Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Demo][Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lunaniere
Tumblr: lunaniereofficial
itch: lunaniere

Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Demo][Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

#1 Post by Lunaniere »

Hi, Lemmasoft community! We're here to share our Kickstarter campaign that is now live!
Meeting you seemed nothing more than just a passing phase to me.

But as the colors slowly drain from the leaves under our feet and rain turns into snow, I find myself drawn to you.

So then why, as we get closer… As we fall in love… Do your eyes tell such a sad tale?

Backers who backed the campaign for the iOS version, fret not! It will definitely be available. However, due to Apple's fairly rigorous and extensive testing stage for apps, it will take a little more time before it's available for all to try the demo on the store.

With some luck, it will be available during the campaign period!
Will be available on the App Store. Click the icon to go to our Itch page for the download!
Pending Steam Approval - Get it DRM free on Itch first!

Tested on mobile! (Mockups for backers' to understand the orientation and layout. There is no difference in content or navigation between the mobile version and the computer versions)

Question: I'm worried that the Live2D feature in the game will lag out my phone! Why did you put in Live2D?

Answer: Right, we completely understand your concern! Though we're using parts of the Live2D software to show you the animations, we're mainly doing it with movie clips. So, you know how the old animations are done - by flipping a page filled with various frames? That's essentially what we're doing instead of loading in an entire model. Each individual movie clip is less than 1MB in size compared to an original model that would be hundreds of MBs to load. We tested it on phones as old as Samsung S5s, so we're pretty confident!

Please report bugs for both the Desktop and Mobile versions through this link here!
On that fateful night, little did you know that a simple wish and a careless “yes” would turn your entire world upside down.

The reality you once knew has been replaced with one you’ve only seen in games and movies… The only difference? You’re the character and life is the player.

As time slowly ticks down to the pivotal choice you’ll have to make, will you be able to survive the in-betweens? And can you say goodbye to the ones who matter most?

From Lunaniere, a brand new subsidiary of Afterthought Studios, comes a 40-hour long epic of a girl from modern Tokyo who has slipped back in time and right into the end of an era, bearing witness to the fall of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the war that followed in its wake.

With lives, her survival, and her heart at stake, will this 21st-century city girl ever find a way back?

Experience romance and intrigue in the time of the legendary Boshin War through Lunaniere’s immersive writing, artwork, and soundtrack!
Choose your MC's look
As well as naming your character, you'll have three different sprites to choose from! Two of the possible MC designs are modeled after the likeness of real life cosplayers, Rea Kami and Etsuko.

Animated Sprites
Bringing the world of Wishes in Pen to life for you with memorable characters, plot, and designs is our primary goal - so we decided to take it one step further with animated sprites and background art! We promised you a visual novel and we intend to deliver, in every sense of the genre!
Animated Backgrounds
The little touches to a visual novel are what really lend it a personalized appeal. Knowing this, we have taken the effort to animate all of our background art. Watch the video below— a playlist consisting of three different backgrounds— and see for yourself!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3kLYM0iLJhg?list=PL2r3 ... uNLSt0RVY-[/youtube]

Gorgeous OST
Of course, it's only fitting that a story set in such a culturally rich period of Japanese history would have the music to reflect it. The soundrack of Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August is composed by THEM3 Studios, which also worked on the critically acclaimed When Our Journey Ends.

Listen to some snippets of it below!

https://soundcloud.com/lunaniere-official

40 hours of immersive gameplay
With graphics you won't want to take your eyes off of and music to set the mood just right, allow yourself to become engrossed in 40 hours worth of story, including differing text based on the decisions you make, with over 3 possible endings per route!
Making a game is never easy, and making a great game is even harder - but all of us here at Lunaniere are determined to deliver. Above, you'll find a chart detailing everything we need to do just that. (Keep in mind that the numbers have been rounded up, so it's not exactly 100%!)

Programming and user interface
Visual novels may seem simple, but with all of WiP's choices and with 3 endings per character, one misstep in programming can lead to bad gameplay. Coding is the backbone of the game, so we want to make sure it's completely polished. We also want to make sure the user interface isn't clunky - you should be able to play the game with the least amount of hitches possible.

Character and background art
We want all of WiP to be memorable, and that includes our background art and our colorful cast - so every detail in our game is meticulously decided to bring both modern and historical Japan to life. Through period-accurate styles with a tinge of creative license, our artists ensure that the personalities of every character you meet and bond with and of every place you visit throughout your journey shines through their design.

