[Now complete!] The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

[Now complete!] The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

#1 Post by parttimestorier »

itch banner.png
This project is now complete and has a corresponding thread in the completed games section! You can also buy it on itch.io.

A young woman wakes up in a lighthouse with a head injury and no memory of the shipwreck that brought her there—or anything else, for that matter. A stone-faced, stoic Lighthouse Keeper assures her that help will arrive soon, but seems unwilling or unable to help her figure out whom or where she is. Help the Lighthouse Keeper’s Guest uncover the mysteries of the island and its inhabitants in this point-and-click visual novel about unlikely friendship and loss of identity.

Main Characters
keeper profile with lighthouse.png
guest profile with lighthouse.png
archivist profile with lighthouse.png
Screenshots
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
screenshot0004.png
More Information and Discussion
The Light at the End of the Ocean is going to be my first commercial release after creating a few short free game jam entries, and I'm really excited to finally have the demo out! I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on how the itch.io page looks right now from a marketing perspective. Is there anything important missing? Should I add some different screenshots? I'd also love to hear any first impressions about things like which character you like most so far.

If you're interested in the game, I'll be posting some updates on twitter as well. You can also follow me on itch.io and WordPress, and look up the credits of everyone else who's working on the project here. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by parttimestorier on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

#2 Post by Zelan »

omg omg omg I was catching up on all the posts since I've been gone and I saw you mentioned your own larger scale project and here it is!! I'm so excited to see a larger-scale work from you!

Mystery is such a great genre, and I feel like it fits super well with the VN genre (even though I haven't actually played many mystery VNs, haha) so I'm super excited to see how this turns out! I love the art style, I think the bold, dark lines fit the theme well.

Pricing on VNs was never something that I was good at gauging but I think $10-15 would probably be okay? Some people might think that 18k is a bit short for $15, but I'm really not sure about that, and I definitely don't think anyone could complain about a $10 price point.

Super excited to see more progress on this! ^_^

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes

Re: The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

Zelan wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 pm omg omg omg I was catching up on all the posts since I've been gone and I saw you mentioned your own larger scale project and here it is!! I'm so excited to see a larger-scale work from you!
Thanks so much for the lovely comment and your feedback on pricing! I hope to have some more exciting updates to post before too long. :D
ImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

Happy New Year everyone! We've been hard at work on this project over the past little while, and I'm really excited to say that all the sprite art is done and we're starting on the CGs! I'm not sure how many of them I'll be able to reveal without spoiling things, but here's a preview of an early one in which the Guest examines her injuries in the mirror.
the-guest-in-the-mirror.png
I'm also currently recruiting for an additional background artist for the project, so if you're a bg artist looking for commissions, please take a look at my post about that and let me know if you're interested!
ImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

I've updated the main post with some new screenshots now that the new background artist, Chiharu-J, has been working on adding some lovely colour! I've also put together a little website for marketing. If anyone gets a chance to take a look at the site, let me know what you think of it and if there's any more information I should add!
ImageImageImage

quillyquillquill
Regular
Projects: A Summer with the Shiba Inu
Organization: Quill Studios
itch: quill-studios

#6 Post by quillyquillquill »

This is exciting and the art style really stands out! How long approximating is the story going to be?

parttimestorier
Veteran

#7 Post by parttimestorier »

quillyquillquill wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 pm This is exciting and the art style really stands out! How long approximating is the story going to be?
Thanks Quill! I'll have to get some more feedback from beta testers to be more confident about it, but I'm estimating the playtime will be a couple hours or so, varying a bit based on how long you spend investigating all the different objects in the point-and-click sections. Also, I'm getting fairly close to having all the art I need for the demo, so hopefully I'll be updating this thread again soon. :D
ImageImageImage

Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

#8 Post by Sonya »

Hey the art looks fantastic!!

quillyquillquill
Regular
Projects: A Summer with the Shiba Inu
Organization: Quill Studios
itch: quill-studios

#9 Post by quillyquillquill »

Well, if you're looking for beta-testers, feel free to get me to try it!

Since the development of my game is wrapping up, I've been BINGING VNs... read through 3 of ebi-hime's free VNs and also read RE:BURN too!

The time I play games least is when I'm making them... ;_;

parttimestorier
Veteran

#10 Post by parttimestorier »

quillyquillquill wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:50 pm Well, if you're looking for beta-testers, feel free to get me to try it!

Since the development of my game is wrapping up, I've been BINGING VNs... read through 3 of ebi-hime's free VNs and also read RE:BURN too!

The time I play games least is when I'm making them... ;_;
That's great, I'm looking forward to the release of your game! I'll definitely let you know when I'm at the point where I need more beta testers. I hope you liked RE:BURN. :D I really enjoy ebi-hime's works too. I wonder if people who read this one will be able to figure out which of her VNs has been the biggest influence on me!
ImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran

Re: [Demo released!] The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

#11 Post by parttimestorier »

Big update: you can now play a short demo of The Light at the End of the Ocean! I've updated the main post a bit with some more information related to that. It's about fifteen minutes long, with two alternate ways it can go depending on what you do during the point-and-click segment. Check it out and let me know what you think!
ImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran

Re: [Now complete!] The Light at the End of the Ocean [Friendship][Ontological Mystery][Point-and-Click][Commercial]

#12 Post by parttimestorier »

The Light at the End of the Ocean is now complete! You can buy it on itch.io and let me know what you think in the completed games thread!
ImageImageImage