Monstrata Fracture [ANYxB] [Fantasy/Dark/Romance/Dramedy] [Demo Available] [FREE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Archeri
Projects: Nightglove Institute, Monstrata Fracture
Organization: Astralore Games
Tumblr: archerempyrean

Monstrata Fracture [ANYxB] [Fantasy/Dark/Romance/Dramedy] [Demo Available] [FREE]

#1 Post by Archeri »

Facebook : Tumblr : Twitter : Itch.io : Discord

I should have known something was up when the main campus burned down and I had to start attending school in a creepy haunted castle. As it turns out, the reputation is deserved - the place is full of monsters nobody else seems to be able to see.

It doesn't take long for them to notice me, either. But... not in the way you'd expect monsters to notice a human in their midst.

What do I do? Let an alkonost take me to tea? Or preserve the stability of the barrier between worlds? Even if the monster world is drawing me in, I can't help but feel like something about it is wrong. Broken.

And maybe I can fix it...

Monstrata Fracture was created as a demo last year during the Maximum Monster Month game jam. It's still in development, and we've decided to release it in pieces as we go, rather than developing and releasing it all at once. The word count for the demo is 15,000+, and we're hoping to roll out another 15k word update every couple months until the game is complete. It will remain a free game, with a small amount of non-plot-related DLC.

Currently, the game sports three romance options, a wide variety of character expressions, silhouettes for background characters, speaking and blinking animations, and a customizable side image for the protagonist.

Options for the protagonist include hair length, skin and accent color sliders, changeable name, and an assortment of pronoun options.

Aside from plot content, we're planning on adding more romance options, dialogue choices, and updating the look and feel of the game as we progress with development.

You can play the current build of the game on Itch.io

Sawyer (name changeable) is a bit of a dork. A little awkward, spends too much time on social media and Netflix, and really likes fancy coffee drinks. All in all, a pretty average human, except for that weird colored streak in their hair that they insist is natural.

Perched on top of the social ladder is Nikolai, an Alkonost with more money than morals. He'll generally only give you the time of day if you've got feathers, but occasionally he's taken an interest in more... unique acquaintances. They don't usually last. Hobbies include bullying and/or seducing creatures of inferior species, savage gossip, alcohol, and maintaining stellar grades in advanced courses.

Cailean is a Kelpie, and as such, he doesn't have much social standing. He hasn’t got many friends, because he’s shy and he doesn’t look important or wealthy... and because he often stops talking to people he’s gotten acquainted with. He mostly keeps to himself and tries to get good grades, hoping to get a career that will let him become well-off enough to not worry so much about things. He’s affectionate, and he’d like a relationship, but he has a hard time trusting other people.

Deka was raised from death by a lich in the 1500s. Now living free, they live and work in the university as a custodian, and take classes on the side. Being Created and also unable to speak, Deka is used to being ignored, and perhaps thinks that things are better that way. Despite that, they have a lot to say if someone is willing to listen.

We'll be using this thread to post progress updates of the game and gauge interest in the project, as well as receive critique. We're looking forward to anything you have to say about our project!

Feel free to leave blank any questions you don't feel like answering, any feedback helps!

1. What about this game would make you want to play it and why?
2. What about this game would make you not want to play it and why?
3. What do you think of the art style?
4. Which character is most interesting to you and why?
5. Which character is least interesting to you and why?
6. If we ran a Kickstarter to support development, would you consider contributing to it?
7. Do you have any questions or comments for us?

If you played the demo:
8. Was it what you expected based on the description?
9. Did any of your opinions about the game or characters change after you played it?
10. Did you have a favorite (or least favorite) moment?
11. Do you have any predictions for the plot or characters?

