Romance of Raskya [BxG][Fantasy/War/Romance/Pseudo-Roman][Demo] Feedback requested!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
BasileusJay
Projects: Romance of Raskya
Organization: Basileus Games
Tumblr: basileusgames

Romance of Raskya [BxG][Fantasy/War/Romance/Pseudo-Roman][Demo] Feedback requested!

#1 Post by BasileusJay »

The city of Dagara is burning.

For years the rapacious legions of Raskya killed and looted their way across the land, seeking glory and the addition of new territory to their empire in the south. At last the war seemed to be over, with Dagara conquered and made into a Raskyan province. In truth, it was only the setup for the second and final climax of bloodshed.

A traitorous Raskyan general has seized the city and plans to use it and its population as his shield to draw his rival into a final battle against him. That rival and his thousands of bloodthirsty legionaries wait outside the city walls, hammering them with siege engines and delightfully counting the days until they can kill and enslave everyone inside, citizen and soldier alike.

Amidst all this, two lovers seek to reunite. A soldier outside the walls knows his beloved is held hostage within, and that if his side wins she will die horribly in the massacre that will surely follow. He seeks to save her above all else, even working to undermine his own side to increase her chances of survival. Within the city, she receives coded messages from him, as they coordinate a plan to reunite and escape from the bloodshed together.

Viewing the siege from the changing perspective of both lovers, make decisions that will affect the outcome of the war, and whether or not you will have a future together.

Or whether you can even survive.

FEATURES
  • A dark and erotic story in a war-torn world where you must fight for your happiness
  • Set in a fictional history based on the ancient Mediterranean world
  • Switching viewpoints between two protagonists
  • Multiple branching paths and endings
  • CGs highlighting the most dramatic moments of cruel violence and sensual romance
Note: The final game will feature nudity, but the demo does not.

CHARACTERS

SCREENSHOTS

DEMO

PATREON

PROGRESS
Script - 100%
Sprites - 100%
BGs- 100%
CGs - 100%
Music - 100%
GUI - 95%
Coding - 85%

Updated 7/4/2020

FEEDBACK

Please let us know how you felt about the various games elements, such as the story, characters, writing, music, etc. Keep in mind that while most elements are final or near final, the UI is in the early stages. And of course, tell us if the game is not working right in any way!
Last edited by BasileusJay on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

Swadian

Re: Romance of Raskya [BxG][Fantasy/War/Romance/Pseudo-Roman][Demo] Feedback requested!

#2 Post by Swadian »

Seems to me like this has both the best art and the most original setting I've seen on these forums, and in VNs in general. Reminds me a lot of the Malaazan Book of the Fallen (at least Gardens of the Moon, the first and only one I've read so far) and Tyranny.
The in-game music sounds great, but the main menu song sounds way to synthetic and somewhat fake.
As I said before, the art is gorgeous. The sprites are a bit contrasting with the backgrounds, maybe you should remove the outlines or blur the edges a bit, something to make them stand out less against the painting-esque BGs.
The CGs are effin perfect, they look similar to the loading screens from Guild Wars 2. They're by far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a VN.
If you plan on developing the universe further down the line I would love to contribute with some fluff lore. I can't write characters for shit, but I'm pretty good at manipulating armies, peoples and kingdoms. That's what you get for reading history and anthropology while others go out.
Also, it would be a damn shame not to make a mod with this setting for M&B Bannerlord when it releases.
Having a passion in anime is a great way to make friends.
For me it's the other way around. Getting friends came with the added clause of having to become an anime fan. Still not sure if it was worth it. :wink:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Romance of Raskya [BxG][Fantasy/War/Romance/Pseudo-Roman][Demo] Feedback requested!

#3 Post by Zelan »

I don't have the time to play your demo right now, but the art is absolutely gorgeous, and I really like the idea of this story. Star-crossed lovers can be interesting or boring depending on how it's written, but I don't think I've ever seen a story where I can switch between the perspectives of both characters involved in the romance, and the whole idea of the siege is super interesting. Will definitely be looking forward to this!

BasileusDoug
itch: basileusgames

#4 Post by BasileusDoug »

Hey everyone, I’m Doug and the second half of Basileus alongside Jay. I wanted to hop in and thank everyone for the feedback and interest so far. As of today, the demo of Romance of Raskya has been downloaded over 100 times.

