The Silent Column (Closed)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Re: The Silent Column [BxG][Supernatural][Psychological][Mystery][Romance]

#31 Post by SelLi »

I've been writing more in the common route, today. I like how things are going regarding the writing...
Here are some new pictures: a picture of Risa in the style I'm doing, and Liberare in the style I'm doing.
ImageImage
I don't plan on Risa changing her expression because her body's made of metal. I may still end up making several sprites of her in different poses, however.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island

#32 Post by SelLi »

Have been writing a bit more, lately, on the common route. I checked the script and here's what it says:
Statistics:

The game contains 661 dialogue blocks, containing 9,214 words and 47,873
characters, for an average of 13.9 words and 72 characters per block.
Right now, I'm just trying to write in sequence, without skipping around. I find that when I skip around, I sometimes write things that don't get used. That's part of why you may see the word count here as low: some of the writing I did earlier just isn't being used and, while I do plan on using some of my earlier writing, I haven't gotten to the point(s) in the story where they get plugged into it, so they aren't counting toward this word count. Once I do get to the point(s) in the story where they get plugged in, they will count toward the word count. I hope that makes some sense...

Progress is coming slowly and steadily. Hope you're all staying warm and having a nice holiday season. :heart:

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by SelLi »

Lockette is feeling sleepy...

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#34 Post by SelLi »

Happy new year and happy 2020, everybody. ^_^
I just had a vacation and was spending lots of time with people during the holidays, as you'd expect, so I haven't been working on The Silent Column too much, recently. I'm going to have enjoy working on it more, this year. ^^
All that said, I do have a picture for you: another sprite of Serra's:
I've also been thinking of the structure of the story, and think that the demo (aka first part of part of the story) will introduce the player to Serra, Nithi, Amy, Kina, Josephine, and Thidria, and allow them to choose to focus on one of them - so I'll be focusing my efforts toward creating the assets that will be used in that part of the story.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by SelLi »

Earlier I mentioned that when I don't write in sequence, works of writing end up being potentially unusable. As such, I only shared the word count from the beginning of the story to the point where I'd written up to.
Well... that seems to be how it is with making other assets, as well, which is obvious: I need to wait until I have the story written before I can accompany it with art and music. Trying to make art at the same time as the story could give me inspiration, but I may end up creating lots of things that don't actually fit the writing and so won't be used.
So, I'm focusing on the writing until I have the demo written. Then I'll focus on other assets.
Here's the most recent word count in sequence from the start~ ^^
Statistics:

The game contains 1,038 dialogue blocks, containing 13,842 words and 72,006
characters, for an average of 13.3 words and 69 characters per block.
I'll see you next time.

Edit: Actually~ while me talking about not making artwork until the writing's all done made sense on paper, I can't help it~~~ I wanna make art so I will. ^^ Some of it may not end up getting used and that's fine: I just like art making. ^^ It's weird how some things can make sense on paper but not be how people or life work, you know? I'm still trying to write in sequence, though: I'm finding that it's helping me. See y'all next time.

Edit 2: I'm noticing that some pictures aren't getting hosted properly, so~~ here's my Deviant Art. I post a lot of my art on there: https://www.deviantart.com/sellillianna

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by SelLi »

Hi you guys. I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd let you know how things are going~
The word count is currently around 18,700 words. I'm planning on editing things more and writing just a little bit more (say 1,000 or fewer words) and then I think the writing will be done for the demo. After that, I'll focus on creating the artwork and music that the demo will feature.
The demo will be linear and will end when the player chooses between one of 7 choices, deciding to either spend more time with Kina, Josephine, Serra, Nithi, Amy, Thidria, or choosing a neutral option. I plan on 6 of these choices taking the player down the chosen character's route and the 7th choice continuing the player further down the common route where they'll meet more characters and see things unfold around them from a different perspective than they would if the player was on a character's route.
Anyway~ take it easy everyone. I hope you're doing well. I'm having a nice time writing. :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by SelLi »

(This post is outdated.)
Last edited by SelLi on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by SelLi »

A sprite of Serra in front of the light barrier.
Edit: There's supposed to be snow in the dark. I have updated this background with snow at this point: this post just features the outdated background. I think this outdated image still looks nice, though. :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by SelLi »

I did a picture of Amy. :)
I think she looks quite good: I like this better than the old design I was trying for her.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by SelLi »

Thidria is here~! And her character description has been updated in the first post.
I was having trouble drawing more characters digitally, but after doing a small, quick, physical sketch-painting of Thidria, I thankfully overcame that barrier. :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by SelLi »

Nithi's here~
Edit: She looked a little off to me so I edited her a bit. I think she looks much better:

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by SelLi »

I'll probably redraw/put more time into the sprites that I've been posting to look more like this:
I don't dislike the sprite's I've been posting, I just think they need more work and I think I should blend the colors into the outlines, and have the outlines not be pitch black.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by SelLi »

I think this picture of Nithi looks better. :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by SelLi »

I liked the old picture of Amy (with the black outlines) a lot. This new sprite of Amy, more in line with the style of the new Nithi and Lockette sprites, feels cute and quite well done in my opinion, but undeniably has a different character feel. (I also changed her design a little bit while trying to keep elements of the old design in tact.)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by SelLi »

Speaking of Lockette, I thought she needed a little bit of refinement:
ImageImage
Edit: I edited Nithi, too:
ImageImage
Old ones on the left, new ones on the right.
Last edited by SelLi on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.