Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale] [DEMO 1.0 OUT]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
pumpkin spike
Regular
Projects: A Bureau of Monsters
itch: pumpkin-spike

Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale] [DEMO 1.0 OUT]

#1 Post by pumpkin spike »

STORY
Freki Lyall has spent most of his life refusing to step out of his family’s mansion; if he’s a disappointment to his parents, he can’t possibly do better in the outside world, can he? But when his beloved older brother, Geri, disappears, Freki makes the decision to step outside and look for him.
LINK TO DEMO 1.0
Demo 1.0 contains unfinished assets. It is submitted to make it in time for the yaoi jam deadline. I will continue to work on the game throughout the year.
The demo is PG-13 and the full game will be 16+ for violence.

ABOUT

Hello, pumpkin spike here, participating in my first yaoi jam! (: The goal for the end of this jam is to complete a demo for the game. Because I wanted to have a concise summary above, there's a number of details that didn't make it into the description. This story takes place in the 1920s-1930s in a small, fictional European country. The love interests, who "help" Freki find his brother, are based off four fairy tales: The Three Little Pigs, The Wolf and the Seven Kids, Red Riding Hood, and The Boy Who Cried Wolf. So each route will be a loose fairy tale retelling. Although the main character, Freki, has a fairly set personality, his name is changeable.

The tags for the Romance and Historical genres have question marks following them as I'm currently not sure how big of an impact they will play in the story. There will be romance since it is a BxB game, but I would describe this story to fall under mystery and action before it falls under romance.

DEVBLOG (Tumblr)

Some questions for the viewers! (Updated for demo)
  1. What do you think of the characters, do you have a favorite one?
  2. Would you prefer releases for each route as they are finished, or would you prefer that the entire game be finished and released as a whole?
  3. I've noticed that most yaoi visual novels contain R18 sexual material. What do you think of the fact that this game won't contain R18 material? Should it be considered within the yaoi genre? If it shouldn't, what genre do you think it should be? (Depending on people's opinion for this question, I may put in R18 scenes. However, it would have to be really convincing since R18 scenes are not my forte...) Or, if I'm actually completely wrong about there being R18 material in most yaoi visual novels, feel free to link me to non-R18 ones to broaden my horizons c:
  4. Any feedback in general?
UPDATES

Now that Demo 1.0 is finished, look forward to the following updates for Demo 2.0! (:
  • Finished backgrounds
  • Finished CGs
  • Original music
  • Sprites for non-main characters
  • Original GUI
  • Redo sprites & art (more expressions, poses, and to make them look older)
CHARACTERS

While more character sprites will be drawn for a full game release, the demo will only feature the main character and his four love interests.

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by pumpkin spike on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
WIP AllxAll game with turn based fighting (Demo 2.0 out!)

WIP Yaoi game Demo 1.0 out! (haitus)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale]

#2 Post by Zelan »

1. One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player?: I'm not a huge fan of this sort of thing, honestly. In my opinion, working for a good end is achieved by choosing the right answers, and I shouldn't be forced into bad ends just to extend my
playtime. However, I think the times that a system like this works really well is when the bad ends give the player information that they didn't have that helps to make the good end clearer.

2. What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you?: Freki does look young, more like a 16 year old than a 26 year old; I think it's a product of your art style. That said, I don't mind the fact that he's stated to be older.

I love fairytale retellings so I'm really excited to see where this goes. :D

pumpkin spike
Regular

Re: Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale]

#3 Post by pumpkin spike »

Zelan wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 pm 1. One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player?: I'm not a huge fan of this sort of thing, honestly. In my opinion, working for a good end is achieved by choosing the right answers, and I shouldn't be forced into bad ends just to extend my
playtime. However, I think the times that a system like this works really well is when the bad ends give the player information that they didn't have that helps to make the good end clearer.

2. What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you?: Freki does look young, more like a 16 year old than a 26 year old; I think it's a product of your art style. That said, I don't mind the fact that he's stated to be older.

I love fairytale retellings so I'm really excited to see where this goes. :D
My current plan is to have most of the good route be a completely new content as the player do their second run of the game. More information will definitely be given on the second playthrough. But at the same time, I might get lazy and scrap this idea when I actually write the stories. In which case, I'll probably just have 3 endings per route.

