The Dawn Shield Gardening Club [Comedy, Slice of Life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
solidbatman

The Dawn Shield Gardening Club [Comedy, Slice of Life]

#1 Post by solidbatman »

Summary
Within the halls of the newly constructed Eorzea High School, one tightly knit gardening club will wreak havoc and chaos in their unending quest to plant a single flower. From dodge ball tournaments, to heroic sacrifices, the Dawn Shield Gardening Club will stop at nothing to have a little bit of fun together during the school year. Join Persha, Noaa, and Zhani as they recruit new members for their club and do what they can to prevent Persha from going crazy with boredom.

Characters

Persha: A highly energetic Miqo'te who loves nothing more than running around outside through the grass. It was his idea to begin the gardening club for the sole purpose of having an excuse to play around in the dirt and grass some more without getting in trouble.

Noaa: A Lalafell, and de facto leader of the Gardening Club. Noaa loves music, drawing, singing, and dancing, and will find any excuse she can to create a little bit of music. As childhood friends with Persha, she is one of the few people who knows how to handle the spastic Miqo'te and his tendencies.

Zhani: A studious Aura, Zhani loves nature and was a natural fit for the gardening club. She often acts as the mother of the club, making sure everyone is taken care of and stepping in when a club member is in need. Be it food, medical attention, tutoring, or just company in general, Zhani is always glad to lend a hand.

Araceli: Araceli has recently moved into the city from a far away town in the north. Lacking in any sense of direction or maybe even sense at all, the young Hyur often finds herself lost or caught up in relatively outlandish situations. She joins the gardening club as a means of returning a favor after being saved by Persha from, what she figured, was certain death.

Anglea: Anglea, the interim student council president has the unenviable task of ensuring the gardening club is following all of the school rules and regulations for club conduct. She is seemingly good at everything she attempts, having stellar grades and being shockingly athletic. However, despite her outwardly strict attitude, it would seem that Anglea might be slightly more mischievous than first believed.

Sujih: A no-nonsense member of quite a few school sports teams, Sujih finds herself getting wrapped up increasingly in the gardening club's escapades throughout the school. As quiet as she is tomboyish, she finds it somewhat difficult to make friends, not that she is especially interested in making them.

Screenshots

Credits
Character and CG Art: Charmiespecs
BG Art: mugenjohncel
GUI: Namastaii
Music: Kevin MacLeod
The boring stuff: solidbatman
Target Release Date: Summer 2019

This project is a learning experience for me as I learn my way around Ren'py in preparation for a larger, more serious project. The characters are based off of the Final Fantasy XIV characters in the Free Company I am a part of. A special thanks for my Free Company for without their motivation, characters, and friendship, this project would have never taken shape. A huge thank you also to the Ren'py community for fantastic guides, CC assets, and the engine itself. I hope this project is of interest to people, and am open to any feedback.
Last edited by solidbatman on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: The Dawn Shield Gardening Club [Comedy, Slice of Life]

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Wow, I love the art for this! All the characters look so cute. Also good choice of CC GUI haha, I'm using the same one in one of my own projects right now. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates! Would I need to know much background information about Final Fantasy XIV to understand the story though?
ImageImageImage

solidbatman

#3 Post by solidbatman »

parttimestorier wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm Wow, I love the art for this! All the characters look so cute. Also good choice of CC GUI haha, I'm using the same one in one of my own projects right now. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates! Would I need to know much background information about Final Fantasy XIV to understand the story though?
Nope! It was conceived as an alternate universe with the characters. There will be some references to people and places in FFXIV, but these will mostly be fan service in nature.

Piper
Regular
Projects: Refraction

#4 Post by Piper »

Looks quite fun and unique! I can't wait to give it a try. ^_^

solidbatman

#5 Post by solidbatman »

Piper wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 pm Looks quite fun and unique! I can't wait to give it a try. ^_^
Thank you! I'm hoping to have some sort of short demo available in the next few weeks, so look forward to it!

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#6 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

This seems a cute and heartwarming VN! Can't wait to play it when it's done
a few years ago me and my friends in university are starting a gardening group ourselves haha and planning to register it as a official club but sadly the uni changed a few regulations and we didn't have enough members-- (we collected like 15 people and suddenly they said we need 25 or 30..? I forgot)

I'd like to see how the gardening club goes in this VN and if Persha will roll around hahaha
also it's a bit early but I can resist making a small fanart because Persha reminds me of my favorite kind of flower which is Sunflower <3
Persha chibi fanart.jpg

solidbatman

#7 Post by solidbatman »

YuukiCrossPudding wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:21 pm This seems a cute and heartwarming VN! Can't wait to play it when it's done
a few years ago me and my friends in university are starting a gardening group ourselves haha and planning to register it as a official club but sadly the uni changed a few regulations and we didn't have enough members-- (we collected like 15 people and suddenly they said we need 25 or 30..? I forgot)

I'd like to see how the gardening club goes in this VN and if Persha will roll around hahaha
also it's a bit early but I can resist making a small fanart because Persha reminds me of my favorite kind of flower which is Sunflower <3

I love the art! Worry not, Persha's dreams will come true regardless if he gets his club off the ground or not! Luckily for him, I get to change the regulations for clubs at will in this VN ;)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

I don't know anything about Final Fantasy but this seems really cute! I can tell just based on the opening post that this project has a great, lighthearted sense of humor. Looking forward to seeing progress on this!

solidbatman

#9 Post by solidbatman »

I took the month of March off to work on grad school projects and give my artist a break. We're back and refreshed and the final two characters are being drawn currently. Next update should allow me to provide a tease of one of them.

solidbatman

#10 Post by solidbatman »

June 6th, 2019 Update:

Added the final two characters to the information page as well as updated screenshots of the game after some UI tweaks for readability. A demo is also being polished up that includes the first 15 minutes of the VN. My goal is to have that ready within two weeks for people to get a taste of the Dawn Shield Gardening Club. I look forward to sharing more detailed character profiles next week!