Hand of Horzasha [Fantasy][Detective][Monsters][Courtroom Drama][Relationship Building]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nova Alamak
Regular

Hand of Horzasha [Fantasy][Detective][Monsters][Courtroom Drama][Relationship Building]

#1 Post by Nova Alamak »

Hand of Horzasha - A Melancholy Mystery in a Land Without Maps

Story

Hand of Horzasha places you in the shoes of Diala Joulsae, an explorer sent by the human world to map out the uncharted lands beyond an ancient barrier at the edges of the known world. Upon arriving, she is beset by unknown wildlife when a race of people called the Meire come to her rescue. Sheltering Diala in their idyllic village, the Meire show her their way of life and offer her refuge in exchange for labor. Stranded for the time being, Diala agrees. But when the obvious neglect of an orphaned child comes to light, Diala finds a new reason to put her journey on hold, the consequences of which will change her life irreversibly.

Players will discover a cast of unusual characters, almost none of whom are humans. In order to keep staying in the village and unraveling its mysteries, Diala will need to be on good terms with the people in charge. There are seven powerful families who rule Randall Village, and they vote each month on whether to continue sheltering or evict their refugee residents, whom they call "Lessers." With the help of others in her position, Diala will have to endure many hardships in order to uncover the truth, including the dreaded trial spoken of only in whispers: "Obosolph."

Features

Meet the host of monster races that inhabit the enigmatic Randall Village, complete with 35+ different characters and lush, animated backgrounds.
Document your findings in a robust encyclopedia system as you gather clues and profiles that will help unravel the mysteries of the valley.
Form and strengthen bonds with the cat-like Meire who rule the town. Create alliances with each family to avoid eviction at the end of each month.
Explore optional encounters with townsfolk to bolster your standing and learn more about the region.
Put your life on the line in dangerous ritual confrontations that decide the fates of your neighbors.
Experience four intriguing chapters and a total of seven different endings.

Characters

Diala is the protagonist of this story. She has arrived in the village by accident and is new to this world.

Aurelia is an orphan who appears in Randall Village to play with its children. But the adults, for whatever reason, do not acknowledge her existence.

Hudra is Diala's next-door neighbor. She is a skilled hunter and acrobat, but she is not the most sociable person around.

Yolk is a messenger who works directly under the mayor of Randall Village. It is his job to watch over various refugee villagers, Diala included. He is notoriously mean-spirited.

Nathaniel is one of the village's guards. He lives with the Oodse family and is among the friendliest of all residents in town.

Fielle is the Randall Village librarian. She is reserved, but also knowledgeable about many worldly topics.

Al is the village's south guard. He lives with the Vall family and is not a very trusting fellow. He is, however, revered by the village Meire for his integrity.

Ernst runs the general store and is the only other human in Randall Village besides Diala. He is cold and quiet, but seems to know more than he ever lets on.

Release Info

A demo has been available since July of 2018. The full game will be free on Steam and name-your-price on Itch.io. I wrote, drew, and coded the game myself with music by Miguel Bulteau, mixing by his frequent collaborator Miguel Jesus, and with editing and proofreading by my lifelong personal friend and writing mentor, Gwendolyn Hicks. We have an small team of testers and are always looking for more. If you would like to be a beta tester, please let me know!

Follow the studio on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShinyVacation
Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/6CPehaG

Hand of Horzasha will be released on Monday, December 17th, 2018. I hope you will enjoy what we've made together. Please look forward to release day with us!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Hand of Horzasha [Fantasy][Detective][Monsters][Courtroom Drama][Relationship Building]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Relationship balancing is always a super interesting mechanic. This seems like a really cool game, I'm looking forward to the release. c: I really like all of the designs for the non-human characters, especially Hudra and Fielle.

Nova Alamak
Regular

Re: Hand of Horzasha [Fantasy][Detective][Monsters][Courtroom Drama][Relationship Building]

#3 Post by Nova Alamak »

Thank you! The non-humans are very much the focus of this work.