Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
NocturneLight
Regular
Projects: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch
Organization: Reminiscent 64
Tumblr: Reminiscent64
itch: Reminiscent64

Re: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][Gore][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

#16 Post by NocturneLight »

And here comes Development Log 3!

If you're the type of person that likes world lore, I'd suggest you read this development log!

Sidenote: I suspect the character drawings for the CG's will be done any day now.

Also, to all of you lurking this thread and not posting: feel free to ask me questions! Especially if you have questions about the world of "Unsound Minds" as a whole!
The Old Guard is at His Limit. The time is near to usher in the New Guard.

The Great Horror is soon to be free.

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

Stay sound and persist through the chaos,
NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

Re: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][Gore][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

#17 Post by NocturneLight »

Is there anything in particular you would like to see me write about in the Devlogs?

How Elena got to her final design?
How the backgrounds got to their final design?
Something programming related?
Something else I'm not thinking of?

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

#18 Post by NocturneLight »

Devlog 4 is out! You can read it here.

CG's are pretty much half way done! The backgrounds for them are still being worked on, albeit slowly.

The demo will mostly be done by this month. Leaving me to quality check it, and wait for the CG's.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

#19 Post by NocturneLight »

If you're reading this and are a person disabled in some way, I have a question for you:

What can developers do to make video games easier and more enjoyable for you to play?

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#20 Post by parttimestorier »

NocturneLight wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 pm If you're reading this and are a person disabled in some way, I have a question for you:

What can developers do to make video games easier and more enjoyable for you to play?
I don't have any disabilities that really impact my VN reading myself, but this thread has some resources about accessibility that might be useful! I also remember Heart of the Woods having a lot of accessibility features in settings, so that might be a good example to take a look at. Off the top of my head I think you could turn off some visual effects and turn on pop-ups describing sound and music, and there were probably a few more as well.
ImageImageImage

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#21 Post by Rinima »

NocturneLight wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 pm If you're reading this and are a person disabled in some way, I have a question for you:

Hi! Dyslexic and APD here. I personally love it when the font "Open Dyslexia" is an option to be used, makes it much easier to read. Also, a note on GUI, make it super clear to read, like if the background is dark, make the writing a light colour. Avoid using multicoloured text as well, makes it very annoying to read and a good way to give someone a head ache.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

NocturneLight
Regular

#22 Post by NocturneLight »

parttimestorier wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 pm

I don't have any disabilities that really impact my VN reading myself, but this thread has some resources about accessibility that might be useful! I also remember Heart of the Woods having a lot of accessibility features in settings, so that might be a good example to take a look at. Off the top of my head I think you could turn off some visual effects and turn on pop-ups describing sound and music, and there were probably a few more as well.
Rinima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi! Dyslexic and APD here. I personally love it when the font "Open Dyslexia" is an option to be used, makes it much easier to read. Also, a note on GUI, make it super clear to read, like if the background is dark, make the writing a light colour. Avoid using multicoloured text as well, makes it very annoying to read and a good way to give someone a head ache.
Thank you for the suggestion and the idea for making the game more accessible to dyslexic people, both of you! I appreciate that you both responded, by the way!

Development Log 5 is out now!

The gist of it is, while I wait on CG's, I'm going to implement a mode for dyslexic people and figure out what other disabilities ought to be accounted for. I'm also going to go over the parts of the script not in the demo and calculate Kickstarter costs. Finally, I'm also going to be making a second pass through the demo and tweaking the scenes I don't feel satisfied with.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

#23 Post by NocturneLight »

Development Log 6 is out!

Long story, short:
-The demo is coming sooner than expected.
-CG's are just about done.
-GUI is done. I just need to add the new GUI to the game.
-There will be an Accessibility option where you can switch your GUI between a lighter pastel version, a darker pastel version and the default standard GUI.
-I'm still going to make another run-through the game and quality check the scenes.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

#24 Post by NocturneLight »

Development Log 7 is out!

The gist of it:
- Fixed the bugs I found.
- Changed the font size options to have more choices.
- Changed the dark and light GUI to something I'm more satisfied with.
- Implemented the default GUI.
- Have begun adding in the CG's.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

chujnia

#25 Post by chujnia »

Can you tell us estimated date of the realise?

NocturneLight
Regular

#26 Post by NocturneLight »

chujnia wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 pm Can you tell us estimated date of the realise?
For the demo? Let's see... I've been adding one CG a day and I need to add 4 more CG's into the demo. So, in about 4 days I'll have all the CG's I want in the demo added. Then I need to clean up the files to remove full game spoilers and then update the website.

So, to answer your question, the demo is releasing either at the end of the month or sometime in the first half of next month.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

#27 Post by NocturneLight »

Devlog 8 is released!

Know what else is released? The demo!

Let me know what you think!

The gist of the devlog is:
-I'm going through the full script to figure out what game assets I need to include in the Kickstarter.
-I sent DEVGRU-P a message/email on July 19th and haven't heard back. We can start doing some work on getting the Kickstarter set up when DEVGRU-P is done being silent.
-I'm going to try and get a Mac version of the demo working.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: [DEMO RELEASED] Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][Gore][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

#28 Post by papillon »

Congratulations on getting the demo out!

Mild personal taste issue: the GUI is very, very wide. The text is thankfully not quite as wide as that, but the text is still a little bit wide for my preferences before it wraps. This is a common problem with high-resolution games, where the text often ends up both too-wide and too far away from the main 'action' of the characters, so it eventually strains the eyes with all the extra jumping around.

I don't know if that's something you'd want to worry about putting in the accessibility options, though, as altering the wrap length can mean that some text might overflow the box somewhere.

(I haven't been reading long so I don't have any content-related comments at this point.)

NocturneLight
Regular

Re: [DEMO RELEASED] Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][Gore][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

#29 Post by NocturneLight »

papillon wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm Congratulations on getting the demo out!

Mild personal taste issue: the GUI is very, very wide. The text is thankfully not quite as wide as that, but the text is still a little bit wide for my preferences before it wraps. This is a common problem with high-resolution games, where the text often ends up both too-wide and too far away from the main 'action' of the characters, so it eventually strains the eyes with all the extra jumping around.

I don't know if that's something you'd want to worry about putting in the accessibility options, though, as altering the wrap length can mean that some text might overflow the box somewhere.

(I haven't been reading long so I don't have any content-related comments at this point.)
Thanks!

Well, I already had to add quite a few different font sizes just to accommodate the OpenDyslexic font. So, it probably wouldn't be an issue to add different spacing options. I'll definitely look into it.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

NocturneLight
Regular

Re: [DEMO RELEASED] Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch [18+][GxG][Dark][Lovecraftian][Christianity]

#30 Post by NocturneLight »

Minor Update. I've added a Linux and experimental Mac build. You can find them here. If you use a Mac, do let me know if it works. I use Windows, so I can't tell if the Mac version is working as well as the Windows and Linux versions.

I've also added the ability to adjust the width of the block of text in the accessibility screen.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight