The Alien of The Occult Club [SoL, Drama] [G/G]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
RoseGardenGames
Regular
Projects: The Alien of The Occult Club
Organization: Rose Garden Games
itch: rosegardengames

The Alien of The Occult Club [SoL, Drama] [G/G]

#1 Post by RoseGardenGames »

The Alien of The Occult Club is a visual novel in which you join transfer student Ichiko Popopokopo as she sets out to start her new school life, make friends, pursue her movie making dreams, and more.

Greetings and salutations, anyone and everyone that's come to this thread! I'm Justiguy of Rose Garden Games, and this is The Alien of The Occult Club.

In The Alien of The Occult Club, you'll be taking on the role of Ichiko Popopokopo, a student transferring into to Zealgood Academy, a school specifically for the pursuit of pretty much all things creative. She dreams of making movies like the many, many movies that have all inspired her, and if all goes well, my plan is that the player will have a hand in the kinds of assignments she works on towards chasing that goal.

On that note, my current plan is for there to be branching storylines that you will be able to explore alongside an ongoing one that goes on regardless of your choices, but whether or not I'll be able to do that will ultimately depend on how well I'm able to handle Visual Novel Maker. Suffice to say, chances are that at least some of these plans are likely to change.

In the meantime, I'd love any advice or feedback I could get on what I've got now, especially when it comes to the written aspect of TAOTOC as that's really where my main focus has been - though comments regarding any aspect of the game are most definitely welcome here!

You can download The Alien of The Occult Club on its itch.io page here for Windows, Linux, and Mac. There are screenshots of the game's latest build on the game's itch.io page if you'd like to see those, so in the meanwhile, here are the character bios I've made thus far for the game's cast (with more to come!):

------------------------------------------------------------

1. Did you enjoy the demo? Was there anything in particular that made it more or less enjoyable for you?

2. What did you think about the protagonist? Did you enjoy when the game let her go on about things from her perspective, or do you think it was better when she was interacting with others more than with herself?

3. What did you think about the other characters? What did you think about how the protagonist interacted with the other characters? Were these things you enjoyed, and if not, is there anything that stands out to you as a way they might be improved?

4. Would you play a future update/completed version of the game?

5. Does the game's premise interest you? How does the execution hold up (so far)?

6. Was there any specific scene that you enjoyed or disliked more than another?

7. Was there any specific character that you might want to see more or less of?

8. How does everything look and sound to you? Did the game work and run properly?

9. If you came upon this thread and are deciding not to download, I'd still love to hear from you! Is there anything that made you feel that way in particular? Am I selling the game poorly? Maybe I've lost you, but I'd still love to hear what you think all the same!

10. I've asked you a lot of questions, so now I'm turning the table around: Is there anything you want to know about the game? Heck, is there anything you'd like to see?
Last edited by RoseGardenGames on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Check out my current project, The Alien of The Occult Club! Image

RoseGardenGames
Regular

Re: The Alien of The Occult Club [Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama]

#2 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hello again everyone!

After receiving and then implementing some feedback I got on the game, I've completely remade the game's introduction! In this new version, you'll meet members of the cast much sooner, and I think everything moves a more smoothly for the player.

Check it out here on itch.io!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#3 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hello again, everyone! A bit of a hefty update will be coming up soon! The game's logo has been changed, and with it a lot of the UI has had to be changed with it.

In the meantime, I've also released a video showcasing the game's cast and some of its settings, which you can watch in the original post - and here's pretty much most of the game's cast for you to look at:

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#4 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Greetings once more, citizens! This afternoon I posted the latest major update to the game, version 0.03101, which is about twice as long as what was available before. There are now many more choices available as well, so be sure to check those out! Download the game here or in the original post above!

I've also been posting about the game and its development every so often on the Rose Garden Games blog, and last week I uploaded a fun little video showcasing some of the things you'll be able to expect in the game as well! Enjoy, and as thanks for stopping by, enjoy this preview as well!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#5 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hello again, everyone! The Alien of The Occult Club has been updated to a new version, with builds available for Windows, Mac, and Linux!

This update is largely one of polish, with background and color adjustments having been made to many scenes, though many scenes have also been added and/or completed since the last update as well, so there's still quite a bit of new content to find around here as well. Probably a lot more than I'm giving credit, honestly, but that's besides the point.

You can download the game through any of the links to its itch.io page elsewhere in this thread, and if you've any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here or deliver them to me however you prefer!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

Re: The Alien of The Occult Club [Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama, Romance Options]

#6 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Greetings everyone! Unfortunately some files were left out of 0.03201 and some things weren't working right and so I put out a quick update to fix all that. You might not even notice anything (except the new scene that's now there), but in any case, 0.03202 is now live!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

Re: The Alien of The Occult Club [Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama, Romance Options]

#7 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hello all! The Alien of the Occult Club is now on version 0.03211, bringing some bug fixes as well as more story to the table. Some early parts of the game have been rewritten and changed to flow better as well, so if you've already played some, you might want to double back and see how the first part of Ichiko's day looks even so.

Thanks for stopping by! Farewell!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#8 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hey again, everyone! The game's gotten another hefty update as of last night. There's an overhauled introduction, new backgrounds, some CGs (of sorts), and more!

Hopefully by the next update, we'll have progressed a bit more, but I'm pretty happy with this one all the same. Until next time!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

Re: The Alien of The Occult Club [SoL, Drama] [G/G]

#9 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Hello, and Happy New Year('s Eve) everyone! I've updated the thread title a bit, but more importantly, I've posted a post on my blog talking about this past year in development and some of what I'm hoping for in the year to come. I hope you'll check it out!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#10 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Greetings all! I come with a gift for the New Year- The first update to TAOTOC of 2019! I've gone into a bit more detail about just what that entails over on itch.io, but for those of you following along, the short version is this: some things have been moved, others are gone, and others will be back later!

RoseGardenGames
Regular

#11 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Want to get to know the cast of The Alien of the Occult Club? Well now you can!

... well, most of them, anyway.

That's right- This is what TAOTOC's cast looks like, if you want to get a nice look. Pretty neat, huh?