All screenshots are from the current build of the game, which is available on Itch.io

Facebook : Tumblr : Twitter : Itch.io : Discord
Last edited by Archeri on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magiriano

Re: Monstrata Fracture [ANYxB] [Fantasy/Dark/Romance/Dramedy] [Demo Available]

#2 Post by Magiriano »

"What?": Sexual content. And good illustrations and nice music (perhaps, also attractive voice acting).
Well, you put this question first, so the explanations go further. I always emphasize that visual novels are aimed at visual and sound accompaniment. If the creator sets an ideological goal to show the value of platonic relationships, then he can do it with an interactive book.
"Why?": Since this story has a videogame format, it requires elements that trigger a playful mood. The idea of changing the portrait of the protagonist is already good, although the variability is not that great. Diversity in expression and animation is also a virtue. But what is the basis of this game? An exciting story or romantic relationship? If the second, then the sexual content is a natural continuation. It can't be helped. :)

2. What about this game would make you not want to play it and why?
"What not?": Excessive strong similarity with humans in the nature of monster characters. The skeleton may have been a human being, so the human being is not alien to it. However, I was always puzzled by the question: why do we need to create vampires, elves, mythical creatures, deities and other creatures that are not humans if they are depicted exactly as humans?
In addition, absolutely everywhere I instantly dislike negative scenes and moods. I do not like violence, cruelty, aggression and bad endings. They make me very stressed. Very... Nevermind, words are not enough here.
"Why not?": Exotics always attracts by providing something unusual and rare. When a character behaves like a person, while being a mythical creature, then only his appearance is exotic. In this case, it is rather an impressive person, rather than a monster. I do not like things that are initially meaningless. By the way, violence, cruelty, aggression and bad endings are also meaningless.

3. What do you think of the art style?
The backgrounds are very pleasant, they conjure associations with impressionism.
As for the characters... Androgyny. Characters definitely look so that their gender is very difficult to determine unequivocally. There is nothing wrong with looking like this. There is nothing wrong with looking like a woman or a man. This is appropriate if the creator avoids the sexualization of the characters. But again we return to the beginning. With the idea that the appearance of people, graphics in games or smell from the mouth is not so important, we can go to extremes. That's why some players are looking for more masculine or feminine characters, regardless of sex. They have an internal reference point, which they follow. This applies to the main character, and to the characters with whom you can have a romantic relationship.

Deka. Unlike Kelpie, the Skeleton has a minimum of sexually attractive features. Of course, it can also be found very attractive, but with certain conventions. Well, I'm not against the various fetishes of people - it's nice in its own way. Cailean, a Kelpy, is also attractive because I want to become his friend, I want to give some support. He is described as a character who is half a step away from trouble.

5. Which character is least interesting to you and why?
Nikolai, an Alkonost. Bully. This is enough. Once again. I do not like violence, cruelty, aggression and bad endings.

The rest of the questions can not be answered due to circumstances.

nekobara
Regular

#3 Post by nekobara »

I don't want to comment without answering the questions, but that's exactly what I'm going to do. My apologies.

I can't get over how cute Deka is. After playing the demo, I just want to be able to hold the hand of the most adorable skeleton on the planet like the MC did.♡
*meow*

Archeri

#4 Post by Archeri »

Hi Magiriano! I'm glad you like the art style, and that you're interested in Deka. I'm also glad you want to befriend Cailean, I'm sure he would enjoy your friendship and support. :D
Magiriano wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm I was always puzzled by the question: why do we need to create vampires, elves, mythical creatures, deities and other creatures that are not humans if they are depicted exactly as humans?
The basis of the story is that monster people are living in the same kind of world as us, and then we go into what their differing capabilities would have changed in society. For one example, a kelpie in this universe can turn into a more horselike form, allowing them to take on work that we may only give to animals in human society - and a skeleton, being raised by a lich, has often had many years of a second life after their death. It is my hope that including many details like this will give more life to a world inhabited by monsters. c:
Magiriano wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm I instantly dislike negative scenes and moods. I do not like violence, cruelty, aggression and bad endings.
The game does contain several very stressful subjects. However, all of the subjects are listed on the itch.io download page (even ones that are not in the first chapter, but will be in the full game) so that people who are stressed out by those things can decide whether they still want to play. We're also willing to talk through any concerns anyone has, to see if the game or certain routes of it are right for them.

If the content warnings do end up making you uninterested in this game, we still really appreciate the feedback you've already given us!
nekobara wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:29 pm I don't want to comment without answering the questions, but that's exactly what I'm going to do. My apologies.

