Garden of Seif [3D Camera][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
sunasrose
Regular
Projects: Garden of Seif; Old Lucid9 Creative
Organization: Foxdrift Studios
Deviantart: sunasrose

Garden of Seif [3D Camera][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

#1 Post by sunasrose » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 am

Iris Lapis, an undercover assassin, seeks to exterminate a hitlist of Imperials that have darkened her past. Enter Seth Salazar, a cunning Imperial man that promises to help her on her quest for revenge, but at what cost?

Story

This story rich kinetic novel blends war action-drama with romance in the fantasy world of Aradan. 15 years after the Golden Shift Rebellion, the Setsun Empire seeks to reclaim it's territory, including the isolated citadel Nohiria. Iris Lapis, a Nohirian soldier by day and a belly dancer by night, goes by the alias Layla. Wounded after a squad of Imperials murdered her beloved, she dances at an underground tavern called The Spitting Cobra where she hunts Imperial men. There she meets Seth Salazar, an Imperial assassin disguised as a Nohirian official, tasked with eliminating the elite leaders of the rebellion. Iris finds herself in a vicious game of cat and mouse as Seth promises to provide Iris with intel on the whereabouts of her hitlist... as long as she cooperates with his vicious plans. But as her fake friendship with Seth unfolds into something more real, Iris is torn between her faithfulness to her country or revenge.

Interviews with the Cast

Further Details

~Kinetic novel in renpy.
~Female's perspective. The main character has a rich background, motive, and distinct personality.
~This will be a commercial project.
~PG13 due to swearing and dark themes.
~Mixture of lighthearted humor, drama, romance, action-adventure, fantasy, and mystery.
~Vast world lore and character backgrounds. We are considering keeping a "journal" of some sort for the player to revert back to in order to keep up with all of the information. However, this may not be prepared in time for the demo.
~Backgrounds of the different cities in the fantasy world Aradan. The demo will take place in the first city, Nohiria. The rest of the story will take place in different places within this fantasy world.
~Fully colored CGs
~Music and SFX for a fully immersive experience
~The demo should be released by Fall 2019.

Overall, there's a handful of people involved with this project. We estimate that the novel will be approximately 80,000 words. This project has been in development for almost two years, it has gone through a lot of changes and it's finally come together. We are excited to finally release the demo and see how people react to it. :D -Suna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Credits
Writer and Project Leader: Aeriel C. (Suna)
Programmer: Erik Perez
Sprite Artist & CGs: Remnantation
Backgrounds: Karen Joy R. Manansala
Art Designer: Elijah Munoz
Music: Kevin Macleod, Sinakhai, & mostly Soundstripe artists (a detailed list will be shown in credits)
Assistant: Alexis
Marketing: Alexis, Aeriel, Marc Martinez
GUI: Suna
Proofreader: Aeriel, Alexis, (With the help of Grammarly :lol: )
Teaser & Video Assets: Aeriel
Our questions for you:

1. What do you think about the premise, do you look forward to the demo?
2. How do you feel about the characters?
3. The setting is a little different, (Arabian-inspired fantasy world) is that interesting to you?
4. Do you mind not having choices?
Demo Progress Report:

Writing - 100% (aprox 25k worded DEMO)
Backgrounds - 100%
Sprites - 100%
Music - 100%
CGS - 1 minor CG left
UI - 70%
Bug testing - 0%
Recent Update log:

8/22/2019 - Programming for demo begins.
8/24/2019 - Marketing "campaign" commences. All social media pages go live with weekly postings on Saturday and Wednesday.
9/1/2019 - 3/4 chapters are scripted into the engine. Sprites, BGs, and music not yet implemented.
9/22/2019 - Began drafting changes and fixes for the first build.
10/8/2019 - Made solid implementation of the 3D camera animation in chapter 1.
10/20/2019 - Crafted most of the 3D camera visuals in chapter 1.
Last edited by sunasrose on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

akrasia
Projects: Housebound
Tumblr: akrasiagames
Deviantart: siaakra
itch: siaakra

Re: Garden of Seif [Kinetic][Adventure, Romance]

#2 Post by akrasia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

What do you think about the premise, do you look forward to the demo?
The premise sounds interesting and I'm definitely going to follow this thread to keep up to date. :) I look forward to the demo.

How do you feel about the characters?
They all sound fantastic! The MC doesn't appear to be air-headed and as long as she doesn't get pulled around by the other characters with no will of her own, I'm happy. I'm intrigued by Ace, curious to find out more! I'm assuming that Seth is the love interest, and he's the type of character that I love to hate, but hate to love. :)

The setting is a little different, (Arabian-inspired fantasy world) is that interesting to you?
Yes! Nearly being thirty I'm really looking forward to VN's that don't revolve around school. While I still enjoy those it's refreshing to move away from it.

Do you mind not having choices?
I do mind, normally I don't look at kinetic novels because it ends up frustrating me that I don't have choices. However, the plot and art interests me enough that I'll look anyway.

