It Ends With Graduation [BxG] [RenPy Tribute VN] [Free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

It Ends With Graduation [BxG] [RenPy Tribute VN] [Free]

#1 Post by Empish »

Clarkson Mound High School is built on an old Adena Native American mound in the small town of Isnay, Ohio. A few years ago, a large Silicon Valley company decided to build a logistics center there, and has invested heavily in the area. Among other places in town, they've bought out the high school, and it, along with the mound, will be demolished at the end of the current school year, to make room for a large parking garage for employees.

The only problem? The Mound is the only thing keeping the Earth from being destroyed. And no one knows, except for one local senior, named Darren (Ren) Bay. He carries Iroquois blood in him, and is contacted by the Great Snake Spirit, Onyarekowa, to warn him of the impending danger. Ren has one year to spend either trying to save humanity or making peace with his doom. He'll soon discover that both Heaven and Hell have their fingers in the pie, through angel representative Eileen and demonic representative Lucy.

It Ends With Graduation will be a calendar-event-driven Visual Novel following Earth's last school-year, where you can choose which events to attend and which to skip. But be warned, the choices you make will influence what events are available later as well as the eventual ending. What would you do if you were the only human who knew the world was going to be destroyed?

Features:

Price: Free, both for the demo and the full game
Romance: Yes
Love Interests: 2
Mythology: Native American, Judaeo-Christian
Length: Colossal
Language: English
Genres: Supernatural, Slice of Life, Psychological
Endings: TBD, but very many; there are at least 5 main paths each with multiple endings possible
Rating: 16+ for language, disturbing themes
Custom OST
Unique Calendar Event System

Progress (Demo):

Script: 100%
Sprite Art: ~60%
Background Art: ~20%
GUI: ~50%
Music: 0%
Engine Coding: 100%
Asset Coding: 30%
Voice Acting: ~90%

Team:

Inspiration & Concept: PyTom, Taleweaver
Programming: Empish
Writing: Taleweaver, Empish, Giazg
Sprite Art: Mikomi Kisomi
BG Art: Chiharu-J
GUI Art: An Awesome Anonymous Artist
Music: Chris Thurman
Voice Acting (in no particular order): Chris Thurman, Jenni Scott, Brittany Ann Phillips, CeeCeeVA, Kevin Thelwell, Melody Muzljakovich, Chazz Ravenelle, Quice Straughter, Trina, Star, Lucas Webley, Scott Cochran, Matt Kriner, Myles Marrero, and I hope I didn't forget anyone o_o;

Main Characters:
ren-full-smile-sm.png
Darren (Ren) Bay
Voiced By: Chris Thurman
Height: 5'11"

In terms of personality, Ren is a practical optimist. He believes in the Greater Good (though he has no trust in politics whatsoever) and in working for a cause, and right off the bat, he is willing to put an effort into for his future. He likes active people, and he admires competence. There's not really much he despises; he has more than a little empathy for people who feel like giving up (if it's for a reason) or who may have already given up if it is due to experiences he can relate too. However, outright laziness or an entirely carefree attitude don't connect much with him. He can tolerate these people, but he doesn't like them much.

eileen-full-smile-sm.png
Eileen Kerry
Voiced By: Jenni Scott
Height: 5'9"

Eileen Kerry, 17, 5'9" with a slender, athletic build. She transfers to Clarkson Mound High for her senior year. She was born and raised in Boston, MA, and she has that "Irish Rose" vibe to her. Eileen loves sports and working out (and quickly joins the cheerleaders after transferring to the school), and her favorite school subject (aside from P.E.) is social studies. She's a generally good student, though she has a bit of trouble with mathematics. Outgoing and friendly, Eileen is usually the life of every party and has a knack for cheering people up, even appearing to be a bit of a chatterbox. She loves singing and is able to play the Celtic harp, though she rarely does that.

Or at least, that is how she appears.

lucy-full-smile-sm.png
Lucy Vanderford
Voiced By: Melody Muzljakovich
Height: 5'6"

Lucy Vanderford, 17, 5'6", with a soft, feminine build. She transfers to Clarkson Mound High for her senior year. Born and raised in Cleveland, she appears to be a very cultured, educated young woman, and her voice and choice of words reflect that. She is not shy but introverted, maybe reserved, and she usually remains quiet, choosing only to speak when she has something relevant to contribute. She's not very physically fit but an excellent student in every other respect, especially in sciences and math. As a hobby, she likes solving puzzles and riddles (though there are very few she doesn't already know), and she loves reading historical fiction, often finding them to be hilariously funny (even if they aren't).

Or at least, that's how she appears.

[Art upcoming]
Onyarekowa (Aka Pypy)
Voiced By: Quice Straughter
Height: 60'

Onyarekowa, or the Great Snake, is one of the forces of nature feared and revered by the Iroquois. It represents the unpredictability and cruelty of nature, especially of open waters. To humans, it appears as a sixty-foot-long milksnake with a single horn shaped like a thorn on its forehead. (Ren confuses it with a python, which annoys the Great Snake since it doesn't even know what a python is.)

