The Silent Column [BxG][Supernatural][Psychological][Mystery][Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
SelLi
Veteran
Projects: The Silent Column
itch: sellillianna

The Silent Column [BxG][Supernatural][Psychological][Mystery][Romance]

#1 Post by SelLi » Thu May 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Synopsis
In The Silent Column, you play as Tashen about a month after a terrible event referred to as "the fall", which caused the people of Liberare – the only known city – to go insane, kill themselves, and kill others. The air was hot and humid, the grass was red and razor sharp, the sky was yellow, the sand was black...
Now, however, those events feel like a dream: The fall ended as quickly as it started, sinking the blood and bodies into the earth and returning everything to normal.
Though Tashen doesn't yet know it, the fall is connected to many other large mysteries. How well does he honestly know the other survivors, himself, or the world he finds himself in?
Characters
Despite many events of The Silent Column taking place after the catastrophic events of the fall, there are many characters. Some main ones are listed here:

Thidria
(Picture will be uploaded.)
A silver-haired girl living by the shore of the one known lake, Thidria filters water as best she can for herself and Tashen when he asks. She seems to be averse to meeting other survivors, but doesn't object to spending time with Tashen.

Kina
Tashen's sister, Kina started struggling from some kind of mental disorder before the fall occurred and struggles with it more intensely, afterward, along with the trauma of the fall. Thankfully, a doctor's assistant survived the fall and stationed himself at an abandoned hospital to treat any potential survivors to the best of his abilities. While he wasn't trained to treat mental disorders, he does what he can to help Kina.

Lockette
A silver-haired and clammy-skinned girl who appears to be mute. She seems to like touching things quite a lot.

Nithi
Seemingly a mother figure to Serra, Nithi can be quite welcoming but seems to have underlying cold and calculating thoughts.

Josephine
Having taken in a young orphan named Keith before the fall, and having also worked at a restaurant preparing various dishes before the fall, Josephine spends most of her time living with Keith and Tashen, preparing meals for the three of them as well as Kina with whatever she and Tashen can find in the ruins of the city.

Lisa
A high schooler who was friends with Maielle and Patricia before the fall.

Maielle
A high schooler who was friends with Lisa and Patricia before the fall.

April
Having strange eyes and seemingly familiar to Tashen, April struggles with an often violent mental disorder which – though Tashen is no expert on mental disorders – strikes Tashen as being some extreme form of multiple personality disorder. She seems to be friends with Serra and Nithi, who each claim to have never seen her get violent, before. She also seems to be friends with Sal.

Serra
A young girl with golden hair, Serra’s self-proclaimed friends with Sal, Nithi, and April. When Tashen met her, she was still very distraught by the fall and, after she calmed down, she struck him as being startlingly mature for her age, so much so that he fears that her short life has been hard, even before the fall.

Sal
Sal spends most of her time with a very small group of other survivors looking for other people in the abandoned city, which is quite a kind thing to do for someone who strikes Tashen as having an abrasive, almost hateful personality.

Risa
A strange and mysterious metal being of unknown origin. Patricia briefly encountered this being when approaching the wreckage of a flaming, fallen object made out of seemingly the same metal.
Sample CGs
Backgrounds
Chapter 1 progress
Drafted scenes:
2/30
Completed scenes:
0/30
Base sprites:
1/24
CGs:
0/28
Backgrounds:
2/19
Songs:
0/?

Chapter 1 has only been structured recently. I had been working on aspects of The Silent Column before the structure for chapter 1 was formed, but I was working without direction and, so, much of the work may end up not being used.

When chapter 1 is completed, I'll release it for everyone to see, but whether it will be released as the first chapter of an episodic visual novel or simply as the demo for the rest of the non-episodic visual novel, I have yet to decide.
Last edited by SelLi on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 32 times in total.

drinkerofmilk
itch: socah

Re: The Silent Column [BxG][Supernatural][Psychological][Mystery][Romance]

#2 Post by drinkerofmilk » Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Very cool and trippy artwork.

'The fall' seems like an interesting and mysterious concept. Are you going to introduce players to the details of the fall early on in the game? Or is it more like something they will slowly find out about as they progress? I think it has a lot of potential.

SelLi
Veteran

#3 Post by SelLi » Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm

drinkerofmilk wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Very cool and trippy artwork.

'The fall' seems like an interesting and mysterious concept. Are you going to introduce players to the details of the fall early on in the game? Or is it more like something they will slowly find out about as they progress? I think it has a lot of potential.
Thank you and I'm glad you like the artwork. :)
I was thinking of having players find out details about the fall as they play. Perhaps some characters will have flashback chapters to what happened during the fall, or there will be bonus chapters where the reader can discover what happened to certain characters who were mentioned, but who don't appear because of dying during the fall. All that said, though, there are also other large mysteries, and some of them may dwarf the near-apocalyptic event.

drinkerofmilk
itch: socah

#4 Post by drinkerofmilk » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 am

SelLi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm
I was thinking of having players find out details about the fall as they play.
That feels like the right way to go. It would make the first line of your synopsis a major spoiler though. :o

SelLi
Veteran

#5 Post by SelLi » Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 am

drinkerofmilk wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 am
SelLi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm
I was thinking of having players find out details about the fall as they play.
That feels like the right way to go. It would make the first line of your synopsis a major spoiler though. :o
Hmm, I see your point. Understanding that people went insane and killed themselves and others is established fairly early on, though, and the other details about the fall listed in the synopsis aren't really spoilers. What isn't mentioned is the "why".

