Adventurer's Guild [ Fantasy | Stat-Raising ]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Verdelite
Projects: Embers' Pyre, Adventurer's Guild
Deviantart: FadeLalique

Adventurer's Guild [ Fantasy | Stat-Raising ]

#1 Post by Verdelite »

! Come And Join the Adventurer's Guild !

Have you ever dreamt of becoming an adventurer?
Have you ever dreamt of becoming someone that everyone looks up to?
Have you ever dreamt of making the world a better place - and making a living with it?

Then look no further!

The Adventurer's Guild is currently recruiting motivated and driven individuals!
Accept quests and train yourself to become the very best like no one ever was!
We are located in Abeonia, the bustling town of adventurers, blessed by Grand Mistress Abeonia herself.
To lessen her burden and aid her in the protection of the people, we need YOUR help!

Enjoy all benefits of being an adventurer, like FREE hand-reading and a yearly subscription to the Adventurer's Journal!
We accept all people regardless of age, origin or gender - anyone is welcome to join us!*

Join our ranks NOW** and make your dream a reality!

*Registration fee of 3.500G required

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a game that I've been working on for the past months.
It's not quite finished yet, as this version features only the first half of the game. The title menu as well as the UI are not yet done. The backgrounds are placeholder and are supposed to be replaced eventually.
There are also more characters and questlines going to be added/expanded on. Also, not all map locations are available as of yet - in particular the Market/Store is going to be added to expand the item system.

I would highly appreciate your feedback! Please fill out this survey and/or leave a comment here! :)

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

Re: Adventurer's Guild [ Fantasy | Stat-Raising ]

#2 Post by DirkB »

I played the demo for a while and this looks like it works very well. It's amazing to see what you can do with Ren'Py. The town map with selectable locations is nice and adding activities to your schedule looks good and practical.

I noticed one possible problem. After you meet the women who gives you a Lucky coin, the music doesn't restart right away when you go back doing things at different locations.

For this to really keep my interest, it should be more focused on story also. While the concept of raising stats through various activities looks polished and seems to work well, I would like there to be some form of regular (weekly?) special events which tell a story in which you can participate.

Macros

#3 Post by Macros »

Well, that sounds promising! Of course, the demo kicked my ass - trying to befriend Kardia only to have her ending up arrested off-screen, the orphanage shutting down and finally ending up being labelled a failure (not sure what's the trigger for that?), so yeah, a pretty rough start for the MC. Not giving up though!
"So many things to do, so little time."

RoseGardenGames
Regular
Projects: The Alien of The Occult Club
Organization: Rose Garden Games
itch: rosegardengames

#4 Post by RoseGardenGames »

So as you already know and comment on, but one of the first things you'll want to hit up going forward is having... some kind of title screen. Like, even a placeholder one will do you more favors than the default Ren'Py one, I think. Your art is too nice not to!

That aside, some wording choices I wanted to comment on in your opening: "But that was all it had been at that point." This feels a bit awkward to read in the context of where we are. Maybe something more like "But that was all it was back then." instead? Similarly, instead of "But that day had come," I think "But that day came" or "But that day did come" gives the effect you're going for more effectively, if that makes sense.

On that tangent, I wonder if adding some narration of some kind, even just sprinkled in, might be a possibility during the next scene with the protagonist?

Anyway, after that, I got to playing a bit. All in all, the game is pretty straightforward, which is not at all a bad thing (though I was a bit confused as to why there was a need for a year skip in time?). I do feel like the protagonist could use a bit more... something to them, but if the game's focus is to be on the stat raising elements, then what's there is more than enough.

Also, one touch I liked that I wanted to comment on was how when you're going around town, you don't have to commit to any area right when you select them, you can go back to the map. That was nice. I also really liked all the different drawings and animations for the different jobs and events.

In general, the "game" part of everything seems pretty solid. You could consider adding more of a direction earlier on, since it sort of feels... wishy washy right now, but on the other hand, leaving it as is could give players more freedom if you allow them to grow and branch out more and more as they develop their stats!