The compliments on the CGs and Character Art mean so much to us. Two of the three artists for our project were found right here on the LemmaSoft forums and it’s just another aspect of what makes this community so great!

Swadian, your in-depth feedback is extremely helpful! Wanting our universe as a mod for Mount and Blade is very high praise. The main theme wasn’t complete when we published the demo. It’ll be fleshed out with more accompaniment in its final form! We’ll be eager to hear your feedback once you play the full game.

For those who have played the demo, we would appreciate any ratings or comments on our itch.io that you could give us! We are extremely excited to show off the final game down the line and will be working diligently to produce a memorable experience from start to finish.

BasileusJay

#5 Post by BasileusJay »

Hey guys, we've released a short trailer for the game showing off some of the art and plot. Check it out above and see if it doesn't make you want to take a look at the demo.

We're currently hard at work on building the game and getting some neat features built in, like an in-game encyclopedia of lore and such. The world we're building is extensive and we have plans for more games set in it, so if you want to see more historical fantasy with an erotic flavor to it, please support us by following us on itch.io and Twitter @BasileusGames. And of course, please give us your feedback! Let us know how you felt about the demo, the characters, the music, anything that stuck out to you. Or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them and we'll answer them as best we can.

Swadian

#6 Post by Swadian »

Little nitpick about the trailer: near the end you said "will the lovers have a future together?" -fade - "or will they even survive?".
Now, I'm no native English speaker, but that sounds very off to me.
I don't remember seeing any grammatical mistakes in the demo (though, I must admit, I didn't go through it's entirety), but you might want to consider getting a proofreader (or at least watching/reading everything you make a couple of hours after you've composed it, with fresh eyes).
For me it's the other way around. Getting friends came with the added clause of having to become an anime fan. Still not sure if it was worth it. :wink:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Zelan »

Swadian wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am Little nitpick about the trailer: near the end you said "will the lovers have a future together?" -fade - "or will they even survive?".
Now, I'm no native English speaker, but that sounds very off to me.
I don't remember seeing any grammatical mistakes in the demo (though, I must admit, I didn't go through it's entirety), but you might want to consider getting a proofreader (or at least watching/reading everything you make a couple of hours after you've composed it, with fresh eyes).
I don't see anything wrong with the grammar there - could you specify what about it sounds off to you?

Swadian

#8 Post by Swadian »

To my shame I must answer with "I don't really know". When read out aloud, the segment just didn't sound good. Looking at it again, the "or" (which is the part that I felt was dissonant and that I would suggest they remove) implies disjunction (either they'll have a future together OR they will survive, which is nonsense, one is included in the other).
It must likely isn't a grammatical error per se, but a poor choice in wording.
Either way, I hope I'm not being to critical here, my posts tend to sound harsher than intended. This is still the most interesting VN I've seen here and I just want to contribute what I can to make it better.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zelan »

Swadian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 am To my shame I must answer with "I don't really know". When read out aloud, the segment just didn't sound good. Looking at it again, the "or" (which is the part that I felt was dissonant and that I would suggest they remove) implies disjunction (either they'll have a future together OR they will survive, which is nonsense, one is included in the other).
It must likely isn't a grammatical error per se, but a poor choice in wording.
Either way, I hope I'm not being to critical here, my posts tend to sound harsher than intended. This is still the most interesting VN I've seen here and I just want to contribute what I can to make it better.
Ah, yeah, looking at that again and seeing your explanation I do think you're correct about that. c:

For the developers, it's probably not a huge deal if you don't correct the issue as it's not technically incorrect and most people probably wouldn't pick up on it, but Swadian is completely right that it implies the two outcomes are entirely separate from one another.

Nice catch!

BasileusJay

#10 Post by BasileusJay »

Hey guys, thanks for the discussion and highlighting of that error, we fixed it by getting rid of the "or". It just makes us so pleased that anyone cares in the first place, ha. We're working every day to make Romance of Raskya as great as possible, and every little change and fix like this gets us a bit closer to that goal.

BasileusJay

#11 Post by BasileusJay »

Hey everyone, we've launched a Patreon, so please consider becoming a backer! All funding goes towards finishing Romance of Raskya and creating future 18+ visual novels.