The Villaintine: Sepia [FREE, GxB, Otome/Friendship] [DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

The Villaintine: Sepia [FREE, GxB, Otome/Friendship] [DEMO]

#1 Post by niannn »

[ NOTE: The Villaintine: Sepia is a sequel to the Visual Novel titled, The Villaintine. Please check it out first before downloading this VN. ]
DEMO NOW IN ITCH.IO!
After agreeing on limiting herself to three days instead of her usual two-weeks stay on her assigned Villaintine's place, the Princess reveals her true intentions to the Villain as early as possible (saves the time in explaining things and acting nice). He did accept the deal but still persistently tries to communicate with her. And it's supposed to be all good and all, three days now looks good enough as a goal.

Apparently, three days are not enough. Especially, when she sees dead flowers coming back to life and it triggers a memory of trying to pick some but watch as it wilts in her hands. She can't possibly let this slide and not ask. But who knows asking for something as simple as 'Why are these flowers blooming?' can lead to being The Villain's wingman. While that might sound simple, it's only simple if she doesn't get too attached.

[ temporarily alias-able ]

"If I'm tenth, you guys will always be a rank higher than I am."

Currently ranked Tenth for the Top Advocates. Seen as prim and proper. Can't say 'No' to anything so people usually ask her for favors or makes her do things that she might not want to do (she often finds this interesting though).

ATTRIBUTES: dislikes anything too sweet | can easily smile | may sound self-sacrificing | maybe frank and straightforward | might have a no-nonsense personality

[ his real intentions might appear sometimes ]

"I'm a pretty good conversationalist if I say so myself."

The Princess's assigned Villaintine with a rather mysterious track record of four princesses assigned to him. Seems friendly and harmless. He seems to like smiling a lot.

ATTRIBUTES: Always looks happy | Early bird | Always amused | May talk nonstop if no one stops him | Annoyingly persistent | May have an obsessive crush on a Past Princess assigned to him

• Mini GUI customizations
  • Unlockable Extras Section
  • Playable in Windows, Mac, and Linux
  • Digital Character Sprites (cute ?)
  • CGs and Chibis
  • the mentioning of the 'Baby Names Book'
  • a princess impersonating the cat-masked lady
  • pastry (what's a strawberry?)
  • serious mini prologue
  • 5000 words
  • Check the full list of credits here.
  • Look forward to devlogs for more updates! (you can stalk my twitter if you want to as well, I'm mostly active there).
  • If you find a bug, don't hesitate to tell me and take a screenshot if possible.
  • Thank you for taking the time to download and play this VN, please look forward to the full release :D
Updates:
  • Chapter 2 Writing Done. New Main Menu Sneak Peek and Other Shenanigans : September Devlog
  • Chapter 2 transferred to script. Chapter 3 writing at 50% : November Devlog
Last edited by niannn on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Re: The Villaintine: Sepia [FREE, GxB, Otome/Friendship] [DEMO]

#2 Post by skyeworks »

I love this demo! I was so surprised at how different this heroine is to the Gwen! I love her design and her interaction with this villain! Her ugh expression just makes me laugh! (Though I really do adore Gwen.) I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME

I do think though you might have to increase your tolerances in the cutscene, the color is not meeting the lines all the way so it leaves whitish grey lines around the outline Example: see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1386270

Though the digital art is very nice though! and I love the art<3 I do adore the old art but the new one is pretty nice as well!

niannn
Regular

#3 Post by niannn »

Thank you so much :D I'm glad that you find the heroine interesting ~ (I'm kind of nervous about her since I know that a lot of people loved the previous MC, Gwyn.) And yes, I love her ugh expression as well xD it's my most favorite expression out of all her expressions xD

As for the white outlines, thanks for the link (it gives me an image as to what you're trying to define since I didn't exactly get the term 'tolerances' first hand, my bad). Although, I'm actually using Medibang Paint Pro (cause it's free and I have no money xD) so it's different for that. I do have the a solution to that though so some cutscenes would look cleaner than the others (and I didn't save the file for the ones with whitish grey lines around the outline so oops, but I'll try to work around that).

