Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy [Fantasy] [Kickstarter Launching + Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
peripherypro

Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy [Fantasy] [Kickstarter Launching + Demo]

#1 Post by peripherypro »

27/10/2018 -- Kickstarter 100% Funded! Aiming for Stretch Goals
10/10/2018 -- Kickstarter Officially Launched!
6/10/2018 -- Launching On Kickstarter 10th Oct 8AM EDT
30/9/2018 -- New Supporting Character Cards Added

We have officially launched our Kickstarter! Please visit the link here --- > https://kck.st/2Eay9KX

We are offering a number of limited hour rewards, including the Early Espresso Tier, which is only available in the first 48 hours

Demo Available On Itch.io.
Demo Available On Steam.

What is Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy about?

Coffee. Yes, you guessed it. It's about coffee - Cappuccino, latte, flat whites and single origin pour over coffee.

But it's not just about coffee......

It's about coffee in a steampunk fantasy world where caffeine is magical.

The Story

Taka, the protaganist, has not seen his mom since his 6th Birthday. One day he decides to embark on a journey to search for her whereabouts.

He falls off a plane after drinking a bottle of cold brew coffee given to him by a mysterious barista. This leads him to arrive at a city called Victoria, a Victorian / Steampunk alternate reality where technology is at least a century behind.

He soon finds himself in front of a coffee house called Taka Coffee House, the same coffee house he and his parents used to work and live together as one family. Desperate to understand the situation he is in, he vows to find out what happened to his parents.

But before doing so, he needs to learn about the power of caffeine. And in order to learn about the powers of caffeine, he needs to learn how to...... brew coffee.

In this journey, he's not alone, helped by 4 lead characters with amazing talents:

The Main Characters

Eliza

Favourite Coffee: Mayan Single Origin Medium Roast
Quote: "Caffeine isn't just for coffee duels, it's for building a better world. Can't everyone just live in peace and harmony with each other?"

Alice

Favourite Coffee: Actually, she prefers to tea.
Quote: "I eat sweets everyday to remind myself what happiness feels like!"

Mel

Favourite Coffee: Caramel Latte with cream on top
Quote: "I can brew 200 espressos in a day, beat that!'"

Oceane

Favourite Coffee: Anything she brews for herself - She's just that good.
Quote: "Even if you're so poor you're homeless on the streets, you still shouldn't give up on good coffee. No coffee, no life."

Supporting Characters

The visual novel also features a full array of supporting characters with rich background stories of their own:

Victoria - The City

Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy, is also a story about the city of Victoria. The world's coffee capital, and the most powerful city state in the world. Numerous background scenes have been created to portray the city and its coffee house, done to create a fully immersive environment.

Become an active participant in uncovering the history and lore of the city. Around 20,000 words have already been written dedicated to world-building ONLY - History, Geography, folklore and politics.

Why Follow Us

Story-Rich - There will be romance elements, but story is king. 20,000 words have already been written on world-building ALONE.
Choice Matters - Every choice matters. Characters will remember what you said and react accordingly in later chapters, opening up different dialogues.
Non-Branching Main Plot - From beginning to end, you get to interact with every character, while still enjoying different endings and scenarios.
Animated Sprites - All sprites have been animated in Live2D, giving you a lively experience.
Original Music Composition - Original music have been composed, to create an atmospheric victorian / steampunk / fantasy environment
We're serious about coffee - Yes, we are.

Progress

Demo - To Be Launched Late August

For now,if you want to get weekly updates, you can follow us on this page as well as on these channels:

https://www.facebook.com/caffeineVL/
http://kikaidigital.com
https://instagram.com/caffeineVL
Join Our Discord Server!

The Team

Story By - Peripherypro
Character Artist - Nori Chia
Background Artist - ExitMothership
CG Artist -
Tanuma-san
Arisa-Chibara
Music Composition -
David Salazar
Geoff Moore
Animation & Video -
WhiteCharisma

Please refer to this page for Full credits - http://kikaidigital.com/the-team/

Question:

Is this a visual novel which you are interested in?

If yes, would you like to have the opportunity to alpha test the demo?
Last edited by peripherypro on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:40 am, edited 16 times in total.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy [Fantasy][Anime][Steampunk][Coffee]

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Sounds like a really fun and unique setting! Good luck with development! Is there a romance plot, or is it more about friendship and magic coffee?
ImageImageImage

peripherypro

#3 Post by peripherypro »

parttimestorier wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 pm Sounds like a really fun and unique setting! Good luck with development! Is there a romance plot, or is it more about friendship and magic coffee?
Hi Parttimestorier,

Yes there will be a romance plot. 4 options with their own sub-plots.

Besides magic coffee and romance though, the story is also an exploration on how history, social norms and society will differ from the real world when caffeine is given this magical ability, that's why emphasize has been put on building up the lore and history in this unique setting.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#4 Post by AntiquedFae »

I remember this--congratulations on getting so much done to bring it to life! It looks absolutely fantastic. :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

peripherypro

#5 Post by peripherypro »

Update:

The Game Trailer is now available

Feedback is much appreciated.

We will also be launching our Coming Soon Steam Store Page in a couple of days. Next week screenshots of our new GUI will also be available.
AntiquedFae wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 pm I remember this--congratulations on getting so much done to bring it to life! It looks absolutely fantastic. :D
Thanks AntiquedFae,

Appreciate the response and feedback!

