Hunted [Animals][Fantasy][Horror][Free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lirch
Projects: Hunted
Tumblr: dazedogdraws
Deviantart: dazedog

Hunted [Animals][Fantasy][Horror][Free]

#1 Post by Lirch »

They call it color, the rare affliction that comes along with strange voices and the power to open doors to unknown places.

One night a stranger arrives, wearing the same unusual coat that the youngest member of a wolf pack has - and they have a request and a story to tell...

You are the stranger.

Hunted will be a short story about a story – or several.

I didn't set out to create a horror story, but by now it's best to include the tag and a warning that there will be blood. If you dislike that you might want to avoid this story.
I included some screenshots at the end of this post.

I will include audio files that might even make it necessary to turn on the volume – no spoilers as for why, though! :D

I am 100% done with the art part of the game, unless my future beta readers need more pictures to understand what is going on. I didn't count, but the amount of drawings for it should be around 50 pictures, including sprites and variations. The sprites have simple blinking and talking animations.

As of now I can't give a good estimate for how long it will take to read the story. It's pretty linear and while I have general plans for the scenes I'm not yet sure how much I will write. I promise that I will avoid filler text, however. I dislike how long many VNs take to truly begin with the plot.
I would have posted in the "short non-commercial games" category but it's taken me about 6 months to get this far, for various reasons.

I am creating this story mainly to test the VN Maker and get a feel for what it's like to create a visual novel. I'd bought the program right when it came out and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The interface makes it a lot easier for me, as I know nothing about coding. Creating a story is hard enough as it is.
A request of mine would be for those who have the program and either already created a game or know a little about how to use it to post here.

Of course I'd be happy about any sort of feedback – critique is awesome, whether it's about my writing or my art.
If you have questions, ask away – I will answer unless it's too far into spoiler territory!
Attachments
screenshot of the VN Maker
screenshot of the VN Maker
scrn2.png
title screen and the beginning of the VN
title screen and the beginning of the VN

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

Re: Hunted [Animals][Fantasy][Horror][Free]

#2 Post by DirkB »

The art looks fantastic to me. I also don't like filler text that doesn't progress the story or doesn't give important/interesting thoughts about what's going on.

I am always interested in novels that are different from the usual romance type.

(I use Ren'py so I can't help you with the VN maker.)

Lirch

#3 Post by Lirch »

DirkB wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 am The art looks fantastic to me. I also don't like filler text that doesn't progress the story or doesn't give important/interesting thoughts about what's going on.

I am always interested in novels that are different from the usual romance type.

(I use Ren'py so I can't help you with the VN maker.)
Thank you, I'm happy to hear that! :'D
I spent a long time on the drawings and tried to make them look good while keeping a consistent style.

Regarding filler text: My lazy side regrets choosing dialogue to tell most of the story, but I decided that it fit best for what I was going for. And I guess it's good practice for any future story. I love games that try something different, too, even if that means that this game will be even more of a niche VN than others.
And you won't find any romance here, I can promise that much 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Wow, the art is absolutely gorgeous. Kudos to you for that. c:

Most (all?) visual novels that I've played focus on humans and humanoid characters, so I'm really interested to see this one, since it looks like you have mostly animal characters. I was (who am I kidding, still am) big into the Warriors series as a kid, which focused around wild cats, so this is definitely to my taste. c:

Lirch

#5 Post by Lirch »

Zelan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 pm Wow, the art is absolutely gorgeous. Kudos to you for that. c:

Most (all?) visual novels that I've played focus on humans and humanoid characters, so I'm really interested to see this one, since it looks like you have mostly animal characters. I was (who am I kidding, still am) big into the Warriors series as a kid, which focused around wild cats, so this is definitely to my taste. c:
Thank you! :D

Yeah, I have seen some furry/anthro visual novels, though I usually am not a fan of humanoid animals so I haven't played them. Disney movies and werewolves (that look like wolves and not strange monkeys) are an exception. And nope, no humans in this story!
I only ever read about the Warriors series, but I was a huge fan of another novel about wild cats that live in clans - Tailchaser's Song. It's been a long time but I still remember quite a few things that I loved about it. The antagonists (and one of the main characters) were incredibly creepy to me - and that's a plus for me.

Also here's one more screenshot from the beginning I had posted elsewhere:
Attachments
4.png

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

A bit off-topic, but I just looked up the book and apparently there's supposed to be a movie release this year. Might be worth checking out if you were a fan of the book. c: I'll see if I get a chance to read it myself, it sounds like something I would be into.

That screenshot is gorgeous, too, I'm really looking forward to playing the full game. ^_^

Lirch

#7 Post by Lirch »

Zelan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm A bit off-topic, but I just looked up the book and apparently there's supposed to be a movie release this year. Might be worth checking out if you were a fan of the book. c: I'll see if I get a chance to read it myself, it sounds like something I would be into.

That screenshot is gorgeous, too, I'm really looking forward to playing the full game. ^_^
I wonder if the movie will be for children or adults - I remember that the book did not exactly hold back on violence o_o Doubt we will see another movie like Felidae, however...
I pretty much grew up with stories like this, animal documentaries and online comics about wolves - I guess it's no wonder that I don't think twice about showing blood in my drawings.
Oh, and yes, try it! It's from 1985 but it wrote about many things years before Warrior Cats did. (granted, I read the translated book as I'm from Germany, but I believe that was released in 2006). Not meant in a snobby way, of course <w<"

Lirch

#8 Post by Lirch »

Another update and a question:
I have written the dialogue for most of the scenes and have fixed a few backgrounds a little. Now I have to figure out what causes some random glitching. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's the program or my settings...

After staring at the text for so long I am not exactly sure if the text style I use is easy to read. Would you have noticed the difference in text colour between the two characters? Would you want more of a difference or a different font?
Attachments
scrntalk.png
scrnpup.png
A sprite that got cut as it didn't fit the style I was going for any longer.
A sprite that got cut as it didn't fit the style I was going for any longer.

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

#9 Post by DirkB »

I think it's easy enough to read, but I am not sure what you mean by noticing the difference between two characters. The two screens I see have exactly the same color/font??

Lirch

#10 Post by Lirch »

That's good, I had feared that the cursive text might be annoying to read. I'll check the program to see if the normal font looks better, though.

Sooo it's not obvious enough :lol: