Paragon [ANYxANY][Superhero][Adult] v0.1.1

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DoubleProlix
Regular

Paragon [ANYxANY][Superhero][Adult] v0.1.1

#1 Post by DoubleProlix »

Synopsis:
The world has changed, and you've changed with it. You're bigger. Stronger. Nearly seven feet of muscle and sinew with a body that bodybuilders would die for. Only you don't remember how you got it - or anything else from the past two weeks.

Finding yourself in a military quarantine with other changed individuals, you must decide who to trust, who to confide in, and who to be. Will you resist the temptation that your newfound power brings - or succumb to its temptations?

Features:

* Play a newly manifested superhuman in a morally gray world
* What you can take is limited only by your grasp, as long as you can handle the consequences.
* Play a male or female character, straight, gay, or bisexual
* Possess and learn to control superhuman strength
* Your choices determine your moral and ethical standing
* Choice-based tactical combat options - no random outcomes
* Placeholder art will be replaced as funding increases

Progress:
Writing: 20%
Editing: 10%
Art: 0% - currently all placeholder art
Music and SFX: 20%

Structure:
The game is structured into "Issues" like a comic book miniseries, with each major release adding a new Issue that advances the storyline.

Issue One is feature-complete, but the text will likely see further revision. Adult content is minimal; most of the first Issue is establishing information and NPC introduction.

Release Schedule:
During production new Issues will be released first to $5+ supporters on Double Prolix's patreon. One month later, new builds will be released to $1 patrons. Public builds will be made available free on itch.io.

v. 0.1.1 Public Release: https://double-prolix.itch.io/pc-paragon

Funds raised go to pay for writing, development, and the commission of art assets.

Bonus Project:
Power Corrupts is hybrid VN/open world sandbox set in the same world. Versions 0.1 to 0.4 were produced in Ren'Py, but development is shifting to Unity. Its focus was on the technical development rather than story, but if you're interested in checking out the last Ren'Py build, the game is available is on itch.io.

Ultimately the goal is to raise enough money to afford to replace the placeholder art I'm using with professionally commissioned art. I'm really trying to evoke the feeling of a comic book - stories divided into "issues", a comic-book inspired art style, UI patterned after comic book tropes - word balloons, narration boxes, etc.

Any suggestions or questions are welcome, as is any sort of general critique.
Current Project: Thaumarotica - an occult erotic thriller
SubscribeStar - Patreon - Itch.io

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Paragon [ANYxANY][Superhero][Adult] v0.1.1

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I noticed this work-in-progress. Two things got my attention...

* Distinct art. That can help you find (or possibly create) an audience for your story.
* External conflict. I've always enjoyed stories in which characters are fighting tangible threats (rivals, enemies, nature...).
DoubleProlix wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pm * Play a male or female character, straight, gay, or bisexual
The game is structured into "Issues" like a comic book miniseries, with each major release adding a new Issue that advances the storyline.
These are admirable goals. Hopefully you'll benefit from using Patreon to fund the development required to implement some (or all) of these.

I am worried that Paragon might collapse under the weight of its ambitions. Make sure to think about scope creep. Ask yourself what you can do to include game elements that you want, without promising too much.
DoubleProlix wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pmI'm really trying to evoke the feeling of a comic book - stories divided into "issues", a comic-book inspired art style, UI patterned after comic book tropes - word balloons, narration boxes, etc.
This could work. Be sure to examine some professional examples of painting the medium.Three examples: 1. The absurd universe of Scott Pilgrim Versus the World includes on-screen sound effects and life meters. 2. Jim Steranko's comics sometimes included maze-like pages. 3. Phantom Hourglass was one of a few Nintendo DS games in which the player had to close the clamshell system in order to solve a puzzle.

DoubleProlix
Regular

Re: Paragon [ANYxANY][Superhero][Adult] v0.1.1

#3 Post by DoubleProlix »

gekiganwing wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm I noticed this work-in-progress. Two things got my attention...

* Distinct art. That can help you find (or possibly create) an audience for your story.
* External conflict. I've always enjoyed stories in which characters are fighting tangible threats (rivals, enemies, nature...).
DoubleProlix wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pm * Play a male or female character, straight, gay, or bisexual
These are admirable goals. Hopefully you'll benefit from using Patreon to fund the development required to implement some (or all) of these.

I am worried that Paragon might collapse under the weight of its ambitions. Make sure to think about scope creep. Ask yourself what you can do to include game elements that you want, without promising too much.
First of all, thanks for your input!

I'm keeping a close eye on scope-creep. I have some experience with interactive fiction (in Inform, TADS, etc) and am all too familiar with how games can grow beyond their initial conceptions.

So far I'm doing a great job of keeping to my design doc, but I know my own tendencies well. We'll see!
DoubleProlix wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pmI'm really trying to evoke the feeling of a comic book - stories divided into "issues", a comic-book inspired art style, UI patterned after comic book tropes - word balloons, narration boxes, etc.
This could work. Be sure to examine some professional examples of painting the medium.Three examples: 1. The absurd universe of Scott Pilgrim Versus the World includes on-screen sound effects and life meters. 2. Jim Steranko's comics sometimes included maze-like pages. 3. Phantom Hourglass was one of a few Nintendo DS games in which the player had to close the clamshell system in order to solve a puzzle.
Some good ideas here. Hmm...
Current Project: Thaumarotica - an occult erotic thriller
SubscribeStar - Patreon - Itch.io