Miasma Override: Fortuna [GxB][Fantasy][Free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ana
Regular

Miasma Override: Fortuna [GxB][Fantasy][Free]

#1 Post by Ana »

Twitter Itch.io

I originally posted this project in an idea thread way back in May 2016 and was anticipating a release two months later. However, there was a change in the writing direction and in the art style over the past few years. As it was originally intended, this will be an otome-like visual novel with only one route. In other words, there will still be multiple endings depending on your choices, but only one love interest.

This story follows a nun who has recently found her place at a local church. Due to stringent blood testing policies at the church, she is discovered to have dormant miasmosis, a condition that she's been hiding for years. In a dormant state, miasmosis attracts other monsters into cities and towns, and if awakened, it can cause the host to turn into a monster. After being forced to take the blood test, she now has to leave her passion and hometown for good to find a cure for herself.

Image Image

- Approximately 50,000 words. (Demo will likely have around 10,000 words)
- One love interest, but many other characters to enjoy!
- Free!
Last edited by Ana on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:37 am, edited 9 times in total.

DewDrop
Regular

Re: Miasma Override ~Songstress~ [GxB][Fantasy][Otome][Free]

#2 Post by DewDrop »

I've been meaning to reply to this post! I happened to spot this game on itch.io a while ago and its art style caught my eye, so I'm glad you're continuing with it!

First off, I really like the game's premise. I thought the passive and active effects of miasmosis were unique and an interesting plot point... The style you've used for these characters is also super pleasing to look at! It looks delicate and softly shaded (in terms of the hair specifically). As for the questions:

1. Does the idea of only one love interest bother you?

It slightly bothers me! I honestly prefer to have more than one love interest to choose from. That being said, if the one love interest is a likable and complex character, I don't mind as much (and it does prevent the story from becoming diluted!)

2. Do you prefer conflict more, or romance in otome visual novels (i.e. fluffy, not much plot stuff)?

I love romance in otome VNs, but I also appreciate having conflict! If there's only non-consequential events happening I tend to get bored/frustrated after a while, so I think I enjoy a balance of the two.

3. Which character design do you prefer more? Miss Fortune or Mercury?

I prefer Ms. Fortune's design! Her color palette is very pretty and her design appeals more to me than Mercury's (probably because she looks a bit more approachable than him; she looks open and friendly while also having a bit of attitude).

Ana
Regular

#3 Post by Ana »

@ DewDrop:
Many thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you noticed the itch io post, I didn't think anyone actually looked at it. Anywho, hair takes forever to shade but I'm happy it's being noticed lol :D

I agree, I had a different premise before (protagonist goes on a journey in a world with miasma to become a noble), but after taking some more biotechnology courses, I thought it'd be more interesting to actually kind of make the miasma exposure like a virus and to have it affect the protagonist. I want it to feed into another bigger otome project I have in mind, which actually has more than one love interest, woo hoo!!

Anywho, I definitely did want to have more than one love interest, but this couple becomes canon in the second otome project, so I didn't want to have one true ending and ignore the other love interests. Hopefully Mercury will be likeable as the story goes on! If anything, there'll be other characters that are shown pretty often and interact with the both of them. Speaking of which, I remember in your WIP thread, you asked about standalone stories for demos... This one is essentially a standalone demo with some of the love interests thrown in as side characters for the bigger project. It's also why I don't really recommend doing a whole standalone project unless it adds value/worldbuilding to your bigger VN. This VN here was supposed to be a baby project but it's taking waay waaaay longer than I thought. :cry:

That's good! I was hoping to make Miss Fortuna stand out a lot and to have Mercury sort of take the background as an every day guy who ends up evolving into something else entirely. Overall, thanks for the feedback, and hopefully I can keep it in mind when wrapping up this project and moving onto the bigger one!

animegame

#4 Post by animegame »

I do usually like multiple love interests in otome games, because there are more routes to play. However, otome games with only one love interest usually take less time to complete, so I can play the finished game sooner, and I like that. So, you could say, I don't really mind, either way.

