BAKED:MAGIC [GxG][Free][Complete]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

BAKED:MAGIC [GxG][Free][Complete]

#1 Post by Red-Baby »

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
The story of a bakery, two witches, a knight, and some muffins.

BAKED:MAGIC is a light-hearted story about Lana, a witch that owns a bakery.
She recently took on an apprentice that is eager to learn how to bake delicious muffins using magic.
They are frequented by their 'number 1 customer' who is a royal knight.
Learn how Lana deals with love, life, rejection, and acceptance.
Play through the four days of her life ending with a single big event.

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

PLAY THE FULL GAME via ITCH.IO

CHARACTERS

More available here
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
FEATURES
Some custom music tracks
Diverse LGBT+ cast
Point and click mini games
Branching dialogues determined by your choices
Animated visuals
Custom sound effects
COMPLETELY FREE

CREDITS
Writing and Coding: Red
Proofreader: nerupuff
Art: Red (w/ resources from Freepik.com)
Chibis: thiskidthatkid
Music: Shoko (& extra tracks from Tim Reichert & Kevin MacLeod)
SFX: Diatonicnerds

Special thanks to the following for help with coding, art advice, beta testing, and more:
Ertal, Aleema, Diatonicnerds, Timepatches, various people from the Ren'Py discord chat
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Questions:
1. What do you think of the characters? Are they likeable?
2. What is your opinion on the point and click mini games?
3. What did you think about the ending?
Last edited by Red-Baby on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen

Re: BAKED:MAGIC [GxG][Yuri Jam][Free][Demo]

#2 Post by Red-Baby »

Here's a screenshot from the demo =D
Yes I would like something to help me sleep please.
Untitled.png

I'm nearly done with the script and I've already started coding the rest of the game.
I'm still looking for people to help out with this project though, so if you're a chibi artist or a composer please let me know if you're interested to join.

nerupuff
Veteran

#3 Post by nerupuff »

Hi! I was finally able to try it out!

It was a short demo, but I really liked it! The art is super cute. I love the backgrounds and the sprites. The GIF animations were such a refreshing sight to see as well!

> I think I like all of them a whole lot! Lana really comes off as wise, but knows how to have good fun. I felt the secondhand embarrassment when I made her pick the 1st choice while talking to Jayne, lol. Elliot is adorable. I have high hopes for her. Meanwhile, Jayne comes off as mysterious, and I'd like to find out more about her, given that she didn't have that much screentime in the demo.

2. What aspects of the demo do you like and what do you think needs improvement?
> I liked the point-and-click feature you've got! I'm looking forward to more of it. Interactive features like that really keep my attention on the game after a long dialogue. However, I did notice that the game triggers Lana's dialogue saying that we've found all of the ingredients when all I've found was the peppermint, clicking it 3 times (sorry I tend to forget what I've already clicked T_T). Perhaps there could be a fix for that?

Overall, good job! I'm also quite curious about the unnamed character at the end. I can't wait for this game to be complete! ^^ Good luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#4 Post by Red-Baby »

nerupuff wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 am Hi! I was finally able to try it out!

It was a short demo, but I really liked it! The art is super cute. I love the backgrounds and the sprites. The GIF animations were such a refreshing sight to see as well!

> I think I like all of them a whole lot! Lana really comes off as wise, but knows how to have good fun. I felt the secondhand embarrassment when I made her pick the 1st choice while talking to Jayne, lol. Elliot is adorable. I have high hopes for her. Meanwhile, Jayne comes off as mysterious, and I'd like to find out more about her, given that she didn't have that much screentime in the demo.

2. What aspects of the demo do you like and what do you think needs improvement?
> I liked the point-and-click feature you've got! I'm looking forward to more of it. Interactive features like that really keep my attention on the game after a long dialogue. However, I did notice that the game triggers Lana's dialogue saying that we've found all of the ingredients when all I've found was the peppermint, clicking it 3 times (sorry I tend to forget what I've already clicked T_T). Perhaps there could be a fix for that?

Overall, good job! I'm also quite curious about the unnamed character at the end. I can't wait for this game to be complete! ^^ Good luck!

Thanks so much for the feedback!!
Thanks for pointing out the problem with the searching game!! Someone else also recently told me about it. I'll work on fixing that soon.
I'm glad you like the little animations (I worked so hard trying to code them in TwT it makes me happy that someone appreciates them)

nerupuff
Veteran

#5 Post by nerupuff »

Red-Baby wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am Thanks so much for the feedback!!
Thanks for pointing out the problem with the searching game!! Someone else also recently told me about it. I'll work on fixing that soon.
I'm glad you like the little animations (I worked so hard trying to code them in TwT it makes me happy that someone appreciates them)
No problem! And yes, the little animations really do help make things look lively ^^ It's my first to see something like that done in a VN (heh, perhaps I have yet to play so much more). Wishing you the best of luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#6 Post by Red-Baby »

Forgot to post this earlier, but here's a WIP of the last background needed for the game.
When this is done it means I'll have all the needed backgrounds~!! Hooray!
Castle background WIP.png

Red-Baby
Veteran

#7 Post by Red-Baby »

We're getting chibis!!!! Hooray.
I'll be able to post samples later in the month =]

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#8 Post by Draziya »

Yes! I think all of the characters so far are likeable.

