Royal Alchemist [Player x B][Fantasy Court Stats Raising] Full Game RELEASED!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Demetis
Regular

Royal Alchemist [Player x B][Fantasy Court Stats Raising] Full Game RELEASED!

#1 Post by Demetis »

Tumblr | Twitter | Itch.io | Kickstarter | PATREON

Fantasy | Royal Court | Stats Raising

Royal Alchemist is a stats-raising Otome | BL RPG in a high-fantasy royal court setting.

Keep the main characters alive through the story while improving their skills and craft various items, fulfill quests and advance the country’s development.

The King was murdered.
The assassins have not been found. And the threat of rebellion hangs over the land.

With the succession thrown open and none of the three Royal Princes ready to take the throne, the King’s brother has assumed the Regency.

Hoping to protect the nation and its people and help the rightful heir to the throne, the Regent has sought the help from the High Council, a neutral and influential faction of powerful magicians. The delegate it has sent, however, isn’t someone the Eskian aristocracy prefers, for more reasons than it seems.

You are the scion of the ancient Rosenkreuz family, the High Council’s delegate and newly appointed Tutor to the Royal Princes. Can you navigate the maze of Eskian politics and guide the princes on the path of power? Or will you succumb to the murky intrigues of the court, and the ever-present danger of assassins?

♦ Male or female protagonist with custom pronoun
♦ 3 dateable characters
♦ 2 stats raising systems
♦ Time management & quest system
♦ 8 Endings
♦ ...and many deaths

Demetis - Programming, Management, Compostion & Coloring
Agashi - Story Consultant
Fuyuure - Art
adirosa - Art (Coloring & Items)
alfdale - Writing
potouto - Logo & UI
Coming soon...

This project is highly inspired by survival stats raiser such as Long Live The Queen or Princess Maker >w< Which means you will have to raise yours and your bachelor's stats and keep them alive! (Or try to, anyhow xD)
It's been lurking in the background for a while, and it's the first VN I was able to work on with other people!

Every feedback / suggestion will be really appreciated! >w< Otherwise here are a few questions for the demo! :D

1. How did you feel about the characters? Interesting? Likeable? Annoying? xD
2. Which character did you like the most? ;)
3. Was the difficulty alright? Did you die at the end of the demo?
4. Anything you expect, plot-wise and gameplay-wise?
5. Any other comments / questions? Let me know >w<b
Last edited by Demetis on Mon May 04, 2020 4:38 am, edited 19 times in total.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: Royal Alchemist [GxB][BxB][Fantasy Court Stats Raising]

#2 Post by AntiquedFae »

Yay, you posted it! So exciting!

Everyone looks so good! I actually probably like the main character best appearance-wise, which is not at all a bad problem to have. It's important to love yourself. ;)

I'm very curious to see how this develops (even though I would probably die way too many times to enjoy playing it...) because it is just such a cool and in-depth game!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Swadian

#3 Post by Swadian »

I usually have a slight distaste for otome, since I can't really immerse myself as a female and I'm really not into BxB.
That being said, this looks absolutely amazing.
1. The story has the potential to be great (for me the politics seems to be the most interesting). I really like the art, it's absolutely amazing. As for the game type, I just hope it won't become a chore. Generally, VN's that try to implement gameplay tend to make it a mindless grind with artificially high difficulty. Hope this will manage to make it fun and engaging.
2. I'm rooting for prince III. I and II seem to be a little cliche, but that doesn't make it impossible to make them great characters.
3. I'm pretty sure a story-only mode would pretty much remove all the guts from the game. That being said, refer to my previous point on the difficulty.
Having a passion in anime is a great way to make friends.
For me it's the other way around. Getting friends came with the added clause of having to become an anime fan. Still not sure if it was worth it. :wink:

salamandra88art
Regular

#4 Post by salamandra88art »

I really like the main character. I especially liked that the characters of both sexes have a similar appearance and the same name. They seem to be from an alternative reality))

Demetis
Regular

#5 Post by Demetis »

@AntiquedFae: I'm glad you like Alexis! >w<
Do not worry \o/ I'm very sure you will make it through...well at least through the demo :P But even in the full game, I'll make sure to makes the easiest difficulty not too challenging >w<! pssh content has been added since the last time you saw it

@Swadian: "I'm pretty sure a story-only mode would pretty much remove all the guts from the game" <- Yep xD Exactly the reason why I couldn't find any way to make a story mode. But I absolutely understand your point about grindy gameplay in VNs! O__O I want to try my best to balance the gameplay well and makes it feel like it belongs there >w<\
Ahhh I really would have liked to make it All Romance so there's a bit for everyone but someone whacked me on the head and told me not to overscope xD

@salamandra88art: Thank you so much! Yes, they are purposely so designed that it wouldn't make a difference no matter which gender you choose >w<\ I'm glad it's well received!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#6 Post by AntiquedFae »

Demetis wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 pm @AntiquedFae: I'm glad you like Alexis! >w<
Do not worry \o/ I'm very sure you will make it through...well at least through the demo :P But even in the full game, I'll make sure to makes the easiest difficulty not too challenging >w<! pssh content has been added since the last time you saw it
Oooh, exciting! Hooray for different difficulty levels!
New content yay! :D
You can call me Fae!

Demetis
Regular

#7 Post by Demetis »

Starting to introduce the side cast >w<\ First off: the manservants (Nope, you can't date them :P Not saying you won't be able to reach endings with them though...)

Also an approximate progress update for the demo.
Writing: 100%
Quests: 50%
Sprites: 90%
CGs: 50%
Programming: 80%
Screen Editing: 10%
Audio: 70%

Demetis
Regular

#8 Post by Demetis »

Another quick update!

