Your Dry Delight [BxB][Roaring 20s][Comedy][Free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Your Dry Delight [BxB][Roaring 20s][Comedy][Free]

#1 Post by Dovahkitteh »

—An Argent Games Project—

Release Date: 8/17/18

> Play for free on Steam! <
> Play for free on Itch.io! <
> Google Play--Coming Soon <

Follow our projects on
Twitter | Discord | Patreon

Your Dry Delight—a short Roaring 20s romance

—Summary—

Richter and his boss, Leslie, are private detectives hired to help throttle the liquor business in Cleveland, Ohio.
However, when Richter catches the eye of a charismatic mob boss, a different story falls into place...

—Info—

Your Dry Delight is a small, noncommercial game by Argent Games!
As a historical romantic comedy, it focuses primarily on a lighthearted atmosphere, but we've also taken pains
to be historically accurate and touch on some deeper themes related to Prohibition.

Your Dry Delight also features a somewhat different approach to routes:
While there are technically 2 romance routes, they tie together at the end of the story,
resulting in a single ending.

Genres: BxB romance, Roaring 20s, comedy, drama
Price: Free!!
Platforms: Itch.io, Google Play, Steam!
Rating: PG-13
Length: 20,000 words

Dovah: Writing, GUI, programming
Gamma: Management, marketing
xYorutenshi: Sprite art
Lesleigh63: Background art
Elphie: Key visual art
Last edited by Dovahkitteh on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

puubutt

Re: Your Dry Delight [BxB][Roaring 20s][Comedy][Free]

#2 Post by puubutt »

1) Which character do you like the look of the most?: Meyer. He looks very cool ^^

2) How likely are you to play short games (1-1.5 hours or less) if they're free?: Very likely. The shorter the games are the more I can go through ^^ Being free is a big
plus as well.
3) In historical settings where LGBT themes are involved, does avoidance of of nonacceptance/stigma themes bother you?: Not at all, fiction is made for keeping away from reality.

4) General comments/questions?: so technically there is one ending right? just 2 romance routes? or are they just similar? Looking forward to the game! Not reailly into romance but I havent seen a game take place in the 20's for so long! ♥

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

1) Which character do you like the look of the most?: The protagonist, actually.

2) How likely are you to play short games (1-1.5 hours or less) if they're free?: Pretty likely! As long as I find time lmao

3) In historical settings where LGBT themes are involved, does avoidance of of nonacceptance/stigma themes bother you?
For example, while male characters aren't making out on the streets with each other, there's no shock/horror/etc shown
during romantic confessions or flirtations—even though such behavior would be unaccepted in the 1920s.: Basically what puubutt said above. It's totally cool to explore those themes, but if you're aiming for a lighthearted story and the audience knows this, there's nothing wrong with leaving it at that. (Besides, you could always use the excuse that everyone who happens to be paying attention is tolerant - unlikely, sure, but it works.)

4) General comments/questions?: Prohibition is actually one of my favorite historical settings, so this is super exciting! I see you're working with Elphie as well, I love her work. ^_^

(I STILL haven't played any of your games which is kind of unbelieveable... I literally own Requiescence and just. haven't played it. I'm kind of ashamed of myself tbh)

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#4 Post by bobconway »

People need to stop making BxB games, because I have no time to play all of these awesome things :P

1) Which character do you like the look of the most?
August, probably? But they all look both distinctive and attractive, so it's not easy to pick.

2) How likely are you to play short games (1-1.5 hours or less) if they're free?
I tend to like longer games, but I've been finding more and more recently that I don't have the required time to dedicate to them anymore. Shorter games are nice, and I'm more likely to look at free short games than longer ones (just because there's a lower barrier to downloading them, and therefore having them on hand when I do find time).

3) In historical settings where LGBT themes are involved, does avoidance of of nonacceptance/stigma themes bother you?
I think it depends on whether the game is trying to be realistic or not. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and unless the game is primarily about struggles faced by LGBT+ people in a given time or place, then it's fine to gloss over or ignore it.

4) General comments/questions?
This looks great, and I hope to check it out when it's released. (And maybe from there find time to look at your other previously-released works, which have also looked great.)

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#5 Post by Dovahkitteh »

puubutt wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:02 pm 4) General comments/questions?: so technically there is one ending right? just 2 romance routes? or are they just similar? Looking forward to the game! Not reailly into romance but I havent seen a game take place in the 20's for so long! ♥
Thanks for your comments and feedback! <3 Yes, there's technically just one harem-esque ending, but 2 romance routes that give insight into Leslie and Meyer. I think the ending will shift a little based on whose route you played last, though the theme is "understanding both sides of the story," so it's almost like Richter's done both routes in the canon ending--if that makes any sense. :lol:
Zelan wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm 3) In historical settings where LGBT themes are involved, does avoidance of of nonacceptance/stigma themes bother you?
For example, while male characters aren't making out on the streets with each other, there's no shock/horror/etc shown
during romantic confessions or flirtations—even though such behavior would be unaccepted in the 1920s.: Basically what puubutt said above. It's totally cool to explore those themes, but if you're aiming for a lighthearted story and the audience knows this, there's nothing wrong with leaving it at that. (Besides, you could always use the excuse that everyone who happens to be paying attention is tolerant - unlikely, sure, but it works.)

