Dia:Dol - Diamond Idol [Idols][Contest][IGMC2018]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Racheal-Moon

Dia:Dol - Diamond Idol [Idols][Contest][IGMC2018]

#1 Post by Racheal-Moon »

Welcome to the second season of Diamond Idol, a reality TV show where you can become the most talked about idol in the country. Your brother won the first season, and you are ready to follow in his footsteps. Winning this contest might be the only avenue to dancing with him on stage again. Make friends, train hard, and do whatever it takes to become this season's Diamond Idol!

Dia:dol is a game made in a month for IGMC 2018. This prototype shows one possible outcome of the first two weeks of the contest. Dia:dol focuses on building the stats of the player character, performing in a weekly contest, and bonding with the other fourteen men who are in it to win. Dia:dol offers a wealth of art, fun characters, and a concept that we hope you'll enjoy!

Characters

Meet your fellow contestants. They come from a variety of backgrounds and experience,
but each one is striving to become the Diamond Idol and ready to do whatever it takes.

Screenshots
Image Image
Image Image

You can find more images at a higher resolution as well as a download at the games itch.io page here. It's a little rough around the edges due to the time constraints of the contest, but I think it gets the point across of the game we're trying to make. The run time is about an hour to an hour and a half depending on reading speed. If you decide to give it a go, we'd appreciate it if you could give us a rating on the jam page <3

aliciarune
Regular

Re: Dia:Dol - Diamond Idol [Idols][Contest][IGMC2018]

#2 Post by aliciarune »

I remember playing your first game a long way back before joining the forum. It was really good. Glad to see you're making another =D. It looks good. I am wondering, is it BxB a bit or just kind of a friendship vn? Also, does every character get a route per say, even if it's a friendship type visual novel? Oh and I love the art =D. Unique and pleasant looking.

Racheal-Moon

#3 Post by Racheal-Moon »

Hey, thank you. It's always nice to hear your work is recognized <3 (I'm assuming you mean April was a Fool since that was the only VN we really completed and posted out into the world.)

While there are some mild BxB elements (there's a small amount of flirting between two characters in the demo), romance is not a central element of this game, which is why I chose not to tag it as such. Certainly there will be a friendship system, and your friends and your skill stats will influence the outcome. There won't be routes focused on individuals so much as different routes might focus on a different set of characters, since the earlier they are removed from the show, the less air time they will get.

Thanks for your comment :)

aliciarune
Regular

#4 Post by aliciarune »

Racheal-Moon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm Hey, thank you. It's always nice to hear your work is recognized <3 (I'm assuming you mean April was a Fool since that was the only VN we really completed and posted out into the world.)

While there are some mild BxB elements (there's a small amount of flirting between two characters in the demo), romance is not a central element of this game, which is why I chose not to tag it as such. Certainly there will be a friendship system, and your friends and your skill stats will influence the outcome. There won't be routes focused on individuals so much as different routes might focus on a different set of characters, since the earlier they are removed from the show, the less air time they will get.

Thanks for your comment :)

Np =). And yep, that's the game. I loved it =D.

And kk, thanks for clarifying. I'll play for sure. I mean I love romance, but I'm not against just friendship or family stories. And the way you're going about structuring the story fits for this. Best not to have routes and more just telling different parts of the story =).

Racheal-Moon

#5 Post by Racheal-Moon »

It's time to meet the competitors of the second season of Diamond Idol, a reality TV show where 15 men compete on stage to be crowned as the new number one idol. On today's Idol Spotlight, we'll be introducing three of the men who will put their skills to the test!

Perry
Talent: Bad Dancing
Hobbies: Cooking, Food Blog
Dislikes: Angry people, Not having fun

Perry comes from a family of chefs and studied under them for years, but running the cafe was never his dream. He started performing on a stage built in the cafe with the sole purpose of making guests smile and laugh. Craving more and more attention, Perry decided to audition for Diamond Idol. He longs to be surrounded and pampered by girls. Perry uses his youthful looks to his advantage, acting mischievous and playful, and manipulating others into doing things for him. Perry's a bit touchy about revealing his true age.

---

Ryan
Talent: Melodic Voice
Hobbies: Video Games
Dislikes: His low self-esteem

Ryan is a streamer who does let's plays of obscure retro games and also creates vocal remixes of popular video game music under the online handle DJRye. His fans told him about Diamond Idol, pressuring him into trying out despite him being quite nervous about it. He's always worried about his appearance, knowing that he intimidates others with his large stature and deep voice. Despite everything, he wants to do his best and not let his fans down.

---

Justin
Talent: N/A
Hobbies: Collects Plushies
Dislikes: Pressure, Germs

A quiet boy who lacks professional training, Justin makes up for it in untapped, raw talent. Justin auditioned for Diamond Idol alongside his friends, although he wasn't too sure what it was at the time. In the end, he got in and his friend's didn't. He tried to press for the reason why, but the host only told him 'you have a good face for it.' Justin is a bit slow to pick up on things and struggles to remember the names of his peers.

