the Covenant – she earned her spot through a scholarship program. She is generally unimpressed with anyone (but the Princes) and wants little to do with much of the covenant (except the Princes). She doesn’t seem to get along with most of the attendees and nor do many appear to like her. Nickname: Soul less – ‘granted’ by Javion.
Thaddeus Harcourt – One of the richest men in Avalon. Thaddeus is the head of a self-made business empire that began small and bloomed into one of the largest groups to trade with other planets. He is well-spoken and friendly.
No Current Photo
Davis Kenway – Captain of one of Avalon’s military ships and considered to be a war hero. He’s friendly and usually relaxed for a military member, but also an infamous womanizer.
No Current Photo
Alyth Edmonds – Granddaughter of a famous general. She takes her position very seriously and has a distaste of Davis’ carefree attitude.
No Current Photo
Bethany Raske – Bethany is an event planner for the Covenant and aids in keeping social interactions a common part of attendance. Javion’s aunt.
No Current Photo
Triskel – Elven teacher. He is a tutor for Christian and Anton. He is also the Covenant teacher for Avalonian History.
No Current Photo
Roison Conghaile – Roison is a summer elf from the Elven homeworld. She has a small history with Odryn and is at the Covenant at her family’s behest.
Sprite Artist: The very talented Jasmine Miranda. You can find her DA here: https://lightsilverstar.deviantart.com/

Current and Planned Features:

• Over 120,000 words of content and 225 choices and counting at end of current script
• Many genres and story lines to explore.
• Rated: PG-13
• Numerous Endings (Eventually there are at least 23 endings currently planned)
• 7 Romanceable Male NPCs (Six Open Romances, One Secret Romance)
• Friendship routes possible for male NPCs
• 3 BFF (Best Friend Forever) Female NPCs (Possibly romances based on kickstarter)
• MC Sprite
• Rivalries between Romanced Male NPCs.
• Kickstarter being planned to help improve current and planned features.

Needs for Game Development: (Currently Recognized Needs)

• Music
• Better GUI
• CG Artist (Would like at least 7 CG’s for the romanced characters and others as affordability allows)
• Play testers as the game’s coding continues.
• Proof reader (for any grammar related errors in the script).

Personal Description of Fate Maker Games:

I’m Suru (though I also often go by Aura and Ash in online forums), the founder of Fate Maker Games. I love crafting stories and worlds for people to learn about and explore and thought an interesting way in which to do so was through the virtual novel medium. This is Fate Maker Games first project, with many storyboards and notes for future games connected to this world.

Progress of Game:

Written: 7 days of 28
Programmed: 7 days of 28
GUI – Still needs upgrade
Character Art – Artwork finished on 10 characters (6 More Needed)
Background Art – Finished (would like more depending on kickstarter)
Approximate percentage of completion: 22%

Please consider becoming a patron of the game here: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=10360961

Questions for Forum Readers:

Does the game presented here interest you? (Why or why not?)
What was your first impression of the game?
What was your first impression of the characters?
Do you have a favorite character, or is there one you are already interested in? (Based on what?)
Any thoughts on the art style and feel of the game?
Any other comments, questions, or feedback?

Link to itch.io: (There are Mac, PC, and Linux builds available.)

https://suru.itch.io/secrets-of-avalon

Questions for Players of Demo:
Are there any suggestions as to the description of the characters or narrative that you feel could add to the game?
Are there any aspects that really interest you?
Are there any aspects that you feel detract from interest?
What was your impression of the demo overall?
Did this page present the demo well?
Did you find any glitches or bugs that need to be addressed?
Was the writing acceptable? Were there any strange moments in flow or awkward dialogue?
Were the transitions of expressions and rooms acceptable? Any strange moments?
What was your favorite part of the demo?
Would you desire or consider helping to fund a kick-starter in relation to this game?
Any other comments, questions, or feedback?
Last edited by Suru on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 17 times in total.

littlebrowneyedbambi

Re: Secrets of Avalon [Otome][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][BxG][Friendships][VN]

#2 Post by littlebrowneyedbambi »

This looks very interesting and seems very ambitious with all those characters. I like the protagonists brother the most so far. He just seems very stern but protective in a good way to me. And I'm intrigued by the possible political decissions you'll be able to make in the story.
I enjoy the art as well..
I just wanted to let you know that this would be considered GxB not the other way around and I would love to see some BG Art too :)

Suru
Regular

Re: Secrets of Avalon [Otome][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][BxG][Friendships][VN]

#3 Post by Suru »

littlebrowneyedbambi wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm This looks very interesting and seems very ambitious with all those characters. I like the protagonists brother the most so far. He just seems very stern but protective in a good way to me. And I'm intrigued by the possible political decissions you'll be able to make in the story.
I enjoy the art as well..
I just wanted to let you know that this would be considered GxB not the other way around and I would love to see some BG Art too :)
Thank you for letting me know. I've fixed the GxB label.