4) General comments/questions?: Prohibition is actually one of my favorite historical settings, so this is super exciting! I see you're working with Elphie as well, I love her work. ^_^

(I STILL haven't played any of your games which is kind of unbelieveable... I literally own Requiescence and just. haven't played it. I'm kind of ashamed of myself tbh)
Glad to hear that people don't mind a (hopefully tasteful) skirting of the issue. Historical accuracy is important and I don't think themes of nonacceptance should always be left out just cos' fiction, but it's very hard to fit into comedy and not a favorite topic of mine to focus on. XD

And yeah, Elphie is great! Her key vis is beautiful~

If you have time to play Req at some point, I'd love to hear your thoughts! <3 It's quite an old work and not up to our current standards, but a big first step!
bobconway wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:48 pm People need to stop making BxB games, because I have no time to play all of these awesome things :P

2) How likely are you to play short games (1-1.5 hours or less) if they're free?
I tend to like longer games, but I've been finding more and more recently that I don't have the required time to dedicate to them anymore. Shorter games are nice, and I'm more likely to look at free short games than longer ones (just because there's a lower barrier to downloading them, and therefore having them on hand when I do find time).
Re: BxB games, I know, right? Especially with Yaoi Jam, there's a bunch of great stuff coming up. On the other hand, I'm super happy to see the genre getting more popular and explored!

I'm the same way regarding longer games--they definitely provide more time for character development and a more fleshed-out world, but they also take more time. >.< Also a lot more time to make, haha.

Good luck with YAGS and Xenopathy, they both look great and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out :D

Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Dovah! Just wanted to stop by and say hi. *waves*

"Your Dry Delight", is it just me or are you being intentionally secretive about the plot of this VN? 8)

Which makes me think that there is some mysterious story with an predictable twist that can't be given away. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since it seems to be a detective possibly noir-ish story?

Anyways, where did you get the idea for this latest VN of yours and it's inspiration?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#7 Post by Dovahkitteh »

illuminate001 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:49 pm Hi Dovah! Just wanted to stop by and say hi. *waves*

"Your Dry Delight", is it just me or are you being intentionally secretive about the plot of this VN? 8)

Which makes me think that there is some mysterious story with an predictable twist that can't be given away. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since it seems to be a detective possibly noir-ish story?

Anyways, where did you get the idea for this latest VN of yours and it's inspiration?
Hi Illum! <3 I wouldn't call it intentionally secretive, but it's not too long a game, so I don't want to spoil too much ;3 I'd say it's focused less on mystery and more on understanding the world from different viewpoints, even if they conflict with one's sense of duty/personal code.

As for the idea--I've always really loved the 20s! It's such a cool time period and Prohibition had really fascinating effects on society. I also haven't seen many VNs set around that time, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Oh, yeah, and electroswing was something of an inspiration as well. XD

Super excited to say that we've taken Lesleigh on board as a background artist--she worked with us on a previous title, Delusion Gallery, and her backgrounds are fantastic! Here's a WIP of the detective office~

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#8 Post by Dovahkitteh »

If you haven't seen it on our blog yet, here's a CG teaser!~

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#9 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Update! Script is now complete!

It ended at almost 20,000 words exactly--longer than we originally planned, though we're pleased with the results~ We had to switch authors because of some unavoidable circumstances, but progress is still moving along nicely.

BGs and CGs are being worked on as I head into GUI design and programming! :D

Background Teaser -- Speakeasy

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#10 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Screenshots added to main post (and here)! Next up is coding and GUI, we're well on track for release!

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#11 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#12 Post by Dovahkitteh »

We're now in beta testing for Patrons for YDD! Release looks like it's coming up in the next week or so, stay tuned~

Some more screenies:

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#13 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Just released the full game!!

> Play for free on Steam! <
> Play for free on Itch.io! <

Thanks for your support <3

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#14 Post by Zelan »

Congratulations on the release!! :D I'm really excited to play this one, I think I mentioned it before on this thread but Prohibition is such an interesting era and I love stories that take place during that time period. ^_^

I'm also incredibly impressed with how quickly you released the game - how much work was completed before this thread was created?

cervineprince
Regular
Projects: Marigold VN | Barajam 2019

#15 Post by cervineprince »

Oh man I saw this around when i was looking for VNs in itch! Havent gotten around to playing it yet but it looks fun!
Image Image