Questions:

What are your thoughts on the premise? Does it sound interesting to you?
What sort of things would you expect to be incorporated in a tribute visual novel?
Who is Best Girl?
What would you do if you were in Ren's shoes?
Last edited by Empish on Fri May 04, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empish
Veteran

Re: It Ends With Graduation [BxG] [RenPy Tribute VN] [Free]

#2 Post by Empish »

Here's another character~

geoff-full-smile-sm.png
Geoffrey Clarkson
Voiced By: Kevin Thelwell
Height: 5'10"

Next-door neighbor and best friend to Ren. They bonded over a love of model planes while young, and remain close even though Ren’s interests have shifted. Geoff is supposedly a direct male descendant of the original Clarkson, and in addition to planes, he has an interest in conspiracy theories. His pet theory is that his “GreatxOneMillion” grandfather actually discovered evidence that the Adena people were really an alien civilization that used to live in Ohio in ancient times, but it’s hard to tell if he actually seriously buys into that or is just messing with people. If you were to ask Ren who might actually believe him about Pypy’s existence and prophecy, Geoff would come up number one on the list.

Empish
Veteran

#3 Post by Empish »

She doesn't appear in the demo but is an important part of the overall story!
amelia-full-smile-sm.png
Amelia (Amy) Beddington
Voiced By: Brittany Ann Phillips
Height: 5'4"

Tomboy and long-time friend of Ren’s. Catcher for the softball team, the Lady Builders. Has a crush on him and tried to make a move after he broke up with Liz, but was too early, and now things are awkward between them. She still likes him but is starting to give up on him and distances herself more over time as the MC grows closer to Eileen and/or Lucy.

Empish
Veteran

#4 Post by Empish »

One of the teachers at Clarkson Mound High!
dellart-full-talk-sm.png
Kyle Dellart
Voiced By: Chazz Ravenelle
Height: 5'6"

Ren's history and social studies teacher - short, thin, balding and with a frown that seems to be eternally etched into his face. He's the classic case of a teacher that has given up hope he will ever have a positive effect on the people he teaches. If he was ever passionate about anything he does, he has lost that passion ever since the decision to close Clarkson Mound High was made public and he was not on the list of teachers to find follow-up employment at Jorgensen High. He only seems to exist to pour his nihilism and pessimism over his students and to make everybody miserable. If there was only a way to make him feel as though he matters anymore…

Empish
Veteran

#5 Post by Empish »

Today, I have a pretty background done by Chiharu-J to show you that has been hastily watermarked!
School_gym-wm.jpg
This is the gym where the school's opening ceremony takes place.

Empish
Veteran

#6 Post by Empish »

Here's something a little different today! Chris has finished our first track, which is a mellow guitar solo song to subtly help keep you awake and engaged when the exciting action sequences are not happening. :P

Here is a short excerpt from it!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13-XVb ... n0QQyP7J7d

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#7 Post by hyesunxoxo »

What are your thoughts on the premise? Does it sound interesting to you?
The premise is really interesting! I love how you guys gave life to Eileen and the rest of the characters in a somewhat unexpected world. I'm really curious to see how the choices affect the endings, can't wait to try the demo for this!

What sort of things would you expect to be incorporated in a tribute visual novel?
Hmm... for a RenPy Tribute Visual Novel, I expect this game to show us everything that the renpy engine can do and so much more! I think the game is also a great outlet to educate more people about Native American and Judaeo-Christian mythology, and mixing supernatural + slice of life together is interesting in itself. I wish to see that emphasized and brought to life throughout the whole game! And well, it's already got Eileen so what else can we ask for? <3

Who is Best Girl?
Personally, best girl for me is Amelia (Amy) xD I always have my eyes on the boyish ones, regardless of them having a custom route or not. Although between Lucy and Eileen, I'm always on Eileen's side :D Her harp skills are a huge bonus for me!

What would you do if you were in Ren's shoes?
I'll probably spend Earth's last school year trying to save the world (and getting the girl) because to be frank, who doesn't want to save the world when they're the only ones who can?

I wrote this is a hurry, but I'm looking forward to what this amazing team can produce! Keep going!
ImageImageImage
Visual Novel Writer, Project Head and Otome Enthusiast | Hire me to write your stories! [Commissions]

Empish
Veteran

#8 Post by Empish »

Hey Hyesun, I'm glad you're interested in this! We'll be getting the demo out to you as soon as we can!

Haha, everything Ren'Py can do? Guess I better plan on making some minigames. xD But yes, I definitely want to give some visibility to Native American culture, and we've already done quite a bit of research on it.

Amy is going to be such a great character. She won't be having her route as a romance with Ren, but helping her move on from her crush is an important part of the story and will be treated as such, so I'm glad she's getting some attention.

Also, although it is possible to save the world, in the vast majority of the routes you won't be doing so. Ren is flat-out told that he can't do jack squat to save Earth, and so he will have to struggle with feelings of helplessness if he wants to try anyway.

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#9 Post by hyesunxoxo »

I'm looking forward to the demo!

And oooh, minigames! I'm sure you guys will do a great job at it, and the whole game in general! Can't wait ^^ I'm glad to hear that Amy will have a huge role in Ren's life too. Hmmm... I see. That makes it more interesting, I guess? I wonder how the "save the world" ending will play out if that is the case. I'll definitely explore all the endings when the whole game is out though, so it's great to know that there are a lot of surprises in store. So far, I like everything is realistically true to the world you guys built, and it's not a magically zero turned hero story in all ways possible.

Keep the updates coming!
ImageImageImage
Visual Novel Writer, Project Head and Otome Enthusiast | Hire me to write your stories! [Commissions]