Anyhoo, that's all for now! Good luck!
Image Check out my current project, The Alien of The Occult Club! Image

Gabmag
Regular
Completed: A Date with Death, The Divine Speaker, start;again, Amelie, The Sun and the Moon
Projects: Dreambound
Organization: Two and a Half Studios
IRC Nick: Gabmag

#5 Post by Gabmag »

I love the sprites. The style is really great! I'll be checking out your demo :)
i make games sometimes, other times i cry.

Verdelite

#6 Post by Verdelite »

DirkB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:50 am I played the demo for a while and this looks like it works very well. It's amazing to see what you can do with Ren'Py. The town map with selectable locations is nice and adding activities to your schedule looks good and practical.

I noticed one possible problem. After you meet the women who gives you a Lucky coin, the music doesn't restart right away when you go back doing things at different locations.
Thank you very much!
I'll work on the issue with the music. I was worried that for short scenes the music might change too quickly but it might be more jarring for it to stay even when executing different activities. Thanks for pointing it out!
DirkB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:50 am For this to really keep my interest, it should be more focused on story also. While the concept of raising stats through various activities looks polished and seems to work well, I would like there to be some form of regular (weekly?) special events which tell a story in which you can participate.
You're right, this is a problem that I've been mulling over as well. There are some "special events" that are triggered regularly but they're not really much of a story per se.
The idea is that your 'journey' in the game changes depending on which activities you're doing and stuff like that, so I kept the 'definite' story events to a minimum. I had hoped that the different story quest lines in the later part of the game would amend this, but all in all it does lack more 'story'.
Thank you so much for your feedback! ^_^

---------------------------------------------
Macros wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am Well, that sounds promising! Of course, the demo kicked my ass - trying to befriend Kardia only to have her ending up arrested off-screen, the orphanage shutting down and finally ending up being labelled a failure (not sure what's the trigger for that?), so yeah, a pretty rough start for the MC. Not giving up though!
LOL I'm sorry to hear that your first playthrough ended in failure. Yeah, Kardia is a bit of a tough nut to crack.
Thank you for playing! <3 Feel free to keep me updated on your progress :D

----------------------------------------------
RoseGardenGames wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm So as you already know and comment on, but one of the first things you'll want to hit up going forward is having... some kind of title screen. Like, even a placeholder one will do you more favors than the default Ren'Py one, I think. Your art is too nice not to!

That aside, some wording choices I wanted to comment on in your opening: "But that was all it had been at that point." This feels a bit awkward to read in the context of where we are. Maybe something more like "But that was all it was back then." instead? Similarly, instead of "But that day had come," I think "But that day came" or "But that day did come" gives the effect you're going for more effectively, if that makes sense.

On that tangent, I wonder if adding some narration of some kind, even just sprinkled in, might be a possibility during the next scene with the protagonist?
Thank your pointing those out! I'm not a native speaker, so I'm never really sure whether something sounds weird.
Do you mean add narration in general or for that scene in particular? I wanted to preserve a bit of the RPG-esque feel of dialogue-only instead of the more heavily narrated VNs.

RoseGardenGames wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm Anyway, after that, I got to playing a bit. All in all, the game is pretty straightforward, which is not at all a bad thing (though I was a bit confused as to why there was a need for a year skip in time?). I do feel like the protagonist could use a bit more... something to them, but if the game's focus is to be on the stat raising elements, then what's there is more than enough.
Thank you! You bring up a great issue with the protagonist. They're probably lacking more of 'conflict' to make them more interesting. I was afraid of adding that and more backstory since my 'conflicts' always end up as angstfests and I wanted to keep this game lighthearted lol. But I'll definitely look into that!

RoseGardenGames wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm Also, one touch I liked that I wanted to comment on was how when you're going around town, you don't have to commit to any area right when you select them, you can go back to the map. That was nice. I also really liked all the different drawings and animations for the different jobs and events.