Anyways, once again, thank you for loving the art (althoughI'mreallyanoobatdigitalartso) and for giving this VN a chance!
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#4 Post by skyeworks »

The heroine is amazing. :D I love seeing her bounce off with the villain, Like her snarkyness and with him going back and forth was really fun dialogue!

haha, Sorry about the photoshop link, I just used that because it's the first image that popped up. (I got cs6 for free because someone brought it for me otherwise I would have been using gimp.)

Haha, it's doesn't seem like you are a noob at digital art though! It really looks nice! OH! that just reminds me! I LOVE the save screen, I was marveling at how the flowers actually moved when I saved!

niannn
Regular

#5 Post by niannn »

Yep, the snarky interactions, I love this kind of characters and interactions so it's really comfortable to write, I'm glad you like their interactions xD (muhaha more to follow). And no, the photoshop link is alright, I didn't really specifically state what I'm using and I get that commonly people either use Photoshop or Paint Tool Sai (I'll see if I can use this reference though and I considered Gimp as an alternative to Photoshop but somewhere along the way I found some free programs and one of them is Medibang Paint Pro. I do have some experience using Photoshop CC, but if I compare it to Medibang, I will choose Medibang because it doesn't lag as much as Photoshop CC does so...)!

And uh, thank you for the compliments! (I will still probably see myself as a noob but oh well, thanks!) As for the save screen, I take inspiration in some VNs I played recently (if you want to apply it too, you can do it if you're using the new GUI, just change the idle and the hover image for the slots in the gui folder). Anyways, thank you once again ^^
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#6 Post by skyeworks »

YESSSSS. more dialogue please! Photoshop is great but it's like great for everything but not specialized, I would use sai for drawing because photoshop is not specializing in drawing. Like people use it for photo editing but there's just a ton of resources when you get stuck, I wouldn't buy photoshop because of the subscription service stinks (huge rant sorry.. ) And I checked on medibang pro, it's definitely very specialized and it's a smooth program! I never heard it of it but wow, it's pretty awesome!(Also, I noticed you are Filipino and I'm like why are every Filipino I meet such good artists?!?)

Ooooh! Is it that easy? I might just do that for the new GUI for a future project! (not K911 because I chose this kind of save screen to mirror old ds games. (the long save screens) the beeping noise when they "talk", Plus I'm kinda stuck on what to animate haha.)

niannn
Regular

#7 Post by niannn »

I see. I see. Yep, more dialogue indeed. And once again, thank you for the compliment (although I don't really see myself as a good artist just yet but thank you xD) Yep, the new GUI is easy to understand so far (although I did have a hard time knowing what to implement or change, I kind of just tinkered a bit. Some of the references so far are outdated that it didn't help me at first when it came out. However, right now, new postings are coming up that helps guide peeps on how to tinker with the new GUI). (as for the K9-11, I think your GUI did have its own charm and I think what you want to emulate fits in well with the overall story.)
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#8 Post by skyeworks »

I hope you don't mind but I drew some fanart of Lindy! As we first seen her, lol.

niannn
Regular

#9 Post by niannn »

skyeworks wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 pm I hope you don't mind but I drew some fanart of Lindy! As we first seen her, lol.
ASDFGHJKL xD I don't mind at all! I'm actually happy to see some fanart! Now, if you don't mind, can I share this one (after you attach some signature or so...)?
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#10 Post by skyeworks »

niannn wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 am ASDFGHJKL xD I don't mind at all! I'm actually happy to see some fanart! Now, if you don't mind, can I share this one (after you attach some signature or so...)?
Here you go, I was trying for the longest time to just attach one using imgur but apparently, you can't do it on mobile.

So here's one in my dorky handwriting (Can't really write very well digitally lol.)

niannn
Regular

#11 Post by niannn »

Thank you! xD that extra doodle really fits Lindy's character!
Image Image ImageImage