---

That's all for today! Remember to click the download link to try out the demo and leave us a rating if you enjoy what you see. We'll be back next time to introduce more of our idol hopefuls.

May the gods of song and dance bless your souls! Good night.

Racheal-Moon

#6 Post by Racheal-Moon »

Welcome back to another Idol Spotlight! Let's introduce three more of the men waiting to show their killer charisma, dance skills, and lyrical talent on stage!

Lanford
Talent: Natural Charm
Hobbies: Travelling
Dislikes: Dishonest people

Lanford joined Diamond Idol without any hope of winning, knowing how much his age would be a handicap. He's competing mostly for the experience and in hopes of gaining exposure. Even so, Lanford is a very confident man who simply knows his limitations. His love of travelling has allowed him to pick up several languages (though he's not as fluent as he thinks). An unstoppable flirt.

---

Chris
Talent: Vocal Range
Hobbies: Motorcycles
Dislikes: Conflict, Bad Coffee

Chris was the lead vocalist for his brother's garage band but quit in order to compete in Diamond Idol. Leaving the band has driven a wedge between the brothers' relationship, but Chris refuses to let that stop him. When not singing, Chris puts his time towards tinkering with his motorcycle. He thinks he is quite suave but gets easily embarrassed when a cute boy flirts back at him.

---

Jasper
Talent: Jack of all Trades
Hobbies: Photography, Paranormal Investigation
Dislikes: His anxiety, Heavy Contact Sports

Jasper is the son of a detective and a huge fan of the previous winner of Diamond Idol, The Prince of Ice. He has dreamed of being an idol for years and practiced a lot; however, his social anxiety has always kept him from the stage. Driven by a chance to dance with his role model, Jasper is doing his best to perform. He claims he can see ghosts.

---

That's all for today! Remember to click the download link to try out the demo and leave us a rating if you enjoy what you see. Stay tuned for the third installment!

May the gods of song and dance bless your souls! Good night.

ixWishing
Veteran

#7 Post by ixWishing »

Oh hey, I knew I recognized that art style! I'm glad Dragonfly Studios (if you guys still use that name) is still alive! I had really fond memories of playing Castle Chase many years ago when the Deluxe version came out! Ever since then, I've been playing most of your team's newer releases! :) Although this VN is more friendship-based, I'm sure quite excited for it! Anything with idols is always fun, haha.
On a side note, if you don't mind me asking... Is Castle Chase 2 a scrapped project now, or is it on indefinite hiatus? I remember there was news and a few WIP posts from your team's website about making Castle Chase 2. Although Castle Chase 1 has a fond spot in my heart, it's understandable if you guys don't want to work on an older project anymore. I was a bit curious and wanted to find out about CC2's status because CC1 was one of my favorite games made from RPG Maker!
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Racheal-Moon

#8 Post by Racheal-Moon »

@ixWishing: We've been on a bit of a hiatus due to real life shenanigans / nothing seeming to ever come together creatively, but it certainly feels nice to finally be able to push something out there. Bless motivation contests.
CC2 is more or less dead. We have at least five projects we'd be more interested in continuing before it, and it just wasn't working out. It never could capture that same magical non-linearity the first one achieved.
---

We're back again, idol fans, for another Idol Spotlight! Today we'll introduce another three of our contestants, ready to put their fates in the hands of your votes.

Nigel
Talent: Beautiful Voice
Dislikes: Other people his age, Pay to Win/Free to Play Video Games

Nigel is a disgruntled office worker, filled with contempt towards a great deal of things, especially his peers. In the past, he had trouble with addiction to microtransactions which has made him resentfully seek joy through activities he considers more productive and worthy. Most of his free time is spent volunteering around his community; he especially enjoys helping out at the local senior center running bingo and bridge tournaments. He gets along well with older people.

---

Oliver
Talent: Lots of Experience
Dislikes: The Movie Industry, Loud Noises

In his youth, Oliver was legendary as an actor and diva who appeared in countless roles as young girls, from horror movies to romcoms. His popularity was phenomenal, his face appearing on billboards, commercials, merchandise, and more. He even won an election as mayor of a small town. However, his fame faded as he grew older. He has joined Diamond Idol to try to recapture that fame using the only skill set he has. Oliver torrents movies to spite his old line of work.

---

Nikolai
Talent: Charismatic Dancer
Dislikes: Coffee, Slackers

A quiet boy who grew up in the mountains near a small town, Nikolai was never very popular in school and was someone easily overlooked. He's done his best to change his image, but little is known about the training he underwent to do so or his homelife. Nikolai's dour and serious personality is flipped upside down when he's performing; his dance and charms capturing his audience easily.

---

That's a wrap! Curious to learn even more about our contestants? Then be sure to check out the demo and leave a rating if you enjoy what you see! Until next time...

May the gods of song and dance bless your souls! Good night!

Racheal-Moon

#9 Post by Racheal-Moon »

We're almost at the end of our Idol Spotlights, dear viewers. Let's introduce three more contestants for Diamond Idol!