Introducing Alexis' maid servant and homunculus :) (And in the demo, the only female character in this male dominant court xD') But strong enough to kick everyone in the shin o.ov

Also, some information about the Kingdom of Eskia!

Only twenty years ago, Eskia had been a land mired in anarchy, suffering from the depredations of bandits, pirates and robber knights. One day, a mysterious man appears, and, like a legendary hero of yore, unifies Eskia into a kingdom. His rule fostered peace and stability; in no time at all the towns boomed and the countryside prospered, as merchants, craftsmen and peasants settled into the kingdom.
After the King's assassination, his brother took over as the Regent of Eskia for his three sons, who have not yet come of age to assume to crown. Eskia's three main provinces were divided between these Princes:

Fostrax: The capital, to Prince Serin
Spelor: The village, to Prince Nazir
Zelflos: The mining town, to Prince Aurelius

Under Alexis's tutelage, will the princes be able to make their realm continue to flourish? Or will the machinations of the court plunge the country once more into chaos?

(aka fulfill missions in the game to build up the kingdom :P )

Adia

#9 Post by Adia »

1. Any first impression? Story, art, game type etc.?
Looks like an intriguing plot, and the art is really pretty so far.

2. How do the bachelors seem to you? Anyone you are interested in? Anyone you think is boring?
They seem okay. Depending on how strong the writing is - at the moment without a demo all you can see is their tropes (nice one; flirty one; moody one) and they look like their tropes as well. Based on that, it is the demo that will really show if they are more than that and actually interesting.

3. Due to the game type, there won't be a story-only mode! Of course, a difficulty setting will be implemented on the full release. Would that be a turn off for you? Nope, I'd love it. Makes it a bit more interesting than the usual otome VN games. It may depend how tedious the stat-raising is for players. Stat rasing can be a real pain.

4. Any other comments / questions? Let me know
Can we change the MCs name? And I am intrigued by an 18 year old being a tutor? I know you have said that the family are, levelheaded and there are reasons for this. But...it does seem a bit weird. Again, it will depend on the writing how that works.

Demetis
Regular

#10 Post by Demetis »

@ Adia: Thank you very much for the review! I'm glad the premise sounds intriguing to you >w<b And I surely hope the writing will keep it that way too //slapped
As for the question: Yes, it's possible to change the MC's name! :D

As for the update for this week, introducing the last two side characters that will appear in the demo!

With this, the crew is complete!
Meanwhile, scripting work and placeholder CGs are progressing steadily! Screen editing only about 20% done, but trying to push as fast as possible >w<\ (It's a lot of work though, hats off to screen editors out there!)
The first sneakpeeks will come up soon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

1. Any first impression? Story, art, game type etc.?: This looks great! I've been curious about this game ever since I saw the logo in potouto's GUI thread, so it's great to finally see it!
2. How do the bachelors seem to you? Anyone you are interested in? Anyone you think is boring?: I'm really interested in Aurelius. The fact that he's rumored not to be related to the King probably makes for some fun dynamics between him and his brothers. Plus, I think it's cool that he's a renowned tactician.
3. Due to the game type, there won't be a story-only mode! Of course, a difficulty setting will be implemented on the full release. Would that be a turn off for you?: Nope! I like VNs with gameplay. :D
4. Any other comments / questions? Let me know >w<b: Alexis reminds me a lot of Robin from Fire Emblem, haha.

Demetis
Regular

#12 Post by Demetis »

@ Zelan: Thank you very much for the review! I'm very happy you've taken interest in Aurelius since I personally would go for him too not biased xD
I never noticed about Robin lol but I guess the male MC has a lot of resemblance XD all those white haired characters <3

Making steady progress on the screen editing! I personally like (the good route of) this scene!
Also the first glimpse of our UI by potouto :D

The next weeks will be filled with more screen editing! I'm not even half through yet OTL
On the side, more UI will be finished!
But for the next weeks, I will pinch in updates with information about the gameplay!

Demetis
Regular

#13 Post by Demetis »

Finally, the whole script for the demo has been implemented!
Statistics:

The game contains 2,566 dialogue blocks, containing 33,907 words and 186,898
characters, for an average of 13.2 words and 73 characters per block.
Actually, 6 quests with ~400 words each are still missing but xD That's a thing for when I touch the quests.

A few more screenshots of Aurelius on one of his good days, and Nazir up to his night time mischiefs :3

The plan for the next week:
+ UI: Since potouto has finally finished the UI design, all other screens can be implemented now! I might actually need to get help with that because time restraints OTL
+ Screen Editing: Finishing the screen editing with more transitions etc. Also, adding Shadow Sprites...I have the feeling screen editing will take at least two more weeks...

While editing everything, I am wondering if people prefer getting notifications if they have failed a Stats Check? I normally do...
Of course it would also be an option to add that as a Config setting, although that will definitely take some more work XD'

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#14 Post by AntiquedFae »

I like getting notified when I've failed a stats check, since if you don't know what and where you failed at it is mighty hard to pass it. Just as long as the notification is not something crazy obnoxious like a 'BEEEEEP' noise, I definitely think notifying players of why they failed is a good idea.
You can call me Fae!

Demetis
Regular

#15 Post by Demetis »

@ AntiquedFae: Alright! Thank you very much >w<\ It seems like the majority would like notifications or a config setting XD Took a bit more work but implemented it!

Also, since potouto finished designing all screens, I took the time to implement all the basic ones! As for the others, I'll have to asset flip them sometime this week >w<\ Here's a preview (with the very WIP title screen too xD)