In general, the "game" part of everything seems pretty solid. You could consider adding more of a direction earlier on, since it sort of feels... wishy washy right now, but on the other hand, leaving it as is could give players more freedom if you allow them to grow and branch out more and more as they develop their stats!

Anyhoo, that's all for now! Good luck!
The lack of direction is something someone else also commented on, so you definitely have a point there! I'll have to see what kind of events I could add to amend that.

Thank you so much for playing and for your valuable feedback! <3 Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Gabmag wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 pm I love the sprites. The style is really great! I'll be checking out your demo :)
Thank you! >w< I hope you'll have fun!

Macros

#7 Post by Macros »

Verdelite wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 amLOL I'm sorry to hear that your first playthrough ended in failure. Yeah, Kardia is a bit of a tough nut to crack.
Thank you for playing! <3 Feel free to keep me updated on your progress :D
Don't mind if I do!

Well, it went a little better this time, though not yet perfect. I did manage to pass a few checks I failed the first time, such as the second dock ambush by the thugs (thus leading me to Griffins' quest), caught Kardia when she attempts to pickpocket the MC (funnily enough, you can still "warn" her about that nasty pickpocket running around after that), managed to get a few training sessions with Kardia and Griffin, and got to see the prophecy at the end.

Kardia still got arrested and the orphanage shut down though, so I'm beginning to suspect you need a very particular build to prevent it, but the hell If I know which (hilariously enough, I still had a training session scheduled with her the same week she got caught that went through).

Not sure if something is supposed to happen during the festival. Probably needs a different skillset than what I had.

Verdelite

#8 Post by Verdelite »

Macros wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:31 pm
Don't mind if I do!

Well, it went a little better this time, though not yet perfect. I did manage to pass a few checks I failed the first time, such as the second dock ambush by the thugs (thus leading me to Griffins' quest), caught Kardia when she attempts to pickpocket the MC (funnily enough, you can still "warn" her about that nasty pickpocket running around after that), managed to get a few training sessions with Kardia and Griffin, and got to see the prophecy at the end.

Kardia still got arrested and the orphanage shut down though, so I'm beginning to suspect you need a very particular build to prevent it, but the hell If I know which (hilariously enough, I still had a training session scheduled with her the same week she got caught that went through).

Not sure if something is supposed to happen during the festival. Probably needs a different skillset than what I had.
Congratulations! If you managed to catch Kardia pickpocketing, you're already almost there actually.
There are multiple ways but the easiest one is having those three things:
  • A high Alertness stat
  • The lucky coin
  • Report Kardia when you manage to catch her pickpocketing
Yep, there's something that can happen during the festival.
You need:
Charisma
More details:
You need to accept the "Theatre" quest that is available at the Guild roughly around one month before the festival.You can bypass the stat requirements for the quest if you raise your Charisma early enough to get scouted at the Minstrel contest and be at the theatre around the time the "Theatre" quest is issued.

Macros

#9 Post by Macros »

Verdelite wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am There are multiple ways but the easiest one is having those three things:
Hmm. I actually had those three things done, but it doesn't seem to prevent her arrest later. Oh well.

RoseGardenGames
Regular
Projects: The Alien of The Occult Club
Organization: Rose Garden Games
itch: rosegardengames

#10 Post by RoseGardenGames »

Verdelite wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 amDo you mean add narration in general or for that scene in particular? I wanted to preserve a bit of the RPG-esque feel of dialogue-only instead of the more heavily narrated VNs.
It's not as much of an issue once the player has control and can assume what's going on because they're picking things and so on, but in that initial portion where you're essentially dropping players into nothing, you have to assume a lot to really understand what's happening in the scene. If you're familiar with how these stories work, it shouldn't be much of an issue, but you also don't want to write something making any assumptions about your potential readers. If you assume instead someone with little to even no experience with the genre is playing, how well will they be able to understand what's going on?
Image Check out my current project, The Alien of The Occult Club! Image