I'm glad you're excited! :D I've always wanted to do fairy tale retellings so I'm actually pretty excited myself too >v< I hope the end product will be an enjoyable game for you~

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#4 Post by ParrotWatcher »

pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player?
I would say it depends how long the game is and how fun the bad endings are. If it's a quite short game with bad endings which are more enjoyable than depressing, I'd say it's fine. However, for a longer game, it probably wouldn't be as fun for the readers. Also, whenever I've seen this kind of thing before, usually it's only the perfect (or harem...) ending that's locked, and there are multiple good endings that aren't locked.
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you?
Freki certainly looks younger than 26, but the manga/anime style generally makes people look younger. I do think that it might make more sense for him and Dreiden (and maybe Rohit, too) to be younger, given their character descriptions, but obviously it's your decision.
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

pumpkin spike
Regular

#5 Post by pumpkin spike »

ParrotWatcher wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:42 am
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player?
I would say it depends how long the game is and how fun the bad endings are. If it's a quite short game with bad endings which are more enjoyable than depressing, I'd say it's fine. However, for a longer game, it probably wouldn't be as fun for the readers. Also, whenever I've seen this kind of thing before, usually it's only the perfect (or harem...) ending that's locked, and there are multiple good endings that aren't locked.
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you?
Freki certainly looks younger than 26, but the manga/anime style generally makes people look younger. I do think that it might make more sense for him and Dreiden (and maybe Rohit, too) to be younger, given their character descriptions, but obviously it's your decision.
Any chance you can give an example of a bad ending you've found enjoyable? Most games' bad ends I've played are generally sad or characters end up dying. (And this is just me brainstorming now) Maybe I could have a very general good end available unlocked and make the good end an unlockable best end instead?

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#6 Post by fmjaye »

One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player?
Nooope~♡ I like when you have to unlock the true ending, and if bad endings are interesting and have some story to them then I like them too. Especially if the things you learn in the bad endings are important to getting the good one (or, if they're just super morbid... :v).
What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you?
I thought Freki was younger (like, teenaged), both from how he looks & his character description. But it doesn't really make a difference to me. ^^;

Anyway! It sounds really interesting & I'm looking forward to it!
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

ParrotWatcher
Regular

#7 Post by ParrotWatcher »

pumpkin spike wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm Any chance you can give an example of a bad ending you've found enjoyable? Most games' bad ends I've played are generally sad or characters end up dying. (And this is just me brainstorming now) Maybe I could have a very general good end available unlocked and make the good end an unlockable best end instead?
Something like the game String of Fates, where the bad ends are short and (generally) funny, involving things like the protagonist being pulled down to Hell by his grandfather's ghost, accidentally poisoning his crush, or just dying because his name was too boring... Even when something terrible happens, it's fun to play through, and doesn't take too long, which is kinda necessary, since to get the true ending, you have to get at least most of the "bad" endings.
(Ironically, the true ending is actually the first ending you can get, but you don't realise it's the true ending until the epilogue.)
The point is that the game shouldn't feel like a chore to play, and getting through depressing bad endings to get to the good ones can feel that way. I would certainly think that the "generic good + unlockable best" would be a better system to use.

Also, is that one bad and good ending per boyfriend, and would you have to go through each bad ending to get each good one?

Regarding the art, wow, Rohit looks super young, even compared to Freki... And thinking about it, his character really should be younger: he's only just joined the police (and it's a family tradition), so he should probably be 21 at most.

sonnenblumen
Regular
Projects: Project: Perfectly Normal

#8 Post by sonnenblumen »

Wow, the concept for this looks super interesting! Fairytale retellings are always welcomed. :)

As for your questions:

One of the plans I have for this game is to make good ends unlockable. As in, you have to complete the two bad ends before you can play the good end. This is to enforce the idea of having to work for a happy ending? What do you think of that? Would that turn you away as a player? Personally, I love 'bad'/tragic ends and I usually always try to play them before getting to the good end anyway IF I enjoy the game. So, I probably wouldn't mind this system, but it might put me off from playing routes that I'm less interested in unless there's a big true end that's only unlocked if you play everyone or something. I'm not sure about the length of your game, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this idea if it's long. However, for a short to medium length game, I think it's very doable as long as you figure out a good way to present it.