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

#6 Post by rito »

This looks amazing, and that's something coming from me considering I have caffeine hypersensitivity, haha. I especially love the music and the backgrounds, which shows how much effort you've put into bringing the setting to life! The only criticism I have is the beginning of the trailer is really hard to read. Please keep up the good work!
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by philip »

@peripherypro-

Just watched the trailer . . . the artwork, with its vibrant colors, is terrific, and the premise of the game sounds like fun. I'll be looking forward to the demo!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#8 Post by JBShields »

Looks like it'll be good.

peripherypro

#9 Post by peripherypro »

A teaser from the prologue of Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy. This 4 minute and 30 second sequence probably took the longest time to create, but it was well worth it in the end.

The 4:30 minutes cloud sequence acts as the introduction to the world of caffeine, with beautiful vocals by Jordan Fox, as well as beautifully drawn cloud layers by ExitMothership.

peripherypro

Re: Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy [Fantasy][Anime] DEMO Available

#10 Post by peripherypro »

Exclusive Soft Launch Announcement on LemmaForums Only!
Demo Now Available On Itch.io.

• Animated Sprites For ALL Characters.
  • 8 Custom Soundtracks
  • High resolution (1920x1080) backgrounds and sprites
  • Unique Story. 50,000+ words in Demo. 1.5 hours of gameplay.
We hope you like it, please leave us some feedback. Your feedback is important for us to further improve this game, and will help us to prepare our Kickstarter launch in October!

Questions:
  • Who was your favourite main character? (Eliza, Mel, Alice and Oceane) Why?
  • Who was your favourite supporting character? Why?
  • Which part of the story was most memorable?
  • Which part of the story felt like it was dragging on?
  • Were there any parts in the story where you felt engaged and simply wanted more?

traineroflegend

#11 Post by traineroflegend »

I've gotten to the point where you meet Eliza in the library. Overall, I found it very enjoyable. The production values are high, and it becomes apparent early-on that this is a step above most OELVNs. Seeing a story centered so much on coffee was pure joy. I love drinking espresso and find it to be one of the most magical parts of my day. A story that makes the magic of caffeine as a central plot point? Sign me up!

Some comments:

- My biggest piece of constructive criticism is that the writing needs more editing. The biggest blunder I saw was that Eliza's name was spelled as "Eilza", so every time she spoke the error came up. There were other things, like "spreaded like fireworks" (should be "spread"), a sentence starting with the numbers 15 (so maybe change "15 days" to "Fifteen days"). The writing is also filled with run-on sentences, where we have paragraphs consisting of one sentence. You can cut this down by adding more periods. If you take anything away from this post, I think it should be this.

- Opening sequence confused me for the first minute. I saw from the artwork that it was a steampunk adventure, but finding myself in present-day at the beginning surprised me. I don't necessarily think you need to change anything, though.

- The song was nice! That intro sequence was very well done.

- After you wake up and the game gives you the option of going over the previous day's events, I was a little confused as to the impact. How much would I be skipping if I choose to skip the scene? There's choices present in this flashback. Would skipping deprive me any potential "points"? If the sequence you're giving us a chance to speak is short (if it covers everything from him waking up to coming back to see this Constantine guy), then maybe you can avoid any potential confusion by always including it. Skipping a chunk is good for additional playthroughs, but the Skip button does that just as well.

- I thought the framing was excellent. Protagonist is sent to this world that is somehow connected to his past, thus motivating him to discover more. I'm excited to see more.

- The characters seem to be steering away from cliches, which I appreciate.

I enjoyed it. If I don't choose to support the Kickstarter, I would still be willing to buy it when it comes out.

peripherypro

#12 Post by peripherypro »

Hi Traineroflegend,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you find the story enjoyable. Please do let me know your final thoughts when you get a chance to finish the demo, either through PM or replying to this thread.

Thanks for pointing out the writing issues, especially with Eliza's name. I've updated the build on itch.io once you pointed that out, the name should be correct in future downloads. I'll also review the run-on sentences in future updates.

Also in regards to the flashback. I have been debating on whether to remove the option or not, but have decided to leave that decision till after the demo launch. If I get more feedback that it's confusing, I will consider removing it and make the story more linear.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by philip »

@peripherypro-

Just went through this for the first time on my mac; the background art and sprites are nicely colorful and marvelously done. The story is interesting, and I am anxious to see the conclusion. Well done so far!!

One suggestion: It would be nice if there were more save slots, as I like to save at each choice, so that I can go back at any decision point and explore another route.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

peripherypro

#14 Post by peripherypro »

@philip

Thanks for playing!. I'm glad you liked the game. I'll keep that in mind for the save slots, we're definitely going to add more of them for the full release.

Also on another note, Steam has approved the demo and the game is now also available on Steam!

peripherypro

#15 Post by peripherypro »

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since our last update, but a lot has happened since and we hope to give you some major updates:

There will be a Let's Read Session for Caffeine: Victoria's Legacy on Discord's Visual Novel server at 9pm CDT Tonight. If you're interested please attend with the demo downloaded and ready. More details can be found here

We now also have an official Twitter Account. We aim to update Twitter everyday, so if you want to get more frequent updates, please follow us.

We've also been experimenting with different camera angles to enrich our storytelling. Here are some GIFs to showcase a few examples, but I promise there will be more!

Using camera lens blur to focus on Alice's sad expressions.

Using angular camera movement to emphasize different characters during their dialogues.

We're aiming to launch our Kickstarter in October!
Currently the preview page is up. If you have any feedback we would like to hear about it! Also, please follow our project or bookmark the page to get the Early Bird special when it launches!