Cassius
Talent: Aura of an Idol
Dislikes: ???

Who is he? Where did he come from? I'm the host so I should know? Well, you aren't wrong.

---

Archie
Talent: Thrives Under Pressure
Dislikes: The Economy, Matching Socks

Archie comes from a large, middle-class family. Both of his parents spend their time working, so he's always been in charge of looking after his siblings and upkeep on the house. This is the first time he's been away from home to chase his own dreams of becoming a popstar, and he misses his family dearly. Knowing they'll watch him on TV every day gives him strength. Archie is quick to accept praise, even from himself, but isn't an egomaniac. He hopes to make a lot of friends during the contest.

---

Daniel
Talent: Quirky Personality
Dislikes: Pulling Common Cards, Bullies

Daniel is a cheerful fellow who worked a dead-end retail job in a grocery store stocking the freezer aisle before joining Diamond Idol. He uses phone games as a coping mechanism for his mundane life and has developed an unhealthy dependence on them -- and an even worse spending habit. It's those spending habits that have driven him to enter the contest. Daniel's an all around nice guy who will beat up bullies for you but won't walk you home because he'd just get lost.

---

Phew! With each new Idol-to-be, I can really feel the competition heating up. Remember to check out the demo and leave a rating if you enjoy what you see! Bye for now.

Racheal-Moon

#10 Post by Racheal-Moon »

It's time to introduce our final two contestants for Diamond Idol!

Yun
Talent: Great Actor
Dislikes: Childish Games, Romantic Comedies

A refined young man who has previous experience performing musicals with a trope at his local theatre. He often performed roles of very elegant characters but was not any more famous than the other members of the group. Yun is very quiet and comes across as unapproachable, but he is actually quite warm and kind. Along with being very talented at acting, singing, and dancing, Yun gives very good hugs with his upper body strength.

---

Stephen
Talent: Untapped Potential
Dislikes: Running, Waking up Early
(Disclaimer: In the demo, Stephen is known as Jared. That will be revised in the full game.)

Stephen was born in a small village at the foot of a mountain range. The village was not burnt down, both of his parents are still alive, he's never had an animal mascot that talks to him, and a girl has never fallen out of the sky and landed on him -- but none of that matters, because he -IS- destined to be a hero and save the world. Maybe he'll get to pilot a mecha or obtain super powers or rescue a girl with a magical blue gem from an evil empire or maybe he'll simply become a top idol and spread love and hope through his song and dance. He'll find a way. Stephen's boisterous personality made him popular in school, despite being a total nerd who was bad at sports. He believes everyone is a hero in their own way.

---

Before we go, it's time for something extra special! A closer look at our winner of last season, The Prince of Ice himself!

Those sorrowful eyes have captured the entire nation since his unexpected victory, and in the last year, his worldwide tour has gained him even larger renown. The winner of this year's season will have the honour of performing alongside him at his worldwide tour's final stage right here in Diamond Idol's home country. What a great honour!

---

Now that you, dear viewers, have met all our contests, who do you think will stand on stage next to The Prince of Ice? Who do you think will be our next breakout hit, the next Diamond Idol? Stay tuned to watch these 15 men try to outsing, outdance, and outlive each other on stage!

--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! There's less than a day left for IGMC ratings. We'd love to talk a little bit more openly about the game we want to make here. While it presents itself as a Simulation Visual Novel about growing your character to compete in the contest, there's a darker edge at play here. Anyone who has made it to the end of the demo already knows - but the contestants of Diamond Idol will do -whatever- it takes to win. Including murder.

What we hope to present with the finished product is a branching story where your training, decisions, and friendships determine who gets voted off, who gets killed off, and who wins.

To anyone who has already played the demo and left a rating, thank you! To anyone who hasn't - Be sure to check it out!

Probably Alice

#11 Post by Probably Alice »

(Hopefully it's ok to post here)
I've been waiting for Stephen's profile! I'm such a sucker for big dork characters, and from his art he just screamed it haha.

Love how vibrant and full of character the art style is and how quirky all the characters seem; haven't had a chance to play the demo yet but hopefully I'll do in the next couple of days since I finally have a break (I use a Mac so playing Windows games requires some set up and prayer lol). ^ ^
Especially interested to hear about the darker elements. ;>

Racheal-Moon

#12 Post by Racheal-Moon »

(We welcome all posts!)
I'm glad someone has been watching for our profile updates! That's exciting to hear.

Oh, I can totally compile a mac version for you. I just can't put it up on itch.io until the contest is over. It'll even have a few typo fixes here and there since it will be a fresh compile. I also went ahead and made the changes to Stephen's name, since it was simple and the only reason I hadn't done so is a large part of the intro will be getting a rewrite due to the feedback we've received so far.
Here is the mac version

Probably Alice

#13 Post by Probably Alice »

Yeah, I'm a bit of a lurker but I have been enjoying all the updates!

That's very kind of you, thanks. I finished the demo and would love to see how you guys rewrite it and resolve the story.