Suru
Regular

Re: Secrets of Avalon [Otome][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][GxB][Friendships][VN]

#4 Post by Suru »

Added links for an early stage demo.

Suru
Regular

Re: Secrets of Avalon [Otome][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][GxB][Friendships][VN][Demo]

#5 Post by Suru »

I have updated with a new smaller version of the demo. The size was previously too large for some people to reasonably download. This new file size should aid in those troubles, apologies to anyone that had that issue with the files.

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Secrets of Avalon [Otome][Fantasy/Sci-fi][Romance][Mystery][GxB][Friendships][VN][Demo]

#6 Post by Mikomi »

Nice concept! I do have a few questions, though:

1) Why are the sprite previews compressed badly? They're not crisp like the rest of the artist's works on their dA page- you guys should consider making new previews that aren't as pixellated, so as to show off the art at its full quality.

2) Why no Itch.io release for the demo? It'll bring more eyes on it, and people are more wary of downloaded zip files from a Drive account rather than from an Itch.io account.

Wish you guys the best of luck!

Suru
Regular

#7 Post by Suru »

Mikomi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm Nice concept! I do have a few questions, though:

1) Why are the sprite previews compressed badly? They're not crisp like the rest of the artist's works on their dA page- you guys should consider making new previews that aren't as pixellated, so as to show off the art at its full quality.

2) Why no Itch.io release for the demo? It'll bring more eyes on it, and people are more wary of downloaded zip files from a Drive account rather than from an Itch.io account.

Wish you guys the best of luck!
1. I will try and work on higher quality art examples when I have a moment. Thanks for the suggestion.

2. I am still working on setting up an itch.io account but I will link to that when I have it set up.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you'll play once we have a setup at itch.io!

Suru
Regular

#8 Post by Suru »

Added a link to itch.io for those that would prefer that system.

Suru
Regular

#9 Post by Suru »

We are excited to see some people following and others downloading or looking at our project as it is at current. We are loving feedback, (both here and in other places) and have plans to work on both the narrative in the demo as well as the resolution. At current we're working on improving the resolution so it'll look closer to this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j1JQL ... aCHOPIkXMG

There was a request to mention who the romanceable characters are. Other than the secret character I shall list them here:

- Odryn Aislinn

-Christian Van Daken

-Anton Van Daken

-Javion Raske

-Thaddeus Harcourt

-Davis Kenway

Thank you for your support and more updates will come as more of the game is developed.

Suru
Regular

#10 Post by Suru »

Demo is now nearly updated. We are only waiting on a more refined version of the title graphic. If this is not available by the end of the month, a new download will be made available by early May without it. (Photos have been updated to reflect the new definition already.)

Updates to look forward to: (Secrets of Avalon Demo Alpha7.0)

- Several spelling issues have been fixed.
- Lines have been shortened that were too long in sections.
- Many overlapping sprite errors have been fixed (all reported errors).
- All reported crashes have been fixed.
- An issue causing incorrect replies from Anton if you rat him out to Beth and Odryn has been fixed.
- An issue causing incorrect replies from Javion if you tell him 'Ew No' when he asks you out has also been fixed.
- A small set of issues causing the game to jump incorrectly after scenes during the final event have been fixed.
- Transitions have been added for day to day changes.

Other known missing aspects of the game such as sound and sprites only with Silhouettes are still in production and will be in future updates of the demo as they become available. Another update will be posted at the point when this new build is complete!

MasterOfDisguise

#11 Post by MasterOfDisguise »

I just finished playing the demo from itchio, I think I found some typos.
In Javion's dialogue, robotics was spelt 'robatics' and frivolous was spelt 'frivelous'
Got this error too, after the get together

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Scale' <'Image' u'SolissBase_Base_Green.png.'> 573 573 True>:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 4412, in script
    de "What are you doing?"
IOError: Couldn't find file 'SolissBase_Base_Green.png.'.

Suru
Regular

#12 Post by Suru »

Hello MasterOfDisguise,

Thank you for reporting problems. A new build will be put up in early May (hopefully May 1st) that fixes several of the spelling issues, as well as that bug. Please let me know if you find anything else as well as your opinions on the demo if you have the time.

Suru
Regular

#14 Post by Suru »

Wanted to note that work is continuing on the game. The demo hasn't been updated again quite yet but programming has been finished through the end of day 6 and day 7 has begun. Art for two new characters should be in by the end of May so once the artwork is in and the first week is completed there will be a new demo coming. We have started to also look for music and hope that some will also be able to be added into the next build.

CatyCats
Regular

#15 Post by CatyCats »

Glad to see that it's still going :p Can't wait to try the new demo then because this looks very interesting! :D