If so, would you like to see updates of different versions of the story later on?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question. Sequel versions? Different stories in the same world? Or eventually an interactive novel instead of a kinetic?

:D In conclusion, I am actually excited by the prospect of this game being fully released. I've already mentioned I don't normally read kinetic novels but a plot that is different, a MC with actual motive and personality, as well as vast lore and decent character backgrounds? Sign me up. Depending on how much lore and background information there will be a journal is a fantastic idea too. Also, the end of the trailer the wording feels like it implies that the player will have some control over her getting revenge or giving in to the Empire.

I wish you all the best of luck! I really look forward to seeing it in action.

sunasrose
Regular

#3 Post by sunasrose » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:35 am

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm happy to hear that someone is interested!

As far as my last question, referring to different versions of the story, I was thinking to have some sort of "unlockable" chapters, once the readers finish the first playthrough. This is just an idea, but it'd basically be different versions of the story. I was thinking this would give it similar vibes to "choice" novels and delivering more replay value.
Writer, Editor and aspiring game dev. Design Portfolio here: http://dropr.com/portfolio127638

sunasrose
Regular

#4 Post by sunasrose » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello! This thread has been updated with sleek and clean character cards, social media links, as well as the expected release for the demo! :lol:

Here is a sneak peak of one of the GoS backgrounds:

Writer, Editor and aspiring game dev. Design Portfolio here: http://dropr.com/portfolio127638

sunasrose
Regular

Re: Garden of Seif [Kinetic][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

#5 Post by sunasrose » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

GOS_Screenshot1.jpg
Seth Salazar the "double agent"
Bumping with a sneak peek of the gameplay! Programming is underway and the demo will be released very soon!

sunasrose
Regular

Re: Garden of Seif [Kinetic][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

#6 Post by sunasrose » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Bumping with a new sneak peek video showcasing our 3D camera!! Progress!

We are hastily trying to pump this demo out ASAP, but life is really slowly down our initial goal of an October release. Regardless, we plan on pushing through and promise to keep everyone updated. This visual novel is going to happen.

Thank you!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Garden of Seif [3D Camera][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

#7 Post by gekiganwing » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm

For a moment, I thought the title of this story was "Garden of Self." Oops. :)
sunasrose wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 am
Iris Lapis, an undercover assassin, seeks to exterminate a hitlist of Imperials that have darkened her past. Enter Seth Salazar, a cunning Imperial man that promises to help her on her quest for revenge, but at what cost?

If you sell this story, you could use these two sentences as your elevator pitch. That said... if this will be a commercial product, then think about writing a few alternate pitches. You might benefit by writing a single sentence in order to promote your story. Likewise, you might benefit by not mentioning the characters' names.
sunasrose wrote:
Positive. I appreciate stories in which major characters have social lives, professions, goals, and skills. As far as I can tell, your characters have all four.
sunasrose wrote:
3. The setting is a little different, (Arabian-inspired fantasy world) is that interesting to you?
It's interesting. I think it's good when a fictional setting seems fully realized. (I try to discourage people from writing caricatures of real places, as well as "Tolkien hand-me-down" standard fantasy settings.)
sunasrose wrote:
If you believe that your story will be better without choices or alternate endings, then don't include them.

sunasrose
Regular

Re: Garden of Seif [3D Camera][Adventure, Romance][Assassins][Female Protagonist]

#8 Post by sunasrose » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:22 pm

gekiganwing wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm
For a moment, I thought the title of this story was "Garden of Self." Oops. :)
sunasrose wrote:

If you sell this story, you could use these two sentences as your elevator pitch. That said... if this will be a commercial product, then think about writing a few alternate pitches. You might benefit by writing a single sentence in order to promote your story. Likewise, you might benefit by not mentioning the characters' names.
sunasrose wrote:
Positive. I appreciate stories in which major characters have social lives, professions, goals, and skills. As far as I can tell, your characters have all four.
sunasrose wrote:
It's interesting. I think it's good when a fictional setting seems fully realized. (I try to discourage people from writing caricatures of real places, as well as "Tolkien hand-me-down" standard fantasy settings.)
sunasrose wrote:
If you believe that your story will be better without choices or alternate endings, then don't include them.
Whoops. I actually worry the name is deterring people from reading about the novel. Everyone I show it to asks me how to pronounce it :lol: But I mean... I struggle to say dangonronpa... And people played that, so I feel like I'm in the clear. :lol:

Anywho, thank you so much for your feedback, especially regarding the pitch. I spent so long trying to figure out how to pitch this massive story into two sentences without getting any real feedback on it. I really appreciate that you've given me your expertise. I think it would definitely be beneficial to cut to the chase and leave out the character names. I can also see how the first sentence of my current logline can provide enough information to the readers. I also feel like keeping both sentences juxtaposed captures the-I suppose the irony?-of the situation: an Imperial-hater working with an Imperial.