Either way, I think that only being able to unlock the good end by playing the bad ends will quickly get repetitive and boring after 1-2 routes unless you find a way to make it interesting! That's why I'd suggest that the bad ends are written so that they actually contribute to the overall narrative on some level/offer some sort of insight into the happy endings. Basically, don't make them feel like 'sudden death then fade to black' ends or filler endings. Also, if you're planning to make the player re-start the entire route from scratch after playing the bad end (in order to play the good end), I'd recommend maybe adding some new content (even if it's just an extra scene or two) to make it worthwhile? Anyway, that's my opinion on it. ^^

What do you think of the art & the character ages? I wanted to make a game with slightly older characters, but when I drew the art, I felt like they looked a little young. ...And also realized most characters I draw look young. Do they seem that way to you? If they do look too young, does the fact that they are stated to be older bother you? I think others have mentioned this already (?), but that's your style so it wouldn't put me off as long as one character doesn't look significantly younger/older than the other if they're meant to be the same age and look like it as well. By the way, I'm loving the logo!

pumpkin spike
Regular

#9 Post by pumpkin spike »

fmjaye wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 pm Nooope~♡ I like when you have to unlock the true ending, and if bad endings are interesting and have some story to them then I like them too. Especially if the things you learn in the bad endings are important to getting the good one (or, if they're just super morbid... :v).
I can promise some pretty morbid bad ends for this game ★ I guess I would describe the bad ends as open questions and the good ends as an answer to them.
ParrotWatcher wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 am The point is that the game shouldn't feel like a chore to play, and getting through depressing bad endings to get to the good ones can feel that way. I would certainly think that the "generic good + unlockable best" would be a better system to use.

Also, is that one bad and good ending per boyfriend, and would you have to go through each bad ending to get each good one?

Regarding the art, wow, Rohit looks super young, even compared to Freki... And thinking about it, his character really should be younger: he's only just joined the police (and it's a family tradition), so he should probably be 21 at most.
I get what you mean now! Hmm... I do want to try and write some humorous ends now :D Thanks for the advice~ I think I'll try a generic good, or neutral end.

Each boyfriend gets 2 bad ends + 1 good end, by my original plans. The good end being unlocked by playing the bad ends. For example, if you play both of Rohit's bad ends, you now unlock Rohit's good end. But not Dreiden's good end.

Yea... I might age Rohit down a bit ^^; I have tried making his eyes a little smaller so he looks a bit older. Not by much though -v-;; I'll probably update his info in a week or so, when I finish the rest of the sprites.
sonnenblumen wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:53 am Personally, I love 'bad'/tragic ends and I usually always try to play them before getting to the good end anyway IF I enjoy the game. So, I probably wouldn't mind this system, but it might put me off from playing routes that I'm less interested in unless there's a big true end that's only unlocked if you play everyone or something. I'm not sure about the length of your game, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this idea if it's long. However, for a short to medium length game, I think it's very doable as long as you figure out a good way to present it.

Either way, I think that only being able to unlock the good end by playing the bad ends will quickly get repetitive and boring after 1-2 routes unless you find a way to make it interesting! That's why I'd suggest that the bad ends are written so that they actually contribute to the overall narrative on some level/offer some sort of insight into the happy endings. Basically, don't make them feel like 'sudden death then fade to black' ends or filler endings. Also, if you're planning to make the player re-start the entire route from scratch after playing the bad end (in order to play the good end), I'd recommend maybe adding some new content (even if it's just an extra scene or two) to make it worthwhile? Anyway, that's my opinion on it. ^^
Thank you, I'm glad you like the concept + logo! :D

My current plans for the unlockable route is to actually rewrite most of the content. (This may change if I end up writing routes that are too long...) I do love the VNs you've described and I aspire to write a game that does reveal more information per route, but wow, the scope of this project may get really big if I do o-o

ParrotWatcher
Regular

#10 Post by ParrotWatcher »

pumpkin spike wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm I get what you mean now! Hmm... I do want to try and write some humorous ends now :D Thanks for the advice~ I think I'll try a generic good, or neutral end.

Each boyfriend gets 2 bad ends + 1 good end, by my original plans. The good end being unlocked by playing the bad ends. For example, if you play both of Rohit's bad ends, you now unlock Rohit's good end. But not Dreiden's good end.
So, wait, now we have to get *two* bad endings to get the good one? I can see that as being even more aggravating than having to get just the one...

Just to note: I will quite often search through games looking for the bad endings (if I like it enough), but generally I'd prefer if my initial playthrough was a good (or at least neutral) end.

pumpkin spike
Regular

#11 Post by pumpkin spike »

ParrotWatcher wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am
pumpkin spike wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm I get what you mean now! Hmm... I do want to try and write some humorous ends now :D Thanks for the advice~ I think I'll try a generic good, or neutral end.