I like how Lana is calm and collected, but still has an attitude to her. Her personality is distinct from Jayne, despite them both being quite composed, which is nice to see.

There's something very endearing about Elliot's shortcomings, which I find nice. It's very easy to write a character like that and have them be annoying, and I didn't feel that way about her.

Jayne seems dependable and hardworking, and I can see why Lana might be inclined to flirt with her, even if it doesn't work out.

The point and click aspect is quite nice, and really enhances the reality of the bakery if that makes sense. That Lana knows what she's doing, and that a bakery like this could actually exist.

I like the small touches. Everything from the game starting with the store's wares being placed down shelf by shelf, to the fact that when Elliot leaves the screen, she vanishes in front of the door in the background.

I also like the worldbuilding. It all felt natural and not like exposition. I am interested to know more about the War and the world they live in!

If I had to pick something to improve, it would probably be the way the animated flame disappears. It kinda just, flies off at an odd angle. But other than that, can't wait to see the full product!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#9 Post by Red-Baby »

Draziya wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 am 1. What do you think of the characters? Are they likeable?

Yes! I think all of the characters so far are likeable.

I like how Lana is calm and collected, but still has an attitude to her. Her personality is distinct from Jayne, despite them both being quite composed, which is nice to see.

There's something very endearing about Elliot's shortcomings, which I find nice. It's very easy to write a character like that and have them be annoying, and I didn't feel that way about her.

Jayne seems dependable and hardworking, and I can see why Lana might be inclined to flirt with her, even if it doesn't work out.

The point and click aspect is quite nice, and really enhances the reality of the bakery if that makes sense. That Lana knows what she's doing, and that a bakery like this could actually exist.

I like the small touches. Everything from the game starting with the store's wares being placed down shelf by shelf, to the fact that when Elliot leaves the screen, she vanishes in front of the door in the background.

I also like the worldbuilding. It all felt natural and not like exposition. I am interested to know more about the War and the world they live in!

If I had to pick something to improve, it would probably be the way the animated flame disappears. It kinda just, flies off at an odd angle. But other than that, can't wait to see the full product!
Thanks so much for the feedback Draz!
I'm glad you like the characters so far =D I had a really set idea of what I wanted Elliot and Jayne to be like so I'm glad you find them endearing and dependable ^w^
Yeah I'm not 100% happy with the flame disappearing as well. I tried to make it 'bounce' off the screen but couldn't code it right. I'll have to experiment with different ways to make it disappear and see what works best, but thanks for the feedback =D

Red-Baby
Veteran

#10 Post by Red-Baby »

Hi everyone!!

I originally planned to finish and release BAKED:MAGIC by Halloween but due to personal circumstances I've fallen behind schedule.

I've decided instead of cutting corners and releasing a half baked game (pun intended), I'm going to delay the release date until November so I can have more time to work on the game. I hope that everyone understands and is happy to wait just a couple of extra weeks to receive a better polished game.

I'm in the process of acquiring more art assets and music on top of what I originally had planned to make the game really worth while. On that note, I'm considering if it's worthwhile trying to run a kickstarter campaign, patreon, ko-fi or something similar to raise funds so I can pay back the amazing people helping me make this game?

The game will remain free of course. I just want to see if people think it would be worthwhile to try to get crowdfunding?

Red

Red-Baby
Veteran

#11 Post by Red-Baby »

Just an update: The script is 100% finished and I have received the music for the main menu~!!! YAY progress =D
Just seriously got to finish two more sprites and get a few more audio tracks.

Red-Baby
Veteran

Re: BAKED:MAGIC [GxG][Kickstarter][Free][Demo]

#12 Post by Red-Baby »

And the kickstarter is now live folks!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... ref=buc7hn
KSBanner.png

Red-Baby
Veteran

Re: BAKED:MAGIC [GxG][Free][Complete]

#13 Post by Red-Baby »

The game is complete and has been released
check us out on itchio
HERE

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

#14 Post by IronForPistons »

This has been in my backlog forever, but I finally got a chance to play it! Such a fun world! I really liked the characters & I loved the way you incorporated the characters' past into the story. The twist that
Jayne was buying the muffins for the princess
was really well done. I also really liked the point-and-click elements; I think more VNs should use them! There were a few small spelling/grammar errors, but they weren't distracting at all and overall it was well written. The art style was very clean and suited the story well. Great job!
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#15 Post by Red-Baby »

Thanks so much for the kind words IronForPistons!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. =)

The spin-off story 'DRUNK:MAGIC' will be coming to twitter in April so if that goes well I'm hoping to create more games/stories set in the same universe.
IronForPistons wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:18 pm This has been in my backlog forever, but I finally got a chance to play it! Such a fun world! I really liked the characters & I loved the way you incorporated the characters' past into the story. The twist that
Jayne was buying the muffins for the princess
was really well done. I also really liked the point-and-click elements; I think more VNs should use them! There were a few small spelling/grammar errors, but they weren't distracting at all and overall it was well written. The art style was very clean and suited the story well. Great job!