2050_Open_World_RPG [ExE] *Working Title*

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
rapidlyprototyping

2050_Open_World_RPG [ExE] *Working Title*

#1 Post by rapidlyprototyping »

Hey folks just curious about the interest level for an open-world sandbox game set in a near-future world slightly stylized for futurism, not cyberpunk. The gameplay would consist of the typical action (car-jacking, third-person cover shooter, first-person aim down sights, melee combat, racing, etc.), but hope to tread new ground with the level of interactivity within the world and emergent player-driven story creation. This is a single-player only title, co-op maybe eventually but an afterthought.

I will be exploring simulating many facets of roleplaying gameplay and attempting to advance interactivity and sociability with NPC AI, and depth of interactivity with the world. The design direction trends towards fun realism, i.e. an actual inventory vs. a radial menu with an arsenal of 20 guns on you at all times. Or vehicle ownership, vs. just stealing and storing one in your garage. Alternate ways to make money, not just criminal activity.

As I've said this game seems like a large task, but I think creating a demo isn't out of reach. I am a 3d artist and programmer and I may work with a few freelancers on and off. Progress is being made towards the demo so none is ready to show, but I have some concept art from a bit of world building practice. See if you like any of it.

Concept Art

Anime piece was commissioned long ago from an artist who was referencing the 2nd picture, was thinking of doing visual novel style dialogue with avatars or characters... but I might as well just try and get some facial animations in there since I have 3d assets might as well use them and not mix styles.

If anyone cares to support, links in the cig.

Question : You are cryo-frozen next year and wake up in 2050, what is the first thing you do when you are let out of the cryo facility?