I like romance more in visual novels, because I like sweet, fluffy scenes with the romantic partner and affectionate dialogue.

Fortuna has a softer, cuter design, and I like her style more than Mercury's.

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#5 Post by JBShields »

1. I'm okay with one love interest.

2. I like both genres. It depends on what mood I'm in.

3. Fortune's

Ana
Regular

#6 Post by Ana »

@animegame
Nice nice, there's a lot of fluffy, affectionate dialogue already, mostly Fortuna trolling Mercury though. But it's there!
@JBShields
Yeah, I feel the same. I tend to run hot and cold between plot and romance whenever consuming anime/vns/video games. Though, I do admit that I tend to favour action and whatnot more often.

~~~
UPDATE!!! I put out Unknown and Rufus. From my twitter posts, I have a feeling that many people will prefer Unknown now... :lol:
Unfortunately, Unknown isn't a dateable character. I did add some spicy dialogue between him, Fortuna and Mercury pretty often, and he will be dateable in the main otome project I've been working on (did I mention that his route in that otome project is pretty close to completion?)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

ffffffFFFFF gosh Mercury is really really hot.... like, I try not to be all shallow like this when deciding how much I like a love interest but dark-haired men with glasses will forever own my soul and also your art is just wow

haha sorry anyway

1. Does the idea of only one love interest bother you? lmao not if it's that man right there (Real answer: No, I like any number of love interests as long as they're fleshed out well.)
2. Do you prefer conflict more, or romance in otome visual novels (i.e. fluffy, not much plot stuff)?: I like a balance! Romance only gets boring, but if the two end up as a couple by the end, I definitely want to see some development there.
3. Which character do you like the most so far? aiorghkabjlk; I literally love all of them so much (especially! in! your! art! style!) but I thiiiink I'm going to have to go with Belle, she seems like a total badass.

Ana
Regular

#8 Post by Ana »

Zelan wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 pm ffffffFFFFF gosh Mercury is really really hot.... like, I try not to be all shallow like this when deciding how much I like a love interest but dark-haired men with glasses will forever own my soul and also your art is just wow

haha sorry anyway

1. Does the idea of only one love interest bother you? lmao not if it's that man right there (Real answer: No, I like any number of love interests as long as they're fleshed out well.)
2. Do you prefer conflict more, or romance in otome visual novels (i.e. fluffy, not much plot stuff)?: I like a balance! Romance only gets boring, but if the two end up as a couple by the end, I definitely want to see some development there.
3. Which character do you like the most so far? aiorghkabjlk; I literally love all of them so much (especially! in! your! art! style!) but I thiiiink I'm going to have to go with Belle, she seems like a total badass.
My internet keeps failing every time I want to send a response! This is the third time I’ve typed up this reply…

Despite all the bad luck I’ve been having, I’m super glad to hear that you’re stoked for the dark-haired glasses guy!! I really like those characters too, so I’m really glad that I’m not the only one.

I’m so happy you’ve got to watch me improve in my drawing. I feel like I’ve gotten way better than what I could do two years ago (seriously, what I drew back then was cringey LOL). I really hope to keep improving (and I’m hoping to be getting a screen tablet to make things faster sooner or later).

As for the one love interest, I’m kinda surprised to hear a different opinion on that I most people want multiple routes to choose from, but I really wanted to focus on making a coherent route with one character before I do anything bigger. I tried doing multiple routes before for this VN with Gene (I’ll post her once I draw her), but I felt that I was too biased towards Mercury/Marcis that I needed to make it have one route. Nevertheless, I am planning on doing a second VN, a much larger sequel to this which will have three or four love interests.

xKiseki
Tumblr: xseokjined

#9 Post by xKiseki »

this game looks really interesting and the art is so beautiful aaaaa i'm super excited to see how it'll turn out! good luck!!

as for the questions:
