"A Simple Gesture" - Studio Yuraki - Artist of DDLC [Slice of Life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ARxOW

"A Simple Gesture" - Studio Yuraki - Artist of DDLC [Slice of Life]

#1 Post by ARxOW »

A Simple Gesture
Synopsis
Set in modern day Japan "A Simple Gesture" Captures the beauty, and wonders of the childhood friendship between Miyuki, and her best friend Yu. A friendship that gives each other joy, in their lives of unfairness. There's so much more to this story, and the hidden meaning behind it that is just waiting to be seen, but sadly we cannot give you too much information regarding the story since this visual novel will be an experience best served unknowingly.
Information
The visual novel will have 0 sprites, and everything will be a Character Graphic (30+ CGs) or a captivating background.

Writing, Directing by Edward Kloss founder and animation director of Studio Yuraki

Character Art is done by the artist of DDLC: Satchely, and Studio Yuraki's Background Department

There will be an animated cut scene by Studio Yuraki - Example of Studio Yuraki's animation quality. https://twitter.com/StudioYuraki/status ... 4778917888

The visual novel will be free-to-play on Steam.

Some of the story is slowly being revealed on the official twitter page! https://twitter.com/SimpleGestureVN

Follow the development on either the twitter listed above or on discord! discord.gg/XVcgeJe
Music
Our incredible music department is hard at work creating a beautifully crafted album that will for sure stand apart from many English Visual Novels. We will have tracks that include vocals to capture your heart, and fine tuned instrumentals to bring out the beauty of each scene. We understand how truly important it is to have fantastic music, and we are putting as much money towards that, as we are to our art. Portions of our album will be releasing soon, stay tuned for updates!
More Art!
Discussion
1. What are your first impressions on "A Simple Gesture" in terms of genre, tone and art quality? What kind of content are you expecting from what you've seen?

2. Does the setting and premise feel unique that it makes you want to learn more about A Simple Gesture?

3. If we were to release a Kick Starter to further and/or to meet our story telling's ambition would you be interested in supporting it? We intend to include a beautifully detailed art book, exclusive posters, have your name in the credits of the game, exclusive posters etc.

Any other feedback are welcome! Please ask any questions on our discord page as we are more likely be able to reply!
Last edited by ARxOW on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: "A Simple Gesture" - Studio Yuraki - DDLC: Artist [Slice of Life]

#2 Post by papillon »

Honestly my first impression is: why? Why would you apparently invest tens of thousands into a 'free' game? Is there some weird trick behind it where it's "free to play" but you can only play a few minutes at a time unless you pay for tickets? Is it intended as a short freebie to increase interest for your studio in order to fund a larger project?

I'm wary of huge overly-ambitious free projects for a lot of reasons but I don't want to derail the topic by going into that. :)

andalusian
Regular

#3 Post by andalusian »

1. it is very pretty for sure, characters and backgrounds. DDLC's pretty character sprites were what made me play DDLC right away (and helped me avoid spoilers, because if i had played it a week after release, i would have been spoiled for sure, lol) so it is very nice that the artist continues working on VNs! as for the tone, im not much into slice of life, but if it is free i will play it anyway.

2. slice of life with japanese kids is not unique, i guess. frankly im more impressed by the art.

3. no but i avoid kickstarter entirely

btw you may want to add "BxG" to the topic title.

ARxOW

#4 Post by ARxOW »

papillon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am Honestly my first impression is: why? Why would you apparently invest tens of thousands into a 'free' game? Is there some weird trick behind it where it's "free to play" but you can only play a few minutes at a time unless you pay for tickets? Is it intended as a short freebie to increase interest for your studio in order to fund a larger project?

I'm wary of huge overly-ambitious free projects for a lot of reasons but I don't want to derail the topic by going into that. :)
Our intention with this project is to spread the message to as many people as possible. With all projects of Studio Yuraki profit is none of our concern. If we cared so much about profit it would derail us from creating a high quality product. "A Simple Gesture" would be a case were Edward Kloss the founder of the studio would feel insulted if you had to pay even a dollar in order to get the full experience. Their will be optional purchases of the OST, and Digital Art book for fans who wish to show some support. I understand your concern for overly - ambitious, but this is nothing compared to the ambitions of our future projects or the animation projects. We are more than capable of succeeding it's just how long will it take for us to gather more funds to finish quicker.

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

Re: "A Simple Gesture" - Studio Yuraki - Artist of DDLC [Slice of Life]

#5 Post by Johan »

a -
Last edited by Johan on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

coda_
Projects: Primrose Path
Organization: Quiet Days

Re: "A Simple Gesture" - Studio Yuraki - Artist of DDLC [Slice of Life]

#6 Post by coda_ »

1. What are your first impressions on "A Simple Gesture" in terms of genre, tone and art quality? What kind of content are you expecting from what you've seen?

From what the pitch has let on, it's going to be a slice-of-life with dramatic undertones. It may try to contrast the purity of children with the reality of a big, cruel world, and use child subjects to yank on some heartstrings. The innocuous phrasing comes across as foreboding to me, but I'm also a cynical adult and I'm assuming this story is for a mature audience.

The art quality is fantastic!

Honestly, I'm expecting a darker, exploratory story that's much greater than these two child protagonists.

2. Does the setting and premise feel unique that it makes you want to learn more about A Simple Gesture?

You've given very little to the premise so I can't comment to that. The setting is based in Japan, which is common for the visual novel medium considering its origins (and many Western fans of it have also emulated the "anime" style and Japanese setting/values), so no, I don't find it unique.

But that also doesn't matter, because there is nothing new under the sun. It's less about being unique and more about being interesting, in which case, I am interested because you've not given me much information for the project and I enjoy the art (big kudos to the background artist!). I'm interested in the lack of sprites and wonder how much animated scenes will play a part in the art direction. I'm interested in how you choose to filter the world through a child's perspective.

3. If we were to release a Kick Starter to further and/or to meet our story telling's ambition would you be interested in supporting it? We intend to include a beautifully detailed art book, exclusive posters, have your name in the credits of the game, exclusive posters etc.

I very rarely pledge to KS. There's also not much content presented here or on your Twitter so I'll wait and see. That said, plenty of other people will and do pledge, so little ol' me won't matter if you were to release with more substantive content. It'll clearly get traction, but may people who (otherwise would but) are wary of KS are because of being burned by other creators' failures to deliver on promised merchandising and then not addressing/resolving the issue, and also making refunds difficult. So have reasonable projections and be communicative to supporters if you go to crowdfund, is all those folks ask for.