Times New Roman [Slice of Life?][Mystery][Multiple Endings][Free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
raeurae
Projects: Times New Roman
Tumblr: raeurae
Deviantart: raeurae

Times New Roman [Slice of Life?][Mystery][Multiple Endings][Free]

#1 Post by raeurae »

Overview

Hello! I am very new to this, but this is culminating to be a small summer project of mine that I am determined to finish before classes begin again.

Times New Roman is a short VN about a small journalism club finding themselves in quite a pickle after a quite a few students die one after the other in the matter of only a few days. Is it suicide? Murder? It is the responsibility of you, and the rest of the club, to find out what is really going on before things get too out of hand. There are multiple endings planned with different outcomes depending on what kinds of interactions you have with certain characters, and hopefully I will be able to compile a few small mini games, such as little puzzles or riddles that can make solving the mystery more fun! The whole game takes place during about fourish days.

wow, that was cheesy

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Characters
(please keep in mind that most of them have more than three sprites!)

ImageImageImage

Alexander AKA Sasha

Sasha is a pensive senior that has been president of the club for three years running. Even though he is slight strange (and still uses DOS programs to write all of his articles), he's a fantastic writer that likes to stick to the traditional way of running the club. You don't know much about his personal life despite being a part of the club for so long, but perhaps that isn't such a bad thing...

ImageImageImage

Maki

Always a stickler for grammar and spelling, Maki makes a fantastic chief editor (and vice president) of the Journalism Club. Even though though he is a only junior, is is probably one of the most hardworking members of the club who really cares about what gets published. Sometimes he may bash heads with Sasha, but such is to be expected, given their respective temperaments.

ImageImageImage

Lye

An abrasive sophomore, she really only comes to the club when there isn't much else to do (or when there is nobody left to boss around). Occasionally though, she will write a few gossip columns, or, even more rarely, a help column. For the most part, the club will call for her when they are in need of a photograph of some sort, as she is known to take pictures of legitimately everything and everybody, even without their explicit permission.

Admittedly, she does give great advice.

ImageImageImage

Joseph

yes, I see the ghosting going on in that second sprite, this is going to get fixed soon!!
Joseph is the sports columnist for the school, and a star soccer player (or a star football player, if you listen to his vernacular). Although he is a freshman, he manages to scare every member of the club without fail, even without meaning to. Gratefully though, he seems to be quite nice once you get to know him, but be careful not to get on his bad side.

ImageImageImage

Opal

Opal is an energetic freshman who has a passion for art. Always the happy spirit, she draws many of the comic strips and does sketches of the school for the club. At any given time, you can find her with her face burrowed into an art history textbook. Although she is ecstatic to draw anything for the club, nobody has actually seen the inside of her personal sketchbook.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Screenshots

Image Image

Things to Accomplish
> Figure out how to bring the mini game aspect to life!
> Either commission someone to do music, or figure out how to do it myself

Here is what I have right now (which is very annoying to me, please let me know what you guys think!)

> Fix up the gui

I am interested to know if you guys think the text box in the example is too obtrusive to the game itself.

> Edit backgrounds?

I feel like they are a bit messy, but I tend to be very critical of my own art. The two in the examples above are the only ones as of yet (I am excluding the CGs I've already made from this!)

> Give my sprites the ability to blink!
Progress Log

> Story Outline is done!
> Day One is completely finished!
> Day Two is 45% Done
> 75% Character Sprites are done
> 25% Background Art is done
Last edited by raeurae on Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Times New Roman [Slice of Life?][Mystery][Multiple Endings][Free]

#2 Post by Zelan »

>I don't know anything about music composition - sorry!

>I think the GUI is okay as is; it could probably be better, but I don't know enough about GUI design to give you very specific or detailed pointers on what to fix. Possible the color scheme? It's paler than anything else on-screen. The most important thing, though, is that it's functional.

>I really like your backgrounds! The messy style actually fits your sprites really well, and they aren't so messy that you can't tell what's going on with them. (That math on the whiteboard is a nice touch, haha. It was way too recently that I was learning the same math. -_-)

It might be a somewhat cliched plot, but I think your characters are interesting enough that you could pull off a fun mystery story with them. c:

raeurae

#3 Post by raeurae »

Zelan wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:01 pm >I don't know anything about music composition - sorry!

>I think the GUI is okay as is; it could probably be better, but I don't know enough about GUI design to give you very specific or detailed pointers on what to fix. Possible the color scheme? It's paler than anything else on-screen. The most important thing, though, is that it's functional.

>I really like your backgrounds! The messy style actually fits your sprites really well, and they aren't so messy that you can't tell what's going on with them. (That math on the whiteboard is a nice touch, haha. It was way too recently that I was learning the same math. -_-)

It might be a somewhat cliched plot, but I think your characters are interesting enough that you could pull off a fun mystery story with them. c:
> That's okay!! I really don't either, ahaha

> I'm totally going to keep messing with the gui as time goes on ++ that is super helpful, I'll take that into consideration when I edit it some more!!!

> Thank you!!!!! I am really inexperienced with backgrounds, so that means a lot! (And same with the math lmao)

> And it is totally a cliche plot ahaha, I agree 100%, and I'm glad you think my characters are interesting!

Thank you so much for your response and feedback, it means so much to me <3

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#4 Post by AntiquedFae »

I am stopping by to say Opal is totally adorable and I am so happy she exists. How does the perspective/MC for the game work? Do you have a faceless character, are you switching perspectives, do you choose a character to be your MC? I can't seem to find that info in the main post so I'm curious. Looking forward to checking out the mystery!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

raeurae

#5 Post by raeurae »

AntiquedFae wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm I am stopping by to say Opal is totally adorable and I am so happy she exists. How does the perspective/MC for the game work? Do you have a faceless character, are you switching perspectives, do you choose a character to be your MC? I can't seem to find that info in the main post so I'm curious. Looking forward to checking out the mystery!
Ahhh, thank you so much! I'm glad you like her, that means a lot to me ahh <3

And, as for the MC, you play as your own faceless character; I have implemented a feature where you can choose your first and last name/gender + there will be tons of options/prompts that will change how the characters react towards you + each other.

Thanks for the question!