Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aureus
Veteran
Completed: The Tavern, Tales From Windy Meadow
Projects: Roadwarden
Organization: Moral Anxiety Studio
itch: moral-anxiety

Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]

#61 Post by Aureus »

nomarsh wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:24 pm Blows my mind that this is done in RenPy. Really cool game.
Thank you! Some of the systems that are now in the game were too difficult for me alone, but thanks to the help of the kind folks at this very forum, I've managed to implement them.
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

Aureus
Veteran

#62 Post by Aureus »

It took me a full month, but I’m finished with the Foggy Lake tavern, one of the last large areas in Roadwarden - well, at least when it comes to the things the PC can do here, not its “actual” size. ; ) The keeper of this place knows more about the peninsula than anyone in the North, but she rarely shares her knowledge for free.

I was missing this feeling - during the previous few months I was focused on small content chunks and little areas, and now I was able to truly explore this place and the personalities of its dwellers. I’m quite happy with all the unique interactions you’ll find here, inventing them was such a pleasure. I can see how my XP grind affects the structure of specific scenes, as well as the overall quality of writing. It’s been going great, and I’m learning so much!

This place is especially unique since some players will reach it after maybe and hour and a half of playtime (or a minute of speedrunning), encountering it as a first large shelter in the game and the introduction to the “civilized” part of the world, while for others it’s going to be a spot reached after 10+ hours, and in such a case its impact will be very different. I had to take both of these scenarios into consideration, and well, I can’t wait to show you the results. ^^
screenshot0001.png
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
screenshot0004.png
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

Aureus
Veteran

#63 Post by Aureus »

The new title screen, with a slightly altered prologue. I think it looks pretty good, and I still love the music.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#64 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Oh, now you're being modest. It doesn't just look "pretty good", this is gorgeous, moody, professional quality work. Quality pixel art is, in my opinion, some of the hardest to find. But this is absolutely amazing. I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on this game

That is a great song, btw, I'm with you
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Aureus
Veteran

#65 Post by Aureus »

PassiveChicken wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:05 pm Oh, now you're being modest.
I really appreciate it. I'm terrible and rating my own work, I honestly feel like I completely lose any sort of distance to it if I spend too much time with it, sometimes unable to spot how bad it got because I'm just so emotionally involved in the process.

I'm sad to admit the game still needs a fair bit of time, more than half a year. I just want to put so many things into it, I feel like rushing the game would make me regret it for years.

Aureus
Veteran

#66 Post by Aureus »

There’s been many changes in Roadwarden’s UI, what’s also tied to the way the game is played. Here you can see the completely changed magic system, the new trading menus, and the redesigned world map. There have been many more changes, and but I’ll save the explanations for the upcoming devlog.

All this while I’m also writing new content. This autumn has been great for the game, and no wonder - it synergizes with the color palette I use. ; )
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Aureus
Veteran

#67 Post by Aureus »

I hesitate to share the new visuals from the game since many of them would ruin a few surprises I’ve prepared for you, but as I get better at placing pixels, I sometimes have to take a step back and update this and that. Icons, UI, illustrations.

Here are two examples. The first one is the camp from the game’s opening section - the second picture ever finished for the project. Some of the mistakes I fixed now are a bit embarrassing.
militarycampoldvsnew.png

The second one used to be a generic mountain road, just a background displayed as the player rides through the highlands. Now it’s not only adapted to the new visual style of the game, it’s also an actual in-game area, a place which can be explored and interacted with.
oldvsnewmountainroad.png
A year ago I wouldn’t be able to just make this bridge and figure out how to add it to the picture... But here it is. I’m happy. : )

Aureus
Veteran

#68 Post by Aureus »

Here goes the new Roadwarden devlog!

I cover the UI changes, the updated visuals, new tools for the players, the redesigned magic system... I tried to keep it short, but in general, autumn was great for the game, and I have high hopes for the winter season.

Aureus
Veteran

#69 Post by Aureus »

Creeks is the youngest and the smallest settlement in the peninsula, started by a group of refugees who fled from the war only twenty five years ago. At first supported by the locals, they had to quickly find a new home. They raised their settlement among the unclaimed hills, trying to tame the forest and its infertile soil, but with little success. The inexperienced newcomers, most of which used to be townsfolk, struggled to efficiently utilize the available resources. Cramped in small huts, forced to forage and hunt to survive, they lost many souls to hunger and beasts before the end of the first decade.

Those who survived grew close to one another, and the new generation considers the entire village to be a single, large family, where everyone is obliged to support all the other members of the community. Their humble crops are not enough to keep them healthy, but they do their best to master the art of carpentry, hoping to replace their dangerous hunting trips with trade.
test1.png
test2.png
test3.png
test4.png

Aureus
Veteran

#70 Post by Aureus »

Since both wood and stone are valuable building materials, the abandoned shelters usually get dismantled. The only ones which remain are either so difficult to reach that they are not worth the struggle, or are kept just in case, so that the locals have an option to quickly rebuild them once the better days arrive.

Keeping the ruins also comes with a risk - clearings lure those of the creatures which need space to build their own nests, while walls can be a solid basis for a new lair.

Aureus
Veteran

#71 Post by Aureus »

It’s been a year since the last time I visited Howler’s Dell... It now looks somewhat prettier. : )

I currently work on the ambient nature sounds for the game, and next week I’ll start writing new scenes and interactions, in the meantime updating the older illustrations... This winter is great for the game. ^^

Aureus
Veteran

#72 Post by Aureus »

The residence of the magic crafter. October 2019 vs February 2021.
I’m so, so happy with this one.
eudociahousewhole.png
eudociahousewholeNEW.png

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#73 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Any thoughts on release date for this bad boy? Because hot dang, I'm itching to play
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#74 Post by Noire »

I absolutely adore your pixel art style. Cant wait for the release.

I also see that you are a fellow polish developer, nice :)

Aureus
Veteran

#75 Post by Aureus »

That's really weird, I received neither of the notifications for your comments, nor here, nor at the top of the page. I'm so sorry for the late responses.
SupersizeMyHeart wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm Any thoughts on release date for this bad boy?
I'm afraid it doesn't look good. : ( I was hoping to close the project in September, but I'm afraid the game will have to go through some massive rewrites since it's getting pretty chaotic and the balancing is waaaay of. I'm not sure I'll be done this year, though I hate to admit it.
Noire wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm I absolutely adore your pixel art style. (...) I also see that you are a fellow polish developer, nice :)
Thanks a lot! Below you can see how much it takes for me to learn. : P And cześć!

------------------

The many faces of the Clean Spear inn, previously known as a tavern.

cleanspear05.png