Writing
What's a pretty game without a good story? Our gorgeous graphics are there to complement what we hope will an engaging plot, and WiP will have an estimated 300,000 - 400,000 words across 5 routes. We're working hard to make sure every route is different but no less special for our players.

Music
As mentioned above, WiP's soundtrack is composed by THEM3 Studios, and if you want to hear some of the samples, just scroll up under the Gorgeous OST section! Also, our vocal songs are licensed so this will help with licensing costs!
Finally, a message to all of you:

Thank you.

All of this is only possible because of you. Whether you've been keeping up with us since our first announcement, or you've just stumbled upon our Kickstarter and have decided to follow us, whether you've donated one dollar or a hundred, whether you've supported us monetarily or simply by spreading the word and showing excitement and enthusiasm for our game. We thank you, truly.

It definitely isn't easy; the planning, the drafting, the sketching, the editing and finalizing and everything else that goes into making a game, as well as the level of organization and coordination required to make it all work can be overwhelming. But you all make it easier.

We hope that with your backing, we will be able to create a game that exceeds your expectations. Please continue to support us, and once again, thank you.

With love, Team Luna

You can find all the staff involved with the project on the Kickstarter page!
Last edited by Lunaniere on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CeeCeeVA
Regular
Projects: Celflux Animation as the voice of Shandrita
Tumblr: CeeCeeVA

Re: Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

#2 Post by CeeCeeVA »

O.M.G! The storyline and the artwork is absolutely gorgeous!! ❤️❤️
Voice Actress, Casting Director, Writer & Director

https://ceeceeva.wixsite.com/chasityconner

Animation Demo Reel:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10plH50 ... p=drivesdk

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

Lunaniere

Re: Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

#3 Post by Lunaniere »

CeeCeeVA wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm O.M.G! The storyline and the artwork is absolutely gorgeous!! ❤️❤️
Thank you! :D

Lunaniere

Re: Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Demo][Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

#4 Post by Lunaniere »

HI EVERYONE!

Just a few things to share, we're currently one of the most popular games on Itch.io right now for the Android category! Thank you to everyone who made it possible!

If you're still on the fence for the game, wait no longer!

Geek Culture (Meeting Cute Boys, And Trying Not To Get Killed In This Japanese Time Travel Visual Novel): https://geekculture.co/meeting-cute-boy ... ual-novel/

"...if you’re interested in the visual novel genre and are on the hunt for a new title, this one can be a good one to try out."

MeliZBeauty:
https://youtu.be/8-hLXsAszas

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Wishes in Pen: Chrysanthemums in August [Demo][Otome] [Kickstarter] [Time Slip] [Romance] [Historical]

#5 Post by philip »

@lunaniere-

Just downloaded the demo through itch.io to my mac. Got to the first screen (Change your player name) and can't get past it; no matter where I click, nothing happens!

Based on the title screen, the art is marvelous, and I'd really like to give the demo a try . . . HELP! (Please?)

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Lunaniere

#6 Post by Lunaniere »

philip wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm @lunaniere-

Just downloaded the demo through itch.io to my mac. Got to the first screen (Change your player name) and can't get past it; no matter where I click, nothing happens!

Based on the title screen, the art is marvelous, and I'd really like to give the demo a try . . . HELP! (Please?)

philip
Hi Philip, can I check you're using the latest build available on Itch? Do you have screenshots available for your issue?

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

#7 Post by Empish »

Hey Philip, did you make sure you entered both a first and a last name? The confirm button to move on won't be enabled until you do that.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by philip »

The name page won't let me enter ANYTHING . . . not even one character.

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

nekobara
Regular

#9 Post by nekobara »

philip wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm The name page won't let me enter ANYTHING . . . not even one character.

philip
Click somewhere inside the first box, and type in the name you want. Even if the cursor isn't showing up, it should work. And then do the same in the second box. Then you should be able to press the confirm button. Hopefully this helps and you'll be able to play it now!
*meow*

Lunaniere

#10 Post by Lunaniere »

philip wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm The name page won't let me enter ANYTHING . . . not even one character.

philip
I've let the programmer know and we'll take a look at solving this bug!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by philip »

Thanks to Impish and nekobara for their suggestions. And thanks also to Lunaniere for his response to my question. A third download of the story seemed to solve my problem, and I was able to play through the demo. I HATE computers!

The backgrounds and sprites, with their vivid coloration, are outstanding and the story line is interesting as well. I can't help but feel a little sorry for the protagonist as everything seems to be going the wrong way for her. I will look forward to future updates.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Lunaniere

#12 Post by Lunaniere »

That's great to hear, @philip! Just a reminder we're at our LAST WEEK of fund raising for Wishes in Pen!