So, wait, now we have to get *two* bad endings to get the good one? I can see that as being even more aggravating than having to get just the one...

Just to note: I will quite often search through games looking for the bad endings (if I like it enough), but generally I'd prefer if my initial playthrough was a good (or at least neutral) end.
Hello, sorry it took so long to respond, busy month ^^;
I put a lot of thought to all of your advice and I finally decided to have already unlocked: 2 bad ends and one good (neutral) end. The best end will be obtainable after finishing one ending, no matter if they're good or bad :D These ends will all be accomplished based on affection points and the best end will unlock brand new material halfway through the route, should the player pick to play the best end.

sonnenblumen
Regular
Projects: Project: Perfectly Normal

#12 Post by sonnenblumen »

pumpkin spike wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 pm
ParrotWatcher wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Hello, sorry it took so long to respond, busy month ^^;
I put a lot of thought to all of your advice and I finally decided to have already unlocked: 2 bad ends and one good (neutral) end. The best end will be obtainable after finishing one ending, no matter if they're good or bad :D These ends will all be accomplished based on affection points and the best end will unlock brand new material halfway through the route, should the player pick to play the best end.
That sounds like a good idea to me! :’) I like that idea, plus if it’s new content halfway through (as long as the content is good), I think that’d be very interesting and fun to play.

pumpkin spike
Regular

#13 Post by pumpkin spike »

There's like 2 weeks left for this jam and things are kinda coming together... slowly. Unfortunately, family vacation would be on the last weekend. We'll see what happens then...

Stats have been updated! The script, and editing, is considered finished for the demo. I may go back and tweak it as post yaoi jam demos occur.

Because I'm pretty rushed, I unfortunately do not have all backgrounds finished and am using both rendered images and a couple of CC images by OokamiKasumi. There are still a few more background images I actually have to draw because rendering these few may be... difficult ;; but if push comes to shove... welp... render they will be.

I put CGs at 30%, but that number may not be accurate... basically, I still have quite a few to do. The original plan was 4 CGs, but as I wrote the script, there were a few moments that I felt sprite + bg did not do justice. And so... for the yaoi jam, there will be a number of lined CGs rather than fully colored/finished ones.

The goal is to have a playable demo for the yaoi jam deadline, then continue to update the demo until all bgs, CGs and sprites are finished. Below are some screenshots of how the game looks so far. (CG, finished background, rendered background)

pumpkin spike
Regular

Re: Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale] [DEMO 1.0 OUT]

#14 Post by pumpkin spike »

Demo 1.0 has been completed for the yaoi jam. Linked below in the picture and above in the first post!
Updates will continue following the jam for Demo 2.0 with finished assets (:

Thank you in advance for your time!

ParrotWatcher
Regular

Re: Big Bad Wolf [BxB] [Yaoi Jam 18] [Romance?, Historical?, Action, Mystery, Fairy Tale] [DEMO 1.0 OUT]

#15 Post by ParrotWatcher »

pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm 1. What do you think of the characters, do you have a favorite one?
I'd say Gyles is my favourite so far. He's nice, both to Freki and to other people, and I always like nice guys. I don't really have a feel for Rohit right now, but he seems likeable, too. I know Dreiden didn't give the best first impression, but given the circumstances, I think he can be excused... And I don't really like Ernest; it doesn't feel like he's really done enough to make up for stealing from Freki.
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm 2. Would you prefer releases for each route as they are finished, or would you prefer that the entire game be finished and released as a whole?
No preference here.
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm 3. I've noticed that most yaoi visual novels contain R18 sexual material. What do you think of the fact that this game won't contain R18 material? Should it be considered within the yaoi genre? If it shouldn't, what genre do you think it should be? (Depending on people's opinion for this question, I may put in R18 scenes. However, it would have to be really convincing since R18 scenes are not my forte...) Or, if I'm actually completely wrong about there being R18 material in most yaoi visual novels, feel free to link me to non-R18 ones to broaden my horizons c:
I am certainly a fan of the sexy scenes, but they're by no means mandatory. (I guess it depends on the definition of "yaoi", really, but not many people use the strict Japanese meaning.)
pumpkin spike wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm 4. Any feedback in general?
I guess it did feel weird that Geri's messages all found their intended recipient without any problems. It can often feel like the character in question has some kind of future vision, really.

I did like how Freki was characterised; it almost felt like he was trapped, even when he could easily leave.

All in all, this certainly feels like a good start, and I'm interested to see how it goes.