a bit? if i'm being totally honest, i prefer having a variety of love interests and i'm much more used to that -- it's much more common to have several love interests. it's less risky, especially if a player is playing a game for the romance factor (and a lot of people are) and doesn't like one of the characters, they can easily move onto another route in that case. however, i've played games before with only one love interest that have been very interesting and i've ended up liking the love interest, despite the character not being my "type". overall, it really depends on the characterisation! with an adequate amount of character development, i'm sure most people will be fine w the one love interest! :))

2. Do you prefer conflict more, or romance in otome visual novels (i.e. fluffy, not much plot stuff)?
i'm a sucker for a good story. i can sacrifice some fluff for more story, as long as the romance doesn't feel forced or sudden. if there's a focus on the conflict of the story, it would make sense that the romance develops slower and i'm totally fine with that! overall, i'd prefer a balance between the two but having conflict as a focus and romance more on the back burner is totally okay with me :))

3. Which character do you like the most so far?
fortuna fortuna fortuna fortuna fortuna ! from her character quote, she seems like she's able to hold her own and is more of a strong mc (correct me if i'm wrong lol) but that's a part of her charm. i really like her character design and i'm interested to play as her, to see how she'll deal with her life turning upside down due to her being diagnosed with miasmosis. other than fortuna, i like rufus the most, he seems friendly and funny -- traits i really like in npcs. i also like that he's (slightly) shorter than fortuna haha i can already sense the height difference jokes. all of the characters seem very interesting (mercury's quote is super relatable) so i'm really looking forward to this game! good luck with everything!

Ana
Regular

#10 Post by Ana »

xKiseki wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:13 am this game looks really interesting and the art is so beautiful aaaaa i'm super excited to see how it'll turn out! good luck!!

as for the questions:
a bit? if i'm being totally honest, i prefer having a variety of love interests and i'm much more used to that -- it's much more common to have several love interests. it's less risky, especially if a player is playing a game for the romance factor (and a lot of people are) and doesn't like one of the characters, they can easily move onto another route in that case. however, i've played games before with only one love interest that have been very interesting and i've ended up liking the love interest, despite the character not being my "type". overall, it really depends on the characterisation! with an adequate amount of character development, i'm sure most people will be fine w the one love interest! :))

i'm a sucker for a good story. i can sacrifice some fluff for more story, as long as the romance doesn't feel forced or sudden. if there's a focus on the conflict of the story, it would make sense that the romance develops slower and i'm totally fine with that! overall, i'd prefer a balance between the two but having conflict as a focus and romance more on the back burner is totally okay with me :))

3. Which character do you like the most so far?
fortuna fortuna fortuna fortuna fortuna ! from her character quote, she seems like she's able to hold her own and is more of a strong mc (correct me if i'm wrong lol) but that's a part of her charm. i really like her character design and i'm interested to play as her, to see how she'll deal with her life turning upside down due to her being diagnosed with miasmosis. other than fortuna, i like rufus the most, he seems friendly and funny -- traits i really like in npcs. i also like that he's (slightly) shorter than fortuna haha i can already sense the height difference jokes. all of the characters seem very interesting (mercury's quote is super relatable) so i'm really looking forward to this game! good luck with everything!
I finally get to reply!!! :cry:

I'm so happy you like the drawings!! They take way too long to draw :oops: hopefully the story will be good enough to back it up!!
That's good to hear on the topic of having one love interest! I just wanted to make something with one character so I don't overwhelm myself for the first game I release. I definitely agree with you on characterization - just writing one LI actually gives me a lot more freedom to think of how to write them.
I don't really know if Fortuna will actually be that strong of a character, but I tried to make her somewhat relatable. We'll see!! Rufus will definitely have a lot of jokes going for him, but probably waaaaay more in a future game (He's also dateable along with Unknown and another guy not shown here).

Update!: I think I'll finally be able to finish drawing the art for this game finally! Most of the characters are actually done by now for sprites, just haven't posted them on Lemmasoft.