Virtual Hearts [BxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay
Projects: Battle Royale: For Your Heart!, Secrets Unsung
Tumblr: LegendExGames
itch: legendex-games

Virtual Hearts [BxB]

#1 Post by LegendEx »

Virtual Hearts is a BxB visual novel with two romance routes and multiple endings.
On Benson’s birthday, he makes a wish for his life to be more exciting. That same day, he receives a video game he’s never heard of in the mail from a distant relative. What happens when one of the characters jumps out of the screen and into Benson’s bedroom? He must be dreaming….right? Now, Benson must take care of the guy and make sure he can get back to his world in one piece!
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Drama, Slice of Life
Features:
1. Two Love Options
2. Multiple Endings
3. Original Sprite Art
4. CGs
5. Partial Voice Acting
6. More Announced Shortly
1. Benson Taft [Player Character]: Benson is an aspiring comic artist, getting a degree in graphic design and the fine arts. He hates having to keep up formalities, and would much rather relax. He lives a pretty average life. He wakes up, goes to school, goes to work, does his homework and then plays video games until it's time to go to bed. Soon, the mild tempered and relaxed boy's world is going to shake up. How will he react?

2. The Hero [Love Option #1]: The hero is the protagonist of the video game that Benson plays. Like in any video game, he wants to take down the villain. But his main quest takes a detour when he ends up in Benson's world. The Hero (whose name he likes to keep a secret) is full of life. He's got a great sense of humor and loves to have fun, but he's a bit of a reckless guy. Without his partner from the game keeping in line, what will he do?
3. The Villain [Love Option #2]: The Villain's sole purpose is to take down the Hero. But traveling to a world not his own puts a stop to his plans of wold domination. While the Hero is more relaxed and laid back, the Villain is uptight and holds himself to a high standard. He often looks down on others who he thinks are beneath him, the Hero included. How will he feel about Benson? Will Benson be able to unlock a side that not even the Villain himself knew he had?
More characters coming soon.
Project Lead, Writer: LegendEx
Co-Writer: Uvcat
Lead Programmer: Mitoky
Assistant Programmer: Dansylvestere
Gui and Logo artist: Mitoky
Sprite and CG Artist(s): Hey and Oscen

Questions:

1. Do you like the premise of this game?
2. What could we do to make this game better?
3. Favorite (and least favorite) things characters in video games do (in general?)
Last edited by LegendEx on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

Re: Virtual Hearts [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 2018]

#2 Post by bobconway »

I'm always excited to see more BxB, and recently to see things for Yaoijam, so this is great.

1) The premise sounds interesting! I'd be curious to see what (if any) explanation is provided for how (or why) the game characters end up in the real world. (Is the distant relative trying to hook him up? :D) I hope a lot of the comedy comes from the guys being both unfamiliar with the real world, and also chasing after each other as villains and heroes should.

2) I usually find that the most important part of games, for me, is the characters. Given that the hero and villain probably will (and should!) be completely over the top, as video game stereotypes often are, I hope Benson is well-written, relatable, and interesting as a character.

3) It often frustrates me when video game characters are particularly obtuse, either rushing off and doing the obviously wrong thing, ignoring obvious signs and clues, or generally just handling situations in horrible and unrealistic ways. But, as noted above, I almost feel like that would be *better* here.

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#3 Post by ParrotWatcher »

This looks fun, and I love Hero's hair (that is Hero, right?)
bobconway wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:44 am 3) It often frustrates me when video game characters are particularly obtuse, either rushing off and doing the obviously wrong thing, ignoring obvious signs and clues, or generally just handling situations in horrible and unrealistic ways. But, as noted above, I almost feel like that would be *better* here.
This would include pretty much the worst time-keeping skills. Hero shouldn't be able to distinguish when something is actually urgent, unless there's some kind of countdown visible. (He'll probably even go running off to do *less* urgent things instead...) :P
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

Overdose

#4 Post by Overdose »

1; I do like it! I'm excited to see the final product of this game!

2; Hm... maybe more romance options? The villain, as most villains do, doesn't seem to have a reason for his ways- It would be cool if he did!

3; Hrm... I just hope the characters are more developed? The hero is the typical hero, and the villain is the typical villain- what makes them different and interesting?

That aside, I do really like the idea! <3 I'm sorry I didn't really say much ;;

LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay

#5 Post by LegendEx »

Thank you all for the comments! I can't give any information yet as we're still finalizing a lot of the plot, but I'm taking to heart all of your lovely suggestions for the script! I appreciate you taking the time to comment and look at our WIP thread. Thank you so much!

Also, I fixed the thread so it's more clear who the sprite is. Rainbow hair is Hero, whose code name we'll be releasing soon :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

Don't have much more to say about the plot besides what those above me said, but I am LOVING Hero's hair, and his tats. The artist did a great job on his design! :D

LegendEx
Regular

#7 Post by LegendEx »

@Zelan Thanks for the comment!

I've uploaded the player character and villain's art. Hope you like them!

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#8 Post by bobconway »

Aww, protag and villain are super cute.

Your sprite artist does a really great job with hair, both in style and color. Are the wings on his back part of his jacket, or are they actual wings that stick out from his back?

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

LegendEx
Regular

#9 Post by LegendEx »

@bobconway we've thought a lot about this comment and decided that the villain has actual wings on his back in game but out of game he's got the embellishment on his back!

Also, we have a super cool logo done by Mitoky! ^_^