I can't get over how cute Deka is. After playing the demo, I just want to be able to hold the hand of the most adorable skeleton on the planet like the MC did.♡
You have nothing to apologize for, nekobara! Thank you for your lovely comment and for playing the demo!! I'm so delighted that you like Deka so much~ ♡ If you feel like answering any of the questions later, feel free to come back and let us know what you think! Either way, thank you! c:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

I remember seeing this as an entry to Maximum Monster Jam, I'm glad it's still being worked on. c:

1. What about this game would make you want to play it and why?: Protagonist customization is always a plus, and I love fantasy as well.
2. What about this game would make you not want to play it and why?: Nothing that I can see.
3. What do you think of the art style?: I love it! I remember it from Nightglove Institute and I've always thought it was cool.
4. Which character is most interesting to you and why?: Definitely Deka. I can see their route being really interesting given the fact that they were raised from the dead.
5. Which character is least interesting to you and why?: I like all of them, so I guess it's a tie between Nikolai and Cailean, since Deka is on top.
6. If we ran a Kickstarter to support development, would you consider contributing to it?: I would! I'm not always able to do so, but if so I would definitely contribute.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philip »

@Archeri-

Saw this and almost didn't download it, as I wasn't sure that I would be interested in it. Went ahead anyway . . . and BOY! . . . was I wrong!! This is a really interesting story; the art is marvelous. Saved at all the choice points, and played through all of them. I can hardly wait for the next update!

A great job!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Archeri

#7 Post by Archeri »

@Zelan

I'm flattered you remember us!! Not just with this game, but also with Nightglove! (Which is still in the works, just on hiatus while we finish this)

Your comment is really lovely and I'm glad you're interested in seeing more about Deka and their route! And tat you didn't even have a least favorite character, wow!! Thank you so much for your support. c:

@philip

I love this kind of comment, it's so cool when someone ends up liking something you made when they thought they wouldn't. What about it do you think made you believe you wouldn't like it? c:

And you even played through all of the branches!! I'm impressed!! I hope you'll continue to enjoy it as we continue updating it. c: Did you have a favorite moment or character?

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Monstrata Fracture [ANYxB] [Fantasy/Dark/Romance/Dramedy] [Demo Available] [FREE]

#8 Post by philip »

Hi Archeri-

Don't know why I though that I wouldn't like this; it was just a thought I had when I first came across it. I have long ago learned that first impressions are sometimes not correct, so that's why I downloaded and played it . . . . and I'm glad that I did!

My favorite character is Elsie . . . she's very cute!

Have marked this thread and will anxiously await the next update.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Yuki Tsubasa

Re: Monstrata Fracture [ANYxB] [Fantasy/Dark/Romance/Dramedy] [Demo Available] [FREE]

#9 Post by Yuki Tsubasa »

Monster boys & girls. I love monster dating sims. We absolutely need more monster dating sims! The world building is pretty solid and I like how you employed how race works in this world, with the player character being the "othered" one rather than the monsters. I also love how you made available player customization. In these sorta things, every little bit of customization - even just changing hair color and length - makes the game more immersive for me. The hair streak color change in particular is a very clever way to add customization without spending a huge amount of time on creating different assets.

2. What do you think of the art style?
Love the painted style impressionist backgrounds, adds to the atmosphere. The sound track also adds to the experience, I love the one that has a sort of vocal choir to the track. The characters themselves are well drawn, though I wish we could have full portraits of the extra (blacked-out) characters as well.

Nikolai, he's a bit of an asshole but that's ok, it makes him interesting. Also I think he's got the best design out of all the characters.

6. If we ran a Kickstarter to support development, would you consider contributing to it?
I'll support anything monster people related! XD Go for it!

Archeri

#10 Post by Archeri »

@philip
I'm glad you found Elsie very cute!! There's some more content in the game now-- I'll update the thread with a rundown when I have a bit more time. Thanks for keeping us on your radar!!

@Yuki Tsubasa
Thank you so much!! I'm glad you liked the character customizer and found it made the game more immersive!! <3 All your comments about the art and music are so sweet, thank you <3 We're hoping to upgrade the silhouette characters in the future, it's definitely something we'd like to do!! Thank you so much for supporting us!! <3

PS. Nikolai is my favorite too ahaha. <3