SelLi
Veteran

#6 Post by SelLi » Wed May 22, 2019 1:16 am

Hello everyone, here's the update for these 2 weeks.

I'm currently at around 5206 words according to my word count (But then again, according to that word count "..." seems to be considered a word for some reason................) and I've been working on several non-spoiler pictures that are at various stages of completion.

A shot of a city:
https://i.postimg.cc/MG47MfRK/city.png

A sprite of Sal:
https://i.postimg.cc/Rh1KDPYN/Sal-Neutral.png

A CG of Serra holding a box:
https://i.postimg.cc/h4VLvjGc/Serra-Holding-Box.png

As for what I was writing about, I wrote two small scenes between Tashen and Lisa, a small scene between Tashen and Kina, a small scene between Tashen and Nithi, a small scene to introduce Tashen, and a small scene before the fall introducing Patricia, Maielle, and Lisa as they talk about a monster that one of them saw first-hand. I also wrote a small scene between Tashen and Sal.

In the same vein of working on this project, I've downloaded a few visual novels that - to my knowledge - are of professional quality, and have been playing them to help me get better at writing and for inspiration.

I'm excited to continue creating this story that I've loved and wanted to tell for many years. I'll see you in the next update, two weeks from today. ^^ See you, then.

SelLi
Veteran

#7 Post by SelLi » Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I couldn't wait to let you guys know about my progress on Serra's sprites. I have two expressions for this one pose (happy and happy, looking away from the player), and I think she's looking great.
This is how she used to look:

Aniknk
Regular

#8 Post by Aniknk » Sun May 26, 2019 2:24 am

Serra looks kinda odd, but surely it's very artistic style. Kinda like it. :D
I wish I had an talent to do graphics. Or any other talents. But you know what they talking about people without any talents, they have a big pe***es. No wait. They talk so about people with big feets...

SelLi
Veteran

#9 Post by SelLi » Sun May 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Aniknk wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:24 am
Serra looks kinda odd, but surely it's very artistic style. Kinda like it. :D
I know how you feel: When I glance at her I feel like she looks odd but whenever I look at her more, I think she looks good. Kind of strange, but I'm glad you kinda like it. I kinda like it, too.

SelLi
Veteran

#10 Post by SelLi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:07 pm

I lost a few pieces of writing because of poor file management, but it was a blessing because I rewrote the scene between Maielle, Patricia, and Lisa in art class (while the characters are in art class, not while I myself was in art class) and I think this version is better.
I've also written the scene where Tashen meets Amy for the first time, and worked on the story structure a bit. I like how things are going.
I'm working a little bit on a CG, but it's a spoiler so I shouldn't share it, even when it is done.
But I've been making some art pieces unrelated to TSC where I've been experimenting with Fire Alpaca's watercolor brush, and I'm liking using it quite a lot~! It's very intuitive - I just open a canvas and start painting on one layer, for the most part. It's the technique I'm using for the spoiler CG I'm working on, and I can see using it for a lot of the artwork. Between discovering this new way of making art and feeling that Serra's sprite is somehow a little bit weird as it is... I may redo it at some point. See you in the next update.

SelLi
Veteran

#11 Post by SelLi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:49 am

Hi there, just posting an update for these last two weeks. I haven't been working much on The Silent Column these two weeks to be honest with you, but I did write a scene where Josephine is talking to Tashen after Tashen first meets Amy, and I've been working on artwork for another project which, while it is separate, is helping me improve my art skills. I'll see you in the next update. :)

SelLi
Veteran

#12 Post by SelLi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 am

SelLi
Veteran

#13 Post by SelLi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 am

Hi everyone. :) Haven't been working on The Silent Column, lately. I've been busy looking for work and working on my traditional card game. The Silent Column really is very big project that I'm very personally attached to... and so, I've been thinking about working on another visual novel that doesn't have such a tight hold on me, and that isn't as big. To get used to making artwork more, writing without second guessing myself a billion times, getting familiar with releasing things properly, and to try to healthily separate myself from The Silent Column and stop thinking of it as "my baby" so much. So, I don't think I'll be working on The Silent Column in the immediate future. Whenever I start working on this, again, I'll dig up this thread.

SelLi
Veteran

#14 Post by SelLi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi you guys. While I think that my last post made a lot of sense, I honestly just want to keep working on The Silent Column and not start another VN project right now. I've been doing a little more work on it, but I don't think I'll be updating this thread on any sort of schedule or anything like that.
This is Lisa. She's a high schooler who was friends with Maielle and Patricia before the fall.

SelLi
Veteran

#15 Post by SelLi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:31 pm

I made a new sprite of Serra and have been writing, a little bit. This sprite doesn't seem to mesh too well with her other sprite - in fact, her other sprite also doesn't seem to mesh well with the sprite of Lisa - but I like them all. I may just use all of them... my art varies anyway, so I don't know if I'd be able to make an entire visual novel with a completely consistent-looking set of pictures. Then again, I might scrap the previous sprite. It is a little bit sketchy, even just compared to the other pictures. I don't quite know what I'll do, yet, but regardless, I like this picture and thought I'd post it here.
Edit: I do really like this picture, though, so if I can make an entire visual novel in this style... I think I'd really like that. ^_^