The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Free][LAUNCHED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hanuli
Regular
Completed: The Great Voyage
Projects: Vengeful Heart
Deviantart: Hanuli
itch: Hanuli

The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Free][LAUNCHED]

#1 Post by Hanuli »

UPDATE: We have a trailer!
UPDATE 2: WE HAVE LAUNCHED! YOU CAN FIND US HERE: https://hanuli.itch.io/the-great-voyage

---OVERVIEW---

The Great Voyage is my long-time project that I'm finally able to release in the next few months. The story is about three very selfish people having to escape their besieged home city. During their journey they have to learn to understand the value of life in different ways.

The art style is inspired by some old japanese PC games, I saw screenshots of in twitter. Their names were "Possessioner" and "Virgin Angel" (googling will be NSFW-ish) I have been fascinated by pixel art for some time and decided to redraw all the art in the vn an this is the result. Putting limitations on the art style and the color palette helped me to make my art more cohesive since I have no personal style of my own.

To tell the truth, The Great Voyage has been "in production" for almost 7 years. The project lay abandoned in my old computer for years, until my anxiety about not finishing any of my projects kickstarted me to finish my oldest project after all these years. Understandably the writer of the story (a friend I'm doing this with) is no longer happy with his old text, so he's rewriting the most offensive parts. His deadline is set to the end of July.

(English translations in the screenshots are a work in progress.)

After my friend finishes polishing the text, we will release The Great Voyage for free (with a voluntary donation button in the game menu). We plan to release in Steam, Itch.io, Game Jolt, GOG and anywhere we can get our hands on. The platforms will be Windows and Mac.

---STORY---

The royal city of Flayes has been under siege for months. The food is running out everywhere but the royal court. High society lives like there's no tomorrow, and for a reason. One night the walls protecting the city break down and Vassan, Eugenie and Memnon are forced to accept reality, their homeland is no more. High society has raised these people extremely selfish, but as they flee Flayes they are forced to change their ways. But is it possible to value kindness and life in a world where individual lives have little value?

---CHARACTERS---

"No, I`m not having fun. Then again, when you`re at war and everyone around you is pretending it`s New Year`s Eve, are you supposed to? I feel its my fate to be alone in party crowds, and in good company only when I`m alone with a book. Or my quill."

"It`s not about the money, it`s about being free. And that`s a lot easier when you have money. Or are a man."

"Yes, life isn`t much more than the lies we tell ourselves. The trick is pick a fun lie and tell it well."

---BLOG---

There's a blog I made to document the progress we make in the game. The game is more or less finished so I make a weekly post detailing some aspect of the production. :) If you are interested, you may find the blog here: https://ladybugs.svbtle.com/

If you have any questions or comments I would love hear them :) The reason we are releasing this for free is because we want maximum amount of feedback! Tell us what you think about The Great Voyage based on this post.
Last edited by Hanuli on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hanuli
Regular

Re: The Great Voyage [Adventure][Retro][Free]

#2 Post by Hanuli »

I'm making a title/logo for The Great Voyage. I need some outsider opinions!
Here are some examples:

Is the text clear?
Should there be light dots in the background?
Does the rose look fine and should it be in the logo?
Should the light-blue "smoothing" be in the logo or not?

I have asked my friends but they might be too polite to criticize me at all :P Your input will be appreciated.

Also there are new blog posts about the VN: https://ladybugs.svbtle.com/ Go take a look!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

It's interesting. I find these all readable from a distance, or when shrunk down. But when I'm close up, the complexity of the pixel shading does something to me and it makes it hard to pick out the already complicated letter forms, such that my first impression (on coming on this thread without reading the topic) was WTF?

I'd suggest being a bit careful about that - I think this could work, but needs to be presented at a small size so it merges together.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I really like the pixel art that you've done. The first logo option is my personal favorite.

Hanuli
Regular

#5 Post by Hanuli »

PyTom wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:21 pm It's interesting. I find these all readable from a distance, or when shrunk down. But when I'm close up, the complexity of the pixel shading does something to me and it makes it hard to pick out the already complicated letter forms, such that my first impression (on coming on this thread without reading the topic) was WTF?

I'd suggest being a bit careful about that - I think this could work, but needs to be presented at a small size so it merges together.
Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late reply. I was worried that may be the case with the logo. I tried to find a balance with pixelation and curly fonts. I intend to use the logo only as a thumbnail in any shop pages I get it in, so the close-upness shouldn't be a problem?
Zelan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm I really like the pixel art that you've done. The first logo option is my personal favorite.
Thank you for your input :) Much appreciated!

Hanuli
Regular

#6 Post by Hanuli »

Updated the original post with characters and story, will be posting an update later today. There are also many new blog posts for you to see about the game in: https://ladybugs.svbtle.com/

Hanuli
Regular

#7 Post by Hanuli »

(Whoops, something happened and I couldn't post on the day I said I would. Anyways, here is the post)

The Author of the script has finished rewriting the script, now he needs to translate it. Again, his deadline is in the end of July so the game should release at latest, a month after that.
In the meanwhile let me share the fruits of my years of labor for this vn! As I told earlier I started making this vn a whopping 7 years ago! During that time I have evolved as an artist quite a bit. I'd like to share all the different versions of a character to illustrate the point:

1st version - circa 2011
My niece commented when she saw her: "That is too sweet! There is no way you made that!" Ah, how my family believes in me.

2nd version - circa 2012
I had recently become a fan of Steins:Gate and tried to emulate the sprite art with this. Author's comments at the time: "May I have her number?"

3rd version - circa ????
I have no memory of drawing this, however I commend myself for trying to experiment with colors

4th version - circa 2014-2015?
I somehow had an idea to make the art more fantasy-esque, so I added elf ears. This intent was short-lived. Vassan and Memnon don't even have designs from this period.

5th version - today
The final design, simplified from all unnecessary trash. The dress has stayed surprisingly intact all these years!

If you enjoy this kind of progress pics, there is more in the blog.

Hanuli
Regular

#8 Post by Hanuli »

Updated the OP with the trailer I made.

Hanuli
Regular

Re: The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Free][LAUNCHED]

#9 Post by Hanuli »

The game is ready and can be found here!:https://hanuli.itch.io/the-great-voyage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Zelan »

Congratulations on the release! You should make a post to the Completed Games forum so that more people see that the game is finished. c:

Hanuli
Regular

#11 Post by Hanuli »

Zelan wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:34 pm Congratulations on the release! You should make a post to the Completed Games forum so that more people see that the game is finished. c:
I did just that! :) Am I supposed to delete this thread now?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Zelan »

Hanuli wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 am
Zelan wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:34 pm Congratulations on the release! You should make a post to the Completed Games forum so that more people see that the game is finished. c:
I did just that! :) Am I supposed to delete this thread now?
No, the old thread can stay! :)